Sister Carrie

Vince

Sep 18, 2021, 3:34:34 PM9/18/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I’m going to work on this next.

There are two versions in PG, one fairly early (233), and one later (5267). The later one matches the later scans of the novel, so it’s the one I’m going to use. The differences are minimal, mostly centered around a few lines in a paragraph in the first chapter (which Dreiser apparently revised between the 1900 Doubleday edition that didn’t sell and the 1907 edition that all subsequent editions have followed), and a few places where dialog is started as separate paragraphs.

The larger text differences I alluded to in my other message are out of scope. Apparently, a large chunk of material (36K words, almost 20% of the total) was cut from the novel very early on. There’s debate about the why’s and wherefore’s, but what’s universally acknowledged is that Dreiser approved the cuts. However, the “cleanup” after the cuts either wasn’t done at all or was poorly done, and so there are some inconsistencies in the “standard” text. You can read more about it in this article on JSTOR. The so-called “Pennsylvania text” was (is?) quite controversial. Almost all modern editions of the novel still use the 1907 text.

Alex Cabal

Sep 19, 2021, 2:42:31 PM9/19/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. We should probably just stick with the 1907 text, though that is
interesting information that you could put in the long description.

On 9/18/21 2:34 PM, Vince wrote:
> I’m going to work on this next.
>
> There are two versions in PG, one fairly early (233), and one later
> (5267). The later one matches the later scans of the novel, so it’s the
> one I’m going to use. The differences are minimal, mostly centered
> around a few lines in a paragraph in the first chapter (which Dreiser
> apparently revised between the 1900 Doubleday edition that didn’t sell
> and the 1907 edition that all subsequent editions have followed), and a
> few places where dialog is started as separate paragraphs.
>
> The larger text differences I alluded to in my other message are out of
> scope. Apparently, a large chunk of material (36K words, almost 20% of
> the total) was cut from the novel very early on. There’s debate about
> the why’s and wherefore’s, but what’s universally acknowledged is that
> Dreiser approved the cuts. However, the “cleanup” after the cuts either
> wasn’t done at all or was poorly done, and so there are some
> inconsistencies in the “standard” text. You can read more about it in
> this article <https://www.jstor.org/stable/27746376> on JSTOR. The
> so-called “Pennsylvania text” was (is?) quite controversial. Almost all
> modern editions of the novel still use the 1907 text.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5E013D68-FF45-4C9F-9234-0C2C61EF43A9%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5E013D68-FF45-4C9F-9234-0C2C61EF43A9%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Sep 19, 2021, 4:22:15 PM9/19/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
How about this for the cover? It’s of a New York street in winter in the right time period, and the center character could be Carrie after she makes it big. Much of the book takes place in New York, with several mentions of snow and snowstorms. PD proof here.

Alex Cabal

Sep 19, 2021, 9:10:56 PM9/19/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That works!
> <https://www.artic.edu/artworks/60294/new-york-street>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E41ABBC3-2BB6-42A1-9678-0912252D7BB8%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/E41ABBC3-2BB6-42A1-9678-0912252D7BB8%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Sep 30, 2021, 1:04:15 AM9/30/21
to Standard Ebooks
Few wrap-up questions.

1. Do we want to modernize “none the less” to nonetheless (per M-W)?

2. There are a couple of instances of four words in a row being obscured. The scans use a different-sized dash for the first three words compared to the last, perhaps to give a hint. Should I just use our standard 3em-dash four times in a row, or …?

3. The quotes around ‘broke’ seem to be an artifact of the times; OK to get rid of them?

Alex Cabal

Sep 30, 2021, 12:08:51 PM9/30/21
On 9/30/21 12:04 AM, Vince wrote:
> Few wrap-up questions.
>
> 1. Do we want to modernize “none the less” to nonetheless (per M-W)?

No, you can leave it

> 2. There are a couple of instances of four words in a row being
> obscured. The scans use a different-sized dash for the first three words
> compared to the last, perhaps to give a hint. Should I just use our
> standard 3em-dash four times in a row, or …?

I suppose you can use a regular em dash for the short words

> 3. The quotes around ‘broke’ seem to be an artifact of the times; OK to
> get rid of them?

Yes

Vince

Oct 8, 2021, 7:25:36 PM10/8/21
to Standard Ebooks
I believe Sister Carrie is ready for review.

Note that typogrify makes unwanted changes to the consecutive dashes for obscured words in chapter 41.

Alex Cabal

Oct 8, 2021, 9:02:57 PM10/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Bruce can you review this?

On 10/8/21 6:25 PM, Vince wrote:
> I believe /Sister Carrie/
> <https://github.com/vr8hub/theodore-dreiser_sister-carrie> is ready for
> review.
>
> Note that typogrify makes unwanted changes to the consecutive dashes for
> obscured words in chapter 41.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A26C24B0-84EC-46A1-AAB1-7A41676FC492%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A26C24B0-84EC-46A1-AAB1-7A41676FC492%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Oct 11, 2021, 1:30:04 PM10/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I guess Bruce is away, I'll review this shortly

On 10/8/21 6:25 PM, Vince wrote:
> I believe /Sister Carrie/
> <https://github.com/vr8hub/theodore-dreiser_sister-carrie> is ready for
> review.
>
> Note that typogrify makes unwanted changes to the consecutive dashes for
> obscured words in chapter 41.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A26C24B0-84EC-46A1-AAB1-7A41676FC492%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/A26C24B0-84EC-46A1-AAB1-7A41676FC492%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

B Keith

Oct 11, 2021, 2:47:57 PM10/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry Alex, I missed that in the hustle and bustle.

I can do if you want or leave it to you.

Bruce
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Oct 11, 2021, 2:52:05 PM10/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, go ahead. thanks!

B Keith

Oct 11, 2021, 4:52:37 PM10/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hey Vince,

I am still looking though the files but… when I ran build-toc it changed the landmarks in the toc.xhtml file.

from:
to:

I am at loss as to why. Does it do that for you too?

Bruce
_________

On Oct 8, 2021, at 5:25 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:

I believe Sister Carrie is ready for review.

Note that typogrify makes unwanted changes to the consecutive dashes for obscured words in chapter 41.

Vince

Oct 11, 2021, 5:04:47 PM10/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Because I’m an idiot? :) I had Nonfiction as the SE subject (why, you ask, and there is no answer…), and apparently build-toc uses that in the process.
I just pushed a change to fix the metadata. Sorry about that.

B Keith

Oct 11, 2021, 5:09:06 PM10/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Ah that did it.  Who knew the SE subjects were so powerful :-)

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

B Keith

Oct 11, 2021, 6:30:44 PM10/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Looks pretty darn good. A few small errors logged in issues.

I love the cover!

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
On Oct 8, 2021, at 5:25 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org> wrote:

I believe Sister Carrie is ready for review.

Note that typogrify makes unwanted changes to the consecutive dashes for obscured words in chapter 41.

B Keith

Oct 11, 2021, 7:05:22 PM10/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Alex,

This should be good to go barring an decision from you about putting non-breaking spaces between M-dashes between obscured words.

Bruce

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Vince

Oct 11, 2021, 11:03:49 PM10/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
I just pushed the other fixes, based on your answers, this should be ready to go.

B Keith

Oct 12, 2021, 9:55:57 AM10/12/21
to Standard Ebooks
Looks good!

Bruce
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Alex Cabal

Oct 13, 2021, 1:46:57 PM10/13/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, everything looks good and I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks!