Proposed production: Beatrix Potter animal tales

Robin Whittleton

Dec 29, 2021, 7:51:49 AM12/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
22 of the 23 books are in US PD and the last won’t arrive for a few years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter#Publications . Something we’d want? It wouldn’t be a difficult compilation, so I’d be happy to add it to the moderate list and leave it to someone else as their first compilation instead.

-Robin

Asher Smith

Dec 29, 2021, 5:56:09 PM12/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
Those all seem very illustration-heavy to me. Is that a problem?

Vince

Dec 29, 2021, 7:46:25 PM12/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
We don’t keep illustrations (for fiction), so no. :)

Asher Smith

Dec 29, 2021, 7:47:45 PM12/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
Let me rephrase: are Beatrix Potter books of sufficient value without their illustrations?

Vince

Dec 29, 2021, 7:49:34 PM12/29/21
to Standard Ebooks
Of course.

Alex Cabal

Dec 29, 2021, 11:18:30 PM12/29/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure I suppose, but aren't a few of those poetry books and not short
stories?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D71E9EB9-546F-48CC-81F8-FF9B4DC2A8F3%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D71E9EB9-546F-48CC-81F8-FF9B4DC2A8F3%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Dec 30, 2021, 4:12:56 AM12/30/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yep, so let’s leave out the two nursery rhymes books, leaving twenty stories stopping at Johnny Town-Mouse.

The most problematic of these are going to be the ones that directly reference the illustrations, e.g. “This is a man with a gun” in https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45265/45265-h/45265-h.htm .

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bacacc14-31e6-6fe0-f7a6-aa5bd4f17aa6%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Dec 30, 2021, 1:33:30 PM12/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Good cover find.

Thinking about this a little more, maybe these illustrations can be
categorized as 'essential' since often the text references the
illustrations directly. In your example, the whole thing wouldn't make
sense without the illustrations.

How many of these stories do you think would have essential images like
this?

On 12/30/21 3:12 AM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Yep, so let’s leave out the two nursery rhymes books, leaving twenty
> stories stopping at Johnny Town-Mouse.
>
> The most problematic of these are going to be the ones that directly
> reference the illustrations, e.g. “This is a man with a gun” in
> https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45265/45265-h/45265-h.htm
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/files/45265/45265-h/45265-h.htm> .
>
> Suggested cover art: /Rabbits/ by François Desportes, CC0 from
> Nationalmuseet:
> http://collection.nationalmuseum.se/eMP/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=collection&objectId=17800&viewType=detailView
> <http://collection.nationalmuseum.se/eMP/eMuseumPlus?service=ExternalInterface&module=collection&objectId=17800&viewType=detailView>
>

>> On 30 Dec 2021, at 05:18, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Sure I suppose, but aren't a few of those poetry books and not short
>> stories?
>>
>> On 12/29/21 6:51 AM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
>>> 22 of the 23 books are in US PD and the last won’t arrive for a few
>>> years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter#Publications
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter#Publications>
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter#Publications
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter#Publications>> .
>>> Something we’d want? It wouldn’t be a difficult compilation, so I’d
>>> be happy to add it to the moderate list and leave it to someone else
>>> as their first compilation instead.
>>> -Robin
>>> --
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bacacc14-31e6-6fe0-f7a6-aa5bd4f17aa6%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bacacc14-31e6-6fe0-f7a6-aa5bd4f17aa6%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/68538793-02D2-4A6E-9019-B6BDDB214078%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/68538793-02D2-4A6E-9019-B6BDDB214078%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Dec 30, 2021, 1:41:51 PM12/30/21
to Standard Ebooks
The two obvious ones (so far, I’m still assembling the texts) are The Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45265) and The Story of Miss Moppet (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14848). I’ll sort out a proper list once I’ve got them all in place.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1a8c7ae0-762b-698b-9273-320f01560858%40standardebooks.org.

Robin Whittleton

Dec 31, 2021, 9:01:43 AM12/31/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/beatrix-potter_short-fiction.

On the illustrations: Fierce Bad Rabbit and Miss Moppet definitely make no sense without the illustrations. But I’m now thinking that potentially we just want to include all the illustrations? Hitting a couple of illustrated stories in the middle of a compilation might feel a bit odd, it’s specifically a children’s book, the illustrations were done by the author, and the tales are as famous for the illustrations as for the stories themselves.

On another note, most of the books have a dedication, which in the scans is way before the actual start of the text. I’m leaning to stripping these, as they’re not adding much when right at the start of the story in a compilation. Thoughts? Here’s an example: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nc01.ark:/13960/t5t73h76d?urlappend=%3Bseq=6.

-Robin

François Grandjean

Dec 31, 2021, 12:11:41 PM12/31/21
to Standard Ebooks
To add my bit regarding the illustrations: some stories make sense without them but the illustrations add or clarify some details that's aren't in the text. That's the case with the "gentleman with sandy-coloured whiskers" in The Tale of Jemima Puddle-Duck: the illustrations make it clear from the beginning that he is in fact a fox but the text never really does. Young children probably won't pick up that fact from the text alone, and his identity gives a certain colour to interactions in that story.

I'm not sure it'll change much but modern editions place the dedications between the title page and the story—my son received a box set of all Beatrix Potter stories as a Christmas present.

Alex Cabal

Dec 31, 2021, 3:09:44 PM12/31/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I was thinking the same thing, we should probably just include all the
illustrations if we're going to include some of them. Francois makes a
good point re. some of them changing the story. So let's include all of
them.

The interesting technical question is: It looks like for at least some
of the books, the images that PG has include the yellow paper
background. Can we run them through Gimp/Photoshop to remove the yellow
background in favor of a transparent one? A straight color-to-alpha
won't work because that will wash out the actual watercolors. Instead we
want to just trim the background up to the image edges.

Re. dedications, let's leave them in. They can be part of the <header>
for each story.

On 12/31/21 8:01 AM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> OK: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/beatrix-potter_short-fiction
> <https://github.com/robinwhittleton/beatrix-potter_short-fiction>.
>
> On the illustrations: /Fierce Bad Rabbit/ and /Miss Moppet/ definitely
> make no sense without the illustrations. But I’m now thinking that
> potentially we just want to include all the illustrations? Hitting a
> couple of illustrated stories in the middle of a compilation might feel
> a bit odd, it’s specifically a children’s book, the illustrations were
> done by the author, and the tales are as famous for the illustrations as
> for the stories themselves.
>
> On another note, most of the books have a dedication, which in the scans
> is way before the actual start of the text. I’m leaning to stripping
> these, as they’re not adding much when right at the start of the story
> in a compilation. Thoughts? Here’s an example:
> https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nc01.ark:/13960/t5t73h76d?urlappend=%3Bseq=6
> <https://hdl.handle.net/2027/nc01.ark:/13960/t5t73h76d?urlappend=;seq=6>.
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 30 Dec 2021, at 19:41, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>
>> The two obvious ones (so far, I’m still assembling the texts) are The
>> Story of a Fierce Bad Rabbit (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45265
>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45265>) and The Story of Miss Moppet
>> (https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14848
>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/14848>). I’ll sort out a proper list
>> once I’ve got them all in place.
>>
>>> On 30 Dec 2021, at 19:33, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Good cover find.
>>>
>>> Thinking about this a little more, maybe these illustrations can be
>>> categorized as 'essential' since often the text references the
>>> illustrations directly. In your example, the whole thing wouldn't
>>> make sense without the illustrations.
>>>
>>> How many of these stories do you think would have essential images
>>> like this?

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1a8c7ae0-762b-698b-9273-320f01560858%40standardebooks.org
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1a8c7ae0-762b-698b-9273-320f01560858%40standardebooks.org>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/021BCD7B-6E2F-4A1D-AF34-20C786E3D7E4%40reala.net
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/021BCD7B-6E2F-4A1D-AF34-20C786E3D7E4%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F61DE66E-8735-40E3-BF4B-E2D5B0AE2C3E%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F61DE66E-8735-40E3-BF4B-E2D5B0AE2C3E%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Feb 14, 2022, 4:49:28 AMFeb 14
to Standard Ebooks
So plan is to prep the book without images, then add the images as a second phase. I’ve finished the first of those, and thought I’d run a quick build --check-only to check for problems, and it’s thrown up something I haven’t seen before.

In The Tailor of Gloucester there’s a dedication which is in a story-level <header>. The dedication itself is in the form of a letter, and has a salutation in its own <header>. epubcheck flags this as a nested header (RSC-005) and looking at the HTML specs that seems legit: the content model of https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/sections.html#the-header-element doesn’t allow any <header> descendents.

So I think I’ll remove the salutation from its own header, make sure the styling is correct, and silence any lint errors. Sound reasonable?

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ea16fe07-ecae-9eed-37b1-ec44dd8c8c36%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Feb 14, 2022, 12:53:23 PMFeb 14
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Are you sure the dedication belongs in the header? Dedications are
usually their own sections, especially if it's a letter.

On 2/14/22 3:49 AM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> So plan is to prep the book without images, then add the images as a
> second phase. I’ve finished the first of those, and thought I’d run a
> quick build --check-only to check for problems, and it’s thrown up
> something I haven’t seen before.
>
> In /The Tailor of Gloucester/ there’s a dedication which is in a
> story-level <header>. The dedication itself is in the form of a letter,
> and has a salutation in its own <header>. epubcheck flags this as a
> nested header (RSC-005) and looking at the HTML specs that seems legit:
> the content model of
> https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/sections.html#the-header-element
> <https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/sections.html#the-header-element> doesn’t
> allow any <header> descendents.
>
> So I think I’ll remove the salutation from its own header, make sure the
> styling is correct, and silence any lint errors. Sound reasonable?
>
>> On 31 Dec 2021, at 21:09, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F61DE66E-8735-40E3-BF4B-E2D5B0AE2C3E%40reala.net
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F61DE66E-8735-40E3-BF4B-E2D5B0AE2C3E%40reala.net>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F61DE66E-8735-40E3-BF4B-E2D5B0AE2C3E%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F61DE66E-8735-40E3-BF4B-E2D5B0AE2C3E%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ea16fe07-ecae-9eed-37b1-ec44dd8c8c36%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ea16fe07-ecae-9eed-37b1-ec44dd8c8c36%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/BC85F5B3-5114-4573-BA4D-B3A1BFF395B7%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/BC85F5B3-5114-4573-BA4D-B3A1BFF395B7%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Feb 14, 2022, 12:55:14 PMFeb 14
to Standard Ebooks
This is the markup as stands. You mean that we should have a title/epigraph header, then move the dedication to after that?

-Robin
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/677ecd7a-cbf0-2dc4-763d-f8602c8a9592%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Feb 14, 2022, 4:07:21 PMFeb 14
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Did you mean to include the source here?

Robin Whittleton

Feb 14, 2022, 4:11:42 PMFeb 14
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Alex Cabal

Feb 14, 2022, 4:26:59 PMFeb 14
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yeah because the dedication is unusually long, I would put both the
epigraph and dedication in a sub section, then the story body can be in
its own sub section without a header. That way <header> is not necessary
either.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 28, 2022, 11:36:36 AMApr 28
to Standard Ebooks
Back on this after a break. Current problem is image quality in “The Tailor of Gloucester”. Archive.org has 5 different scans listed as in PD, but they’re all pretty bad and some of them are dreadful. Compare and contrast:

Alex Cabal

Apr 28, 2022, 11:38:41 AMApr 28
to standar...@googlegroups.com
For the images, sure. It's easy enough to see if an image in a later
reprint is the same as a PD edition. But, please confirm that all of
them are identical to a PD edition.

On 4/28/22 10:36 AM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Back on this after a break. Current problem is image quality in “The
> Tailor of Gloucester”. Archive.org <http://Archive.org> has 5 different
> scans listed as in PD, but they’re all pretty bad and some of them are
> dreadful. Compare and contrast:
>
> * https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest00pottuoft/page/n5/mode/1up
> <https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest00pottuoft/page/n5/mode/1up>
> * https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest0000pott/page/n5/mode/1up <https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest0000pott/page/n5/mode/1up>
> * https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest00pottrich/page/n9/mode/1up
> <https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest00pottrich/page/n9/mode/1up>
> * https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucestpott/page/n7/mode/1up
> <https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucestpott/page/n7/mode/1up>
> * https://archive.org/details/b1005970/page/n7/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/b1005970/page/n7/mode/2up>
>

> The best of the bunch to my eyes is
> https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest00pottuoft/page/n5/mode/1up
> <https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest00pottuoft/page/n5/mode/1up> .
> But it doesn’t have a publishing date in the front. Given that these are
> reprints of a book with a known publishing date (see
> https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest0000pott/page/n7/mode/1up
> <https://archive.org/details/tailorofgloucest0000pott/page/n7/mode/1up>)
> can I use it anyway Alex?
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 29 Dec 2021, at 13:51, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>
>> 22 of the 23 books are in US PD and the last won’t arrive for a few
>> years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter#Publications
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrix_Potter#Publications> .
>> Something we’d want? It wouldn’t be a difficult compilation, so I’d be
>> happy to add it to the moderate list and leave it to someone else as
>> their first compilation instead.
>>
>> -Robin
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/140F1C71-D1F3-4AE0-91D1-D2A6828F2709%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/140F1C71-D1F3-4AE0-91D1-D2A6828F2709%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

Apr 28, 2022, 7:56:47 PMApr 28
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If they are in PD because of the book publication, why not use screen shots of the images in the Tate?

https://www.tate.org.uk/art/artworks/potter-illustrations-for-the-tailor-of-gloucester-65490/22
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/45b259cc-d468-feb3-2fd7-9e791bb2f85b%40standardebooks.org.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 29, 2022, 1:05:51 AMApr 29
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I had no idea they existed! That solves that problem then 😁

Robin Whittleton

Jun 29, 2022, 1:23:55 PMJun 29
to Standard Ebooks
This production is going to take a while to get through. Each book requires a bunch of images to be colour adjusted, cropped, tidied and have alt text written. So far I’ve done six of the twenty books for 161 illustrations, so we’ll be looking at ~540 in the end. It’s still fun, but I’m breaking it with other smaller productions to make sure I don’t get fed up.

Robin Whittleton

Aug 13, 2022, 3:29:06 AMAug 13
to Standard Ebooks
Next question: Fierce Bad Rabbit only has one scan on Archive and one on Hathi, both are by F. Warne & Co. and neither have an official publication date in the scans. I’ve found a scan of a journal advertising F. Warne’s edition of Fierce Bad Rabbit dated to 1910. The Gutenberg transcription seems to have taken their images from the scan on archive.org, judging by the cover image. I also found a more modern edition on archive.org that’s available to borrow; their colophon says that it was first published in 1906 and that this new edition is based on new scans of Potter’s original watercolours, which are the same (albeit slightly better quality) images that appear in the other scan.

Does all of this add up to us being able to use the Hathi images without that book having a specific publication date inside it?

Alex Cabal

Aug 13, 2022, 1:38:26 PMAug 13
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think that makes sense.

On 8/13/22 2:28 AM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> Next question: /Fierce Bad Rabbit /only has one scan on Archive
> <https://archive.org/details/storyoffiercebad00pott> and one on Hathi
> <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/011001828>, both are by F. Warne
> & Co. and neither have an official publication date in the scans. I’ve
> found a scan of a journal advertising F. Warne’s edition of /Fierce Bad
> Rabbit/
> <https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Publishers_Circular_and_Booksellers/XdEPfy9CMIkC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22fierce+bad+rabbit%22&pg=PA615&printsec=frontcover>//dated
> to 1910. The Gutenberg transcription
> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45265> seems to have taken their
> images from the scan on archive.org <http://archive.org>, judging by the
> cover image. I also found a more modern edition on
> <https://archive.org/details/storyoffiercebad0000pott>archive.org
> <http://archive.org> that’s available to borrow; their colophon says
> that it was first published in 1906 and that this new edition is based
> on new scans of Potter’s original watercolours, which are the same
> (albeit slightly better quality) images that appear in the other scan.
>
> Does all of this add up to us being able to use the Hathi images without
> that book having a specific publication date inside it?
>
>> On 29 Jun 2022, at 19:23, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>
>> This production is going to take a while to get through. Each book
>> requires a bunch of images to be colour adjusted, cropped, tidied and
>> have alt text written. So far I’ve done six of the twenty books for
>> 161 illustrations, so we’ll be looking at ~540 in the end. It’s still
>> fun, but I’m breaking it with other smaller productions to make sure I
>> don’t get fed up.
>>
>>> On 29 Apr 2022, at 06:05, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I had no idea they existed! That solves that problem then 😁

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6F5B2FB6-70D5-4A53-B22F-7D8EA845EA94%40reala.net
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6F5B2FB6-70D5-4A53-B22F-7D8EA845EA94%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C9C35439-8575-49A6-93AA-F490D5BAD918%40reala.net
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/C9C35439-8575-49A6-93AA-F490D5BAD918%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/808EF41C-7CBE-4606-8A4E-9869C78C9D3C%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/808EF41C-7CBE-4606-8A4E-9869C78C9D3C%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Aug 18, 2022, 2:12:50 PMAug 18
to Standard Ebooks
OK, let’s argue one step further, and please absolutely tell me this goes too far :)

The Story of Miss Moppet was released at the same time as Fierce Bad Rabbit and in the same style of binding. The journal previously mentioned has both of them in there. There is also a reissue, with the same text in the colophon about how it’s rescans of Beatrix Potter’s original illustrations, the same as Fierce Bad Rabbit. The Gutenberg version has illustrations that presumably passed the PD test, which is what I’m currently using.

So, hear me out, but given that we have a reissue with decent illustrations, that are listed as rescans of the original, and we have “PD proof” in the form of Gutenberg usage, would it be OK to take the images from the modern book on archive.org that match up with an image from the PG edition and use them in our edition of Miss Moppet?

If not then no problem, I’ll just carry on with the illustrations from Gutenberg.

Here’s the colophon from the 1987 edition I’m proposing to use:

-Robin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bd0accff-08e9-877d-0fc9-b34e02d38fb2%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Aug 18, 2022, 4:40:24 PMAug 18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If they're identical images, then yes you can use them

On 8/18/22 1:12 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
> [...]
>>> to 1910. The Gutenberg transcription
>>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45265
>>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45265>> seems to have taken their
>>> images from the scan on archive.org <http://archive.org>
>>> <http://archive.org <http://archive.org>>, judging by the cover
>>> <http://archive.org> <http://archive.org <http://archive.org>> that’s
>>> available to borrow; their colophon says that it was first published
>>> in 1906 and that this new edition is based on new scans of Potter’s
>>> original watercolours, which are the same (albeit slightly better
>>> quality) images that appear in the other scan.
>>> Does all of this add up to us being able to use the Hathi images
>>> without that book having a specific publication date inside it?

Robin Whittleton

Sep 24, 2022, 5:06:54 AM (12 days ago) Sep 24
to Standard Ebooks
The best scans I with a PD copyright page that I can find of The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies are from Google: https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Tale_of_the_Flopsy_Bunnies/0i81Lga5LM8C . But it says Copyright 1908, copyright renewed 1937. They’re the same images as in https://archive.org/details/taleofflopsybunn0000beat which has a 1909. I assume I’m OK to use them, but worth double-checking.

-Robin

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0afdf392-ccd7-9b12-19f6-82987d0d24a2%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Sep 24, 2022, 5:31:19 PM (12 days ago) Sep 24
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's fine.