[First Project] P.G. Wodehouse's The Adventures of Sally

Sean Foley

Jun 14, 2021, 8:35:40 AM6/14/21
to Standard Ebooks
I have used Standard Ebooks for a while now, and would like to get involved. I picked this book from the starter projects list on the "Wanted Books" page.

Alex Cabal

Jun 14, 2021, 12:47:28 PM6/14/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

It looks like there are numbered subsections within the chapters. Those
will go in their own <section> with the next <h#> level heading.

I see a few letters in there too, see the manual for copy and paste HTML
and CSS for letters.

Otherwise, should be pretty straightforward. Make sure to read the
Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting, as you won't know what
to fix if you haven't read the standards. In particular, please closely
review the semantics, high level patterns, and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/31204a56-9f22-4cec-9158-b160a21c480cn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/31204a56-9f22-4cec-9158-b160a21c480cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sean Foley

Jun 14, 2021, 4:20:22 PM6/14/21
to Standard Ebooks
Here is my Github repository, just with the initial commit right now. Will start on typography next!

Sean Foley

Jun 14, 2021, 5:12:55 PM6/14/21
to Standard Ebooks
Asking questions before I go and do all the subchapters wrong.

1) Do subchapters get their own document, or do they stay together in the chapter document?
2) The subchapters do not have names, just numbers. Currently they just formatted <p>1</p>. I assume these should be made <h3>1</h3>?
3) Looking though the High Level Structural Patterns page, I can't find the correct terminology for subchapter. Is there an index I can't find? Just confirming this is the correct term, and thus sections will look like this: <section id="subchapter-1-1" epub:type="subchapter">

Thanks in advance, my HTML is rusty so pardon if I ask some silly questions!

Alex Cabal

Jun 14, 2021, 5:14:33 PM6/14/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Sean Foley

Jun 17, 2021, 12:08:47 PM6/17/21
to Standard Ebooks
Could someone please explain how to use the letter CSS? I'm sure I'm doing something stupid, but I think I'm doing the HTML for my letters correctly but everything in the <blockquote> is just center justified and the headers and footers are all wrong. Thanks in advance.

Emma Sweeney

Jun 17, 2021, 12:30:24 PM6/17/21
to Standard Ebooks
All you need to do is copy the CSS that is located below Section 7.7.3.5.1 in the manual, and paste it in your local.css file. If you run se lint, it will tell you what is not used.

I can't check your HTML. You will have to push your changes to the github repository for me to see your work.

Emma