Conan Short Fiction of Robert E. Howard

Jason Gilman

Jun 21, 2017, 5:24:48 PM6/21/17
to Standard Ebooks
I would like to put together a compilation of Robert E. Howard's Conan short fiction on Project Gutenberg , excluding The Hour of the Dragon which is a full 22 chapter Conan novel. There are several additional Conan short stories available from the Australian Gutenberg site, but I gather that it's not clear cut as to what their US public domain status is so I won't include them. If this is a reasonable project for inclusion what would be an appropriate title for this collection?

Alex Cabal

Jun 21, 2017, 5:45:14 PM6/21/17
to Jason Gilman, Standard Ebooks
Sure, that would be a great project!

Please only include work available on the US Gutenberg site.  US copyright law and Australian copyright law differ, and we follow US law.

Generally anything in a "short fiction" collection must be below novel length, i.e. less than 40,000 words.  Novellas are OK to include in a short fiction collection.  You can get a rough word count by downloading the PG HTML file, removing the license and running the `word-count -v` tool from our tools repo: https://github.com/standardebooks/tools

Since a quick glance suggests that it's almost exclusively the Conan stories that are public domain in the US, we can just call this collection "Short Fiction" since it will comprise all of his short fiction we have access to.

Are you planning on doing all 12 that PG has listed?

---- On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 16:24:48 -0500 Jason Gilman <axo...@gmail.com> wrote ----

I would like to put together a compilation of Robert E. Howard's Conan short fiction on Project Gutenberg , excluding The Hour of the Dragon which is a full 22 chapter Conan novel. There are several additional Conan short stories available from the Australian Gutenberg site, but I gather that it's not clear cut as to what their US public domain status is so I won't include them. If this is a reasonable project for inclusion what would be an appropriate title for this collection?

Jason Gilman

Jun 21, 2017, 8:57:13 PM6/21/17
to Standard Ebooks, axo...@gmail.com
After investigating the word counts it looks like it might make more sense to split the 11 titles that qualify as short fiction into two volumes of ~80,000 words each. But I'm open to whatever you think is best. The 12th title, The Hour of the Dragon, is a 70,000 word novel that falls chronologically after the earlier fiction. I'd like to do it as it's own project in the future as well, but I'd prefer to focus on getting the short fiction done first.

Alex Cabal

Jun 21, 2017, 10:50:04 PM6/21/17
to Standard Ebooks
We should include all of the short stories in one omnibus, which is what we prefer.  (See https://standardebooks.org/ebooks/anton-chekhov/short-fiction/constance-garnett/ which contains over 800,000 words of short fiction! :) )

The important part is that we separate novel-length works out, so as you mentioned Hour of the Dragon would be its own production.

You can get started right away if you like.  See that Chekhov omnibus for an example of how to structure a short story collection.  In particular pay attention to the semantics and nesting of the various <section>s, and how things are structured in the ToC.

Make sure to review our typography and semantics manuals before starting:

You can get started with the step by step guide, which will guide you from start to finish: https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email as often as you like to get answers to questions on how to format things. We've covered nearly all the formatting cases you'll encounter and even if there's no entry in the manual, there is likely a preferred way of doing whatever you need to do.

When you're ready to start, please email me a link to your Github repo so I can mark you as started.   Have fun!

---- On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 19:57:13 -0500 Jason Gilman <axo...@gmail.com> wrote ----

Alex Cabal

Jun 28, 2017, 2:08:11 PM6/28/17
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jason, have you had a chance to get started on this?   If so, please send me a link to your Github repo so that I can mark you as having started.  Let me know if you have any questions :)

Robin Whittleton

Mar 20, 2018, 1:11:32 PM3/20/18
to Standard Ebooks, axo...@gmail.com
I was wondering how this production was going. It looks like Jason got most of the way through the production, given the repo at https://github.com/axodys/robert-e-howard_short-fiction/commits/master . Jason: if you’re too busy to finish this I’d be happy to do the remaining work needed to complete it?

Alex Cabal

Mar 20, 2018, 5:01:28 PM3/20/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

That ebook is abandoned. You can wrap it up if you want, though usually I find it's easier just to start from scratch since the templates might be outdated and it's often hard to tell how far along someone is.

Alex Cabal

Mar 20, 2018, 5:02:23 PM3/20/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Oh yeah this hasn't been pushed to in almost a year, it's for sure really outdated as we had a lot of changes to the templates and tools around that time. Better to start from scratch.

Robin Whittleton

Mar 20, 2018, 5:04:10 PM3/20/18
to Standard Ebooks
Randomly my earlier mail took 5 days to hit the mailing list, and by that point I’d already forked it and updated it to the latest templates, running clean etc. Overall it seems to be in a pretty good state and I need something to read so I’ll get it into a releasable state, shouldn’t take long :)

Robin Whittleton

Mar 22, 2018, 2:01:36 PM3/22/18
to Standard Ebooks
I take it all back, turns out there’s a huge amount of non-Conan public domain Robert E. Howard out there (visiting http://www.sffaudio.com/public-domain-pdf-page/ and putting “robert e. howard” in comes up with 89 results, although some of them are marked as public domain in Canada only). Given this I’m going to park this project and take it up again later. For reference, I’ve pushed the work I did to get this into shape to https://github.com/robinwhittleton/robert-e-howard_short-fiction.

Alex Cabal

Mar 22, 2018, 2:13:53 PM3/22/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

I'm pretty sure this collection was only referring to the works on PG which are all US-PD. I would assume that by now PG has all of the US-PD Howard works up.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 1, 2018, 1:40:07 PM4/1/18
to Standard Ebooks
Proofing now, but struggling to find cover art. So far I’ve come to looking for any of:

1) Muscly norse gods (e.g. this Fuseli of Thor . Unfortunately this specific one I can’t find as PD although as it’s an RA submission from 1790 I’d hope it would turn up eventually. Bonus snakes:

2) Battle scenes. A lot of the books are fairly full on battles, and while the pre-modern-history battle scenes we’d want don’t really exist in oils (that I can find) we can certainly get early medieval. This is clipped from Jan Matejko’s intense Battle of Grunwalden:

3) Generic landscapes of mountains and steppes. This Friedrich of the Elbes would fit although I’d need to verify PD. Potentially a little boring though?

Anyone else got any ideas of specific paintings or themes that I’ve missed? I also played around with camels in a nod to this classic Arnie scene, but nothing obvious came up that felt suitable :(

Message has been deleted

David Grigg

Apr 1, 2018, 7:58:04 PM4/1/18
to Standard Ebooks
Might this do? This is in the Royal Academy publication for 1892: Vol 1892: https://archive.org/details/royalacademyillu1892roya so provably PD.

The resolution is lousy (only 600 pixels high) but after a bit of processing, it doesn't come up too badly:

Alex Cabal

Apr 1, 2018, 10:21:06 PM4/1/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

I kind of like this one, as it fits in with those classic "muscleman and damsel in distress" pulp novel covers from the 70s and 80s that Howard inspired. Also with the Roman soldier cropped out it's generic enough to not feel out of place.

I also like Battle of Grunwalden, though those warriors probably (I assume) don't look much like Conan was supposed to look, so I'm less excited about that one. The basic landscape could also work. If you find PD proof of any of these write it down as they could certainly be candidates for future productions.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 2, 2018, 3:13:13 AM4/2/18
to Standard Ebooks
That could definitely work. I’ll see if by any chance you’ve missed a higher-res scan, but if not I’ll go with the JPG you found, thanks.

Alex: the Battle painting is provably PD from https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uiug.30112118004560?urlappend=%3Bseq=143 . I amended the commons.wikimedia entry with a PD-1923 tag and added that link to the history. The other two I didn’t find PD provenance for.

David Grigg

Apr 2, 2018, 3:22:35 AM4/2/18
to Standard Ebooks
Robin:

I find that with a low resolution source I can get a slightly better result by blowing up the image to a large size, applying a little bit of blurring or noise, then scaling back down again. The noise breaks up the pixels and kind of does a bit of anti-aliasing.

Here is the cover.source.jpg after I've done that to it, if it's of any help:

Robin Whittleton

Apr 2, 2018, 3:23:58 AM4/2/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I’d just this minute started that process, so you saved me 10 minutes :)

Robin Whittleton

Apr 13, 2018, 5:03:18 PM4/13/18
to Standard Ebooks
OK, this is ready for review: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/robert-e-howard_short-fiction/ .

  • No real problems beyond the difficulty of finding all the original scans (I didn’t manage to find three of them - see content.opf - potentially the GB transcriptions were done directly from the magazines?).
  • Markup is super simple, I added a few letter blockquotes and there’s an introductory note to The Hyborian Age
  • Cover art is David’s suggestion of Victory by Ralph Peacock (who doesn’t seem to have a Wikipedia page), PD proof at https://archive.org/stream/royalacademyillu1892roya#page/88/mode/1up/search/victory

Cleaned, typogrified, and linted, etc., and many thanks to Jason for kicking this one off.

Alex Cabal

Apr 13, 2018, 5:40:12 PM4/13/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

In the colophon it says "transcriptions between 1910 and 1913". I'm guessing you maen 2010, 2013? Let me know and I'll update it on my end.

Otherwise everything looks good!

Alex Cabal

Apr 13, 2018, 5:47:38 PM4/13/18
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Never mind, I fixed it myself. Great work, thanks! :)

Alberto Mariconda

Sep 16, 2020, 7:25:49 AM9/16/20
to Standard Ebooks
Hello there, is this possible to add Conan (the cimmerian or what have you) to the title, cover etc. As now it seems the ebook contains every short story from Howard not Conan only.

Thx in advance

Alex Cabal

Sep 16, 2020, 10:20:16 AM9/16/20
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That's correct, this is a complete short fiction compilation.

On 9/16/20 6:25 AM, Alberto Mariconda wrote:
> Hello there, is this possible to add /Conan/ (the cimmerian or what have
> you) to the title, cover etc. As now it seems the ebook contains every
> short story from Howard not Conan only.
>
> Thx in advance
>
> Il giorno venerdì 13 aprile 2018 alle 23:47:38 UTC+2 Alex Cabal ha scritto:
>
> Never mind, I fixed it myself. Great work, thanks! :)
>

> On 04/13/2018 04:39 PM, Alex Cabal wrote:
>>
>> In the colophon it says "transcriptions between 1910 and 1913".
>> I'm guessing you maen 2010, 2013? Let me know and I'll update it
>> on my end.
>>
>> Otherwise everything looks good!
>>

>> On 04/13/2018 04:03 PM, Robin Whittleton wrote:
>>> OK, this is ready for
>>> review: https://github.com/robinwhittleton/robert-e-howard_short-fiction/ .
>>>

>>> * No real problems beyond the difficulty of finding all the
>>> original scans (I didn’t manage to find three of them - see
>>> content.opf - potentially the GB transcriptions were done
>>> directly from the magazines?).
>>> * Markup is super simple, I added a few letter blockquotes and
>>> there’s an introductory note to /The Hyborian Age/
>>> * Cover art is David’s suggestion of Victory by Ralph Peacock
>>> (who doesn’t seem to have a Wikipedia page), PD proof
>>> at https://archive.org/stream/royalacademyillu1892roya#page/88/mode/1up/search/victory
>>>

>>> Cleaned, typogrified, and linted, etc., and many thanks to Jason
>>> for kicking this one off.

>>> --
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0ECFD7B8-B0D8-46C4-979A-F6C87AD770DF%40reala.net
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0ECFD7B8-B0D8-46C4-979A-F6C87AD770DF%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6fd64d1c-ac6d-5e1e-33e3-e92cecd1b2c8%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6fd64d1c-ac6d-5e1e-33e3-e92cecd1b2c8%40standardebooks.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a1512082-f87e-49ae-b8c8-47a69385ad5en%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/a1512082-f87e-49ae-b8c8-47a69385ad5en%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alberto Mariconda

Sep 18, 2020, 7:08:14 AM9/18/20
to Standard Ebooks
Hello there,

this e.book contains conan stories only not every Howard novelletes.

Asher Smith

Jun 9, 2021, 1:21:15 PM6/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
There's a huge amount more short stories that wiki now says are in the public domain, though this still seems to be all the PD Conan stories. Can I suggest that Howard get the Wodehouse treatment with multiple omnibuses based on the content? There's several dozen boxing stories alone, not to mention the westerns, historicals, horror stories, etc. It looks like wiki has done a lot of the work of sorting out the split between these stories, and wikisource has most of them.

At the very least, I'd argue that this collection should be renamed to show that it's just the Conan stories, not all his short fiction.

Robin Whittleton

Jun 9, 2021, 1:27:22 PM6/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I added a couple of his earlier non-Conan shorts not too long ago. But I suppose they could be split out.

Vince

Jun 9, 2021, 1:31:28 PM6/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
As always, just because Wiki says it’s so doesn’t make it so. Are those “huge amount” on PG? If not, then the work will have to be done to prove they’re PD. (At which time they might as well be submitted to PG.)

Asher Smith

Jun 9, 2021, 1:38:11 PM6/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
I'll admit, I've not done that research - I'm coming at this from the angle of "Do I add the link to the short fiction omnibus to all his short stories, or is it only applicable to some?" which is the question with all the omnibuses. It looks like we have all the stories that are currently on PG, so would have to do the PD confirmation.

What is the standard that we use internally to prove PD? The wikisource pages have links to the copyright renewal databases and say that the story isn't in it, but that doesn't seem like it's a positive proof.

Alex Cabal

Jun 9, 2021, 2:00:46 PM6/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
It's definitely a possibility in the future but someone has to put a
spreadsheet together to see what's what. As Vince said just because
Wikipedia says something is PD doesn't make it true. For this edge-case
post-1925 fantasy/sci fi stuff I would need to see it posted to PG to
believe it.

On 6/9/21 12:21 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> There's a huge amount more short stories that wiki now says
> [...]

B Keith

Jun 9, 2021, 2:13:34 PM6/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
The other issue which I encountered with Wodehouse is that there are a ton of PD stories that just aren’t available from a reputable source or there are zero scans available. My Wodehouse spreadsheet has at least 30 pre-1923 stories that I can’t find any source for and the only online transcriptions I can find come from the site owners’ personal copies of the original publications—which they are not willing to share :-)
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Vince

Jun 9, 2021, 2:19:42 PM6/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
Our internal standard is that it’s on PG. They’re the experts on PD.

If the work is pre-1925, then you can find a scan of the work in a publication prior to 1925. If the work is post-1925, then you have to go through the process of 1) finding a scan of the original work, and 2) proving the copyright wasn’t renewed on the work. And by then, as I said, it can be submitted to PG. (Because those are essentially what PG requires before they’ll take a work.)

I had to go through this when I did the O. Henry omnibus—there were three books that contained stories of his that were published post-1924. I had to do all the research on them, submit them to PG, get them approved, manually transcribe them, and then include them in O. Henry.

The fact the stories in question are on Wiki only removes the “manually transcribe” portion of the above; everything else still needs to be done.

maticstric

Jan 25, 2023, 11:26:59 PM1/25/23
to Standard Ebooks
Continuing from this thread: https://groups.google.com/g/standardebooks/c/XA2cdPXlsVg/

Ok, I've created a spreadsheet for Robert E. Howard's pre-1928 stories to be added to our Short Fiction collection: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/

The color scheme works like this:
    1) Green: Already included in our collection
    2) Red: Neither scans nor transcriptions found
    3) Yellow: Scans and/or transcriptions found. Could possibly add to our collection

For the stories without scans but with transcriptions, I don't know what the rules are. Can we include them even though we can't confirm their publication date or the quality of the transcriptions?

A few things of note:
    1) I found scans for "After the Game", Sleeping Beauty", and "Weekly Short Story" which were missing scan links in our repo. I highlighted those in yellow. We might want to re-proofread them
    2) Most of the scans come from https://texashistory.unt.edu/. Since we've switched everything to archive/hathi/google, I'm guessing I'll need to upload them to archive.org. I have every scan downloaded so I'll upload them if needed
    3) Some of the scans that are missing transcriptions are really low quality. We might be able to work together to figure out what every word is, but maybe not
    4) There are a few stories from The Yellow Jacket which he did not sign, but people attribute to him for a variety of reasons. I marked those with "Authorship uncertain" in the notes. I say we include them anyway. We could add an endnote on the title just saying "Authorship of this story is uncertain." or something
    5) There are a few writings published in The Golden Caliph and The Right Hook but without scans/transcriptions it's impossible to tell which are short fiction vs essay vs poem. I didn't include any on this list (we can't add them anyway since we don't have scans/transcriptions)

I don't know if anybody would actually care about reading any of these really early stories written in high school, but I guess we should still include them for completeness sake.

Last chance for somebody to take these! If not, I'll do it. Though I'm not a huge Robert E. Howard fan to be honest...

Alex Cabal

Jan 26, 2023, 12:53:23 AM1/26/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If you find transcriptions but not scans, we can only accept Project
Gutenberg. Anything else we can't accept.

For the questionable attribution stories, let's just leave those out for
now.

For the juvenalia, I'm kind of on the fence. We included Lovecraft's
juvenalia in his collection, for completeness' sake. But, now I feel
like unless juvenalia is especially notable it's not really interesting
enough to include, and may give the wrong impression since we don't
really separate it from the other works in a collection.
> [...]
>>> <forlackofa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a huge amount more short stories that wiki now says
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Howard_bibliography>
>>> are in the public domain, though this still seems to be all
>>> the PD Conan stories. Can I suggest that Howard get the
>>> Wodehouse treatment with multiple omnibuses based on the
>>> content? There's several dozen boxing stories alone, not to
>>> mention the westerns, historicals, horror stories, etc. It
>>> looks like wiki has done a lot of the work of sorting out the
>>> split between these stories, and wikisource has most of them.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

Jan 26, 2023, 1:37:39 PM1/26/23
to Standard Ebooks
For the general reader, I would think most juvenilia isn't all that interesting. If I opened up a Robert E. Howard collection and the first short story was "Letter of a Chinese Student", a (probably offensive) "humorous" story written from the perspective of a new Chinese student who just came to the US, I feel like I'd be disappointed. It seems so far removed from the author as he's currently known, that it might just as well not be written by him.

The problem, of course, is what counts as "notable" enough to include. "The Alchemist" by Lovecraft for example, seems good to include. It feels "Lovecraftian", for lack of a better word, and that it would actually interest somebody opening up his short story collection. I included all of Bradbury's juvenilia in his collection too, and I think they belong in the collection. They feel like Bradbury stories.

The easiest thing to do for us is to include all of them. In that case, we could make a special "Juvenilia" section in the table of contents possibly? So readers are at least aware that they're reading very early stories.

The more difficult thing would be for producers to have some responsibility in choosing which stories belong and which don't. But this also has its obvious issues.

I can't really decide which I prefer.

Alex Cabal

Jan 26, 2023, 3:33:42 PM1/26/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Well, Robert E Howard wasn't famous for his progressive and inoffensive
writing, that's for sure. I'm not surprised his juvenalia follows a
similar track.

What I would like to avoid is having to make editorial decisions on what
to include or not include. Especially if those decisions rest on "does
it offend me" or "does it feel like something else they wrote".

I'm not crazy about having a separate "juvenalia" section of an ebook,
because usually we don't section collections otherwise. Most juvenalia
isn't included in compilations either, because it's understood to be
underdeveloped writing from a still-nascent writer.

As I mentioned, I included Lovecraft's for completeness' sake, but I
don't think his juvenalia was great either. I think a few other
collections also have juvenalia for that reason. I suppose we can
include it in Howard just to complete the trend. We always have the
option of removing it later if we decide to do that.
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/ <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/>
> >
> > The color scheme works like this:
> >     1) Green: Already included in our collection
> >     2) Red: Neither scans nor transcriptions found
> >     3) Yellow: Scans and/or transcriptions found. Could possibly
> add to
> > our collection
> >
> > For the stories without scans but with transcriptions, I don't
> know what
> > the rules are. Can we include them even though we can't confirm
> their
> > publication date or the quality of the transcriptions?
> >
> > A few things of note:
> >     1) I found scans for "After the Game", Sleeping Beauty", and
> > "Weekly Short Story" which were missing scan links in our repo. I
> > highlighted those in yellow. We might want to re-proofread them
> >     2) Most of the scans come from https://texashistory.unt.edu/
> <https://texashistory.unt.edu/>. Since
> > we've switched everything to archive/hathi/google, I'm guessing I'll
> > need to upload them to archive.org <http://archive.org>. I have
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bac0c82c-5734-416f-8f1c-93a73dfb66bdn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bac0c82c-5734-416f-8f1c-93a73dfb66bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

maticstric

Jan 29, 2023, 7:52:41 PM1/29/23
to Standard Ebooks
In that case, every story highlighted in yellow on the spreadsheet (as long as it's published 1927 and earlier) can be added. I've uploaded everything to archive.org (links in spreadsheet). The stories "After the Game", Sleeping Beauty", and "Weekly Short Story" should be re-proofed and have links to scans added to content.opf.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll actually have time to add these. But they have some permanent place now so I guess they'll be added whenever somebody feels like it.
Message has been deleted

Hendrik Kaiber

Jun 17, 2024, 3:56:18 PM (9 days ago) Jun 17
to Standard Ebooks
Hello. While I wait for Histories to be reviewed, I thought about adding some of Robert E. Howard's stories to the SE edition of Short Fiction. Project Gutenberg has added several since last time this project was updated, here is a list with some:
The Lost Race PG IA 1927 ~5,200 words
The Dream Snake PG IA 1928 ~2,700 words
The Hyena PG IA 1928 ~4,800 words
The Shadow Kingdom PG IA 1929 ~11,500 words
The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune PG IA 1929 ~3,300 words
Rattle of Bones PG IA 1929 ~2,500 words
Skull-Face PG IA part 1 IA part 2 IA part 3 1929 ~33,500 words
Skulls in the Stars PG  IA 1929 ~3,800 words
Gods of the North PG IA 1934 (reprint 1956) ~3,000 words
The Haunter of the Ring PG IA 1934 ~6,000 words
The Grisly Horror PG IA 1935 ~11,400 words
The fire of Asshurbanipal PG IA 1936 ~8,000 words
Black Hound of Death PG IA 1936 ~10,000 words
Black Canaan PG IA 1936 ~13,000 words
Dig me no Grave PG IA 1937 ~5,000 words
Total ~121,00 words

I believe most of them should go to Short Fiction, but Skull-Face might be long enough for its own production. Should I work on adding some or all of these stories to the omnibus?

-Hendrik

Alex Cabal

Jun 18, 2024, 11:23:43 AM (8 days ago) Jun 18
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Our cutoff for short/not short is 40k words so all of these fit under
"short". You can certainly add them to the existing collection as one
big PR. Remember we order shorts by date of publication, and to update
the spine, ToC, and colophon if necessary.

On 6/17/24 2:56 PM, Hendrik Kaiber wrote:
> [...]
>
> In that case, every story highlighted in yellow on the spreadsheet
> (as long as it's published 1927 and earlier) can be added. I've
> uploaded everything to archive.org <http://archive.org> (links in
> spreadsheet). The stories "After the Game", Sleeping Beauty", and
> "Weekly Short Story" should be re-proofed and have links to scans
> added to content.opf.
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/ <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/ <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/ <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IldpmxjK06BxPL4CCOEJZpw_bxm4AhYnrTchS03QP3k/>>
> <http://archive.org <http://archive.org>>. I have
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e30aa42-ead2-4b04-8df4-7859fa31c9e1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.
> >
> > --
> it, send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bac0c82c-5734-416f-8f1c-93a73dfb66bdn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bac0c82c-5734-416f-8f1c-93a73dfb66bdn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bac0c82c-5734-416f-8f1c-93a73dfb66bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bac0c82c-5734-416f-8f1c-93a73dfb66bdn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/544cbf5c-b02f-44e9-a5c7-73a87723b9fcn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/544cbf5c-b02f-44e9-a5c7-73a87723b9fcn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Hendrik Kaiber

Jun 20, 2024, 8:16:53 PM (6 days ago) Jun 20
to Standard Ebooks
I finished most of the formatting work, and will now begin proofreading.

While I do that, I have a few questions:

1- Se lint returns error c-006, saying that <abbr epub:type="se:era"> and <blockquote epub:type="epigraph z3998:verse">  have no styles in local.css, however there seems to be appropriate CSS in se.css, I'm missing something?

2- In The Grisly Horror there is an instance of a telegram that I formatted with z3998:letter; in the original text the sender has the name in the left, however the standard style has it on the right, which one do I use?

3- For now, all stories I added are considered short-stories in the <article> element, which is the amount of words necessary for a work to be considered a novella?

I should finished proofreading in a few days.

-Hendrik

Alex Cabal

Jun 21, 2024, 4:03:31 PM (5 days ago) Jun 21
On 6/20/24 7:16 PM, Hendrik Kaiber wrote:
> I finished most of the formatting work, and will now begin proofreading.
>
> While I do that, I have a few questions:
>
> 1- /Se lint/ returns error c-006, saying that <abbr epub:type="se:era">
> and <blockquote epub:type="epigraph z3998:verse">  have no styles
> in/local.css/, however there seems to be appropriate CSS in /se.css/,
> I'm missing something?

Open a file in a browser to see if those style are actually being applied.

> 2- In /The Grisly Horror/ there is an instance of a telegram that I
> formatted with /z3998:letter/; in the original text the sender has the
> name in the left, however the standard style has it on the right, which
> one do I use?

You can follow the scans.

> 3- For now, all stories I added are considered /short-stories/ in the
> <article> element, which is the amount of words necessary for a work to
> be considered a /novella/?

Use `se word-count --categorize` on the file to figure out what it is.