Pensées by Blaise Pascal

Matt Chan

Jul 26, 2022, 9:23:27 PMJul 26
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This work is on Gutenberg and Hathitrust, but the publication date seems late for it to be PD (1958), anyone know what gives?

Vince

Jul 26, 2022, 9:36:19 PMJul 26
to Standard Ebooks
Works prior to 1964 fall out of copyright if it wasn’t renewed; that’s how we have so much science-fiction from the fifties.

Matt Chan

Jul 26, 2022, 9:38:42 PMJul 26
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vince. This is excellent news; I'd like to work on this next while I slowly dig away (again) on Confucius?

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2022, 12:28:48 PMJul 27
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Robin, can you manage this with David reviewing?

On 7/26/22 8:38 PM, Matt Chan wrote:
> Thanks Vince. This is excellent news; I'd like to work on this next
> while I slowly dig away (again) on Confucius?
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 9:36 PM Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>
> Works prior to 1964 fall out of copyright if it wasn’t renewed;
> that’s how we have so much science-fiction from the fifties.
>

>> On Jul 26, 2022, at 8:23 PM, Matt Chan <thew...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:thew...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> This work is on Gutenberg and Hathitrust, but the publication date
>> seems late for it to be PD (1958), anyone know what gives?
>>
>> https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18269
>> <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/18269>
>> https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001799618
>> <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001799618>
>
> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTd8sQ80vboBYRFwKXpRo1Ji5JXnEsFXGQ%2BrfwBNiktCiw%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTd8sQ80vboBYRFwKXpRo1Ji5JXnEsFXGQ%2BrfwBNiktCiw%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Jul 27, 2022, 12:44:09 PMJul 27
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yep.

> On 27 Jul 2022, at 18:29, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Robin, can you manage this with David reviewing?
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2c097c7a-c3e1-fb56-b00b-35bd6bf7b283%40standardebooks.org.

Matt Chan

Jul 27, 2022, 12:50:52 PMJul 27
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex, Robin, and David. I will get it going!

David Grigg

Jul 27, 2022, 6:53:58 PMJul 27
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Matt Chan

Jul 29, 2022, 7:05:25 PMJul 29
to standar...@googlegroups.com
What do you all think is the best way to typeset this? MathML?

image.png

Matt Chan

Jul 29, 2022, 7:10:08 PMJul 29
to standar...@googlegroups.com
And this:

image.png
Should this be a diagram via SVG?

Robin Whittleton

Jul 30, 2022, 6:20:31 AMJul 30
to Standard Ebooks
For the first, there’s no particularly good way of doing it. I’ve in the past hacked together some CSS to do this for Tristram Shandy, so you could reuse that if you want? Example: https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/laurence-sterne/the-life-and-opinions-of-tristram-shandy-gentleman/text/chapter-7-31

For the second, definitely an SVG. Set the text as actual text nodes (with no font reference beyond serif) and the lines as lines. You can find a similar example in Pepys Diaryhttps://standardebooks.org/ebooks/samuel-pepys/the-diary/images/illustration-1.svg

-Robin

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 7:05 PM Matt Chan <thew...@gmail.com> wrote:
What do you all think is the best way to typeset this? MathML?

<image.png>

Matt Chan

Jul 30, 2022, 8:17:24 PMJul 30
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robin, that's super helpful! I'll give it a try.

C T

Aug 2, 2022, 7:04:17 AMAug 2
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I also did a bracketed list in The Path to Rome, check out the CSS there as well.

Matt Chan

Aug 3, 2022, 2:46:31 PMAug 3
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Another question, the book has an index and the transcription has transcriber's notes, do we keep any of those?
image.png

image.png

Robin Whittleton

Aug 3, 2022, 2:59:37 PMAug 3
to Standard Ebooks
Cut them both, neither are something we’d usually keep.

-Robin

On 3 Aug 2022, at 20:46, Matt Chan <thew...@gmail.com> wrote:

Another question, the book has an index and the transcription has transcriber's notes, do we keep any of those?
<image.png>

<image.png>

Matt Chan

Aug 3, 2022, 3:01:21 PMAug 3
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Matt Chan

Aug 3, 2022, 7:29:37 PMAug 3
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Should there be any special treatment like a no-break space for surnames that are multiple words? Like "Mr.<nbsp>La Forge"?

Matt Chan

Aug 3, 2022, 9:33:32 PMAug 3
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If an inline quote is italicized by <i> element, do we keep them? Change it to some other element with semantics? Remove them? Or change to quotes?

E.g.

Matt Chan

Aug 3, 2022, 10:06:06 PMAug 3
to standar...@googlegroups.com
In an endnote with a <cite> element, does the chapter/page/etc number fall into the <cite> element or outside? E.g:

<li id="note-20" epub:type="endnote">
</li>

David Grigg

Aug 3, 2022, 10:22:41 PMAug 3
to Standard Ebooks
Outside.

Matt Chan

Aug 4, 2022, 10:08:56 AMAug 4
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David; any ideas about my previous 2 questions?

Alex Cabal

Aug 4, 2022, 12:55:31 PMAug 4
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Robin is managing this one, he should get to you shortly

On 8/4/22 9:08 AM, Matt Chan wrote:
> [...]
>> https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/laurence-sterne/the-life-and-opinions-of-tristram-shandy-gentleman/text/chapter-7-31
>> <https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/laurence-sterne/the-life-and-opinions-of-tristram-shandy-gentleman/text/chapter-7-31>
>>
>> For the second, definitely an SVG. Set
>> the text as actual text nodes (with no
>> font reference beyond serif) and the
>> lines as lines. You can find a similar
>> example in /Pepys Diary/:
>> https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/samuel-pepys/the-diary/images/illustration-1.svg

>>> --
>>> You received this message
>>> because you are subscribed to
>>> the Google Groups "Standard
>>> Ebooks" group.
>>> group and stop receiving
>>> emails from it, send an email
>>> tostandardebook...@googlegroups.com.
>>> To view this discussion on
>>> the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9be0b5e7-7b07-4732-add6-385123d1faf8%40Spark
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9be0b5e7-7b07-4732-add6-385123d1faf8%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>>

>>> --
>>> stop receiving emails from it, send
>>> an email
>>> tostandardebook...@googlegroups.com.
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTeks60m4_NDJnqa_Q-A5OQdwXzzmnUv-oLvdRNuANJsog%40mail.gmail.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTeks60m4_NDJnqa_Q-A5OQdwXzzmnUv-oLvdRNuANJsog%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> stop receiving emails from it, send an
>> email to
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visit
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/97F3FDB4-ABE4-44DE-AA18-306F1DAEB5A7%40reala.net
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/97F3FDB4-ABE4-44DE-AA18-306F1DAEB5A7%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> receiving emails from it, send an email to
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAN6PGGUUqqOydoPnN0NonDMd%2BEOz7UqsjpLWZEABxJbQHV00mg%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAN6PGGUUqqOydoPnN0NonDMd%2BEOz7UqsjpLWZEABxJbQHV00mg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> receiving emails from it, send an email to
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTfax1MeCPkpb%2BqpLtgjtRESB0WhT4YKq01iiGOZ-cfF9g%40mail.gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTfax1MeCPkpb%2BqpLtgjtRESB0WhT4YKq01iiGOZ-cfF9g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> receiving emails from it, send an email to

Matt Chan

Aug 4, 2022, 1:01:10 PMAug 4
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Alex, no rush to Robin/David, just wanted to make sure I didn't bury my own questions

Robin Whittleton

Aug 4, 2022, 2:07:23 PMAug 4
to Standard Ebooks
Typically no, but given that La is so short it might be worth it in this case. How does it look if you do it?.

-Robin

Matt Chan

Aug 4, 2022, 2:11:19 PMAug 4
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hard to tell, I just thought it's kind of strange to keep Mr. La together but not Mr. La Forge, if that's the whole name. I can leave it alone for now.

Robin Whittleton

Aug 4, 2022, 2:20:14 PMAug 4
to Standard Ebooks
Is this a chapter title? Either way, removing the italics and adding quote marks seems to be the correct course of action.

-Robin

Matt Chan

Aug 4, 2022, 2:26:11 PMAug 4
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Not a chapter title, but yes I can remove the italics and add quotes.

Robin here's a related question, in most of the end notes, it took the passage the endnote is notating and put that in italics. I'm unsure what to do with this, it uses <i>, I can change it to <em> but not sure if it makes semantic sense. I can change those to quotes as well, which makes sense in my head but not sure if that's what's accepted. Here's an example:
Endnote:
image.png
Which is quoting:
image.png

Relatedly, some of the "fragments" in each section (chapters) have "headings" of a sort. In the text they are again set with italics (<i>) followed by em dash.
Here's an example:

image.png
(I've chosen to use PG as the screenshot here since it's clearer than the book scans, rest assure that the book looks the "same")

For now I have changed the <i> to <em>, but again, not sure if that's the correct course of action?

Robin Whittleton

Matt Chan

Aug 4, 2022, 2:34:16 PMAug 4
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Got it. I will change the endnote quotes to quotation mark and get rid italics (unless foreign phrase), and use this <dfn> for body headings.

Matt Chan

Aug 5, 2022, 5:45:17 PMAug 5
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Double checking: do we do anything to commas and periods inside vs. outside of parentheses? Or leave as they are in transcription/page scans?

Robin Whittleton

Aug 6, 2022, 3:20:20 AMAug 6
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Parentheses? Leave them as per the source, we don’t have any rule here that I’m aware of.

Vince Rice

Aug 6, 2022, 11:13:16 AMAug 6
to standar...@googlegroups.com
We do, actually. See the first item in the common issues guide, https://standardebooks.org/contribute/how-tos/common-issues-when-working-on-public-domain-ebooks

Matt Chan

Aug 6, 2022, 11:21:18 AMAug 6
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Vince, I might be wrong but I can't find this in the Manual, maybe we should add it?

Vince Rice

Aug 6, 2022, 11:48:09 AMAug 6
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It's not in the manual, that's why it's in common issues. :) The manual is "this is the way a book should look"; the step-by-step and especially the common issues deal with things we encounter in getting them there. Alex mentioned adding a link to common issues from the step by step; I haven't looked recently, so I don't know if that's happened yet.

Matt Chan

Aug 6, 2022, 11:55:34 AMAug 6
to standar...@googlegroups.com
There is a punctuation section in the manual, and a specific entry that mentions whether or not periods/commas should be inside or outside quotes (8.7.2), I feel like there could be an entry in the manual mentioning the same thing about parentheses? I feel like if the "common issue" contains "rules" not mentioned in the menu it might create confusion (as it did for me)?

Alex Cabal

Aug 6, 2022, 12:07:36 PMAug 6
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Punctuation in parenthesis follows the grammar of the subclause so the
rules are complicated and not something that was ever different between
countries or over the years. If you want to do the research and put
together the complete rule set for that case then you can open a PR on
the manual.

On 8/6/22 10:55 AM, Matt Chan wrote:
> There is a punctuation section in the manual, and a specific entry that
> mentions whether or not periods/commas should be inside or outside
> quotes (8.7.2), I feel like there could be an entry in the manual
> mentioning the same thing about parentheses? I feel like if the "common
> issue" contains "rules" not mentioned in the menu it might create
> confusion (as it did for me)?
>
> On Sat, Aug 6, 2022 at 11:48 AM Vince Rice <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>
> It's not in the manual, that's why it's in common issues. :) The
> manual is "this is the way a book should look"; the step-by-step and
> especially the common issues deal with things we encounter in
> getting them there. Alex mentioned adding a link to common issues
> from the step by step; I haven't looked recently, so I don't know if
> that's happened yet.
>
>> On Aug 6, 2022, at 10:21 AM, Matt Chan <thew...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:thew...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Vince, I might be wrong but I can't find this in the
>> Manual, maybe we should add it?
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 6, 2022, 11:13 AM Vince Rice
>> <vr_se...@letterboxes.org <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> We do, actually. See the first item in the common issues
>> guide,
>> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/how-tos/common-issues-when-working-on-public-domain-ebooks
>> <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/how-tos/common-issues-when-working-on-public-domain-ebooks>.
>>

>>> On Aug 6, 2022, at 2:20 AM, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Parentheses? Leave them as per the source, we don’t have any
>>> rule here that I’m aware of.

> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTd_zOyhXga9oAFSq2udgarR6QgyiO_EZTDiFwT4SeZgrQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAB6ohTd_zOyhXga9oAFSq2udgarR6QgyiO_EZTDiFwT4SeZgrQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Matt Chan

Aug 6, 2022, 12:09:52 PMAug 6
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Okay Alex, I'll try to do some reading on this and report back.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/555a25b7-7262-e540-0737-a973f9a4c16c%40standardebooks.org.

Matt Chan

Aug 8, 2022, 8:36:51 PMAug 8
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Alex, I'm waiting to check the official Chicago style manual, but broadly speaking the rule seems to be that if punctuation should go in/out of a parentheses in the way that if you remove the entire parenthetical section what remains can stand on its own. Therefore:

1. Let's go. (I already paid.) → Let's go.
2. Let's go. (I already paid). → Let's go..

In this case 1. is correct; removing the parenthetical section left a proper sentence, but 2. is incorrect because it left an extra period.

On the other hand:

1. The meeting is at 11 o'clock (eastern standard time.) → The meeting is at 11 o'clock
2. The meeting is at 11 o'clock (eastern standard time). → The meeting is at 11 o'clock.

In this case 2. is correct, because in 1. removing the parenthetical section left what remained without a terminal period.

I will update as I keep digging.

Matt Chan

Aug 8, 2022, 8:47:47 PMAug 8
to standar...@googlegroups.com
For an abbreviation of the title of a book, would we still italicize it? If so, would we add the book epub attribute to <abbr> and use CSS to italicize (<abbr epub:type="se...), or do we do <abbr><i epub:type="se... ? (Incidentally, the abbreviated, book title might be foreign as well, but I can't really tell because the abbreviation is Ann. for Annals in English, or Annales in Latin, I can use some guidance here as well.)

Robin Whittleton

Aug 9, 2022, 1:13:40 PMAug 9
to Standard Ebooks

-Robin