[First Project] Galactic Patrol by E.E. Smith

J. J. Ulm

May 21, 2023, 6:11:07 PM5/21/23
to Standard Ebooks
Based on Project Gutenberg's listings, it looks like some more of the Lensman series has become Public Domain since the last time someone here was working on them, so I'm interested in cutting my teeth on the next book in the series, Galactic Patrol. I've done editorial work for a small fiction publisher, I'm learning to work with Linux/Unix tools, and I have a passion for media preservation, so I'm looking forward to taking on this project!

Project Gutenberg listing: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/68815

-J.J.

Alex Cabal

May 22, 2023, 12:30:26 PM5/22/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

You can cut all the illustrations. The chapters are numbered except for
chapter 1, so just add the number to our edition. Otherwise this should
be pretty straightforward. Cover art for sci fi works can be tough.
Usually we go for an abstract geometric/cubist/futurist painting. There
are some resources in the manual linking to known art books in that
style that you can try browsing through.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71fbbb74-f286-425f-921d-9e95ac8cf1ffn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71fbbb74-f286-425f-921d-9e95ac8cf1ffn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

J. J. Ulm

May 31, 2023, 10:11:55 PM5/31/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I've got my repository up at https://github.com/jjulm/e-e-smith_galactic-patrol -- I'll be going slow for a bit while I get the hang of the project standards, though the writing style is reasonably modern so I shouldn't run into too many weird formatting problems. I'll poke someone if I run into anything not covered in the style guide!

-JJ

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ac80b526-c964-4b92-fc4d-700938c08bbf%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jun 1, 2023, 12:03:59 AM6/1/23
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Emma can you manage this with Vince reviewing?

On 5/31/23 9:11 PM, J. J. Ulm wrote:
> [...]
> writing style is reasonably modern so I shouldn't run into too many
> weird formatting problems. I'll poke someone if I run into anything not
> covered in the style guide!
>
> -JJ
>
> On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 12:30 PM Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>
> Great, that one would be a good start.
>
> You can cut all the illustrations. The chapters are numbered except for
> chapter 1, so just add the number to our edition. Otherwise this should
> be pretty straightforward. Cover art for sci fi works can be tough.
> Usually we go for an abstract geometric/cubist/futurist painting. There
> are some resources in the manual linking to known art books in that
> style that you can try browsing through.
>
> Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
> as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
> particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
> and typography sections:
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual <https://standardebooks.org/manual>
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics>
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns>
>
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography>
>
> The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:
>
> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71fbbb74-f286-425f-921d-9e95ac8cf1ffn%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71fbbb74-f286-425f-921d-9e95ac8cf1ffn%40googlegroups.com> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71fbbb74-f286-425f-921d-9e95ac8cf1ffn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/71fbbb74-f286-425f-921d-9e95ac8cf1ffn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ac80b526-c964-4b92-fc4d-700938c08bbf%40standardebooks.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ac80b526-c964-4b92-fc4d-700938c08bbf%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABQHJVWFJB4QPa8ZuKaP9y6EkQN7Rr72hyw82FjjXNBApbUWZA%40mail.gmail.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CABQHJVWFJB4QPa8ZuKaP9y6EkQN7Rr72hyw82FjjXNBApbUWZA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Jun 1, 2023, 12:15:26 AM6/1/23
to Standard Ebooks
I can manage.

Emma

Jennifer Ulm

Jul 20, 2023, 8:04:13 PM7/20/23
to Standard Ebooks
Apologies for the delay, I haven't forgotten about this, my life just went a little off the rails right after I started it! I'm going to go over the style guide again as a refresher and should be back at it soon.

-JJ