[New product] Thomas Paine’s Essays

Robin Whittleton

Apr 12, 2021, 3:12:21 PM4/12/21
to Standard Ebooks
Forgot to make a thread of this. The listing is:

  • Common Sense
  • The Republican Proclamation
  • Anti-Monarchal Essay
  • Declaration of Rights
  • Dissertation on First Principles of Government
  • The Decline and Fall of the English System of Finance
  • Agrarian Justice

The Gutenberg transcription is OK, but has required some massaging, and there’s a few references to other places in the collection that we’re not producing that have required editorial changes / inserts.

Cover art: a portrait by Laurent Dabos. CC0 from Smithsonian: https://npg.si.edu/object/npg_NPG.2008.5

Robin Whittleton

Apr 13, 2021, 3:12:55 PM4/13/21
to Standard Ebooks
cssselect isn’t convinced by my fun selectors 🙁

#agrarian-justice table:first-of-type td:not(:last-child)
#agrarian-justice table:first-of-type > tfoot td:not(:empty)

Going to have to find a way to rewrite them, shouldn’t be too difficult though.

<thumbnail_5da99afa6878d518386bd92e09164937d25f830f_EBOK_portrait.jpg>

Alex Cabal

Apr 13, 2021, 3:58:14 PM4/13/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
We also don't want to get too crazy with selectors in case build has
trouble simplifying them.

You can do the inverse, so instead of

#elem td:not(:last-child){
color: red;
}

You could do

#elem td{
color: red;
}

#elem td:last-child{
color: initial;
}

On 4/13/21 2:12 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> cssselect isn’t convinced by my fun selectors 🙁
>
> #agrarian-justice table:first-of-type td:not(:last-child)
> #agrarian-justice table:first-of-type > tfoot td:not(:empty)
>
> Going to have to find a way to rewrite them, shouldn’t be too difficult
> though.
>
>> On 12 Apr 2021, at 21:12, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>
>> Forgot to make a thread of this. The listing is:
>>
>> # Common Sense
>> # The Republican Proclamation
>> # Anti-Monarchal Essay
>> # Declaration of Rights
>> # Dissertation on First Principles of Government
>> # The Decline and Fall of the English System of Finance
>> # Agrarian Justice
>>
>> The Gutenberg transcription is OK, but has required some massaging,
>> and there’s a few references to other places in the collection that
>> we’re not producing that have required editorial changes / inserts.
>>
>> Cover art: a portrait by Laurent Dabos. CC0 from Smithsonian:
>> https://npg.si.edu/object/npg_NPG.2008.5
>> <https://npg.si.edu/object/npg_NPG.2008.5>
>>
>> <thumbnail_5da99afa6878d518386bd92e09164937d25f830f_EBOK_portrait.jpg>
>>
>> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7A5DCA60-D4EC-4C85-8307-D79F3E5397AB%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7A5DCA60-D4EC-4C85-8307-D79F3E5397AB%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 18, 2021, 3:36:17 PM4/18/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, that was dramatically more work than Hindu Tales! But now ready for review: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/thomas-paine_essays

  • Most of the essays were in fairly good shape, barring some references to other essays in the source volumes that required rewriting or substitution. This was all done in [Editorial] commits.
  • …but “Common Sense” was in a bad way, and required substantial work. I’ve removed lots of inappropriate capitalisation and commas (checking against source scans) and fixed a bunch of typos.
  • A lot of the essays had an introduction and prefaces. I’ve left them in as subchapters, but I think a review of the overall structure and whether they’re wanted might be a good idea.
  • There’s some reasonable complex CSS in there to get tables styled correctly. At one point there’s side-by-side tables, so I chucked them in a flexbox container.
  • Cover art as mentioned earlier in the thread.
  • I’ve not read any Thomas Paine before, so to see him espousing a universal basic income funded by an inheritance tax was pretty cool. And the King at the time seemed definitely like a bit of a dick.

I’m going to continue from where I left off with Helen Keller, and hopefully I’ll be able to get that done before the end of the month too.

-Robin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a7c38a0-1f72-c907-1495-f9d400e94c06%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Apr 18, 2021, 9:27:40 PM4/18/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Vince can you review this?

On 4/18/21 2:36 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> OK, that was dramatically more work than /Hindu Tales/! But now ready
> for review: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/thomas-paine_essays
> <https://github.com/robinwhittleton/thomas-paine_essays>
>
> * Most of the essays were in fairly good shape, barring some
> references to other essays in the source volumes that required
> rewriting or substitution. This was all done in [Editorial] commits.
> * …but “Common Sense” was in a bad way, and required substantial work.
> I’ve removed lots of inappropriate capitalisation and commas
> (checking against source scans) and fixed a bunch of typos.
> * A lot of the essays had an introduction and prefaces. I’ve left them
> in as subchapters, but I think a review of the overall structure and
> whether they’re wanted might be a good idea.
> * There’s some reasonable complex CSS in there to get tables styled
> correctly. At one point there’s side-by-side tables, so I chucked
> them in a flexbox container.
> * Cover art as mentioned earlier in the thread.
> * I’ve not read any Thomas Paine before, so to see him espousing a
> universal basic income funded by an inheritance tax was pretty cool.
> And the King at the time seemed definitely like a bit of a dick.
>

> I’m going to continue from where I left off with Helen Keller, and
> hopefully I’ll be able to get that done before the end of the month too.
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 13 Apr 2021, at 21:58, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> We also don't want to get too crazy with selectors in case build has
>> trouble simplifying them.
>>
>> You can do the inverse, so instead of
>>
>> #elem td:not(:last-child){
>> color: red;
>> }
>>
>> You could do
>>
>> #elem td{
>> color: red;
>> }
>>
>> #elem td:last-child{
>> color: initial;
>> }
>>
>> On 4/13/21 2:12 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
>>> cssselect isn’t convinced by my fun selectors 🙁
>>> #agrarian-justice table:first-of-type td:not(:last-child)
>>> #agrarian-justice table:first-of-type > tfoot td:not(:empty)
>>> Going to have to find a way to rewrite them, shouldn’t be too
>>> difficult though.

>>> --
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a7c38a0-1f72-c907-1495-f9d400e94c06%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a7c38a0-1f72-c907-1495-f9d400e94c06%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/217BC959-89CC-418B-864F-7134171C896C%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/217BC959-89CC-418B-864F-7134171C896C%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 19, 2021, 1:14:56 AM4/19/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sure thing.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/be01368f-a595-dac0-c029-3389f98c06ff%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Apr 20, 2021, 3:19:23 PM4/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Before Vince gets to it, I see you used " for a ditto mark in a table.
However Five Weeks in a Balloon just alerted me to U+3003, "ditto mark",
which we should use instead. I just pushed an update to build that will
replace that with rdquo for compatibility.

On 4/18/21 2:36 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> OK, that was dramatically more work than /Hindu Tales/! But now ready
> for review: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/thomas-paine_essays
> <https://github.com/robinwhittleton/thomas-paine_essays>
>
> * Most of the essays were in fairly good shape, barring some
> references to other essays in the source volumes that required
> rewriting or substitution. This was all done in [Editorial] commits.
> * …but “Common Sense” was in a bad way, and required substantial work.
> I’ve removed lots of inappropriate capitalisation and commas
> (checking against source scans) and fixed a bunch of typos.
> * A lot of the essays had an introduction and prefaces. I’ve left them
> in as subchapters, but I think a review of the overall structure and
> whether they’re wanted might be a good idea.
> * There’s some reasonable complex CSS in there to get tables styled
> correctly. At one point there’s side-by-side tables, so I chucked
> them in a flexbox container.
> * Cover art as mentioned earlier in the thread.
> * I’ve not read any Thomas Paine before, so to see him espousing a
> universal basic income funded by an inheritance tax was pretty cool.
> And the King at the time seemed definitely like a bit of a dick.
>

> I’m going to continue from where I left off with Helen Keller, and
> hopefully I’ll be able to get that done before the end of the month too.
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 13 Apr 2021, at 21:58, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> We also don't want to get too crazy with selectors in case build has
>> trouble simplifying them.
>>
>> You can do the inverse, so instead of
>>
>> #elem td:not(:last-child){
>> color: red;
>> }
>>
>> You could do
>>
>> #elem td{
>> color: red;
>> }
>>
>> #elem td:last-child{
>> color: initial;
>> }
>>
>> On 4/13/21 2:12 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
>>> cssselect isn’t convinced by my fun selectors 🙁
>>> #agrarian-justice table:first-of-type td:not(:last-child)
>>> #agrarian-justice table:first-of-type > tfoot td:not(:empty)
>>> Going to have to find a way to rewrite them, shouldn’t be too
>>> difficult though.

>>> --
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a7c38a0-1f72-c907-1495-f9d400e94c06%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4a7c38a0-1f72-c907-1495-f9d400e94c06%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/217BC959-89CC-418B-864F-7134171C896C%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/217BC959-89CC-418B-864F-7134171C896C%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 20, 2021, 3:24:18 PM4/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
Fixed, thanks for the heads up.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/74d4452b-ce4a-a0dd-dd91-914d031eb3e3%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

Apr 20, 2021, 3:25:55 PM4/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
I just did that in Ben Hur—are you going to do a mass update of the corpus, or do you need me to submit a PR?

And I hope to get this tonight, Robin, sorry for the delay!

Alex Cabal

Apr 20, 2021, 3:27:20 PM4/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can do a PR. I'll do a mass update but later, and I'm not sure if
I'll get them all because rdquo is so common elsewhere

Alex Cabal

Apr 20, 2021, 3:36:30 PM4/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Actually never mind, I just went ahead and fixed it in Ben Hur

David Grigg

Apr 20, 2021, 7:45:24 PM4/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
There are a number of tables in The Rights of Man where I didn’t like the way rquot worked as a ditto mark and so ai replaced those with the repeated words (eg “thousand”) on every line. My argument would be that (1) it’s easier to read; and (2) if the table has to break over a page, you don’t have to turn back to the previous page to see what is being “dittoed”. Is there any merit in that argument, or do you want me to go back and restore the ditto marks?

Vince

Apr 21, 2021, 1:10:35 AM4/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
All right, Robin, I opened a few minor issues, but a great job as always!

Robin Whittleton

Apr 21, 2021, 3:49:51 PM4/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks!

Alex: the one remaining issue highlighted by Vince is the duplication of some of the rules, specifically around tabular numbers. In this case, I’d typically try to keep the custom selectors in some sort of section order, even if it means duplication of rules. But would you like to make a call here?

-Robin

Alex Cabal

Apr 22, 2021, 2:40:45 PM4/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think we want to avoid duplication, and in this case it's not going to
affect readability much. In any case I think most people figure out CSS
by using an inspector as anything beyond basic complexity becomes tough
to reason about pretty fast.

On 4/21/21 2:49 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Alex: the one remaining issue highlighted by Vince is the duplication of
> some of the rules, specifically around tabular numbers. In this case,
> I’d typically try to keep the custom selectors in some sort of section
> order, even if it means duplication of rules. But would you like to make
> a call here?
>
> https://github.com/robinwhittleton/thomas-paine_essays/blob/main/src/epub/css/local.css
> <https://github.com/robinwhittleton/thomas-paine_essays/blob/main/src/epub/css/local.css>
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 21 Apr 2021, at 07:10, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> All right, Robin, I opened a few minor issues, but a great job as always!
>>

>>> On Apr 20, 2021, at 2:25 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I just did that in Ben Hur—are you going to do a mass update of the
>>> corpus, or do you need me to submit a PR?
>>>
>>> And I hope to get this tonight, Robin, sorry for the delay!

>> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/778FF623-AC4B-406B-8F6C-2BCC54FD8296%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/778FF623-AC4B-406B-8F6C-2BCC54FD8296%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 22, 2021, 4:15:08 PM4/22/21
to Standard Ebooks, Alex Cabal
OK! Pushed an deduplication update for that.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/741b206e-40bf-b775-c7c8-3ff46e498bad%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Apr 22, 2021, 5:40:35 PM4/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, looks good and I've gone ahead and released it. Great work on some
very hairy tables!