Question About Short Fiction by O. Henry

Howard Cornett

Mar 16, 2023, 4:49:11 PM3/16/23
to Standard Ebooks
What is the order of the stories in this book? I am a big fan of O. Henry and am used to his short fiction being ordered by the collections he published. That doesn't seem to be the case with this ebook. What is the basis for the order of the stories in it?

Thanks,
Howard

Howard Cornett

Mar 16, 2023, 4:49:36 PM3/16/23
to Standard Ebooks

Vince

Mar 16, 2023, 5:43:33 PM3/16/23
to Standard Ebooks
Like almost all of our short fiction collections, they are generally in the order in which they were written.

From the review notes at the time (I should probably put these in the production notes):
The order of the stories is as chronological as I can make them,
   with a couple of exceptions.
     o There are a block of stories from his Houston Post years that
       are not in the available online archives. For those stories, I
       left them in the order they appear in the /Postscripts/ book.
     o The stories in /Cabbages and Kings/ were all written while he
       was in Honduras while avoiding arrest for embezzlement. Although
       some of the stories were published individually in magazines
       later, there is a lot of continuity of characters and places in
       the stories, so I have left them in the order they were printed
       in the book.
     o Some of the stories in /The Gentle Grafter/ were written
       specifically for the book, others were printed in magazines
       prior. The majority of the stories involve a character named
       Jeff Peters, most of them for the book, a couple of them for
       magazines. Since they all involve the same character, I have
       kept all of the Peters stories together.

Howard Cornett

Mar 16, 2023, 8:08:55 PM3/16/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Vince!