[Next Project] Zuñi Folk Tales by Frank Hamilton Cushing

David Elwell

Oct 17, 2022, 2:14:31 PM10/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
I see Zuñi Folk Tales on the wanted list. I'd like to make it my next project. Do we have to exclude the illustrations?

Alex Cabal

Oct 17, 2022, 4:34:31 PM10/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great! Yes, no illustrations please.

Weijia, can you manage this with Robin reviewing?

On 10/17/22 1:14 PM, David Elwell wrote:
> I see Zuñi Folk Tales on the wanted list. I'd like to make it my next
> project. Do we have to exclude the illustrations?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8678c0d1-5341-481c-ac52-30699d474575n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8678c0d1-5341-481c-ac52-30699d474575n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Oct 17, 2022, 4:34:48 PM10/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Also can you send a link to your repo once you get started? Thanks!

On 10/17/22 1:14 PM, David Elwell wrote:
> I see Zuñi Folk Tales on the wanted list. I'd like to make it my next
> project. Do we have to exclude the illustrations?

Weijia Cheng

Oct 17, 2022, 4:42:36 PM10/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, I can manage!

Robin Whittleton

Oct 17, 2022, 4:59:12 PM10/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Happy to review.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f82e56b7-5940-5b80-aeff-92093c07c451%40standardebooks.org.

David Elwell

Oct 17, 2022, 5:51:26 PM10/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Will do.

Anthony J. Bentley

Oct 17, 2022, 9:42:04 PM10/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
We probably want to update Zuñi to Zuni. Wikipedia’s “Zuni people” and “Zuni language” pages both specifically describe Zuñi as a former spelling. Having lived thirty years in New Mexico, I don’t recall ever seeing Zuni spelled with ñ (an otherwise very commonly used letter here) except in old books.

David Elwell

Oct 17, 2022, 10:24:54 PM10/17/22
to Standard Ebooks

Anthony

About changing "Zuñi" to "Zuni": Thanks for the early catch. The word appears a few times in this book. Merriam-Webster online lists "Zuñi" as a "less commonly" variant. Should I go ahead and modernize it?

Weijia Cheng

Oct 17, 2022, 11:58:35 PM10/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
David, I agree with Anthony and think you should go ahead and modernize Zuñi to Zuni.

Since you're going to have to change the title, and you've just started the project, I would use create-draft to create a new repository with the correct title.

David Elwell

Oct 18, 2022, 9:14:47 AM10/18/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. I'll modernize "Folk Tales" to "Folktales" while I'm at it.

Weijia Cheng

Oct 18, 2022, 9:39:27 AM10/18/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alright, you can modernize to "Folktales." It tracks with Google Ngrams and Merriam-Webster.

David Elwell

Oct 19, 2022, 10:15:39 PM10/19/22
to Standard Ebooks

David Elwell

Nov 16, 2022, 10:00:40 PM11/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Weijia—

I have mislabeled my November 14 commits, which should have been tagged [Editorial].

They're on Github already. Is there any way to fix the heads of the editorial commits?

Am I correct that it's impossible/too late/bad practice to revise the heads? If so, may I proceed with the current heads and promise to behave from here on?

C T

Nov 16, 2022, 10:07:13 PM11/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can rebase your local repo, and do a git push -f to force your changes to overwrite the target. be *careful* when doing this. It's good to make a local backup before you start your rebase in case something goes wrong.

David at Standard Ebooks

Nov 16, 2022, 10:08:59 PM11/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
git rebase is your friend for this. I used to be terrified of it, but once I got the hang of it I love it.

You'll need to use a git push --force to overwrite the github versions.

Weijia Cheng

Nov 16, 2022, 10:47:38 PM11/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, if the only problem is that the commit needs to be renamed to an editorial commit, it is a very easy fix. Let me know if you want detailed instructions on how to rebase.

Weijia Cheng

Nov 16, 2022, 10:48:55 PM11/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
I should rephrase that, very easy relative to other rebases you could be doing. :) Rebasing is scary though so I am happy to provide step-by-step instructions if you need them.

David Elwell

Nov 17, 2022, 9:37:54 AM11/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Time for me to learn some more about Git!

I'll read up on rebasing in the documentation and see whether my nerves calm down. I'll let you know if I'm still stuck.

Thanks to all for the tips.

David Elwell

Nov 17, 2022, 9:51:29 PM11/17/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
[Editorial] tag successfully added to heads, rebased and pushed. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Onward.

David Elwell

Nov 26, 2022, 9:32:23 PM11/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
The introduction ends with a signature and dateline:
ZuniTales_p_xvii.png
The only SE dateline semantic categories are diary and letter. How should I tag this introduction's dateline?

David at Standard Ebooks

Nov 26, 2022, 10:32:23 PM11/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
I wouldn't tag it at all, other than perhaps giving it a <time datetime="1901-11"> tag.
On 27 Nov 2022 at 1:32 PM +1100, David Elwell <d...@towardperfect.com>, wrote:
The introduction ends with a signature and dateline:

Weijia Cheng

Nov 27, 2022, 1:18:10 AM11/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Agreed, just giving it a time datetime="1901-11"> tag as David suggested is fine.

David Elwell

Nov 30, 2022, 8:39:30 PM11/30/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Done. Thank you.