[Next Project] How the Other Half Lives by Jacob Riis

Jason Livermore

Jun 9, 2024, 4:53:13 PMJun 9
to Standard Ebooks
Thought I'd try something from the advanced list, and started investigating this while I wait for Yankee in the Trenches to be reviewed.

I see four categories of illustration:
1. Photos. The work is considered photojournalism so it seems appropriate to keep these?
2. Floor plans of tenements before and after reforms. Could be converted to SVG?
3. Drawings of scenes from tenement life, from simple line drawings to more elaborate sketches, at least some based on photos. Interesting enough to keep?
4. Small decorative illustrations could be cut?

There are some tables with statistics. Overall not too lengthy of a work.

Alex Cabal

Jun 10, 2024, 1:28:59 PMJun 10
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes to all of these except 4, you can keep all the illustrations as this
is nonfiction.

David can you manage this with Vince reviewing?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/46989e40-b706-4398-97b1-064357a6a788n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/46989e40-b706-4398-97b1-064357a6a788n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason Livermore

Jun 10, 2024, 6:38:32 PMJun 10
to Standard Ebooks

David

Jun 11, 2024, 4:05:10 AMJun 11
to Standard Ebooks
Will manage.

D. / Fife, UK

Jason Livermore

Jun 24, 2024, 1:34:23 PM (2 days ago) Jun 24
to Standard Ebooks
The appendix contains loads of statistics in tables. The first few pages are all collected into a rather large and unwieldy table.  I'm thinking of breaking these up into smaller tables. With the right title, I can also greatly reduce the amount of repeated text and ditto marks.  And I can then add meaningful column headers. This is in the spirit of the Web Accessibility Initiative which SEMOS links to, and allows for better "structural markup". A little editorial license would make it all more understandable for an e-reader.

Example: gather population numbers in a table, "Population of various cities", then in the rows give location, year, source, number.  Rather than repeating "Population of" or ditto marks on every line.

Example: gather all the "Density of population to the square mile..." rows into a table with that title, and then in the rows just provide year, location, number.

Where there are still a lot of dittoes, is it better to just repeat the information (copy/paste is cheap)? Just thinking how I'd comprehend it if I was listening to it being read by software.

David

Jun 24, 2024, 2:45:11 PM (2 days ago) Jun 24
to Standard Ebooks
That's a lot of stats. :-o

The kind of careful editorial simplification you suggest seems called for. I see some modern reissues do something like this, to varying degrees. (Also this online edition.)

Where dittoes are unavoidable, providing text would seem to help accessibility, and even just simple sighted reading comprehension.

Keeping fairly granular commits seems wise, too.

D.

Vince

Jun 24, 2024, 2:49:51 PM (2 days ago) Jun 24
to Standard Ebooks
SEMoS addresses using ditto marks in tables and we have numerous tables in the corpus that use them, so if we’re going to change that, I would guess that should be a corpus-wide decision rather than an individual production one.

David

Jun 24, 2024, 3:05:03 PM (2 days ago) Jun 24
to Standard Ebooks
Right, I wasn't thinking on the corpus level, clearly (doh!). I also note the SEMoS rules.

Still, looking at these particular tables, it looks like there are plenty of dittoes which are really very much surplus to requirement. Perhaps some careful editorial simplification is still appropriate, but ... if dittoes are needed, dittoes we use?

D.

On Monday 24 June 2024 at 19:49:51 UTC+1 Vince wrote:
SEMoS addresses using ditto marks in tables and we have numerous tables in the corpus that use them, so if we’re going to change that, I would guess that should be a corpus-wide decision rather than an individual production one.

Alex Cabal

Jun 24, 2024, 3:08:31 PM (2 days ago) Jun 24
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm fine with rearranging the tables if there's an obviously clearer way
to present the same information. Otherwise we should just leave them,
including dittos.

On 6/24/24 2:05 PM, David wrote:
> Right, I wasn't thinking on the corpus level
> <https://github.com/search?q=org%3Astandardebooks%20%2Ftd%3E%E2%80%9D%2F&type=code>, clearly (doh!). I also note the SEMoS rules <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.8.0/single-page#8.7.5.4>.
>
> Still, looking at these particular tables, it looks like there are
> plenty of dittoes which are really very much surplus to requirement.
> Perhaps some careful editorial simplification is still appropriate, but
> ... if dittoes are needed, dittoes we use?
>
> D.
>
> On Monday 24 June 2024 at 19:49:51 UTC+1 Vince wrote:
>
> SEMoS addresses using ditto marks in tables and we have numerous
> tables in the corpus that use them, so if we’re going to change
> that, I would guess that should be a corpus-wide decision rather
> than an individual production one.
>> On Jun 24, 2024, at 1:45 PM, David wrote:
>>
>> That's a lot of stats. :-o
>>
>> The kind of careful editorial simplification you suggest seems
>> called for. I see some modern reissues do something like this, to
>> varying degrees. (Also thisonline edition
>> <https://www.historyonthenet.com/authentichistory/1898-1913/2-progressivism/2-riis/appendix.html>.)
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bdc3e753-5d36-4956-b469-1d7cc37ea457n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bdc3e753-5d36-4956-b469-1d7cc37ea457n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Jun 24, 2024, 3:10:42 PM (2 days ago) Jun 24
to Standard Ebooks
Oh, sure, Jason and you are exactly right, the suggested changes should eliminate a lot of the dittos just by the nature of the changes, but I’m guessing a blanket “repeat text rather than use dittos” is a corpus-level decision.

Jason Livermore

Jun 24, 2024, 3:17:15 PM (2 days ago) Jun 24
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the feedback everyone.  I'll do some light editing to group things logically. And leave remaining dittoes if that is the normal thing.