The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes

Marshall Clow

Jan 3, 2023, 10:15:51 PM1/3/23
to Standard Ebooks
Github repo:  https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes

Known issues:
* I don’t have any cover art yet.
* There’s a bunch of fields in the colophon that need to be filled in.
* There’s something wonky in the quotation marks; but I think they’re wonky in the original source.

I’m working on all of those, but this is my first production, so I’m counting on all of you to tell me all the things I’ve done wrong so far ;-)

— Marshall

David at Standard Ebooks

Jan 3, 2023, 10:48:49 PM1/3/23
to Standard Ebooks
What exactly do you mean by "wonky" ? On a quick glance through your text files I can't see anything strange about the quotation marks.

David at Standard Ebooks

Jan 3, 2023, 10:54:13 PM1/3/23
to Standard Ebooks
Marshall:

You'll need to include a halftitle page because there's a Preface to the book. You'll need to change the "bodymatter" in the epub:type of the preface to be "frontmatter" and the epub:type in the section to be "preface".

 The halftitle file will follow the Preface. Again, see the manual for info on all this.

Marshall Clow

Jan 3, 2023, 11:19:34 PM1/3/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Jan 3, 2023, at 7:48 PM, David at Standard Ebooks <standar...@thegriggs.org> wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "wonky" ? On a quick glance through your text files I can't see anything strange about the quotation marks.

se lint complains about various sets of quotation marks

I see stuff like this, too: (illustrious client, line 79)

And: (creeping man, line 112)

(I think that the 5th quotation mark is wrong there)

On 4 Jan 2023 at 2:15 PM +1100, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com>, wrote:
Github repo:  https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes

Known issues:
* I don’t have any cover art yet.
* There’s a bunch of fields in the colophon that need to be filled in.
* There’s something wonky in the quotation marks; but I think they’re wonky in the original source.

I’m working on all of those, but this is my first production, so I’m counting on all of you to tell me all the things I’ve done wrong so far ;-)

— Marshall

David at Standard Ebooks

Jan 3, 2023, 11:33:15 PM1/3/23
to Standard Ebooks
Oh, I see. Yes, it's a bit of a mess in the page scans because they haven't used any double quotation marks even when nesting speech, but the transcript seems accurate, though it uses straight quotes. Typogrify usually does a pretty good job of converting straight quotes to curly quotes, so I'm not sure what's gone wrong here, but there are lots of instances in your files where it has used right single quotes instead of left single quotes. I think the only solution is to go carefully through all the instances lint throws up and correct them. I would use the Gutenberg transcript as a guide for this, not the scans. Do note that it is correct not to have a closing quotation mark at the end of a paragraph if the next paragraph continues the same speech.

Alex Cabal

Jan 3, 2023, 11:46:44 PM1/3/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
David would you like to manage this one?

On 1/3/23 9:53 PM, David at Standard Ebooks wrote:
> Marshall:
>
> You'll need to include a halftitle page because there's a Preface to the
> book. You'll need to change the "bodymatter" in the epub:type of the
> preface to be "frontmatter" and the epub:type in the section to be
> "preface".
>
>  The halftitle file will follow the Preface. Again, see the manual for
> info on all this.
> On 4 Jan 2023 at 2:15 PM +1100, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com>,
> wrote:
>> Github repo:
>> https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes <https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes>
>> Transcripts: https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100291h.html
>> <https://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100291h.html>
>> Page Scans: https://archive.org/details/casebookofsherlo0000doyl_d7f2
>> <https://archive.org/details/casebookofsherlo0000doyl_d7f2>
>>
>> Known issues:
>> * I don’t have any cover art yet.
>> * There’s a bunch of fields in the colophon that need to be filled in.
>> * There’s something wonky in the quotation marks; but I think they’re
>> wonky in the original source.
>>
>> I’m working on all of those, but this is my first production, so I’m
>> counting on all of you to tell me all the things I’ve done wrong so
>> far ;-)
>>
>> — Marshall
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/477A7507-7D6D-4583-BA11-459A78FE17D3%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/477A7507-7D6D-4583-BA11-459A78FE17D3%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/01bad5b2-6443-4fd4-ae41-10e6f2755c35%40Spark <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/01bad5b2-6443-4fd4-ae41-10e6f2755c35%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David at Standard Ebooks

Jan 3, 2023, 11:51:30 PM1/3/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Seems like I'm accidentally doing so, so yes!
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/44b41e58-56d6-ceba-b65e-330885eae097%40standardebooks.org.

Marshall Clow

Jan 4, 2023, 11:35:56 AM1/4/23
On Jan 3, 2023, at 7:53 PM, David at Standard Ebooks <standar...@thegriggs.org> wrote:

Marshall:

You'll need to include a halftitle page because there's a Preface to the book. You'll need to change the "bodymatter" in the epub:type of the preface to be "frontmatter" and the epub:type in the section to be "preface".

 The halftitle file will follow the Preface. Again, see the manual for info on all this.

Is there an existing book that contains a halftitle that I can look at?

— Marshall

David at Standard Ebooks

Jan 4, 2023, 5:27:14 PM1/4/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Dickens’ Bleak House has both a Preface and a halftitle:

https://github.com/standardebooks/charles-dickens_bleak-house

Marshall Clow

Jan 4, 2023, 6:02:50 PM1/4/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Jan 4, 2023, at 2:26 PM, David at Standard Ebooks <standar...@thegriggs.org> wrote:

Dickens’ Bleak House has both a Preface and a halftitle:

https://github.com/standardebooks/charles-dickens_bleak-house

Halftitlepage added; also many se lint errors squashed.
Not all of them, though.

— Marshall

David at Standard Ebooks

Jan 4, 2023, 6:32:59 PM1/4/23
to Standard Ebooks
If you haven’t done it already, you’ll need to add the halftitle to the manifest and spine and then re-run build-toc, which should indent the bodytext items under the halftitle for you.

Marshall Clow

David

Jan 4, 2023, 9:17:43 PM1/4/23
to Standard Ebooks
Is there an existing book that contains a halftitle that I can look at?

Hi Marshall - one of the things I've found really useful as I learn the ropes on producing Standard Ebooks is searching on the Github "corpus". Of course, that account also contains the Tools and Website, etc., but still very helpful. If you enclose the search term in quotes, "...", you get the phrase; if you enclose it in forward-slashes, /.../, it's a regex search (and this is my starting point). So you could search (from the search-box in the upper left on Github) for

and find all the books in the corpus (and more!) with "halftitles". I use this a lot for things like spelling conventions, punctuation patterns, and so on.

Hope it's useful for you, too. (And apologies if this is old news for you!)

David / (just now, not in) Fife, UK

Marshall Clow

Jan 19, 2023, 11:17:54 PM1/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
What do people think of using “Vanitas Still Life” as a cover for the Casebook?

It looks like a bunch of things that Sherlock Holmes would have laying around.

— Marshall

Alex Cabal

Jan 19, 2023, 11:32:12 PM1/19/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That might work, do you have PD proof?
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#10.3.3.7
> <https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00>
>
> — Marshall
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59DA36C6-9A62-47A9-8185-F0EA631E7B2C%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/59DA36C6-9A62-47A9-8185-F0EA631E7B2C%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Marshall Clow

Jan 19, 2023, 11:35:23 PM1/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:32 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

On 1/19/23 10:17 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
What do people think of using “Vanitas Still Life” as a cover for the Casebook?
It looks like a bunch of things that Sherlock Holmes would have laying around.
https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00 <https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00>
— Marshall

This is what it says on the web page that I got the image from:

License: All public domain files can be freely used for personal and commercial projects.
Why is this image in the public domain?
The Artist died in 1694 so this work is in the public domain in its country of origin and other countries where the copyright term is the Artist's life plus 70 years or fewer.

I have not looked for a copy in a book yet.

— Marshall

Alex Cabal

Jan 19, 2023, 11:36:10 PM1/19/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Please read the manual carefully, especially our clearance FAQ:
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#10.3.3.7.5

On 1/19/23 10:35 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:32 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> On 1/19/23 10:17 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
>>> What do people think of using “Vanitas Still Life” as a cover for the
>>> Casebook?
>>> It looks like a bunch of things that Sherlock Holmes would have
>>> laying around.
>>> https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00
>>> <https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00>
>>> <https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00
>>> <https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00>>
>>> — Marshall
>>>
>> That might work, do you have PD proof?
>> https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#10.3.3.7
>> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.7.0/single-page#10.3.3.7>
>
> This is what it says on the web page that I got the image from:
> (https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00
> <https://artvee.com/dl/vanitas-still-life-13/#00>)
>
> License: All public domain files can be freely used for personal and
> commercial projects.
> Why is this image in the public domain?
> The Artist died in 1694 so this work is in the public domain
> in its country of origin and other countries where the copyright term is
> the Artist's life plus 70 years or fewer.
>
> I have not looked for a copy in a book yet.
>
> — Marshall
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D5B94F41-4188-43E5-949F-DE581E3B5146%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D5B94F41-4188-43E5-949F-DE581E3B5146%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Jan 19, 2023, 11:36:10 PM1/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
This painting is already in use for Nightmare Abbey, by Thomas Love Peacock.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Jan 19, 2023, 11:38:08 PM1/19/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Marshall Clow

Jan 19, 2023, 11:56:21 PM1/19/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:36 PM, Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com> wrote:

This painting is already in use for Nightmare Abbey, by Thomas Love Peacock.

Thanks.

— Marshall

Marshall Clow

Feb 9, 2023, 11:18:25 PM2/9/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:56 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:36 PM, Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com> wrote:

This painting is already in use for Nightmare Abbey, by Thomas Love Peacock.

Here’s a couple more possibilities.

A very English countryside:

Cliffs on the English Channel:

One of the stories in the collection has a “crime” that happens at the bottom of a cliff.
I would be tempted to take the left half of this picture (i.e, without the people) and use it for a cover.

— Marshall

Marshall Clow

Feb 10, 2023, 12:02:49 AM2/10/23
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

Feb 10, 2023, 4:36:06 PM2/10/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The Caspar David Freidrich is already in use, so we can't use that one.

I don't feel excited about these landscape options. They seem too
picturesque and cheery for Holmes. When I think of Holmes, I think of a
grimy Victorian cityscape, or mementos mori, or murder weapons like
knives and guns. Can you find a Londonish cityscape of some kind?

Note that many of Monet's "Houses of Parliament" are already in use.
Also note that we should make an effort to be reasonably
period-appropriate. You don't have to hit it exactly, but for example a
cityscape of the Brooklyn Bridge wouldn't make sense.

On 2/9/23 10:18 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:56 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com
> <mailto:mclow...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:36 PM, Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:sween...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> This painting is already in use forNightmare Abbey, by Thomas Love
>>> Peacock
>>> <https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/thomas-love-peacock/nightmare-abbey>.
>
> Here’s a couple more possibilities.
>
> A very English countryside:
> https://www.artic.edu/artworks/15720/landscape-with-figures-crossing-a-bridge <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/15720/landscape-with-figures-crossing-a-bridge>
>
> Cliffs on the English Channel:
> https://www.artic.edu/artworks/14620/cliff-walk-at-pourville
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/14620/cliff-walk-at-pourville>
>
> One of the stories in the collection has a “crime” that happens at the
> bottom of a cliff.
> I would be tempted to take the left half of this picture (i.e, without
> the people) and use it for a cover.
>
> — Marshall
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7672D9B6-A58D-4B90-9FF9-92F7175E92B4%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7672D9B6-A58D-4B90-9FF9-92F7175E92B4%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Feb 10, 2023, 6:51:26 PM2/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
I have a painting that you could use.

cover-3.jpg

Emma

Marshall Clow

Feb 10, 2023, 7:15:55 PM2/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Feb 10, 2023, at 3:51 PM, Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a painting that you could use.

<cover-3.jpg>

I would be OK with that.

— Marshall

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c6eba61c-2029-4e2a-b86d-deae2897ec52n%40googlegroups.com.
<cover-3.jpg>

Alex Cabal

Feb 10, 2023, 7:41:20 PM2/10/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That's very good, much more like it. Thanks!

On 2/10/23 5:51 PM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> [...]
>
> Emma
> On Friday, February 10, 2023 at 4:36:06 PM UTC-5 Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> The Caspar David Freidrich is already in use, so we can't use that one.
>
> I don't feel excited about these landscape options. They seem too
> picturesque and cheery for Holmes. When I think of Holmes, I think of a
> grimy Victorian cityscape, or mementos mori, or murder weapons like
> knives and guns. Can you find a Londonish cityscape of some kind?
>
> Note that many of Monet's "Houses of Parliament" are already in use.
> Also note that we should make an effort to be reasonably
> period-appropriate. You don't have to hit it exactly, but for example a
> cityscape of the Brooklyn Bridge wouldn't make sense.
>
> On 2/9/23 10:18 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> > On Jan 19, 2023, at 8:56 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com
> > <mailto:mclow...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> <https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/thomas-love-peacock/nightmare-abbey <https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/thomas-love-peacock/nightmare-abbey>>.
> >
> > Here’s a couple more possibilities.
> >
> > A very English countryside:
> >
> https://www.artic.edu/artworks/15720/landscape-with-figures-crossing-a-bridge <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/15720/landscape-with-figures-crossing-a-bridge> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/15720/landscape-with-figures-crossing-a-bridge <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/15720/landscape-with-figures-crossing-a-bridge>>
> >
> > Cliffs on the English Channel:
> > https://www.artic.edu/artworks/14620/cliff-walk-at-pourville
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/14620/cliff-walk-at-pourville>
> > <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/14620/cliff-walk-at-pourville
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/14620/cliff-walk-at-pourville>>
> >
> > One of the stories in the collection has a “crime” that happens
> at the
> > bottom of a cliff.
> > I would be tempted to take the left half of this picture (i.e,
> without
> > the people) and use it for a cover.
> >
> > — Marshall
> >

> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7672D9B6-A58D-4B90-9FF9-92F7175E92B4%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7672D9B6-A58D-4B90-9FF9-92F7175E92B4%40gmail.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7672D9B6-A58D-4B90-9FF9-92F7175E92B4%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7672D9B6-A58D-4B90-9FF9-92F7175E92B4%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c6eba61c-2029-4e2a-b86d-deae2897ec52n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c6eba61c-2029-4e2a-b86d-deae2897ec52n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Marshall Clow

Feb 10, 2023, 7:56:16 PM2/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
So that counts as approval from the SE Editor-in-Chief?

— Marshall
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/599081a9-7f2b-cfb3-0040-117ec96b35e7%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Feb 10, 2023, 10:20:06 PM2/10/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yup!

Marshall Clow

Feb 14, 2023, 1:39:04 AM2/14/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Feb 10, 2023, at 7:19 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

> Yup!

Ok - I think I’m getting close now.
I have the artwork, I’ve filled in the colophon, etc.
I need to fix a couple more ’se lint’ errors and proofread again.

I’m not sure about this error, though:
│ m-035 │ Error │ colophon.xhtml │ Unexpected S.E. identifier in colophon. Expected: │ │ │ https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/arthur-conan-doyle/the-casebook-of-sherlock-holmes.

— Marshall
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/37385ebc-b971-eaa2-91eb-d3d041cffd23%40standardebooks.org.

Emma Sweeney

Feb 14, 2023, 1:53:20 AM2/14/23
to Standard Ebooks

Marshall Clow

Feb 14, 2023, 3:31:57 PM2/14/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Feb 13, 2023, at 10:53 PM, Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you.

— Marshall

Marshall Clow

Feb 24, 2023, 7:50:14 PM2/24/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Feb 14, 2023, at 12:31 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Feb 13, 2023, at 10:53 PM, Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com> wrote:

Getting closer now.
When proofreading, I came across a few words that I think need “modernizing”:

“gamblingden” -> “gambling den”

This one was “gambling-den” in the page proofs, split across two lines.

“fellowstudent” -> “fellow student”

This one was “fellow-student” in the page proofs, split across two lines.

“subdivided” -> "sub-divided” (not sure about this one)

“letterbasket” -> "letter basket”

This was “letter-basket” in the page proofs, all on one line.

“swimmingpools” -> “swimming pools"

This one was “ swimming-pools” in the page proofs, split across two lines.

What do you think?

— Formatting questions —

In the case of the Sussex vampire, at the end of the letter from Robert Ferguson, there is a postscript.

In the page proofs, there is a horizontal space between these two lines. In the ebook, there is not.

Marshall Clow

Feb 24, 2023, 7:56:10 PM2/24/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Feb 24, 2023, at 4:50 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com> wrote:
> — Formatting questions —
>
> In the case of the Sussex vampire, at the end of the letter from Robert Ferguson, there is a postscript.

> In the page proofs, there is a horizontal space between these two lines. In the ebook, there is not.
>
> <Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 4.48.07 PM.png>

I put the PS inside the blockquote that enclosed the rest of the letter; that seems to have fixed that.

— Marshall

Alex Cabal

Feb 26, 2023, 1:50:18 AM2/26/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
gamblingden, fellowstudent, letterbasket, swimmingpools all look like
transcription errors where the transcriber removed a connecting dash.
You should just restore the dash.

subdivided is fine.

I don't know what your formatting question is. Postscripts in letters
are covered in the SE manual. They are part of the letter.

On 2/24/23 6:50 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Feb 14, 2023, at 12:31 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com
> <mailto:mclow...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 13, 2023, at 10:53 PM, Emma Sweeney <sween...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:sween...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> You need to replace the ebook link with <a
>>> href="https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/arthur-conan-doyle/the-casebook-of-sherlock-holmes <https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/arthur-conan-doyle/the-casebook-of-sherlock-holmes>">standardebooks.org/ebooks/arthur-conan-doyle/the-casebook-of-sherlock-holmes <http://standardebooks.org/ebooks/arthur-conan-doyle/the-casebook-of-sherlock-holmes></a> in the colophon.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/FEC8D33D-9FBE-48B1-926B-EB8B47AFA6E8%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/FEC8D33D-9FBE-48B1-926B-EB8B47AFA6E8%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Marshall Clow

Feb 26, 2023, 11:34:34 AM2/26/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Feb 25, 2023, at 10:50 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

gamblingden, fellowstudent, letterbasket, swimmingpools all look like transcription errors where the transcriber removed a connecting dash. You should just restore the dash.

subdivided is fine.

Thanks.

I think this is ready for review.

I need to write production notes, though.

— Marshall

Alex Cabal

Feb 26, 2023, 4:19:09 PM2/26/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
David, you're up for review on this

On 2/26/23 10:34 AM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Feb 25, 2023, at 10:50 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> gamblingden, fellowstudent, letterbasket, swimmingpools all look like
>> transcription errors where the transcriber removed a connecting dash.
>> You should just restore the dash.
>>
>> subdivided is fine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I think this is ready for review.
>
> Repo is here:
> https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes <https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes>
>
> I need to write production notes, though.
>
> — Marshall
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0CE6A2E9-383F-4008-A9BF-4952E5965401%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0CE6A2E9-383F-4008-A9BF-4952E5965401%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David at Standard Ebooks

Feb 26, 2023, 4:43:52 PM2/26/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, but I'm away from home for the next couple of days, then have other things I need to do. It might have to wait until next weekend.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6f7f5935-2a5e-a95f-62cd-8c66a5abf3a5%40standardebooks.org.

Marshall Clow

Feb 26, 2023, 7:07:45 PM2/26/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Feb 26, 2023, at 1:43 PM, David at Standard Ebooks <standar...@thegriggs.org> wrote:

OK, but I'm away from home for the next couple of days, then have other things I need to do. It might have to wait until next weekend.

No worries - I will be AFK Wednesday -> Saturday myself.

— Marshall

David Grigg

Mar 3, 2023, 8:32:15 PM3/3/23
to Standard Ebooks
Marshall: there are a number of issues I've raised in the repository, please have a look at them. Let me know if you need any clarification or help.

In future, please don't submit a project for review until it really is complete from your point of view: you need to either complete PRODUCTION_NOTES or remove that line from content.opf.

Marshall Clow

Mar 5, 2023, 4:23:59 PM3/5/23
to Standard Ebooks
David has raised an issue about the title of the book I am producing.

He noted that
In some places it is “The Case-Book of Sherlock Holmes”
In other places it is “The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes”.
And in the preface it is “The Case Book of Sherlock Holmes”

He suggests that we pick one title and stick with it.
I completely agree.

However, I have noted that:
* The page scans show "Case Book”.

* The transcription from the Internet Archive uses “Casebook”
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Case-Book_of_Sherlock_Holmes uses "Case-Book"

Any opinions?

I have a weak preference for the two word version “Case Book”

— Marshall

Vince

Mar 5, 2023, 4:29:00 PM3/5/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Alex’s ultimate call, but our words file has casebook (which means the Case-Book should have been corrected by modernize spelling), as does M-W, so I would think that would be definitive.

Paul Bryan

Mar 5, 2023, 4:38:29 PM3/5/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
+1 to using modernized word, as it's in the list.

Marshall Clow

Mar 9, 2023, 11:04:09 PM3/9/23
to Alex Cabal, Standard Ebooks
Alex -

Do you have an opinion here?

— Marshall

Alex Cabal

Mar 9, 2023, 11:04:48 PM3/9/23
to Marshall Clow, Standard Ebooks
No, I'll defer to David

On 3/9/23 10:04 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
>> On Mar 5, 2023, at 1:28 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Alex’s ultimate call, but our words file has casebook (which means the
>> Case-Book should have been corrected by modernize spelling), as does
>> M-W, so I would think that would be definitive.
>>
>>> On Mar 5, 2023, at 3:23 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:mclow...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> David has raised an issue about the title of the book I am producing.
>>> https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes/issues/3 <https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes/issues/3>

David at Standard Ebooks

Mar 9, 2023, 11:38:04 PM3/9/23
to Marshall Clow, standar...@googlegroups.com, Standard Ebooks
Let's make it Casebook / casebook throughout, then.

Marshall Clow

Mar 10, 2023, 12:41:23 AM3/10/23
to David at Standard Ebooks, standar...@googlegroups.com
On Mar 9, 2023, at 8:37 PM, David at Standard Ebooks <standar...@thegriggs.org> wrote:

Let's make it Casebook / casebook throughout, then.

Will do.

Marshall Clow

Mar 10, 2023, 1:00:52 AM3/10/23
to David at Standard Ebooks, Standard Ebooks
On Mar 9, 2023, at 9:41 PM, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 9, 2023, at 8:37 PM, David at Standard Ebooks <standar...@thegriggs.org> wrote:

Let's make it Casebook / casebook throughout, then.

Will do.

What’s the approved procedure for updating the following files:

images/cover.svg
images/titlepage.svg

To change the title?

— Marshall

David at Standard Ebooks

Mar 10, 2023, 2:11:15 AM3/10/23
to Marshall Clow, Standard Ebooks
Easiest is to create a dummy new project with the correct title using SE create-draft and then copy those files across.

Marshall Clow

Mar 11, 2023, 10:47:06 PM3/11/23
to David at Standard Ebooks, Standard Ebooks
I think that this is ready for review (again).

— Marshall

David at Standard Ebooks

Mar 11, 2023, 11:01:08 PM3/11/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com, Standard Ebooks
OK, I'll take a look. Give me a day or two.
On 12 Mar 2023 at 2:47 PM +1100, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com>, wrote:
I think that this is ready for review (again).

— Marshall

David at Standard Ebooks

Mar 12, 2023, 8:25:34 PM3/12/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
All looks good, just a minor fix needed: The Lancet and the Medical Journal should be tagged as se:name.publication.journal, not magazine. Other than that, it all looks good to me.

Marshall Clow

David at Standard Ebooks

Mar 12, 2023, 11:01:09 PM3/12/23
to Standard Ebooks
Over to you, Alex.

Alex Cabal

Mar 15, 2023, 6:17:03 PM3/15/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Marshall, I see you have your email in the colophon and metadata. You
can keep it there if you like, I suggest against that. The colophon will
be exposed to the internet in the Github repo, and on the "read from the
ToC" and "read on one page" reading options, and your email will be
scraped and spammed. If you want to replace it with something else then
just push to your repo and let me know.

On 3/12/23 10:00 PM, David at Standard Ebooks wrote:
> Over to you, Alex.
> On 13 Mar 2023 at 1:33 PM +1100, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com>,
> wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2023, at 5:25 PM, David at Standard Ebooks
>> <standar...@thegriggs.org <mailto:standar...@thegriggs.org>>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> All looks good, just a minor fix needed: The Lancet and the Medical
>>> Journal should be tagged as se:name.publication.journal, not
>>> magazine. Other than that, it all looks good to me.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>> — Marshall
>>

>>> On 12 Mar 2023 at 3:01 PM +1100, David at Standard Ebooks
>>> <standar...@thegriggs.org <mailto:standar...@thegriggs.org>>,

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e8d254b5-9c37-4653-920a-290e97b18a9f%40Spark <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e8d254b5-9c37-4653-920a-290e97b18a9f%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8019A075-7523-4A56-84B9-3671B8A0446D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8019A075-7523-4A56-84B9-3671B8A0446D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4f4ce581-cc9a-450b-897c-de619289f232%40Spark <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4f4ce581-cc9a-450b-897c-de619289f232%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Mar 15, 2023, 6:18:53 PM3/15/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I also see you committed other people's emails into the metadata. Please
don't do that, for the same reasons I sent earlier. This are public
files and emails are generally private information.

On 3/12/23 10:00 PM, David at Standard Ebooks wrote:
> Over to you, Alex.
> On 13 Mar 2023 at 1:33 PM +1100, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com>,
> wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2023, at 5:25 PM, David at Standard Ebooks
>> <standar...@thegriggs.org <mailto:standar...@thegriggs.org>>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> All looks good, just a minor fix needed: The Lancet and the Medical
>>> Journal should be tagged as se:name.publication.journal, not
>>> magazine. Other than that, it all looks good to me.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>> — Marshall
>>

>>> On 12 Mar 2023 at 3:01 PM +1100, David at Standard Ebooks
>>> <standar...@thegriggs.org <mailto:standar...@thegriggs.org>>,

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e8d254b5-9c37-4653-920a-290e97b18a9f%40Spark <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e8d254b5-9c37-4653-920a-290e97b18a9f%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8019A075-7523-4A56-84B9-3671B8A0446D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8019A075-7523-4A56-84B9-3671B8A0446D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4f4ce581-cc9a-450b-897c-de619289f232%40Spark <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4f4ce581-cc9a-450b-897c-de619289f232%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Mar 15, 2023, 6:33:10 PM3/15/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, once we hear back from Marshall we'll be ready for release.

There were a lot of miscurled single quotes in this book. If this was
based on the PGA HTML transcription then these were probably introduced
by us with a bad find and replace somewhere. These should have been
caught in proofreading.

There was also much missing styling - text in all caps, missing footer
alignment, etc. Careful review of the page scans is necessary to make
sure we're getting everything, especially for these books that are
recently PD.

On 3/12/23 10:00 PM, David at Standard Ebooks wrote:
> Over to you, Alex.
> On 13 Mar 2023 at 1:33 PM +1100, Marshall Clow <mclow...@gmail.com>,
> wrote:
>> On Mar 12, 2023, at 5:25 PM, David at Standard Ebooks
>> <standar...@thegriggs.org <mailto:standar...@thegriggs.org>>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> All looks good, just a minor fix needed: The Lancet and the Medical
>>> Journal should be tagged as se:name.publication.journal, not
>>> magazine. Other than that, it all looks good to me.
>>
>> Done.
>>
>> — Marshall
>>

>>> On 12 Mar 2023 at 3:01 PM +1100, David at Standard Ebooks
>>> <standar...@thegriggs.org <mailto:standar...@thegriggs.org>>,

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e8d254b5-9c37-4653-920a-290e97b18a9f%40Spark <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e8d254b5-9c37-4653-920a-290e97b18a9f%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8019A075-7523-4A56-84B9-3671B8A0446D%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8019A075-7523-4A56-84B9-3671B8A0446D%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4f4ce581-cc9a-450b-897c-de619289f232%40Spark <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4f4ce581-cc9a-450b-897c-de619289f232%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David at Standard Ebooks

Mar 15, 2023, 10:48:10 PM3/15/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry I missed those incorrect right-quotes. I've added another regex to my review checklist, so I should spot them in future.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/67c6c709-11f4-2f17-0f06-ddb1e46ea513%40standardebooks.org.

Marshall Clow

Mar 16, 2023, 12:42:30 AM3/16/23
On Mar 15, 2023, at 3:16 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

Marshall, I see you have your email in the colophon and metadata. You can keep it there if you like, I suggest against that. The colophon will be exposed to the internet in the Github repo, and on the "read from the ToC" and "read on one page" reading options, and your email will be scraped and spammed. If you want to replace it with something else then just push to your repo and let me know.

Alex Cabal

Mar 16, 2023, 1:14:42 AM3/16/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks!

On 3/15/23 11:42 PM, Marshall Clow wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2023, at 3:16 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Marshall, I see you have your email in the colophon and metadata. You
>> can keep it there if you like, I suggest against that. The colophon
>> will be exposed to the internet in the Github repo, and on the "read
>> from the ToC" and "read on one page" reading options, and your email
>> will be scraped and spammed. If you want to replace it with something
>> else then just push to your repo and let me know.
>
> Done in commit
> https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes/commit/3975dae59b09b0c5bcc0c5926b75c076be24c402 <https://github.com/mclow/arthur-conan-doyle_the-case-book-of-sherlock-holmes/commit/3975dae59b09b0c5bcc0c5926b75c076be24c402>
>
> Thanks for the warning!
>
> — Marshall
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/82B1E7A8-16D8-4A1B-BBC1-1F085E5441AD%40gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/82B1E7A8-16D8-4A1B-BBC1-1F085E5441AD%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Marshall Clow

Mar 16, 2023, 10:27:44 AM3/16/23
to Standard Ebooks
On Mar 15, 2023, at 10:14 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

> OK, I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks!

Thanks!

And thanks to David and Emma (and everyone else) who helped me through the process.