Pragmatism, by William James

Alan Welsh

Jun 1, 2021, 5:08:14 PM6/1/21
to Standard Ebooks
Available here.

Can I do it?

Alex Cabal

Jun 1, 2021, 5:14:43 PM6/1/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that one would be a good start.

Cut the ToC and "the end". Words that are meant to be in italics are in
ALL CAPS in the transcription so you'll have to carefully fix all of
those. Eyeball each page in the page scans to find italicized `I` which
for obvious reasons would have been omitted from this transcription.

Some quotes are single quoted, some are double for some reason. Convert
single quotes to double quotes but make sure to set book names in
italics and not quotes. See the manual for detailed rules on when
italics are expected.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)

On 6/1/21 4:08 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> Available here <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5116>.
>
> Can I do it?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/494a270b-43ab-4db8-a220-3e483888c93dn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/494a270b-43ab-4db8-a220-3e483888c93dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Message has been deleted

Alan Welsh

Jun 4, 2021, 6:59:56 PM6/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
My document came encoded in us-ascii. I ran the iconv command (per instructions), but the encoding hasn't changed. So I tried changing the encoding from these instructions, and the file -bi command still displays the encoding as us-ascii.

The first line of the document is: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

And I used the save with encoding command in Sublime Text to save the document in utf-8.

Nothing is working.

Any ideas?

Sorry, I'm nube.

Alex Cabal

Jun 4, 2021, 7:02:09 PM6/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
us-ascii is a subset of utf-8 so you can leave it as-is. Keep an eye out
for unusual character issues as you proofread but I doubt there will be any.

On 6/4/21 5:59 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> [...]
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics>
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns>
>

> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography>
>
> The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:
>
> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>
>

> Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
> well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
> whatever problem you've encountered.
>
> When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so

Message has been deleted

Alan Welsh

Jun 4, 2021, 7:29:01 PM6/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
If I cut the cruft at the top (per instructions), I receive an error about the document's use of &mdash. In your original message, you didn't tell me to cut the top. Should I cut it and correct the uses of &mdash? Or leave it?

Alex Cabal

Jun 4, 2021, 7:30:31 PM6/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Run typogrify first, it should replace &mdash with the actual unicode
character. You can run clean later.

On 6/4/21 6:29 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> If I cut the cruft at the top (per instructions
> <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>), I
> receive an error about the document's use of *&mdash*. In your original
> message, you didn't tell me to cut the top. Should I cut it and correct
> the uses of *&mdash*? Or leave it?
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/84880e24-a076-47f5-9ee2-452cea11070an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/84880e24-a076-47f5-9ee2-452cea11070an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/60805294-d093-4394-9196-7d66b0d2bdcbn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/60805294-d093-4394-9196-7d66b0d2bdcbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alan Welsh

Jun 4, 2021, 7:58:24 PM6/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
Okay. I ran typogrify and cut the cruft at the top. The document can now display in my browser (without that &mdash error) but there are character encoding errors. Here's an example:

Displays asIn America, John Dewey’s ‘Studies in Logical Theory’ are the foundation.

The source codeIn America, John Dewey’s ‘Studies in Logical Theory’ are the foundation.

So that's an error involving apostrophes.

Shall I continue following the directions? Or should I stop and do something else?

Alex Cabal

Jun 4, 2021, 7:59:27 PM6/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Change the character encoding that your browser is using. It probably
defaults to some iso-latin thing but the document is utf-8. As long as
it displays fine in your text editor then don't worry about it.

On 6/4/21 6:58 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> Okay. I ran typogrify and cut the cruft at the top. The document can now
> display in my browser (without that &mdash error) but there are
> character encoding errors. Here's an example:
> /
> /
> *Displays as*: /In America, John Dewey’s ‘Studies in Logical
> Theory’ are the foundation./
> /
> /
> *The source code*: /In America, John Dewey’s ‘Studies in Logical Theory’
> are the foundation./
> /
> /
> So that's an error involving *apostrophes*.
> /
> /
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/60805294-d093-4394-9196-7d66b0d2bdcbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/60805294-d093-4394-9196-7d66b0d2bdcbn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Message has been deleted

Alan Welsh

Jun 4, 2021, 8:22:53 PM6/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Last question for this part.

The top of the document is:

<!DOCTYPE html
 PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd" >

Should I leave it like that? Or should I clean it up?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e20094a-d34a-94fd-d6fe-cd0ed8f52884%40standardebooks.org.

Weijia Cheng

Jun 4, 2021, 8:24:55 PM6/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.0/1-code-style#1.1 You can read this part of the manual.

Alex Cabal

Jun 4, 2021, 8:49:44 PM6/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com, Alan Welsh
See the manual for the correct xhtml header

On June 4, 2021 7:22:40 PM CDT, Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Last question for this part.
>
>The top of the document is:
>

>*<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
>xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml>"
>lang="en">*
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Alan Welsh

Jun 5, 2021, 12:33:55 AM6/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
My GitHub repository

On Friday, June 4, 2021 at 7:34:01 PM UTC-7 Alan Welsh wrote:
A question about the publishing date of one of the versions available from Google. It's a full-text copy, downloadable as a pdf. The publishing information is:publishing date.jpg

Is this okay?

Alex Cabal

Jun 5, 2021, 12:44:05 PM6/5/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you find one with an older printing date?

Don't go by what Google Books says, their data is often wrong. The page
scans are all that matter.

On 6/4/21 9:34 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> A question about the publishing date of one of the versions available
> from Google. It's a full-text copy, downloadable as a pdf. The
> publishing information is:publishing date.jpg
>
> Is this okay?
> >https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e20094a-d34a-94fd-d6fe-cd0ed8f52884%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e20094a-d34a-94fd-d6fe-cd0ed8f52884%40standardebooks.org>
> >> .
> >>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/804f240f-2da4-45d4-b15f-408a0d1a6db2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/804f240f-2da4-45d4-b15f-408a0d1a6db2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alan Welsh

Jun 5, 2021, 3:51:02 PM6/5/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I have two editions. One of the editions is a printing date of 1907. I'll use that one.

Asher Smith

Jun 8, 2021, 12:28:30 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
I'm presuming this is the project where you're having the se clean error? (btw - this is another reason it's useful to have your questions in the same thread where you've posted your repo) Which file is it?

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 12:53:38 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Now I'm having a problem with chapter 8.

I was able to fix the last error (it applied to all the chapters). But now I'm receiving another one I don't understand:

 Exception: Couldn’t parse XHTML file. Exception: Opening and ending
tag mismatch: section line 9 and body, line 467, column 9 (<string>, line 467)

This is line 467:

Doesn’t the very ‘seriousness’ that we attribute to life mean that

Very confusing to me.

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 12:54:38 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Same error, different element. You did not close a tag somewhere, or
it's closed at the wrong depth or in the wrong order.

On 6/8/21 11:53 AM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> [...]
> >https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com>>
> >      >> > <
> >      >>
> >
> >https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/af8b0fd6-348b-4020-9bbe-68a8d3861406n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>
> >      >> >.
> >      >>
> >      >> --
> >      >> You received this message because you are
> subscribed to a topic in
> >      >the
> >      >> Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> >      >> To unsubscribe from this topic, visit
> >      >>

> >      >> To unsubscribe from this group and all its
> topics, send an email to
> >      >> standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> >      >> To view this discussion on the web visit
> >      >>
> >
> >https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e20094a-d34a-94fd-d6fe-cd0ed8f52884%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e20094a-d34a-94fd-d6fe-cd0ed8f52884%40standardebooks.org> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e20094a-d34a-94fd-d6fe-cd0ed8f52884%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2e20094a-d34a-94fd-d6fe-cd0ed8f52884%40standardebooks.org>>
> >      >> .
> >      >>
> >
> > --
> from it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/804f240f-2da4-45d4-b15f-408a0d1a6db2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/804f240f-2da4-45d4-b15f-408a0d1a6db2n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/804f240f-2da4-45d4-b15f-408a0d1a6db2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/804f240f-2da4-45d4-b15f-408a0d1a6db2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
>

> To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 12:56:43 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
So it has nothing to do with line 467, right? I'll try to figure this out.

B Keith

Jun 8, 2021, 1:00:06 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Asher’s advice to open the xhtml file in a browser is probably the best advice. The file will render up until the error and that gives you a good idea of where to start looking :-)

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAC7YwL7t_vr_c0LOCtF9inSRru2s9qcE3x-058nnAW9noAPeGA%40mail.gmail.com.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 1:38:26 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Okay! That did it. All fixed. Thanks everyone.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 3:04:37 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
My source text has a lot of <p> elements strung along together on the same line. Because of this, each chapter file only has roughly 10 lines of code accounting for 6,500 words.

Is there an SE tool for quickly fixing this? Or do I have to do it manually? I've done chapter 1 manually. Feel free to have a look at the other chapters for an example.

Robin Whittleton

Jun 8, 2021, 3:08:26 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yep, run se clean .

On 8 Jun 2021, at 21:04, Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:

My source text has a lot of <p> elements strung along together on the same line. Because of this, each chapter file only has roughly 10 lines of code accounting for 6,500 words.

B Keith

Jun 8, 2021, 3:09:20 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
se clean will fix this.

As soon as the files are correctly formatted you can run it and it will do the whole book. Do it often :-)

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Vince

Jun 8, 2021, 3:14:05 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Are you following the step-by-step guide? If so, step 7 will take care of it. It not, you should be. :)

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 3:21:21 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, I followed through step 7. After running clean, I noticed all the <p>s

Vince

Jun 8, 2021, 3:28:36 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
If clean did that, there’s something else wrong with the files. Line-endings, perhaps?

Vince

Jun 8, 2021, 3:33:51 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
There is a lot of cruft still in the files (all the <br/>, <a> links, etc. at the bottom of chapter 2, e.g.), and there is text outside of any tags, e.g. the title in chapter 2 (Lecture II. — What Pragmatism Means). se clean will not do the right thing until all that is corrected, in each file.

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 3:55:25 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
All of these errors are pointing to invalid XHTML. You've nested things
incorrectly, or at the wrong depth, or omitted closing tags. `se clean`
is a pretty printer, so if what it prints isn't pretty, then the source
is in error. You need to go through the source and ensure your tags are
all closed, and at the right level. No nested <p> tags for example.

On 6/8/21 2:28 PM, Vince wrote:
> If clean did that, there’s something else wrong with the files.
> Line-endings, perhaps?
>

>> On Jun 8, 2021, at 2:21 PM, Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:itsall...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I followed through *step 7.* After running clean, I noticed all
>> the *<p>*s
>>
>> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:14:05 PM UTC-7 Vince wrote:
>>
>> Are you following the step-by-step guide? If so, step 7 will take
>> care of it. It not, you should be. :)
>>

>> > On Jun 8, 2021, at 2:04 PM, Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > My source text has a lot of <p> elements strung along together
>> on the same line. Because of this, each chapter file only has
>> roughly 10 lines of code accounting for 6,500 words.
>> >
>> > Is there an SE tool for quickly fixing this? Or do I have to do
>> it manually? I've done chapter 1 manually. Feel free to have a
>> look at the other chapters for an example.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E7067CE6-669B-4AF0-B430-E20FBEB19716%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E7067CE6-669B-4AF0-B430-E20FBEB19716%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 3:58:17 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, I see all the <br/>, but I don't know which ones are supposed to be there. I searched the manual, but couldn't find an answer.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 4:08:27 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
I didn't nest these elements. All I'm doing is trying to follow along the guide, step-by-step. I keep running into errors as I go. When I see an error, I fix that error. I haven't added anything to the document. I've only been removing stuff.

There are a ton of <br/> elements. I don't know which ones are supposed to be there.

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 4:11:29 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can remove all of them. They are there to separate the chapters, but
since in SE each chapter is its own file, they are not necessary.

Likewise you will remove all <a name>s because they are PG specific page
anchors and they are irrelevant to this ebook. Open up any SE ebook with
chapters and look at what they look like--that markup is the goal.

On 6/8/21 3:08 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> I didn't nest these elements. All I'm doing is trying to follow along
> the guide, step-by-step. I keep running into errors as I go. When I see
> an error, I fix that error. I haven't added anything to the document.
> I've only been removing stuff.
>
> There are a ton of <br/> elements. I don't know which ones are supposed
> to be there.
>
> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:58:17 PM UTC-7 Alan Welsh wrote:
>
> Yes, I see all the *<br/>*, but I don't know which ones are supposed
> to be there. I searched the manual, but couldn't find an answer.
>
> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:33:51 PM UTC-7 Vince wrote:
>
> There is a lot of cruft still in the files (all the <br/>, <a>
> links, etc. at the bottom of chapter 2, e.g.), and there is text
> outside of any tags, e.g. the title in chapter 2 (Lecture II. —
> What Pragmatism Means). se clean will not do the right thing
> until all that is corrected, in each file.
>

>> On Jun 8, 2021, at 2:28 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> If clean did that, there’s something else wrong with the
>> files. Line-endings, perhaps?
>>

>>> On Jun 8, 2021, at 2:21 PM, Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, I followed through *step 7.* After running clean, I
>>> noticed all the *<p>*s
>>>
>>> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 12:14:05 PM UTC-7 Vince wrote:
>>>
>>> Are you following the step-by-step guide? If so, step 7
>>> will take care of it. It not, you should be. :)

>>> together on the same line. Because of this, each chapter
>>> file only has roughly 10 lines of code accounting for
>>> 6,500 words.

>>> have to do it manually? I've done chapter 1 manually.
>>> Feel free to have a look at the other chapters for an
>>> example.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B Keith

Jun 8, 2021, 6:10:41 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Also note that your chapter one still includes the title page, dedication, preface and contents. The dedication and preface should be split out into two new files and the Title page and contents should be deleted as the proper files were generated with the se package.

The file should start at <h2>Lecture I. — The Present Dilemma in Philosophy</h2>
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 6:35:50 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
I'm trying to convert words in capitals to their correct italicized form. The source document used capitals instead of <em>.

I was doing it via find and replace in Atom. But that method is very slow since I have to check each entry.

I tried using SE tools for this, but it's not working.

For example, I tried: se interactive-sr (?<!en-)(?<!z3998:roman">)(?<![A-Z])[A-Z]{2,}(?!")

And I receive the error: -bash: !en: event not found

Any way to do this more efficiently?

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 6:39:37 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Escape exclamation points with \! on your shell

On 6/8/21 5:35 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> I'm trying to convert words in capitals to their correct italicized
> form. The source document used capitals instead of *<em>*.
>
> I was doing it via /find and replace/ in Atom. But that method is very

>>> --
>>> send an email
>>> tostandardebook...@googlegroups.com<mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5d43ae81-da54-4bc0-8ad3-b7a3a3bf8c39n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5d43ae81-da54-4bc0-8ad3-b7a3a3bf8c39n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 6:43:02 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
I tried: se interactive-sr (?<\!en-)(?<\!z3998:roman">)(?<\![A-Z])[A-Z]{2,}(?\!")

It fails with: -bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

I'm using Bash

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 6:46:06 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Well, you didn't put the regex in quotes

It may be helpful to brush up on command line basics before continuing.
You will be doing a lot of command line work and an understanding of
basic command line constructs will be very helpful as you continue

Your invocation will fail anyway because you did not specify a
replacement string to interactive-sr (since replace with
interactive-replace)

See interactive-replace --help
> <http://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com>
> <http://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5d43ae81-da54-4bc0-8ad3-b7a3a3bf8c39n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5d43ae81-da54-4bc0-8ad3-b7a3a3bf8c39n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c832ae05-ded9-4a46-a096-442ad1ae1934n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c832ae05-ded9-4a46-a096-442ad1ae1934n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 6:49:03 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
There is no interactive-replace command or help

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/181c1b4e-475f-ae92-d366-db671cc549d1%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 6:51:19 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
pipx upgrade standardebooks
> [...]
> >
> >      >>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org>>>.
> >
> >      >
> >      > --
> >      > You received this message because you are subscribed to
> the Google
> >      > Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> >      > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 6:57:46 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Okay, that would have saved me a bunch of time. Don't know why I didn't have it in the first place.

I can pick up the proper shell syntax along the way. What I need help with is regex.

How can I scan and convert the capitalized words into italics, while checking the results one by one?

Now I use the regex ([A-Z]){2,} inside of Atom. But like I said, it takes a huge amount of time.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e9ea468f-b0ab-b75e-848e-eb45ccf3a2cf%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 6:59:29 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
There is no shortcut. Creating an ebook is a time consuming process.
That's why we ask people start with a short, simple one.

On 6/8/21 5:57 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >      >
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c832ae05-ded9-4a46-a096-442ad1ae1934n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c832ae05-ded9-4a46-a096-442ad1ae1934n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c832ae05-ded9-4a46-a096-442ad1ae1934n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c832ae05-ded9-4a46-a096-442ad1ae1934n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> >     --

> >     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 7:25:13 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I found the Atom package atom-wrap-in-tag. It helps a lot for this.

Asher Smith

Jun 8, 2021, 8:19:33 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Fwiw, I quite like sublime text for allowing you to map a snippet to a keyboard shortcut so you can convert something to lower case and wrap it in the tag in a single command.

On Wed, Jun 9, 2021, 12:25 AM Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found the Atom package atom-wrap-in-tag. It helps a lot for this.

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 8:48:11 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 10:40:11 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
" Also note that your chapter one still includes the title page, dedication, preface and contents. The dedication and preface should be split out into two new files and the Title page and contents should be deleted as the proper files were generated with the se package."

So in addition to deleting the TOC, I should also delete the contents section?

Emma Sweeney

Jun 8, 2021, 10:52:18 PM6/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
Those kinda look like bridgeheads. Check you page scans to see if this is correct.

Emma

Alan Welsh

Jun 8, 2021, 11:04:55 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Here's a screenshot of the beginning:

image.png

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/09e50b0d-b693-416a-b04b-846a1730a3b6n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2021, 11:05:25 PM6/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can cut all of that

On 6/8/21 10:04 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> Here's a screenshot of the beginning:
>
> image.png
>
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 7:52 PM Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com
> <mailto:sween...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Those kinda look like bridgeheads. Check you page scans to see if
> this is correct.
>
> Emma
> On Tuesday, June 8, 2021 at 10:40:11 PM UTC-4 itsall...@gmail.com
> <mailto:itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> " Also note that your chapter one still includes the title page,
> dedication, preface and contents. The dedication and preface
> should be split out into two new files and the Title page and
> contents should be deleted as the proper files were generated
> with the se package."
>
> So in addition to deleting the *TOC*, I should also delete the
> *contents *section?

>>> --
>>> from it, send an email
>>> tostandardebook...@googlegroups.com<mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com><https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d925c52a-a6de-4180-8a4c-075b293118e4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ae330797-2ed5-83da-8f64-296ad0fbfe61%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/09e50b0d-b693-416a-b04b-846a1730a3b6n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/09e50b0d-b693-416a-b04b-846a1730a3b6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAC7YwL4_uTFYXLf2bc2V7XhX%3DO_wOxo%3DvVM5Zpfn1T5-_Zm4FA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAC7YwL4_uTFYXLf2bc2V7XhX%3DO_wOxo%3DvVM5Zpfn1T5-_Zm4FA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alan Welsh

Jun 9, 2021, 12:42:03 AM6/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I was told to convert single quotes to double quotes. I can't find any more information about this in the manual. What should I do with the following quoted words:

image.png

On Tue, Jun 1, 2021 at 2:14 PM Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
Sure, that one would be a good start.

Cut the ToC and "the end". Words that are meant to be in italics are in
ALL CAPS in the transcription so you'll have to carefully fix all of
those. Eyeball each page in the page scans to find italicized `I` which
for obvious reasons would have been omitted from this transcription.

Some quotes are single quoted, some are double for some reason. Convert
single quotes to double quotes but make sure to set book names in
italics and not quotes. See the manual for detailed rules on when
italics are expected.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

Please email often if you have any questions at all.  Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)

On 6/1/21 4:08 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> Available here <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5116>.
>
> Can I do it?

Vince

Jun 9, 2021, 1:12:51 AM6/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
See Step 10 of the step-by-step guide.

> On Jun 8, 2021, at 11:41 PM, Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I was told to convert single quotes to double quotes. I can't find any more information about this in the manual. What should I do with the following quoted words:
>
> <image.png>

Alan Welsh

Jun 9, 2021, 2:02:01 AM6/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That guide specifically addresses dialog. But the quoted material in my document isn't dialog.

David Grigg

Jun 9, 2021, 3:20:16 AM6/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
You would still double quote them. Single quoting is only for quoting WITHIN other dialog which has been double-quoted, e.g. “I heard her cry out ‘help!’”

Alan Welsh

Jun 11, 2021, 9:34:02 PM6/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
What do I do with the italicized th?

Clipboard01.jpg

Matt Chan

Jun 11, 2021, 9:38:15 PM6/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
What's the context of the th? Is it an abbreviation? Foreign language word?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7e05f41e-f3b5-4c4a-97b3-cc20a5587256n%40googlegroups.com.

Matt Chan

Jun 11, 2021, 9:50:07 PM6/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If it is for emphasis, then it should be <em></em>?

Vince

Jun 11, 2021, 9:55:28 PM6/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
That’s not enough context, but given what’s above it referring to wealth, health, and strength, it would appear he’s referring to all the words that end on “th” (possibly including truth). I would say it should be quoted, e.g.
But really all these words in “th” are exactly similar.

But I would also say it should be
all these words ending in “th” …
(Only italicized for emphasis here, it wouldn’t be italicized in the book.)

But that one’s a lot more iffy, and in general we don’t touch the source text unless we’re really sure.

On Jun 11, 2021, at 8:34 PM, Alan Welsh <itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:

What do I do with the italicized th?

Robin Whittleton

Jun 12, 2021, 2:21:34 AM6/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
In which case it could be <i epub:type=“z3998:phoneme”>?

David Grigg

Jun 12, 2021, 2:33:58 AM6/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That’s how I would treat this. Lots of these in Lavengro!

Vince Rice

Jun 12, 2021, 11:04:05 AM6/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Well that’s a question for Alex, but I wouldn’t think so. The manual specifically says that’s for individual letters, and those aren’t individual.

Alex Cabal

Jun 12, 2021, 11:31:05 AM6/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Individual letters are graphemes (mentioned in the manual) but phonemes
may be more than one letter as they represent a sound and not a letter.
So phoneme would be appropriate here.

On 6/12/21 10:04 AM, Vince Rice wrote:
> Well that’s a question for Alex, but I wouldn’t think so. The manual
> specifically says that’s for individual letters, and those aren’t
> individual.
>
>> On Jun 12, 2021, at 1:21 AM, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net> wrote:
>>

>> In which case it could be <i epub:type=“z3998:phoneme”>?
>>
>>> On 12 Jun 2021, at 03:55, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:
>>>

>>> That’s not enough context, but given what’s above it referring to
>>> wealth, health, and strength, it would appear he’s referring to all
>>> the words that end on “th” (possibly including truth). I would say it
>>> should be quoted, e.g.
>>>
>>> But really all these words in “th” are exactly similar.
>>>

>>> But I would also say it should be
>>>
>>> all these words /ending/ in “th” …
>>>
>>> (Only italicized for emphasis here, it wouldn’t be italicized in the
>>> book.)
>>>
>>> But that one’s a lot more iffy, and in general we don’t touch the
>>> source text unless we’re really sure.

>>> --
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8B67C282-9DA4-4110-B095-0A3631A2585A%40reala.net
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8B67C282-9DA4-4110-B095-0A3631A2585A%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/BA6D5035-5BF0-4145-A076-994263BAA4AA%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/BA6D5035-5BF0-4145-A076-994263BAA4AA%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince Rice

Jun 12, 2021, 11:48:37 AM6/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Good to know, thanks. Since the manual doesn't mention them, should they be quoted or italicized?

> On Jun 12, 2021, at 10:31 AM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Individual letters are graphemes (mentioned in the manual) but phonemes may be more than one letter as they represent a sound and not a letter. So phoneme would be appropriate here.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/eb150a9c-ed6a-d024-6cba-793d8f23c49a%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jun 12, 2021, 12:17:49 PM6/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com, Vince Rice
Italics are fine, I'll add that to the manual

Alan Welsh

Jun 13, 2021, 7:26:16 PM6/13/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
So do I tag it with <i epub:type=“z3998:phoneme”> and italicize it?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CD3B381A-1B75-422C-A8D6-68113E510BB7%40standardebooks.org.

David Grigg

Jun 13, 2021, 8:00:26 PM6/13/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Vince

Jun 13, 2021, 8:29:55 PM6/13/21
to Standard Ebooks
Tagging it with that does italicize it.

Alan Welsh

Jun 16, 2021, 11:25:59 PM6/16/21
to Standard Ebooks
My sourcebook has footnotes, but the transcribed PG does not. What should I do?

Alan Welsh

Jun 16, 2021, 11:34:19 PM6/16/21
to Standard Ebooks
The sourcebook also has a single illustration, which the PG version does not.

David Grigg

Jun 16, 2021, 11:47:40 PM6/16/21
to Standard Ebooks
We don’t normally include illustrations, unless they are vital to understanding the text (a diagram of a murder scene in a mystery novel, for example).

Alan Welsh

Jun 17, 2021, 11:07:24 AM6/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I made a mistake about the footnotes. I see them now. Please disregard. 😣

Another question: I need to italicize referenced book titles. Do I only need to use the <i> tag? The manual gives as an example epub:type="se:name.publication.book, but what if the referenced work isn't a book? I don't see any other options in the manual.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9a4b4d21-e818-4bc5-9e4c-d4afcdb7a085%40Spark.

Asher Smith

Jun 17, 2021, 11:10:52 AM6/17/21
to Standard Ebooks
Look at the vocabularies linked in the manual (https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.1/single-page#4.2.3). In particular, the SE vocabulary (https://standardebooks.org/vocab/1.0) applies here - look at, for example, se:name.publication.journal or se:name.music.opera as options.

Alan Welsh

Jun 17, 2021, 11:26:45 AM6/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Okay!

And reverting back to the issue of the illustration. It is indeed referred to in the text and thus seems necessary to understanding what the author meant in that paragraph. What do you think? A screenshot is attached.

image.png

Alex Cabal

Jun 17, 2021, 12:04:49 PM6/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, you will have to create an SVG for that. Normally we would trace it
from the scans but this is a basic geometric figure so you can just
create it in SVG using shapes.

On 6/17/21 10:26 AM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> Okay!
>
> And reverting back to the issue of the illustration. It is indeed
> referred to in the text and thus seems necessary to understanding what
> the author meant in that paragraph. What do you think? A screenshot is
> attached.
>
> image.png
>
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 8:10 AM Asher Smith
> <forlackofa...@gmail.com
> <mailto:forlackofa...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Look at the vocabularies linked in the manual
> (https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.1/single-page#4.2.3
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.1/single-page#4.2.3>). In
> particular, the SE vocabulary (https://standardebooks.org/vocab/1.0
> <https://standardebooks.org/vocab/1.0>) applies here - look at, for
> example, se:name.publication.journal or se:name.music.opera as options.
>
> On Thursday, June 17, 2021 at 4:07:24 PM UTC+1 itsall...@gmail.com
> <mailto:itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I made a mistake about the footnotes. I see them now. Please
> disregard. 😣
>
> Another question: I need to italicize referenced book titles. Do
> I only need to use the <i> tag? The manual gives as an example
> *epub:type="se:name.publication.book, *but what if the
> referenced work isn't a book? I don't see any other options in
> the manual.
>
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 8:47 PM David Grigg <david...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> We don’t normally include illustrations, unless they are
> vital to understanding the text (a diagram of a murder scene
> in a mystery novel, for example).
> On 17 Jun 2021, 1:34 PM +1000, Alan Welsh
> <itsall...@gmail.com>, wrote:
>> The sourcebook also has a single illustration, which the
>> PG version does not.
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 16, 2021 at 8:25:59 PM UTC-7 Alan Welsh
>> wrote:
>>
>> My sourcebook has footnotes, but the transcribed PG
>> does not. What should I do?
>>
>> On Sunday, June 13, 2021 at 5:29:55 PM UTC-7 Vince wrote:
>>
>> Tagging it with that /does/ italicize it.
>>

>>> On Jun 13, 2021, at 6:26 PM, Alan Welsh
>>> <itsall...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So do I tag it with *<i
>>> epub:type=“z3998:phoneme”>* /and/ *italicize* it?

> [...]

Alan Welsh

Jun 17, 2021, 3:08:01 PM6/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so I'm learning HTML concomitantly as I work on this ebook. I haven't gotten to SVG yet. Should I go through the lessons/tutorials on MDN or W3? Is there a simpler way? And do I need to apply the XHTML formatting from the manual?

Alan Welsh

Jun 17, 2021, 3:14:07 PM6/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
What if I just take a screenshot, save it as an image, and convert that image into an SVG with this online tool?

Alan Welsh

Jun 17, 2021, 3:19:00 PM6/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I was able to easily produce this from the online tool.

Is it alright?

LFaEAZ01 (1).svg

Alex Cabal

Jun 17, 2021, 3:35:05 PM6/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that's fine.

On 6/17/21 2:18 PM, Alan Welsh wrote:
> [...]
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9a4b4d21-e818-4bc5-9e4c-d4afcdb7a085%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9a4b4d21-e818-4bc5-9e4c-d4afcdb7a085%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> >     --

> >     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
> email to
> > standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/60afebff-a646-4f99-8ad1-70d99c49e0fan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/60afebff-a646-4f99-8ad1-70d99c49e0fan%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

Asher Smith

Jun 18, 2021, 4:45:30 AM6/18/21
to Standard Ebooks
You should also follow step 4 onwards in this guide: https://standardebooks.org/contribute/how-tos/illustrations-music

Alan Welsh

Jun 18, 2021, 10:22:15 PM6/18/21
to Standard Ebooks
Okay. I see that I have to add a title. How about the "minimal basic information" in the header?

My SVG contains this:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<svg version="1.0" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 300 318">

The sample SVG has this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.2" viewBox="0 0 2100 320">

Not exactly the same. Should I change mine? If so, what should I change? And what do I change it to?

David Grigg

Jun 19, 2021, 12:22:04 AM6/19/21
to Standard Ebooks
The SVG title has to be the same as the alt text in the image tag within the body of the text, and it has to be written so that visually impaired readers using text-to-speech hear a DESCRIPTION of what the image has in it. In this case it might be like “The musical score of the song ‘Old Man River’.” (or whatever the music score is for).
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f0716141-1e2f-4392-b189-1a7b6ea2dddan%40googlegroups.com.

Alan Welsh

Jun 19, 2021, 1:07:35 AM6/19/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I know. My question wasn't about the title. It was about the other parts I wrote in the message.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/53474f25-03d2-4c5b-9d79-92fbf51db193%40Spark.

Emma Sweeney

Jun 19, 2021, 1:27:03 AM6/19/21
to Standard Ebooks
Images require changes to the headers. Change it so that the headers contain the same attributes as the sample. It's OK for the viewBox to have different values.

Emma

Alan Welsh

Jun 20, 2021, 12:19:39 AM6/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
Is there any way to incorporate the se titlecase program into VSCode?

Weijia Cheng

Jun 20, 2021, 10:24:18 AM6/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
I am not familiar enough with VCode to suggest any automated solutions, but if you only need to do this occasionally can't you keep an integrated terminal open in VSCode and occasionally run se titlecase through there instead of opening a new window?

Matt Chan

Jun 20, 2021, 11:08:08 AM6/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alan Welsh

Jun 20, 2021, 11:47:48 AM6/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Native VSCode doesn't titlecase the same way. It capitalizes every word and doesn't skip words short insignificant words like se titlecase or Calibre titlecase.

Alan Welsh

Jun 20, 2021, 12:02:00 PM6/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
My source work has some quoted material of which there is lacking a couple closing quotes. Please see the attached picture. I assume I need to correct this. Should I close enclose each paragraph in quotes or should I enclose all three paragraphs in one set of quotes?

unclosed quotation marks.jpg

Asher Smith

Jun 20, 2021, 12:26:35 PM6/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
It's standard to leave off a closing quotation mark at the end of a paragraph when the next paragraph continues the same speech; this indicates that the new paragraph is not the same thing as a new person speaking. The scans are correct, and should be preserved.

Alan Welsh

Jun 21, 2021, 1:51:16 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
The phrase "The Universe" is quoted twice. The wider context is not already in quotes, only some individual terms are. What should I do about this?

the universe.jpg

Asher Smith

Jun 21, 2021, 6:14:05 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
I can't give you a final answer here, especially because it's context dependant. For example, in a previous project,  there were characters talking about Beauty as a personified concept and also at different times as a mundane thing; in the former, it was capitalised and in the latter it wasn't.

That having been said, my instinct here would be to make the second occurance lowercase in an [Editorial] commit because it seems like it's being used in exactly the same way as the first occurance.

Alan Welsh

Jun 21, 2021, 8:07:12 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
Okay, but I was actually referring to the quotes themselves. The term the universe is wrapped in both a set of single quotes and a set of double quotes.

David Grigg

Jun 21, 2021, 8:11:19 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
Because the writer is quoting someone who in turn is quoting someone else. It’s genuinely a nested quote within quote.
On 22 Jun 2021, 10:07 AM +1000, standar...@googlegroups.com, wrote:

as

Alan Welsh

Jun 21, 2021, 8:17:51 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
Okay, thanks. Another question: the step-by-step guide says "Two-em dashes should be used for elision."

What form of elision is this about? It's not about elision within a word, right? And I don't see any mention of em dashes regarding ellipses (in the manual) either. I don't understand what this is talking about.

Weijia Cheng

Jun 21, 2021, 8:23:53 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
The manual explains the use of two-em dashes here: https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.1/8-typography#8.7.7.8.4

Alan Welsh

Jun 21, 2021, 8:50:36 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
Okay. Why not just mention the use of "partially obscured word"s instead of "elision"? It would be clearer.

I have another question.

I have this endnote: "Morrison I. Swift, Human Submission, Part Second, Philadelphia, Liberty Press, 1905, pp. 4⁠–⁠10."

Do I have to wrap the whole thing in <cite> tags? If so, which semantic inflection do I use?

I understand I need to mark the middle initial with a <abbr> tag. But I don't know what to do with the rest.

Alan Welsh

Jun 21, 2021, 10:39:12 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
I think I understand how to use <cite>. It's used for the title of a creative work and it doesn't include the author or other publishing information, right?

Emma Sweeney

Jun 21, 2021, 10:56:42 PM6/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
"Endnotes with ending citations have those citations are wrapped in a <cite> element, including any em-dashes. A space follows the <cite> element, before the backlink." Section 7.10.5.3 in the manual.

Emma
It is loading more messages.
This conversation is locked