[Next Project] The Pilgrim Kamanita, by Karl Gjellerup

Bob Reus

Nov 15, 2022, 8:24:44 AM11/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
With Germinie Lacerteux ready for review, I would like to get started on my next project: The Pilgrim Kamanita by Karl Gjellerup, from the wanted list.

The transcription: The Pilgrim Kamanita - Wikisource, the free online library

I checked the quality of the transcription, it seems faithful to the scans (italics intact).

Looking forward to working on this! I'll be staying at a Buddhist monastery for a few weeks next month, so this is a fun project to pass the time until then :)

Alex Cabal

Nov 15, 2022, 1:02:01 PM11/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure! Note that there are footnotes, and those might be tough to pull
out of Wikisource.

Please send a link to your repo once you get started.

David, can you manage this with Emma reviewing?

On 11/15/22 7:24 AM, Bob Reus wrote:
> With Germinie Lacerteux ready for review, I would like to get started on
> my next project: The Pilgrim Kamanita by Karl Gjellerup, from the wanted
> list.
>
> The transcription: The Pilgrim Kamanita - Wikisource, the free online
> library <https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Pilgrim_Kamanita>
> Pagescans on IA: The Pilgrim Kamanita : Logie, John F. Tr. Internet
> Archive <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.514595>
>
> I checked the quality of the transcription, it seems faithful to the
> scans (italics intact).
>
> Looking forward to working on this! I'll be staying at a Buddhist
> monastery for a few weeks next month, so this is a fun project to pass
> the time until then :)
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bob Reus

Nov 15, 2022, 2:13:47 PM11/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
I've started, here's the repo: https://github.com/bob-reus/karl-gjellerup_the-pilgrim-kamanita_john-f-logie

I decided to strip the footnotes and references for now, and will re-insert them manually later. Thankfully there aren't that many.

Emma Sweeney

Nov 15, 2022, 8:05:45 PM11/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sure.

Emma

Bob Reus

Dec 27, 2022, 6:15:20 AM12/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
I have finished proofreading this, and have some findings that I'm not sure about:

* In chapter 10, "The Heroic Song of Krishna and Arjuna" is mentioned, which seems to refer to the Bhagavad Gita. This would be similar to using "The Good Book" to the Bible, I guess. (How) should I semanticate this?
* In the sentence "There was a loud shriek, and the disappearance of the ray, no less than the clirr of the small lamp as it fell to the earth, bore witness to the efficacy of my stroke". Clirr is a transliteration of the German Klirren (I cross-checked with the German text) which doesn't make much sense. It's not in the MW. Should this get an xml:lang="und" tag?
* The first chapter begins with "This have I heard", both in the transcription and the page scans. In pretty much every buddhist text I have read (and I've read quite a few by now), it is phrased as "Thus have I heard," including other instances in this book. There's even a Wikipedia page for the phrase: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thus_have_I_heard Even though it may not seem obviously wrong, it really irks me. Could I change This to Thus?

-Bob

Weijia Cheng

Dec 27, 2022, 9:00:07 AM12/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
> In chapter 10, "The Heroic Song of Krishna and Arjuna" is mentioned, which seems to refer to the Bhagavad Gita. This would be similar to using "The Good Book" to the Bible, I guess. (How) should I semanticate this?

That would make it a "holy text" so unitalicized. You could put a <span epub:type="se:name.publication.poem"> around it to give it semantics without italicizing it..

> Clirr is a transliteration of the German Klirren (I cross-checked with the German text) which doesn't make much sense. It's not in the MW. Should this get an xml:lang="und" tag?

Are you sure "clirr" isn't just a word written to be read as a sound? Klirren in German doesn't seem to have any real meaning except as an onomatopoeia either.

> Even though it may not seem obviously wrong, it really irks me. Could I change This to Thus?

I don't think I should rule on this one, but perhaps one piece of evidence in favor of this change is that a modern edition of this book published by a Buddhist monastery changes it from "this" to "thus" too, so it doesn't seem completely unprecedented.

Bob Reus

Feb 13, 2023, 3:04:27 AM2/13/23
to Standard Ebooks
Turns out it is pretty difficult to find a Buddhism themed oil painting with a CC0 license... I have a few options, of which I like this one the most. It is a watercolor, and obviously so, so I'm not sure if this is acceptable. If it's not, I'll keep looking :)

lafargewaterlily.jpg
Water lily in sunlight, by John La Farge: https://americanart.si.edu/artwork/water-lily-sunlight-14203

Alex Cabal

Feb 13, 2023, 1:21:51 PM2/13/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think that's too obviously a watercolor for our purposes, sorry.

On 2/13/23 2:04 AM, Bob Reus wrote:
> [...]
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f7c1ed64-f4e3-4faa-b753-a500b695b977n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f7c1ed64-f4e3-4faa-b753-a500b695b977n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bob Reus

Mar 7, 2023, 3:44:13 AM3/7/23
to Standard Ebooks
I found an oil painting that's fairly similar:

Water Lilies, Study for the Youth and a Mermaid by Albert Edelfelt, which is CC0 on the Finnish National Gallery website: https://www.kansallisgalleria.fi/en/object/521335

The book roughly consists of two parts: the life of Kamanita in the first half, and The Paradise of the west, a Brahman afterlife, in the second half. That afterlife is described as a large pond with lotus flowers. There, Kamanita is reunited with his beloved Vasitthi after being separated from each other for almost a lifetime. The two lotus flowers and the distance between them thus symbolize both halves of the book. Here's hoping this is appropriate enough as a cover.

kamanita-edelfeltcover.jpg

Alex Cabal

Mar 7, 2023, 4:53:12 PM3/7/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Looks good, thanks!

On 3/7/23 2:44 AM, Bob Reus wrote:
> [...]
> second half. That afterlife is described as a large pond with lotus
> flowers. There, Kamanita is reunited with his beloved Vasitthi after
> being separated from each other for almost a lifetime. The two lotus
> flowers and the distance between them thus symbolize both halves of the
> book. Here's hoping this is appropriate enough as a cover.
>

> <https://archive.org/details/ThePilgrimKamanitaABuddhistNovel/page/n19/mode/2up <https://archive.org/details/ThePilgrimKamanitaABuddhistNovel/page/n19/mode/2up>> changes it from "this" to "thus" too, so it doesn't seem completely unprecedented.
> https://github.com/bob-reus/karl-gjellerup_the-pilgrim-kamanita_john-f-logie <https://github.com/bob-reus/karl-gjellerup_the-pilgrim-kamanita_john-f-logie> <https://github.com/bob-reus/karl-gjellerup_the-pilgrim-kamanita_john-f-logie <https://github.com/bob-reus/karl-gjellerup_the-pilgrim-kamanita_john-f-logie>>
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dfa97b0d-c709-42ef-97c5-799f5a7af83en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f7c1ed64-f4e3-4faa-b753-a500b695b977n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f7c1ed64-f4e3-4faa-b753-a500b695b977n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f7c1ed64-f4e3-4faa-b753-a500b695b977n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f7c1ed64-f4e3-4faa-b753-a500b695b977n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d5a6f3f3-2e29-451d-9fbc-61047f30b5d5n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d5a6f3f3-2e29-451d-9fbc-61047f30b5d5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Bob Reus

Apr 9, 2023, 12:30:08 AM4/9/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com

This is ready for review: https://github.com/bob-reus/karl-gjellerup_the-pilgrim-kamanita_john-e-logie

Some notes on this production:
* There is some non-standard formatting in Chapter 10. According to the author's note at the end of the book, this chapter mimicks the style of Indian Sutras. Therefore I have tried to keep the formatting intact where it might go against SEMoS (smallcaps text, mainly)
* The opening words were changed from "This have I heard" to "Thus have I heard", as this is the common translation for the first line in Buddhist discourses.
* There are no subject headings for this book in the Library of Congress catalog. I have used the appropriate subject headings from the German edition of the book on Project Gutenberg.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 10, 2023, 9:21:48 PM4/10/23
to Standard Ebooks
Great work! I filed some minor errors in your repository.

Emma

Emma Sweeney

Apr 11, 2023, 3:50:06 AM4/11/23
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, this one is ready for you.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Apr 11, 2023, 2:29:44 PM4/11/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alex Cabal

Apr 11, 2023, 2:32:16 PM4/11/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great, everything looks good and I've gone ahead and released it.
Great work as usual Bob, thanks!