[Next Project] The Souls of Black Folk by W. E. B. Du Bois

maticstric

Sep 19, 2020, 5:44:06 PM9/19/20
to Standard Ebooks
PG: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/408

The only difficult thing I see would be the music notation after each epigraph and the occasional times when they appear in the chapters (here's a pretty long one: https://archive.org/details/soulsblackfolke02boisgoog/page/n284/mode/1up). There's nothing in the manual but I was looking through the discussions a bit and it seems this was the solution you all came to: https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/Wqbxrmy_ju0/m/Q7zyXuwIAgAJ

If anything has changed since then, let me know. If not, I'll just follow these instructions as best as I can.

David Grigg

Sep 19, 2020, 7:26:34 PM9/19/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm happy to help if you need it. I'm familiar with Muse Score and I've done a lot of music notation as part of being in a choir.

maticstric

Sep 19, 2020, 8:19:05 PM9/19/20
to Standard Ebooks
Will do! I'll probably try to start it tomorrow so I'll see how it goes.

Alex Cabal

Sep 20, 2020, 11:59:23 AM9/20/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK!

maticstric

Sep 20, 2020, 9:23:26 PM9/20/20
to Standard Ebooks
Before I keep going I just want to make sure my first score is correct. It's here in the scans: https://archive.org/details/soulsblackfolke00boisgoog/page/n17/mode/1up

I attached the xml and svg files. Note that if you open the xml in musescore it looks slightly different than it should. For example, I removed the beam between the first two notes of the last measure but they reappear. And if I use that xml, instead of the mscz file, to export to svg the beam is still there which is worrying.

My main concern is the unnecessary whitespace between the notes. I know nothing about musical notation so I don't know what the "right" amount of whitespace is but the scans in the book have a lot less of it. I also don't know if I should keep the final double bar line. It's not present in the scans but I'm not sure how to remove it in musescore or even if I should.
On Saturday, September 19, 2020 at 4:26:34 PM UTC-7 david...@gmail.com wrote:
illustration-1.xml
illustration-1.svg

Alex Cabal

Sep 20, 2020, 9:27:23 PM9/20/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
David can you take charge on this?
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/088a20d0-677b-4209-8e7a-f7521438142dn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/611a90d9-eef6-4f2a-b95a-eacda5e8aed6n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/611a90d9-eef6-4f2a-b95a-eacda5e8aed6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

Sep 20, 2020, 10:20:07 PM9/20/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure.

David Grigg

Sep 20, 2020, 10:37:19 PM9/20/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Can you share the .mscz file with me, please?

maticstric

Sep 20, 2020, 10:38:13 PM9/20/20
to Standard Ebooks
Yep. Attached here.
illustration-1.mscz

David Grigg

Sep 20, 2020, 10:43:09 PM9/20/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I’ll be able to look at this properly tomorrow. But musically, I think there should be a bar line at the end of the line of music (same for second line of music on page 13 of the scans. It’s not like it’s a musical fragment, we’ve used up all the notes to fill a bar. If we want to match the LOOK of what is in the scans then I guess we could edit the SVG to remove what MuseScore puts in. But SEMANTICALLY I think there should be a closing bar line.

I’ll have a look at the spacing issue tomorrow. I think it’s just a setting in MuseScore.

David Grigg

Sep 22, 2020, 7:40:04 AM9/22/20
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry not to have come back quicker. I've done some research and I'm pretty sure that we'll be able to change settings in MuseScore to give you the result you want, but I'm out of time today. I think you can go ahead putting all the scores in, and then we can adjust the spacing and the visibility of the final bar lines.

I'll get back to you tomorrow with a strategy.

Alex Cabal

Sep 22, 2020, 9:44:58 AM9/22/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget that we're outputting SVGs and you can just edit the final
SVG in Inkscape or something. If it's too complicated in Musescore, you
can move the vector by hand in Inkscape instead.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3b3198ee-d648-45a4-bed1-a8fa3df2aa34n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3b3198ee-d648-45a4-bed1-a8fa3df2aa34n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

Sep 22, 2020, 11:20:50 AM9/22/20
to Standard Ebooks
Ok David, I'll start inputing them all in. What about the fact that exporting to xml seemingly undoes the beam removal? Since we would include the xml in the images folder it would be weird if opening the xml in musescore would give you a different image than the svg.

maticstric

Sep 22, 2020, 3:23:32 PM9/22/20
to Standard Ebooks

There's two ways we could crop it. The first on is the more obvious one but I also like the second one because it shows two of the kids with an American flag (the bottom flag will probably be covered by the title but the top one should be visible).
cover1.jpg
cover2.jpg

There's also this painting which could work but I haven't found pd proof yet: https://collections.lacma.org/node/184714

David Grigg

Sep 22, 2020, 8:45:41 PM9/22/20
to Standard Ebooks
OK, here we go. First thing: hiding the trailing bar line.

In MuseScore, click on the final bar line to select it. From the View menu, choose Inspector. There's a checkbox for 'Visible'. Check it off. Done.

As for the spacing between notes, the simplest thing to do is to restrict the width of the 'page'. Go to Format / Page Settings and adjust the margins. I set the left and right margins to 40 mm. That closed up everything nicely.

Attached are modified SVG and MuseScore files

illustration-1a-1.svg
illustration-1a.mscz

maticstric

Sep 22, 2020, 11:57:57 PM9/22/20
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks a ton David! Looks great.

One last thing is what I mentioned about xml. If you try to export the .mscz file as xml, and then open the xml file in MuseScore, there will be a beam between the first and second notes in the last measure. This is because I originally had to remove it manually (with "Beam Properties" in the pallet). By default, the beam is there. But even after I remove it, if I export as xml and open the xml file, the beam will be there.

This probably means that the xml format in MuseScore doesn't keep track of the beam properties. It does say that the format is outdated when you try to export it. Should we think about using a different file format? It only matters since we do include the xml files in the images folder (https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/Wqbxrmy_ju0/m/Q7zyXuwIAgAJ). Obviously the good thing about xml is that it's not specific to MuseScore but we seem to be losing features. Thoughts Alex?

maticstric

Sep 24, 2020, 9:07:59 PM9/24/20
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, just in case it got buried in the messages, here's a possible cover: https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/Tdn6LQan-5E/m/NlKnfvCTBQAJ

What do you think?

Alex Cabal

Sep 25, 2020, 11:49:20 AM9/25/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
In the left crop, I don't know if the theme painting matches the serious
subject matter of the work. In the right crop, the children will be
obscured by the title box and the woman's arm looks really weird without
the context of the left side of the image.

What about https://www.si.edu/object/lord-my-shepherd:saam_1979.5.13
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/870b8bc4-b7f5-43d5-9493-03b622971ff5n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/870b8bc4-b7f5-43d5-9493-03b622971ff5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Sep 25, 2020, 11:51:10 AM9/25/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com

maticstric

Sep 25, 2020, 12:48:29 PM9/25/20
to Standard Ebooks
I could have sworn we used A Visit from the Old Mistress somewhere in the corpus before but, looking through it, I guess we haven't. I'll use that one.

Alex Cabal

Mar 14, 2021, 5:12:50 PM3/14/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

maticstric

Mar 14, 2021, 6:06:40 PM3/14/21
to Standard Ebooks
Feel free to use it. I do plan on eventually coming back to the project but for now it is abandoned. If I come back to it I'll restart.

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Mar 23, 2021, 12:25:35 PM3/23/21
to Standard Ebooks

Looking at the Wanted list, I’d be happy to do The Souls of Black Folk. I’ve used MuseCore a bit in the past, and everything else looks fairly straightforward.

Matricstric, I see that you started on it last fall, but it sounds like you thought it might be best to start again from scratch. Are you okay with me giving it a go?

If you’d rather do Du Bois yourself, I can work on the Emma Goldman.

maticstric

Mar 23, 2021, 12:32:20 PM3/23/21
to Standard Ebooks
Feel free! I have to say I'm not a big fan of MuseScore so I'd be happy for someone else to do it. It would be a great addition to the corpus.

Matt Chan

Mar 23, 2021, 12:36:27 PM3/23/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I also have a lot of experience with using Lilypond to typeset music score; imo it's much better in appearance than MuseScore, let me know if you'd like me to also help out :)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c66e2fdf-dd80-4faf-b560-028bbe0664e9n%40googlegroups.com.

Asher Smith

Mar 23, 2021, 1:09:13 PM3/23/21
to Standard Ebooks
For what it's worth, I put together a draft of a guide for making music notation here: https://github.com/ACBSmith/manual/blob/common_issues/illustrations-music.rst

You may find this helpful, especially the notes about preparing the output of MuseScore for inclusion.

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Mar 23, 2021, 1:25:32 PM3/23/21
to Standard Ebooks

Thanks, Matic.
And thanks Matt and Asher! I'll take a look at these.

Alex, are you okay with me taking this on? If so, I'll post a new repo.

Alex Cabal

Mar 23, 2021, 1:50:55 PM3/23/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, go ahead. For now let's stick to Musescore for music so that our
music SVGs look consistent.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dc04394d-af44-4823-84f1-d252169518f1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dc04394d-af44-4823-84f1-d252169518f1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c66e2fdf-dd80-4faf-b560-028bbe0664e9n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c66e2fdf-dd80-4faf-b560-028bbe0664e9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Mar 23, 2021, 1:54:48 PM3/23/21
to Standard Ebooks

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Apr 15, 2021, 9:05:40 PM4/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
I have a possible cover for The Souls of Black Folk.

thumbnail_c12ced4b218b28d3930600c41f7a09ccae0ac4a8_EBOK_portrait.jpg

I’d be happy to make a full-throated case for it, but here’s the short version.

The controlling metaphor of the book is the concept of “the Veil”—a visual manifestation of the color-line that obstructs black people from fully participating in American life and prevents the dominant white culture from even perceiving the black experience.

Du Bois explicitly references the Veil more than forty times throughout the book, and I feel like this image evokes the idea of something beautiful and admirable that is inexplicably blocked and obstructed from view.

CC0 is here:

Would this work?

Alex Cabal

Apr 18, 2021, 9:23:01 PM4/18/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I think that works. Good lateral thinking.

On 4/15/21 8:05 PM, Zoey Leigh Peterson wrote:
> I have a possible cover for The Souls of Black Folk.
>
> thumbnail_c12ced4b218b28d3930600c41f7a09ccae0ac4a8_EBOK_portrait.jpg
>
> I’d be happy to make a full-throated case for it, but here’s the short
> version.
>
> The controlling metaphor of the book is the concept of “the Veil”—a
> visual manifestation of the color-line that obstructs black people from
> fully participating in American life and prevents the dominant white
> culture from even perceiving the black experience.
>
> Du Bois explicitly references the Veil more than forty times throughout
> the book, and I feel like this image evokes the idea of something
> beautiful and admirable that is inexplicably blocked and obstructed from
> view.
>
> CC0 is here:
> https://www.artic.edu/artworks/66042/trompe-l-oeil-still-life-with-a-flower-garland-and-a-curtain
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/66042/trompe-l-oeil-still-life-with-a-flower-garland-and-a-curtain>
>
> Would this work?
>
> On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 10:54:48 AM UTC-7 Zoey Leigh Peterson wrote:
>
> Okay, will do. New repo is here:
>
> https://github.com/zoeypeterson/w-e-b-du-bois_the-souls-of-black-folk <https://github.com/zoeypeterson/w-e-b-du-bois_the-souls-of-black-folk>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c66e2fdf-dd80-4faf-b560-028bbe0664e9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c66e2fdf-dd80-4faf-b560-028bbe0664e9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e6b64adf-bcfc-4028-9202-39ae52cf9c35n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e6b64adf-bcfc-4028-9202-39ae52cf9c35n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Jul 20, 2021, 1:31:02 PM7/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Zoey, how is this progressing?

On 4/15/21 8:05 PM, Zoey Leigh Peterson wrote:
> I have a possible cover for The Souls of Black Folk.
>
> thumbnail_c12ced4b218b28d3930600c41f7a09ccae0ac4a8_EBOK_portrait.jpg
>
> I’d be happy to make a full-throated case for it, but here’s the short
> version.
>
> The controlling metaphor of the book is the concept of “the Veil”—a
> visual manifestation of the color-line that obstructs black people from
> fully participating in American life and prevents the dominant white
> culture from even perceiving the black experience.
>
> Du Bois explicitly references the Veil more than forty times throughout
> the book, and I feel like this image evokes the idea of something
> beautiful and admirable that is inexplicably blocked and obstructed from
> view.
>
> CC0 is here:
> https://www.artic.edu/artworks/66042/trompe-l-oeil-still-life-with-a-flower-garland-and-a-curtain
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/66042/trompe-l-oeil-still-life-with-a-flower-garland-and-a-curtain>
>
> Would this work?
>
> On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 at 10:54:48 AM UTC-7 Zoey Leigh Peterson wrote:
>
> Okay, will do. New repo is here:
>
> https://github.com/zoeypeterson/w-e-b-du-bois_the-souls-of-black-folk <https://github.com/zoeypeterson/w-e-b-du-bois_the-souls-of-black-folk>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c66e2fdf-dd80-4faf-b560-028bbe0664e9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c66e2fdf-dd80-4faf-b560-028bbe0664e9n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/034c5170-0f24-47e1-a490-0741e55879bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e6b64adf-bcfc-4028-9202-39ae52cf9c35n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e6b64adf-bcfc-4028-9202-39ae52cf9c35n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Jul 20, 2021, 1:50:32 PM7/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
I got bogged down in the proofreading (so many capitalization quandaries), but I've finally finished proofing and am keying in the corrections. Other than that, I just need to clean up a few lint errors and it should be ready for review. Sorry to have taken so long.

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Sep 26, 2021, 5:49:22 PM9/26/21
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

Sep 26, 2021, 9:54:06 PM9/26/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

David Grigg

Sep 26, 2021, 9:57:42 PM9/26/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, might take me a day or so to get to it, though (podcast recording and editing the next two days).

David Grigg

Sep 28, 2021, 9:53:24 PM9/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, it all looks very good indeed to me. Great work on all those pieces of music, which look great.

Just a few very minor things I've logged as issues, one of which Alex needs to look at, a query on titlecasing of expressions like "A-Breaking" which lint and se titlecase want to turn into "a-Breaking" which just looks wrong to my eye.

Over to you, Alex.

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Sep 28, 2021, 10:11:15 PM9/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks so much, David. Once Alex weighs in the titlecase question, I'll take care of these.

David Grigg

Sep 28, 2021, 10:35:42 PM9/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry for the first spurious issue about miscurled quotes (which I closed). My text editor of choice, BBEdit, requires you to specify the target project of a multi-file search and it was still stuck on "Framley Parsonage"!

Zoey Leigh Peterson

Sep 30, 2021, 11:53:25 AM9/30/21
to Standard Ebooks
These issues have been fixed now. Thanks, David, for your eagle eye.

Alex Cabal

Sep 30, 2021, 1:01:02 PM9/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great work, thanks Zoey! I've gone ahead and released it.