se tool issues on Ubuntu 22.04?

king....@gmail.com

May 12, 2022, 2:52:45 PM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Updated Ubuntu, now having trouble with the se tools, including attempts to update or reinstall. Before I troubleshoot further, are there known issues?
Thanks.
- Paul

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 3:34:37 PM5/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tested it on 22.04 but there's no obvious reason why it
shouldn't work. Without actual error messages there's no telling.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fe78bc72-9714-4c05-9243-6922ecfe0938n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fe78bc72-9714-4c05-9243-6922ecfe0938n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

king....@gmail.com

May 12, 2022, 7:44:54 PM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Here is what I am seeing.
------------------
$se --version
    se: command not found

$pipx upgrade standardebooks
    Package is not installed. Expected to find /home/systemuser/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks, but it does not exist.

$pipx install standardebooks
    Fatal error from pip prevented installation. Full pip output in file:
        /home/systemuser/.local/pipx/logs/cmd_2022-05-12_17.59.54_pip_errors.log

tail /home/systemuser/.local/pipx/logs/cmd_2022-05-12_17.59.54_pip_errors.log
    PIP STDOUT
    ----------
    PIP STDERR
    ----------
    /home/systemuser/.local/pipx/venvs/standardebooks/bin/python: No module named pip

$pip
    Usage:
      pip <command> [options]

$pipx
    usage: pipx [-h] ...

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 7:50:36 PM5/12/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

François Grandjean

May 13, 2022, 12:33:54 AM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
That happened to me back when I used Ubuntu. I don’t remember the details but major Python updates are typically applied with the new version and pipx doesn’t like it—other virtual environment also experience similar. There might be a better way but I ended up solving it by deleting the pipx folder and reinstalling the standardebooks package.

king....@gmail.com

May 13, 2022, 8:23:32 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thank you, Francois. That worked.

cd ~/.local
rm -r pipx
pipx install standardebooks
se --version
    2.3.10

Animesh Baranawal

Sep 7, 2022, 1:21:34 PM9/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
Can this be added on the github standardebooks tools page?
I upgraded to Ubuntu 22 recently and faced the same issue.
The above solution worked for me as well.

-Animesh

John Rambow

Sep 9, 2022, 10:24:41 AM9/9/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Just chiming in to agree it would be helpful to add, and thanks, François.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/14a4d2d7-5919-4c6d-9afb-11119c4d1207n%40googlegroups.com.