[Next Production] Peter Kropotkin, Memoirs of a Revolutionist

Jeff Thoss

Apr 27, 2022, 4:05:41 AM4/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi,

I see this is on the “books wanted” list and would be interested in doing it as a next production.

The transcription linked to is this one:

Scans of this edition are available here:

The index wasn't transcribed, but I assume there's not much use for it in an ebook anyway.

Best,
Jeff

Alex Cabal

Apr 27, 2022, 11:32:41 AM4/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK! Correct, generally we cut indexes.

It looks unlike PG this transcription uses <em> instead of <i> so make
sure to check those elements to correct them if necessary.

Send a link to your repo once you get started. Thanks!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/40cabcd4-815b-4d5d-9042-147563225e54n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/40cabcd4-815b-4d5d-9042-147563225e54n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jeff Thoss

Apr 27, 2022, 5:29:36 PM4/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alright. Here's the link to my repo:

Best,
Jeff

Jeff Thoss

May 12, 2022, 8:09:03 AM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi,

First, I've located better scans of the book to use as a reference:

Second, I have a question on illustrations (there are three grayscale ones): I understand the final processing is done via the se toolset, but what should I do to the image files before placing them in the repository? Just crop the page scans and save them as high-quality JPGs?

Best,
Jeff

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 10:41:38 AM5/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If the source JPGs came from page scans, then just save the entire
pages, at the highest resolution you can get, into ./images/. You don't
want to crop and re-save as JPG because each time you save as JPG you
lose quality.

Images in ./images/ are the highest resolution images we can find, in
their raw form. Then, you would process them by cropping and scaling and
save those in ./src/epub/images/ for distribution.

On 5/12/22 7:09 AM, Jeff Thoss wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First, I've located better scans of the book to use as a reference:
> https://archive.org/details/memoirsofrevolut02krop
>
> Second, I have a question on illustrations (there are three grayscale
> ones): I understand the final processing is done via the se toolset, but
> what should I do to the image files before placing them in the
> repository? Just crop the page scans and save them as high-quality JPGs?
>
> Best,
> Jeff
>
> On Wednesday, 27 April 2022 at 23:29:36 UTC+2 Jeff Thoss wrote:
>
> Alright. Here's the link to my repo:
>
> https://github.com/iesegnu/peter-kropotkin_memoirs-of-a-revolutionist <https://github.com/iesegnu/peter-kropotkin_memoirs-of-a-revolutionist>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/40cabcd4-815b-4d5d-9042-147563225e54n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/40cabcd4-815b-4d5d-9042-147563225e54n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/225caa30-7ea0-4d6d-abed-be1d9ef46133n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/225caa30-7ea0-4d6d-abed-be1d9ef46133n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jeff Thoss

May 12, 2022, 10:57:55 AM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alright. These are TIFF-files, ca 5 MB each, so I suppose I could just crop them to keep the repository size down and put the TIFFs into ./images/.

They're also color scans of grayscale images on yellowed paper, so I'd convert the files to grayscale as the color's really just an artifact.

Let me know if that's acceptable.

Best,
Jeff

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 11:04:01 AM5/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Just put the raw images in ./images/. Bytes are practically free
nowadays. You can make them greyscale but only the distributable images
in ./src/epub/images/. Thanks!