[Nex project] Russian Folk-Tales by Aleksandr Nikolaevich Afanasyev (trans. Leonard A. Magnus)

Hendrik Kaiber

Jul 16, 2024, 3:24:48 PM (yesterday) Jul 16
to Standard Ebooks
For my next project I would like to work in Russian Folk-Tales by Aleksandr Nikolaevich Afanasyev, translated by Leonard A. Magnus (scans). One reason the project might not be interested is because this isn't a translation of the complete work (the original in russian has almost 600 stories, according to Wikipedia).

If this is a desired production I have a few questions:

- The author 's name is spelled in several ways in different places, the PG has it as "Afanas'ev", wikipedia has as "Afanasyev" and the transcription has as both "Afanášev" and "Afanáśev" in the introduction. I think "Afanasyev" is the best because it seems to have the closer pronunciation to the original, but I might be wrong.

- The title in both the scans is "Russian Folk-Tales"; perhaps it should be modernized to "Russian Folktales"?

- Besides the introduction (which I believe we will want to keep), there is also a frontmatter section comparing the pronunciation of russian and english letters.
There are also two backmatter sections containing notes (separate from the endnotes) and a glossary. Which, if any, of these should be kept?

For the cover, I'm not sure, but this is a possibility, if the license is valid. It depicts a scene from one of the stories, so I think it is appropriate.

Can I work on this?

Alex Cabal

10:48 AM (13 hours ago) 10:48 AM
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, sure. Use Afanasyev and the byline "A. N. Afanasyev".

Changing it to "Folktales" is fine.

You can keep all of the front and back matter. Since there is a glossary
you will have to add a glossary key map, see the manual.

Cover is fine, I added it to the DB.

Weijia can you manage this with Robin reviewing?

On 7/16/24 2:24 PM, Hendrik Kaiber wrote:
> For my next project I would like to work in /Russian Folk-Tales
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/62509> /by /Aleksandr Nikolaevich
> Afanasyev/, translated by /Leonard A. Magnus/ (scans
> <https://archive.org/details/russianfolktales00afan_0>). One reason the
> project might not be interested is because this isn't a translation of
> the complete work (the original in russian has almost 600 stories,
> according to Wikipedia).
>
> If this is a desired production I have a few questions:
>
> - The author 's name is spelled in several ways in different places, the
> PG has it as "Afanas'ev", wikipedia has as "Afanasyev" and the
> transcription has as both "Afanášev" and "Afanáśev" in the introduction.
> I think "Afanasyev" is the best because it seems to have the closer
> pronunciation to the original, but I might be wrong.
>
> - The title in both the scans is "Russian Folk-Tales"; perhaps it should
> be modernized to "Russian Folktales"?
>
> - Besides the introduction (which I believe we will want to keep), there
> is also a frontmatter section comparing the pronunciation of russian and
> english letters.
> There are also two backmatter sections containing notes (separate from
> the endnotes) and a glossary. Which, if any, of these should be kept?
>
> For the cover, I'm not sure, but this
> <https://www.kansallisgalleria.fi/en/object/400747> is a possibility, if
> the license is valid. It depicts a scene from one of the stories, so I
> think it is appropriate.
>
> Can I work on this?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c06ebe95-d635-4c1e-9307-99edb8bc20a9n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c06ebe95-d635-4c1e-9307-99edb8bc20a9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

11:34 AM (12 hours ago) 11:34 AM
to Standard Ebooks
Sure, I can manage.

Hendrik Kaiber

11:37 AM (12 hours ago) 11:37 AM
to Standard Ebooks
Here's my repo.

-Hendrik

Hendrik Kaiber

11:41 AM (12 hours ago) 11:41 AM
to Standard Ebooks
I forgot to ask in the first message, but there is three stories called "A Tale of the Dead", how should I approach this? Keep the same title in all and put a number in the id (like a-tale-of-the-dead-1 and so on)?

-Hendrik

Robin Whittleton

12:06 PM (12 hours ago) 12:06 PM
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Will review.

> On 17 Jul 2024, at 16:48, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> OK, sure. Use Afanasyev and the byline "A. N. Afanasyev".
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8cb9d967-d8b3-4f2d-9dbd-2afc53e9cd71%40standardebooks.org.

Hendrik Kaiber

8:02 PM (4 hours ago) 8:02 PM
to Standard Ebooks
Two more questions:

- In The Animals’ Winter Quarters and The Sea Tsar and Vasilísa the Wise there are notes that appear more than once (notes 41 and 43), but lead to the same endnote, how should they be dealt with? Keep the first and delete the others?

- In the introduction and the notes there are some instances of words and phrases in brackets, which seem to fill the same purpose of an endnote, should they be kept as-is or changed in a editorial commit to endnotes?

-Hendrik