[Next First Project] The Further Adventures of Zorro by Johnston McCulley

Gil...@msn.com

Jul 10, 2024, 1:47:42 AM (8 days ago) Jul 10
to Standard Ebooks
Okay, doing this formally. Since SE already has The Mark of Zorro, I'd like to tackle its sequel as my proper first project. The transcription is at Project Gutenberg and the scans in the Internet Archive (Parts 1-3 and Parts 4-6). And I have a source for a cover: Sleeping Fox by Jacques Laurent Agasse although I've yet to find it large enough image.

May I work on this book?

Gil

Alex Cabal

Jul 10, 2024, 12:07:41 PM (7 days ago) Jul 10
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, that one would be a good start.

You can cut all of the illustrations and also remove the 'part'
divisions, as they were for serialization.

I see a few letters and some verse, see the manual for copy and paste
HTML and CSS.

I suggest you not try to install the tools on Windows using Powershell.
That is an unusual setup and it will complicate your life greatly,
especially if you're unfamiliar with the command line, file system, or
Git. If you don't have a native Mac or Linux machine available, I
suggest you create a full Ubuntu virtual machine using Virtualbox or
similar software and install the tools inside that virtual machine,
instead of in a layer over Windows.

The link to your cover art doesn't work, but in any case you must prove
your cover art is in the US public domain before it can be approved. See
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.8.0/10-art-and-images#10.3.3.7.1 You
should read the novel before searching for cover art.

Since you found scans of the serialization, and the PG edition appears
to be based on the novelization, there may be significant differences.
You should try to find the novelization instead if you can. If you
can't, then besides obvious typos, I would not make significant changes
away from what PG has in an attempt to match the serialization scans, as
the novelization came later.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)

On 7/10/24 12:47 AM, Gil...@msn.com wrote:
> Okay, doing this formally. Since SE already has The Mark of Zorro, I'd
> like to tackle its sequel as my proper first project. The transcription
> is at Project Gutenberg <https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/72159> and the
> scans in the Internet Archive (Parts 1-3
> <https://archive.org/details/argosyallstorywe142newy/page/481/mode/1up> and Parts 4-6 <https://archive.org/details/argosyallstorywe143newy/page/110/mode/2up>). And I have a source for a cover: Sleeping Fox by Jacques Laurent Agasse <https://cp12.nevsepic.com.ua/5-2/thumbs/1358334371-0956130-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg> although I've yet to find it large enough image.
>
> May I work on this book?
>
> Gil
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/83a22a8a-7f75-49b1-9fea-73b172b2adf8n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/83a22a8a-7f75-49b1-9fea-73b172b2adf8n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Gil...@msn.com

Jul 10, 2024, 6:52:03 PM (7 days ago) Jul 10
to Standard Ebooks
Alex,

Thanks for the input. I'm a little confused as to why I was doing Windows wrong, since that was in the manual, even to using Windows PowerShell. However, that is now neither here nor there.

I attempted using my wife's Mac, but could not log her off the Terminal so that I could use it. So I'll soldier on with this PC.

I have installed VirtualBox and now it's on to adding Python and the other goodies I need.

The painting I thought of

dates from before 1849, and there are plenty of (alas) licensable images; apparently it's in a private Swiss collection, and while public domain is not available. I thought of the fox to go along with the SE The Mark of Zorro cover, but I'll see what are my possibilities after I produce the ebook.

Gil

David

Jul 11, 2024, 7:40:39 AM (7 days ago) Jul 11
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Gil - just on the artwork question, it's reading the relevant "FAQ" in SEMoS ... most producers chafe at some point, but thus it has ever been, thus it shall ever be.

You might find better, but the Swedish artist Bruno Liljefors has a number of paintings of foxes, some of which are in the National Museum of Sweden, which is one of our "approved" sources for CC0 artwork. There's at least that, although as I say, you might find something more suitable.

FWIW! David / Fife, UK

On Wednesday 10 July 2024 at 23:52:03 UTC+1 Gil wrote:

The painting I thought of
. . .