The Three Musketeers

瀏覽次數:114 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年10月11日 下午4:40:432019/10/11
收件者:Standard Ebooks
I propose to work on the Three Musketeers next. It took me a while to find page scans which actually match up with the Gutenberg transcription but I've found some.

Hopefully no one else is working on this just now.

Michael

訊息已遭刪除

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年10月13日 下午2:28:512019/10/13
收件者:Standard Ebooks
Some potential cover art:

cover.png

which is a crop of "The Night Watch" by Rembrandt

Declared as PD by the Rijksmuseum: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-C-5

Michael

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年10月14日 中午12:19:122019/10/14
收件者:Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

未讀,
2019年10月15日 晚上11:08:212019/10/15
收件者:standar...@googlegroups.com
So IIRC the problem with Three Musketeers is that the only PD
translation is a very bad one, possibly abridged or Bowdlerized (I can't
exactly recall right now). I wanted to work on that a while ago but
decided not to do it because I would rather not have the book at all,
than distribute a translation that is widely considered to be poor.

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年10月16日 凌晨4:05:232019/10/16
收件者:Standard Ebooks
Ok,

For reference I've been working off the Robson translation which is considered better than the Barrow one.

https://literarytransgressions.wordpress.com/2010/05/07/rereadings-a-dumas-first-chapter-in-translations/

Discussions online suggests that there are less smudgings of this translation to suit Victorian tastes but I think there will still be some such as the keeping of 'pardieuc instead of 'by god' which can be dealt with.

I don't think a PD edition that has no editing at all is likely to be forthcoming :-(

It is a book which is high up the Gutenberg downloads list so is likely to be of interest to readers who are looking for a nicer looking read.

Happy for this not to see the light of day as I tend to produce what I want to read and want to read things that look nice :-)

Yours

Michael

Alex Cabal

未讀,
2019年10月20日 下午5:38:412019/10/20
收件者:standar...@googlegroups.com
Which is the one on PG? Last I looked (years ago) PG had the the only PD
transcription I could find and the translation was really bad.

Where did you find the alternate translation? Can you send a link to
page scans or the transcription so that I can take a look?

I would love to have 3M in theory but I just want to make sure it's a
decent translation. A bad translation widely distributed is worse than
no translation at all.

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年10月21日 凌晨2:23:482019/10/21
收件者:Standard Ebooks
The Gutenberg transcription is at https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1257 and the first part of the page scans is at https://archive.org/details/threemusketeers02dumagoog

As I've said though, happy for this not to see the light of day.

Michael

Alex Cabal

未讀,
2019年10月21日 上午8:21:222019/10/21
收件者:standar...@googlegroups.com
Interestingly, with this year's copyright rollover we have a 1923
translation available: https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/101948361

At a glance it is clearly very different from Robson. It's by a guy from
University of Chicago which gives it some weight. The question is, is
this translation abridged for younger readers? It still clocks in at
nearly 600 pages!

What do you think of this translation? Can you find any opinions of it
online?

In any case it would be a good source for cover art, if you can find
acceptable color scans. Milo Winter did some good stuff.

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年10月21日 下午1:23:582019/10/21
收件者:Standard Ebooks
I believe this one is a translation for younger readers.

The preface from the translator discusses the type of omissions which he has made and describes his translation as "a pruning"

Michael

Alex Cabal

未讀,
2019年10月21日 下午3:54:282019/10/21
收件者:standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, got it. In that case, let's go with Robson. If scholarly opinion is
that it's OK, and there isn't another PD translation in the immediate
horizon, then let's do it.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d9597f4d-fdba-4471-a37e-14a1905ba50c%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d9597f4d-fdba-4471-a37e-14a1905ba50c%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年12月6日 下午3:56:292019/12/6
收件者:Standard Ebooks
Two options for cover art - both cropped from the same high-res scan:

which is a crop of "The Night Watch" by Rembrandt

Declared as PD by the Rijksmuseum: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-C-5

cover1.png

cover2.png

Michael

Vince Rice

未讀,
2019年12月6日 下午4:09:322019/12/6
收件者:Standard Ebooks
The first one looks better to me.

Alex Cabal

未讀,
2019年12月6日 下午4:21:042019/12/6
收件者:standar...@googlegroups.com
Both look really good. I like the second one as it has a little more of
an action vibe. But either one works, you pick.

On 12/6/19 2:56 PM, Michael Atkinson wrote:
> Two options for cover art - both cropped from the same high-res scan:
>
> which is a crop of "The Night Watch" by Rembrandt
>
> Declared as PD by the Rijksmuseum:
> https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-C-5
> <https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/SK-C-5>
>
> cover1.png
>
> cover2.png
>

> Michael
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90d75614-b978-43ff-9e33-a8fed01f09e9%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/90d75614-b978-43ff-9e33-a8fed01f09e9%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

未讀,
2019年12月6日 下午4:33:092019/12/6
收件者:Standard Ebooks
Second for me, as Alex say it has more action, and it’s definitely three figures.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3c40b06e-abd5-7baa-f65c-5901c433a4b2%40standardebooks.org.

Michael Atkinson

未讀,
2019年12月7日 清晨5:45:522019/12/7
收件者:Standard Ebooks
I've gone with the second cover and so this is ready for review.

I have not split the work into two volumes since, although the sources are printed into two volumes there is no real agreement about where the volume divisions should be - they seem to just be a convenience for printing at the time rather than a clear intent from the author. Gutenberg took the same line.

Michael

Alex Cabal

未讀,
2019年12月9日 下午6:36:562019/12/9
收件者:standar...@googlegroups.com
Great production, I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks Michael!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7290c853-7e54-447b-9334-a2ee6818a2fc%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7290c853-7e54-447b-9334-a2ee6818a2fc%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ncz...@gmail.com

未讀,
2021年4月14日 凌晨2:41:492021/4/14
收件者:Standard Ebooks
In the Conclusion, there's an uncapitalized "La Rochelle" - "...a man coming from la Rochelle on horseback..."

Alex Cabal

未讀,
2021年4月14日 上午11:18:172021/4/14
收件者:standar...@googlegroups.com