Anne of Green Gables

devon....@shopify.com

Jul 27, 2017, 11:17:54 AM7/27/17
to Standard Ebooks
https://github.com/meunierd/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-green-gables

I'm up to step 16 of the guide right now and I figured it was a good time to get some eyes on it just to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Feedback is much appreciated!

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2017, 1:19:31 PM7/27/17
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Hi there, looks like a good start.  Make sure to do `git pull` on the toolset and review the new install instructions in the readme, as much has changed since you started production.

I see there are some <pre> tags from the PG transcription that have to be replaced.  Usually those are better off as <blockquote> with poetry or verse styling if appropriate.

Run the `lint` tool in the toolset and it'll output some more things for you to correct.  Note that since you started, we've updated some of the template files like core.css and LICENSE.md, you can just copy those into your repo from ./tools/templates

We've also lowercased UTF-8 but that should be a simple one-ff project-wide find-and-replace on your end.

Let me know when you've ready to do cover art research!

On 7/27/17 10:17 AM, devon....@shopify.com wrote:
https://github.com/meunierd/l-m-montgomery_anne-of-green-gables

I'm up to step 16 of the guide right now and I figured it was a good time to get some eyes on it just to make sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree. Feedback is much appreciated!

Devon Meunier

Jul 16, 2019, 3:14:14 PM7/16/19
to Standard Ebooks
I'm dusting this off this production after (looks at the calendar) two years!

At the time I'd run into a wall looking for cover art, and then I had a child so the time for anything like this evaporated.

Anyways, I've run `se lint .` against the project and I've cleared up most of it. While I'm chipping away at the more stubborn ones, I was wondering what you thought of this for the cover image: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Millais_farmers-daughter.jpg

On Thursday, 27 July 2017 13:19:31 UTC-4, Alex Cabal wrote:

[...]

Vaish S

Jul 16, 2019, 3:24:18 PM7/16/19
to Standard Ebooks
That picture looks both too old and too sad to be Anne :). Are any of the Jodie Lee illustrations free for use? Those are perfect. But something more along those lines would be great. Especially for Green Gables, where Anne is, what, 12/13? Ideally a redhead in pigtails, wearing an overallish smock.

Devon Meunier

Jul 16, 2019, 3:43:18 PM7/16/19
to Standard Ebooks
To be fair, she's college age by the end of the book.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sofi01/15001726265 this is probably the closest I can find: Girl With Pigtails by Samuel Henry William Llewellyn

Vaish S

Jul 16, 2019, 4:12:59 PM7/16/19
to Standard Ebooks
Sixteen, right? That picture still feels too old to me :)

Alex Cabal

Jul 16, 2019, 4:56:17 PM7/16/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think either of those would probably work. However, you have to find
public domain proof of them before we can use them. See the art manual
for details: https://standardebooks.org/contribute/art

A lot has changed in 2 years. Make sure you install the SE tools using
pip and that you're using the latest version of the tools, 1.0.17.

You'll need to pull new template files too, and adjust content.opf to
conform to epub 3.2. There's an email on the mailing list from me, sent
a few months ago, that describes what's needed in the change of epub
versions.

Also ensure you have the latest version of epubcheck (not necessarily
the one in your package manager) and that `se build --check` passes.

If everything is in order please send me a link to your Github repo
again as I've definitely lost it. Thanks!
>> <https://groups.google.com/group/standardebooks>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bffa2bc5-a947-434e-9a44-644ad18784b6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Devon Meunier

Jul 22, 2019, 12:59:17 PM7/22/19
to Standard Ebooks
I've got epubcheck and se lint passing, and what I believe to be a public domain cover. The only issue I'm having is that the titlepage doesn't seem to build correctly on my macbook. I have the relevant fonts installed, so perhaps it's a limitation of inkscape on mac. I've pushed up all my changes.

Alex Cabal

Jul 22, 2019, 1:00:31 PM7/22/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Did you clear the cover art with us before committing it, per the step
by step instructions?
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bffa2bc5-a947-434e-9a44-644ad18784b6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bffa2bc5-a947-434e-9a44-644ad18784b6%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> >>             For more options, visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/optout <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>
> >>             <https://groups.google.com/d/optout
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>>.
> >
> > --
> send
> > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90afc792-38e6-4e6a-88c7-bf014b0bf999%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90afc792-38e6-4e6a-88c7-bf014b0bf999%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Devon Meunier

Jul 22, 2019, 1:07:44 PM7/22/19
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

Jul 22, 2019, 1:11:26 PM7/22/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, you're going to have to find PD proof for that one. See our art
manual for instructions (starting at the "Cover image artwork rules"
header):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre-Auguste_Renoir#/media/File:Pierre-Auguste_Renoir,_1880,_Portrait_of_Mademoiselle_Ir%C3%A8ne_Cahen_d'Anvers,_Sammlung_E.G._B%C3%BChrle.jpg
> >     > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:> <javascript:>>.
> > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90afc792-38e6-4e6a-88c7-bf014b0bf999%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90afc792-38e6-4e6a-88c7-bf014b0bf999%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90afc792-38e6-4e6a-88c7-bf014b0bf999%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90afc792-38e6-4e6a-88c7-bf014b0bf999%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e30d669b-d0a4-402c-a5c7-47eef8b8fcef%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e30d669b-d0a4-402c-a5c7-47eef8b8fcef%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Jul 22, 2019, 1:11:41 PM7/22/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Oops, here's the link: https://standardebooks.org/contribute/art

On 7/22/19 12:07 PM, Devon Meunier wrote:
> >     > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:> <javascript:>>.
> > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90afc792-38e6-4e6a-88c7-bf014b0bf999%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e30d669b-d0a4-402c-a5c7-47eef8b8fcef%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e30d669b-d0a4-402c-a5c7-47eef8b8fcef%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Devon Meunier

Jul 22, 2019, 2:14:07 PM7/22/19
to Standard Ebooks
>     >     > <mailto:standardebooks+unsub...@googlegroups.com
>     <javascript:> <javascript:>>.
>     >     > To view this discussion on the web visit
>     >     >
>     >
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>
>
>     >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>>
>
>     >
>     >     >
>     >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>
>     >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
>
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>     > Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
>     > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>     send
>     > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
>     > <mailto:standardebooks+unsub...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.

Devon Meunier

Jul 22, 2019, 2:54:39 PM7/22/19
to Standard Ebooks
Apologies for the double post but I might want to reserve that first image for the second book in favour of this one with a younger girl

Alex Cabal

Jul 22, 2019, 8:34:13 PM7/22/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK perfect, thanks. You can go ahead and commit that, build the cover
and titlepage, and let me know when you've completed the cover to cover
proofread and have everything ready for review.
> >     >     > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b9f6d85b-a602-4cb9-87df-9e769b93c304%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b9f6d85b-a602-4cb9-87df-9e769b93c304%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Dave Halliday

Jul 25, 2019, 3:08:12 PM7/25/19
to Standard Ebooks
Devon,

I spent a little bit of time looking at Anne of Green Gables because I'd assumed you'd abandonned it. Here are a couple more CC0 paintings that I came across that reminded me of Prince Edward Island that might be appropriate for one of the books. I especially like the first one because it has a lobster in it. :-)

Devon Meunier

Aug 13, 2019, 1:28:57 PM8/13/19
to Standard Ebooks
Thank you, Dave! I might not use it for this one but perhaps for later Avonlea books!

Alex,

Proofreading is coming along and while a lot of the changes I've pushed up are straightforward, I'd be curious as to your thoughts on L. M. Montgomery's use of semicolons. For example:

> Marilla said nothing to Matthew about the affair that evening; but when Anne proved still refractory the next morning an explanation had to be made to account for her absence from the breakfast table.

You'll also see things like:

> No; you don’t want your room cluttered up with flowers.

In both cases I'd want commas, that said I checked a more recent edition and the semicolons are still there.

A less sticky one: Sunday-school is hyphenated, should that be rendered "Sunday school"?

Alex Cabal

Aug 13, 2019, 1:30:37 PM8/13/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Don't change that kind of thing, that is prose style, not something we
want to mess with. Did you make any other changes like that?

You can leave Sunday-school as is. In general leave hyphens as-is unless
a tool changes them or they're in that specific list of ones to change
in the step by step guide.

On 8/13/19 12:28 PM, Devon Meunier wrote:
> Thank you, Dave! I might not use it for this one but perhaps for later
> Avonlea books!
>
> Alex,
>
> Proofreading is coming along and while a lot of the changes I've pushed
> up are straightforward, I'd be curious as to your thoughts on L. M.
> Montgomery's use of semicolons. For example:
>
>> Marilla said nothing to Matthew about the affair that evening; but
> when Anne proved still refractory the next morning an explanation had to
> be made to account for her absence from the breakfast table.
>
> You'll also see things like:
>
>> No; you don’t want your room cluttered up with flowers.
>
> In both cases I'd want commas, that said I checked a more recent edition
> and the semicolons are still there.
>
> A less sticky one: Sunday-school is hyphenated, should that be rendered
> "Sunday school"?
>
> On Thursday, 25 July 2019 15:08:12 UTC-4, Dave Halliday wrote:
>
> Devon,
>
> I spent a little bit of time looking at Anne of Green Gables because
> I'd assumed you'd abandonned it. Here are a couple more CC0
> paintings that I came across that reminded me of Prince Edward
> Island that might be appropriate for one of the books. I especially
> like the first one because it has a lobster in it. :-)
>
> http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1943.660
> <http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1943.660>
>
> http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1938.333
> <http://www.clevelandart.org/art/1938.333>
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave
>

> On Monday, 22 July 2019 14:54:39 UTC-4, Devon Meunier wrote:
>
> Apologies for the double post but I might want to reserve that
> first image for the second book in favour of this one with a
> younger girl
>
> https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-A-3680
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rijksmuseum.nl%2Fen%2Fcollection%2FSK-A-3680&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNF6wmyFZ8-a0QTtD8ImqgHV-X9rpQ>
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Devon Meunier

Aug 13, 2019, 2:03:37 PM8/13/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The only punctuation change I made was from cherry-tree to cherry tree.

And the following archaic spellings:

ruther -> rather
fulness -> fullness
eying -> eyeing

And concatenating
worth while -> worthwhile
some one -> someone

Any other changes I've made were just correcting transcription errors from PG that I've verified against scans.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/72bd007c-ce27-3055-0935-69a88fe6242a%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Aug 13, 2019, 5:48:00 PM8/13/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Was "ruther" a dialect, or a transcription typo? I don't think I've ever
seen that as an alternate spelling per se. If it was a dialect then we
would want to keep that.
> <mailto:standar...@googlegroups.com>.
> >                 >     >     >>             To post to this group, send
> >                 email to
> >                 >     >     >>
> standar...@googlegroups.com <mailto:standar...@googlegroups.com>.
> standar...@googlegroups.com <mailto:standar...@googlegroups.com>
> >                 <javascript:>
> >                 >     >     >
> >
>  <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >                 >     <javascript:> <javascript:>>.
> >                 >     >     > To view this discussion on the web visit
> >                 >     >     >
> >                 >     >
> >                 >
> >
>  https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>
> >
> >                 >
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>>
> >
> >                 >
> >                 >     >
> >                 >     <https://groups.goo
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>
> >
> > --
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com
> >
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/72bd007c-ce27-3055-0935-69a88fe6242a%40standardebooks.org.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8FnujFFMb1tZ_wRWrKy4v7uLfQK5uxM6tNMX0WBXaqYA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8FnujFFMb1tZ_wRWrKy4v7uLfQK5uxM6tNMX0WBXaqYA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Devon Meunier

Aug 13, 2019, 5:52:32 PM8/13/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OED says dialect I'll revert that one

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ed8f56a8-dc45-9975-d3c6-f2258a123a72%40standardebooks.org.

devon....@shopify.com

Sep 4, 2019, 12:37:01 PM9/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
Just want to confirm this one:

> Marilla, Prissy Andrews is going to recite 'Curfew Must Not Ring Tonight.'

Would this be an instance of replacing the title quotes with italics?

>     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>     >                 >     <javascript:> <javascript:>>.
>     >                 >     >     > To view this discussion on the web visit
>     >                 >     >     >
>     >                 >     >
>     >                 >
>     >
>      https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com
>     >
>      <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>
>     >
>     >                 >
>     >
>      <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com
>     >
>      <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>>
>     >
>     >                 >
>     >                 >     >
>     >                 >     <https://groups.goo
>     >
>      <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/afda6d1f-b53d-4882-a4f0-05221a11b020%40googlegroups.com>
>     >
>     > --
>     > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>     > Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
>     > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send

>     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>     > To view this discussion on the web visit
>     >
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com
>     >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>

>     --

>     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/72bd007c-ce27-3055-0935-69a88fe6242a%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Sep 4, 2019, 4:31:52 PM9/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It depends on what it is. If it's a short song or poem, then quotes
stay. If it's a longer work like a novel, then italics. See
https://standardebooks.org/contribute/typography#names-and-titles
> [...]
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>
> >     > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>>.
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9e8270c5-612a-43fb-b3b2-62478c0a3425%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >

> >     --
> email to
> >     standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit

Devon Meunier

Oct 25, 2019, 12:30:49 PM10/25/19
to Standard Ebooks
I've finally finished my proofread! The only assistance I need now is how to style the block quotes. In the original scans they're all indented and in a different typeface.
> [...]
>         > <mailto:standardebooks+unsub...@googlegroups.com
>         <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>         > To view this discussion on the web visit
>         >
>         https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8FnujFFMb1tZ_wRWrKy4v7uLfQK5uxM6tNMX0WBXaqYA%40mail.gmail.com
>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8FnujFFMb1tZ_wRWrKy4v7uLfQK5uxM6tNMX0WBXaqYA%40mail.gmail.com>
>         >
>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8FnujFFMb1tZ_wRWrKy4v7uLfQK5uxM6tNMX0WBXaqYA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>         <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8FnujFFMb1tZ_wRWrKy4v7uLfQK5uxM6tNMX0WBXaqYA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

>         --
>         To view this discussion on the web visit

Michael Atkinson

Oct 25, 2019, 1:57:19 PM10/25/19
to Standard Ebooks
Looks like the typeface is just smaller in the scans, Gutenberg has them in italics and the Hathi trust scans don't so the actual formatting is just a matter of house style and so using the standardebook defaults should be fine.

Placing the text inside <blockquote> tags with epub:type="z3998:letter", epub:type="z3998:verse" etc and where you use those then include the css from https://standardebooks.org/contribute/semantics depending on what you use.

Hope this helps

Michael

PS: I note that the page scans are in colophon.xhtml but not content.opf - you'll want to link to them there as well as an extra dc:source.

Devon Meunier

Oct 30, 2019, 12:45:21 PM10/30/19
to Standard Ebooks
Okay I've updated the content.opf and CSS as appropriate and pushed my changes. I think it's done!

Alex Cabal

Oct 30, 2019, 5:24:34 PM10/30/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you please run se lint and fix those errors? Please re-generate the
titlepage using se create-draft, so that it takes care of spacing and
centering for you. Remember to run se build-images when you're done. Thanks!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Devon Meunier

Oct 30, 2019, 7:11:52 PM10/30/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Done and pushed!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912f6bc8-056c-3647-06d9-31a71146bfef%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Oct 31, 2019, 5:01:58 PM10/31/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, everything looks good! Very solid first production. The only minor
note I have is that next time, don't run `se prepare-release` before
submitting it, as that's done after the review step. I've gone ahead and
released it--great work and let me know if you'd like to start on
something more complicated!
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912f6bc8-056c-3647-06d9-31a71146bfef%40standardebooks.org.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8a%2B7t_HtaSHaky%3Dmzm1fXknjDLYuvvLrHzR_3DPJS19Q%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8a%2B7t_HtaSHaky%3Dmzm1fXknjDLYuvvLrHzR_3DPJS19Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Devon Meunier

Nov 4, 2019, 3:44:38 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
Gotcha, I must have ran that accidentally!

I'd be interested in picking up The Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. du Bois. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/408/408-h/408-h.htm I'd be curious as to how to best go about rendering the musical notation that begins every chapter.
>     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>      > To view this discussion on the web visit
>      >
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com
>
>      >
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
>     --
>     To view this discussion on the web visit
>     https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912f6bc8-056c-3647-06d9-31a71146bfef%40standardebooks.org.

Robin Whittleton

Nov 4, 2019, 4:07:35 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Given the lack of music markup in the web there are two options: the first would be tracing the bit maps to SVGs inside something like Inkscape (read back through the archives for instructions), but the possibly better option would be to find some way of creating music notation directly to SVG. I haven’t tried it, but a quick search threw up http://www.vexflow.com/ which looks promising.

On 4 Nov 2019, at 21:44, Devon Meunier <devon....@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bf702f20-7f71-43ab-9d44-73942798fd5d%40googlegroups.com.

Michael Atkinson

Nov 4, 2019, 4:08:56 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
I'm not seeing unusual notation on PG but am seeing an epigraph which is discussed on the semantics page in the section on chapter headings.

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/semantics

Is there strange notation in the page scans?

Michael

Robin Whittleton

Nov 4, 2019, 4:12:25 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
The source scans have music notation for the song lyrics above:

David Grigg

Alex Cabal

Nov 4, 2019, 4:55:52 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This is a good question to consider because I've just run in to the same
problem with The Way of All Flesh, which has a handful of lines of music.

I was just tracing to SVG, but if there's free software out there that
can generate a score, maybe we should standardize on that process and
write it down in the manual.

On 11/4/19 3:44 PM, David Grigg wrote:
> I would suggest using the free notation software MuseScore
> (https://musescore.org/en) . I'm pretty sure I used this to make a music
> score in one of my SE productions but now can't remember which one.
>
> On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 08:12:25 UTC+11, robin wrote:
>
> The source scans have music notation for the song lyrics above:
>

>> On 4 Nov 2019, at 22:08, Michael Atkinson
>> <mic...@michaelatkinson.eu <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not seeing unusual notation on PG but am seeing an epigraph
>> which is discussed on the semantics page in the section on chapter
>> headings.
>>
>> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/semantics
>> <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/semantics>
>>
>> Is there strange notation in the page scans?
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/378dc77f-329a-4be9-91c0-1c03800966aa%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/378dc77f-329a-4be9-91c0-1c03800966aa%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

Nov 4, 2019, 5:02:45 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
I found it: it was chapter 25 (XXV) of The Wonderful Visit by H. G. Wells. I used MuseScore to make the little tune. I can't now recall if it exported an SVG directly, or whether I converted from a PDF export.

Alex Cabal

Nov 4, 2019, 5:04:08 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yup looks like Musescore is in the Ubuntu repos, and it can export to
SVG. So, we should use that to recreate the scores, and export to SVG
for use in books. In the case of Souls of Black Folk you would put it in
a <figure> element within the <header> element of the chapter. (You'll
already have a <header> because there's an epigraph, see the semantics
manual for epigraphs in chapter headers.)

David Grigg

Nov 4, 2019, 5:04:51 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
One benefit is you get to hear what the music sounds like!

Michael Atkinson

Nov 4, 2019, 5:14:58 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
We should probably save the raw musicxml files which are involved somewhere as well.

https://www.musicxml.com/

I'm not sure how clean the files from musescore are?

Michael

David Grigg

Nov 4, 2019, 5:23:29 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
If anyone wants any help with using MuseScore, or with music notation, I'm very familiar with it because I used to be in a choir until recently, and used MuseScore to help with practice.

Regards,

David

Alex Cabal

Nov 4, 2019, 6:21:45 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've just done two short scores for the Way of All Flesh. MuseScore
is some very solid software. I think this is how we should standardize:

- Use MuseScore to create musical scores instead of tracing a bitmap to SVG.

- Export the source MuseScore files as illustration-n.xml in MusicXML
format, in ./images/. The file will end in `.xml`. This format can be
loaded by MuseScore too, so we get a program-agnostic storage format for
future editing.

- Export the MuseScore file as SVG in ./src/epub/images/. Once it's
exported, you can use Inkscape to cut out any unnecessary lines or to
make any final tweaks so that we match the source.

- It looks like the SVG will need some massaging to pass lint. You
can use https://github.com/Klowner/inkscape-applytransforms to remove
transforms from MuseScore SVGs. (First, select all and do Path -> Object
to Path, then Extensions -> Modify Path -> Apply transforms)

- You'll have to open the final SVG in a text editor to remove the
<desc> element.

I think that covers it. What do you all think?

Alex Cabal

Nov 4, 2019, 6:22:16 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you start a new thread for this so we're not looking at the Anne of
Green Gables subject line? Thanks

On 11/4/19 2:44 PM, Devon Meunier wrote:
> Gotcha, I must have ran that accidentally!
>
> I'd be interested in picking up The Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. du
> Bois. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/408/408-h/408-h.htm I'd be curious
> as to how to best go about rendering the musical notation that begins
> every chapter.
>
> On Thursday, 31 October 2019 17:01:58 UTC-4, Alex Cabal wrote:
>
> OK, everything looks good! Very solid first production. The only minor
> note I have is that next time, don't run `se prepare-release` before
> submitting it, as that's done after the review step. I've gone ahead
> and
> released it--great work and let me know if you'd like to start on
> something more complicated!
>
> On 10/30/19 6:11 PM, 'Devon Meunier' via Standard Ebooks wrote:
> > Done and pushed!
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 5:24 PM Alex Cabal
> <al...@standardebooks.org <javascript:>
> >      > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>>
> >      > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> >     --
>
> >     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
> email to
> > standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912f6bc8-056c-3647-06d9-31a71146bfef%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/912f6bc8-056c-3647-06d9-31a71146bfef%40standardebooks.org>.
>

> > --
> send
> > an email to standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8a%2B7t_HtaSHaky%3Dmzm1fXknjDLYuvvLrHzR_3DPJS19Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABnhQv8a%2B7t_HtaSHaky%3Dmzm1fXknjDLYuvvLrHzR_3DPJS19Q%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bf702f20-7f71-43ab-9d44-73942798fd5d%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bf702f20-7f71-43ab-9d44-73942798fd5d%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Nov 4, 2019, 6:22:55 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Also send me your Github repo once you've gotten started. Thanks!

> [...]
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>>
> >      > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/752ecd19-4f59-4244-a410-f05a862653f5%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> >     --
>
> >     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
> email to
> > standar...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>
> >     <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com
> <javascript:>>.
> >     To view this discussion on the web visit

David Grigg

Nov 4, 2019, 8:20:22 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good. I'll go back and do the same for the little tune in The Wonderful Visit.

David Grigg

Nov 4, 2019, 11:21:54 PM11/4/19
to Standard Ebooks
I hit this lint error following your instructions:

Error: illustration-1.mxl Problem decoding file as utf-8

If I open the .mxl file it embeds an xml file, which appears to me to be utf-8, so I'm not sure what the issue is other than lint not expecting this format.

Alex Cabal

Nov 4, 2019, 11:35:24 PM11/4/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You should save it as an xml file. My version of Musescore saves
MusicXML files as regular XML. You have to export, not save as.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2cea45af-8377-4d4a-87d8-72e2851eaeaf%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2cea45af-8377-4d4a-87d8-72e2851eaeaf%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

Nov 5, 2019, 12:25:33 AM11/5/19
to Standard Ebooks
OK, that did it. Changes to h-g-wells_the-wonderful-visit pushed.

Alex Cabal

Nov 5, 2019, 12:54:54 PM11/5/19
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great. In the future make sure the file extension is XML not MXL
because otherwise MuseScore barfs when it tries to open it.