[New Project] the Life of Olaudah Equiano

B Keith

Apr 9, 2021, 4:26:23 PM4/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
I’ve started on The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African.

I can’t find the version PG used. The only one with all the Subscription I can find is the original edition with all the archaic  spelling and use of the long s which isnt int eh PG.

So I am using the 1837 Knapp which was later reprinted by the Negro Universities Press in 1969 — so I figure that gives it some authority:

There is a chapter of Miscellaneous Verses in between Chapters 10 and 11. I have made it its own file with a h2 and will order it there in the spine. Ok?

Cover:
Most of the editions have a painting that was previously thought to be of Olaudah called Portrait of an African by Allan Ramsay c1758. Recently though this has now been determined to be a picture of Ignatious Sancho (another 18th century black activist). Some of the rhetoric surrounding the miss-assignation has been quite strident so it might be best to avoid using that image. Similar logic  would lead me away from using another image of a black person of means from the 1700s (although so far other images of Ignatious are all I can find and none in any PD sources.)

Thoughts then on the appropriate imagery to use for the cover? Most of Olaudah’s life was spent at at sea—indeed the text reads very similarly to an Aubrey/Maturin or Hornblower novel. Should I look for something nautical or do we feel I should keep digging for something to address the slavery/negro topic.

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Apr 9, 2021, 4:57:14 PM4/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Our cover art choices are going to be fairly limited just by the nature
of the endeavor. I'm fine with using that portrait. The man on the cover
of Twelve Years a Slave isn't Solomon Northup, and the women on the
cover of Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl aren't Linda Brent, and
the man on the cover of Portrait of an Artist isn't James Joyce.

On 4/9/21 3:26 PM, B Keith wrote:
> I’ve started on The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah
> Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African.
>
> I can’t find the version PG used. The only one with all the Subscription
> I can find is the original edition with all the archaic  spelling and
> use of the long s which isnt int eh PG.
>
> So I am using the 1837 Knapp which was later reprinted by the Negro
> Universities Press in 1969 — so I figure that gives it some authority:
> https://archive.org/details/lifeofolaudahequ00equi_0/page/n9/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/lifeofolaudahequ00equi_0/page/n9/mode/2up>
>

> There is a chapter of Miscellaneous Verses in between Chapters 10 and
> 11. I have made it its own file with a h2 and will order it there in the
> spine. Ok?
>

> *Cover:*
> Most of the editions have a painting that was previously thought to be
> of Olaudah called Portrait of an African by Allan Ramsay c1758. Recently
> though this has now been determined to be a picture of Ignatious Sancho
> (another 18th century black activist). Some of the rhetoric surrounding
> the miss-assignation has been quite strident so it might be best to
> avoid using that image. Similar logic  would lead me away from using
> another image of a black person of means from the 1700s (although so far
> other images of Ignatious are all I can find and none in any PD sources.)
>
> Thoughts then on the appropriate imagery to use for the cover? Most of
> Olaudah’s life was spent at at sea—indeed the text reads very similarly
> to an Aubrey/Maturin or Hornblower novel. Should I look for something
> nautical or do we feel I should keep digging for something to address
> the slavery/negro topic.
>

> _________
>
> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C81A262E-C944-4ABC-BFCD-0FBADCC94BD8%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C81A262E-C944-4ABC-BFCD-0FBADCC94BD8%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Apr 9, 2021, 4:59:28 PM4/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If you do select that cover, make sure to send PD proof, and recall that
etchings aren't enough

On 4/9/21 3:26 PM, B Keith wrote:
> I’ve started on The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah
> Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African.
>
> I can’t find the version PG used. The only one with all the Subscription
> I can find is the original edition with all the archaic  spelling and
> use of the long s which isnt int eh PG.
>
> So I am using the 1837 Knapp which was later reprinted by the Negro
> Universities Press in 1969 — so I figure that gives it some authority:
> https://archive.org/details/lifeofolaudahequ00equi_0/page/n9/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/lifeofolaudahequ00equi_0/page/n9/mode/2up>
>

> There is a chapter of Miscellaneous Verses in between Chapters 10 and
> 11. I have made it its own file with a h2 and will order it there in the
> spine. Ok?
>

> *Cover:*
> Most of the editions have a painting that was previously thought to be
> of Olaudah called Portrait of an African by Allan Ramsay c1758. Recently
> though this has now been determined to be a picture of Ignatious Sancho
> (another 18th century black activist). Some of the rhetoric surrounding
> the miss-assignation has been quite strident so it might be best to
> avoid using that image. Similar logic  would lead me away from using
> another image of a black person of means from the 1700s (although so far
> other images of Ignatious are all I can find and none in any PD sources.)
>
> Thoughts then on the appropriate imagery to use for the cover? Most of
> Olaudah’s life was spent at at sea—indeed the text reads very similarly
> to an Aubrey/Maturin or Hornblower novel. Should I look for something
> nautical or do we feel I should keep digging for something to address
> the slavery/negro topic.
>

> _________
>
> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

B Keith

Apr 9, 2021, 5:07:38 PM4/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
That’s the next challenge. I found a high res version but the original is at the Royal Albert in Devon and not CC0. So far everything I’ve found of Ramsay's has been portraits of King George…seems there was no real interest in reproducing the portrait of the black guy :-(

Anyone who’s come across a black gentleman or seaman let me know...

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9432cf3f-c5a8-90af-ec86-01e8465c31bb%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

Apr 9, 2021, 5:21:35 PM4/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yeah, I had a heck of a time for Incidents. I would like to do Uncle Tom’s Cabin, but I shudder at finding a cover, and I’m not even going to try it if I don’t have one.

B Keith

Apr 9, 2021, 6:00:27 PM4/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
Vince,

This one is too recent for me but it would work great for Uncle Tom’s Cabin wouldnt it?

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Apr 9, 2021, 6:05:13 PM4/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That one's in use already

On 4/9/21 5:00 PM, B Keith wrote:
> Vince,
>
> This one is too recent for me but it would work great for Uncle Tom’s
> Cabin wouldnt it?
>
> https://www.si.edu/object/lord-my-shepherd:saam_1979.5.13?
> <https://www.si.edu/object/lord-my-shepherd:saam_1979.5.13?>
>

> _________
>
> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>
>> On Apr 9, 2021, at 3:21 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, I had a heck of a time for /Incidents/. I would like to do
>> /Uncle Tom’s Cabin/, but I shudder at finding a cover, and I’m not
>> even going to try it if I don’t have one.
>>
>>> On Apr 9, 2021, at 4:07 PM, B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> That’s the next challenge. I found a high res version but the
>>> original is at the Royal Albert in Devon and not CC0. So far
>>> everything  I’ve found of Ramsay's has been portraits of King
>>> George…seems there was no real interest in reproducing the portrait
>>> of the black guy :-(
>>>
>>> Anyone who’s come across a black gentleman or seaman let me know...
>>

>> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/80382125-52B0-4506-B49F-1028FF2A109C%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/80382125-52B0-4506-B49F-1028FF2A109C%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 9, 2021, 6:05:35 PM4/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I’m pretty sure that one’s already in use… Yes, it’s on James Weldon Johnson’s Poetry. But thanks very much for thinking of me; all help is welcome!

B Keith

Apr 9, 2021, 6:13:11 PM4/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
Alex,

A theoretical question. This one is a bit too beat up to use (unless I get real desperate) but I thought I would ask anyway. It doesn’t show up as an image at the Rijksmuseum and the details are not accessible, but the Wikiart page has its status as CC0. Would that be good enough?

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-A-4988
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hollandse_koopman_met_slaven_in_heuvellandschap_Rijksmuseum_SK-A-4988.jpeg
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

B Keith

Apr 10, 2021, 12:20:35 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
t-043, dialog tag missing punctuation

Any idea what I am looking for here?
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Vince

Apr 10, 2021, 12:58:59 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
“Blah blah” said Bob “blah blah”.

i.e. no punctuation anywhere in the transition from quote to who said it and back.

B Keith

Apr 10, 2021, 1:10:08 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks Vince. It would have to happen in the world’s longest paragraph… :-)

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

B Keith

Apr 10, 2021, 1:20:25 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
No luck with finding any PD proofs of the Olaudah/Ignatious portrait. The picture is everywhere but it doesn't seem to have been reproduced beyond the original etching.

What do you think of this? Its time-period appropriate and Olaudah spends most of his time as the servant to one captain or another. I am still fiddlin’ with the crop.

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Apr 10, 2021, 2:50:51 PM4/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That looks good, though I think adjusting the color makes it look a
little washed out.

On 4/10/21 12:20 PM, B Keith wrote:
> No luck with finding any PD proofs of the Olaudah/Ignatious portrait.
> The picture is everywhere but it doesn't seem to have been reproduced
> beyond the original etching.
>
> What do you think of this? Its time-period appropriate and Olaudah
> spends most of his time as the servant to one captain or another. I am
> still fiddlin’ with the crop.
>
> https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-A-2248
> <https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-A-2248>
>

> _________
>
> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>
>> On Apr 9, 2021, at 3:07 PM, B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> That’s the next challenge. I found a high res version but the original
>> is at the Royal Albert in Devon and not CC0. So far everything  I’ve
>> found of Ramsay's has been portraits of King George…seems there was no
>> real interest in reproducing the portrait of the black guy :-(
>>
>> Anyone who’s come across a black gentleman or seaman let me know...
>>
>> _________
>>
>> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>>
>>> On Apr 9, 2021, at 2:59 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>>>
>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9432cf3f-c5a8-90af-ec86-01e8465c31bb%40standardebooks.org
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9432cf3f-c5a8-90af-ec86-01e8465c31bb%40standardebooks.org>.
>>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9A7011B0-C651-4520-9B4D-32BC8588F4F1%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9A7011B0-C651-4520-9B4D-32BC8588F4F1%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B Keith

Apr 10, 2021, 3:04:34 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
Ya I just did a quick levels adjust. Now that its approved I will do it properly and try and retain the colour density.

Thanks

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

B Keith

Apr 10, 2021, 4:40:34 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
Is there any meta-data for alternate author names?

William F Cody vs Buffalo Bill
Olaudah Equiano vs Gustavus Vassa

In both cases the both versions of the name are mentioned in the full titles which only appear in the content.opf:

The Life of Hon. William F. Cody, Known as Buffalo Bill, The Famous Hunter, Scout and Guide. An Autobiography.
The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9191e597-c87c-557c-d293-7b191b74a153%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Apr 10, 2021, 4:55:56 PM4/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No, but you can include those full titles in the metadata and they
should be searchable

B Keith

Apr 21, 2021, 4:18:43 PM4/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
Ok I am at a little bit of a crossroads with this.

Gutenberg seems to have taken their text from the original. This was published in 1789 and contains long s which Gutenberg modernized.

I had intended to use the 1837 Knapp edition to proof against but here I am in Chapter 2 starting to realize that the while pretty much every word is the same, the punctuation is completely different. I caught a lot of it in chapter 1 but I am pretty sure I am missing a lot as well. It would literally take a phrase by phrase comparison because the changes are really idiosyncratic. They have also  changed to  American spellings in a bunch of instances.

At this point I am thinking I should revert my changes for Chap 1 and stick with the GB versions. What do you think?

GB:
I was trained up from my earliest years in the art of war; my daily exercise was shooting and throwing javelins; and my mother adorned me with emblems, after the manner of our greatest warriors. In this way I grew up till I was turned the age of eleven, when an end was put to my happiness in the following manner:—Generally when the grown people in the neighbourhood were gone far in the fields to labour, the children assembled together in some of the neighbours’ premises to play; and commonly some of us used to get up a tree to look out for any assailant, or kidnapper, that might come upon us; for they sometimes took those opportunities of our parents’ absence to attack and carry off as many as they could seize.

Knapp
I was trained up from my earliest years in the art of war: my daily exercise was shooting and throwing javelins; and my mother adorned me with emblems, after the manner of our greatest warriors. In this way I grew up till I was turned the age of eleven, when an end was put to my happiness in the following manner:—generally when the grown people in the neighbourhood were gone far in the fields to labor, the children assembled together in some of the neighboring premises to play; and commonly some of us used to get up a tree to look out for any assailant, or kidnapper, that might come upon usfor they sometimes took those opportunities of our parents’ absence, to attack and carry off as many as they could seize.

That’s 5 changes in one little excerpt. I am definitely going to miss a lot unless I do this a lot slower.

Bruce

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Apr 21, 2021, 6:15:09 PM4/21/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That doesn't look like a big difference. You can just stick with the PG
transcription.

On 4/21/21 3:18 PM, B Keith wrote:
> Ok I am at a little bit of a crossroads with this.
>
> Gutenberg seems to have taken their text from the original. This was
> published in 1789 and contains long s which Gutenberg modernized.
>
> I /had/ intended to use the 1837 Knapp edition to proof against but here
> I am in Chapter 2 starting to realize that the while pretty much every
> word is the same, the punctuation is completely different. I caught a
> lot of it in chapter 1 but I am pretty sure I am missing a lot as well.
> It would literally take a phrase by phrase comparison because the
> changes are really idiosyncratic. They have also  changed to  American
> spellings in a bunch of instances.
>
> At this point I am thinking I should revert my changes for Chap 1 and
> stick with the GB versions. What do you think?
>
> GB:
> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.69015000002721&view=1up&seq=83 <https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.69015000002721&view=1up&seq=83>
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> No, but you can include those full titles in the metadata and they
>> should be searchable
>>
>> On 4/10/21 3:40 PM, B Keith wrote:
>>> Is there any meta-data for alternate author names?
>>> William F Cody vs Buffalo Bill
>>> Olaudah Equiano vs Gustavus Vassa
>>> In both cases the both versions of the name are mentioned in the full
>>> titles which only appear in the content.opf:
>>> The Life of Hon. William F. Cody, Known as Buffalo Bill, The Famous
>>> Hunter, Scout and Guide. An Autobiography.
>>> The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus
>>> Vassa, the African
>>> _________
>>> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96d2c68b-e9f3-f490-17fa-3c77920460b2%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/96d2c68b-e9f3-f490-17fa-3c77920460b2%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/51595785-2FEB-4F92-A775-C8C7393916D5%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/51595785-2FEB-4F92-A775-C8C7393916D5%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B Keith

Apr 27, 2021, 1:06:01 PM4/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
<header>
<h2 epub:type="title">Miscellaneous Verses</h2>
</header>

My brain is fuzzy this morning. How should I be doin g the “or” in this case?

Alex Cabal

Apr 27, 2021, 2:02:04 PM4/27/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Is that the half title?
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.5.0/single-page#6.5.8

"Or" is part of the subtitle

B Keith

Apr 27, 2021, 2:06:41 PM4/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
No. There is a section called Miscellaneous Verses that appears between chapter 10 and 11

<section id="miscellaneous-verses" epub:type="chapter">
<header>
<h2 epub:type="title">Miscellaneous Verses</h2>
</header>

On that note I just found that in the original edition which was published in two parts ( Chap 1-6 and Chap 7-12) there were a series of 4 biblical quotes at the end of Chap 6. I was thinking they should also be in their own file. Or should they just be at the end of Chap 6?

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Apr 27, 2021, 2:09:11 PM4/27/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Same principle. "Or," is part of the subtitle, "Reflections.." is the
subtitle, see the headings section of the manual

For quotes, I would just cut them if they were cut in later editions.
They were probably only included as semi-relevant end matter because of
the physical division of volumes.

B Keith

Apr 27, 2021, 2:34:17 PM4/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
One last issue and then I think I am done with this. I have been using the working title of The Life of Olaudah Equiano
The real title is The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African
The original proposal called it The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano

Should I leave it as is or change it to The Interesting Narrative...

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Apr 27, 2021, 2:35:13 PM4/27/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
"The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano" is fine, see
David Copperfield for an example of how to include the longer title in
the metadata

On 4/27/21 1:34 PM, B Keith wrote:
> One last issue and then I think I am done with this. I have been using
> the working title of /The Life of Olaudah Equiano/
> The real title is /The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah
> Equiano, or Gustavus Vassa, the African/
> The original proposal called it /The Interesting Narrative of the Life
> of Olaudah Equiano/
>
> Should I leave it as is or change it to /The Interesting Narrative.../
>
> _________
>
> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>
>> On Apr 27, 2021, at 12:09 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/998fbd99-e9bc-3ccc-5770-ddf989692c55%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/998fbd99-e9bc-3ccc-5770-ddf989692c55%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D93FF3FB-5B5E-4DFE-B6C6-64D02E0D91E4%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D93FF3FB-5B5E-4DFE-B6C6-64D02E0D91E4%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B Keith

Apr 27, 2021, 3:37:12 PM4/27/21
to Standard Ebooks
Ok. I believe I finally got everything. It should be ready for review.
https://github.com/b-t-k/olaudah-equiano_the-life-of-olaudah-equiano

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1426d229-d41f-9245-3172-ac4dca300222%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Apr 28, 2021, 7:43:57 PM4/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you fix the lint errors?

B Keith

Apr 28, 2021, 8:47:22 PM4/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Honest to god I don’t know how I do these things. I swear I never touch anything after I run clean/lint etc and yet somehow I still make changes thoughtlessly.

Should be fixed now.

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/53228802-9e9f-94ff-401e-72a161a53fb0%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Apr 29, 2021, 1:30:03 PM4/29/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, everything looks very good. I've gone ahead and released it, thanks!

B Keith

Apr 29, 2021, 1:48:05 PM4/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
Great. It was a surprising interesting read. I would recommend it to anyone as both a history of British slavery and anyne interested in the age of sail.

For my own edification I had looked up lanthorn in MW and it listed it as a British spelling. Is it in fact an archaic spelling?

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/00836ff3-6b6b-526c-25d0-e57f4f6e0b4f%40standardebooks.org.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 29, 2021, 1:49:07 PM4/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
It’s certainly not a modern one in British english.

-Robin
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A1908787-CF4C-4138-88B3-69076F5D2E93%40gmail.com.

Alex Cabal

Apr 29, 2021, 1:56:18 PM4/29/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it's archaic. Recently added to the script.