[new project] Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope

David Grigg

Aug 22, 2021, 9:16:19 PM8/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
This is the next in Trollope's series of the "Barchester Chronicles", following The Warden and Barchester Towers, which we've already produced.

So I thought I would tackle it next (hopefully taking a good deal less time than Little Dorrit.)

Alex Cabal

Aug 22, 2021, 9:17:18 PM8/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
If this is a series, can you add the series metadata to the existing ones?

On 8/22/21 8:16 PM, David Grigg wrote:
> This is the next in Trollope's series of the "Barchester Chronicles",
> following /The Warden/ and /Barchester Towers/, which we've already
> produced.
>
> So I thought I would tackle it next (hopefully taking a good deal less
> time than /Little Dorrit/.)
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1370ea6e-d872-4bb9-b76b-8d0230ae91b2n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1370ea6e-d872-4bb9-b76b-8d0230ae91b2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

Aug 22, 2021, 10:10:00 PM8/22/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, will do.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5ead9c1a-ac7d-fd4c-79e8-bd617ccb0583%40standardebooks.org.

David Grigg

Aug 22, 2021, 11:58:05 PM8/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
What do you think about this for the cover?

The cover for the Standard Ebooks edition of Doctor Thorne, by Anthony Trollope 2021-08-23 13-54-12.jpg

It's "The Doctor" by Luke Fildes. PD proof: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/njp.32101067620086?urlappend=%3Bseq=6

Alex Cabal

Aug 23, 2021, 12:19:07 AM8/23/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great find, thanks!

On 8/22/21 10:58 PM, David Grigg wrote:
> What do you think about this for the cover?
>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1370ea6e-d872-4bb9-b76b-8d0230ae91b2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1370ea6e-d872-4bb9-b76b-8d0230ae91b2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5ead9c1a-ac7d-fd4c-79e8-bd617ccb0583%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5ead9c1a-ac7d-fd4c-79e8-bd617ccb0583%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3003cb0b-14bb-4e24-a0a7-baf57af76831n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3003cb0b-14bb-4e24-a0a7-baf57af76831n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David

Aug 23, 2021, 3:13:02 AM8/23/21
to Standard Ebooks
Wonderful! Trollope is a particular favourite of mine, and I have a good number of favourite Trollopes, Dr Thorne among them!

Do you know Michael Sadleir's Commentary on Trollope, David? (I expect so ... so this is "just in case"...!) He opined, “With Doctor Thorne Trollope had definitely found himself...” (p. 384). Sadleir devotes several pages to Dr Thorne. Here's how that section sets off:

“Trollope himself, although he clung ... to his affection for this book of reminiscence [The Three Clerks], must during 1857 have had a vision of his real writer’s destiny. How otherwise may be explained the sensational perfection of Dr Thorne, one of the five (in a technical sense) faultless books he was to write? In nearly every novel—even in novels so outstanding as The Small House at Allington, The Last Chronicle of Barset, the two chronicles of Phineas Finn, He Knew He Was Right, The Eustace Diamonds, The Vicar of Bullhampton, The Way We Live Now and Mr. Scarborough’s Family—it is impossible not to deplore a sub-plot or an exaggeration, a long-windedness or a more than normally aggressive repetition. But in five books—Doctor Thorne, The Belton Estate, The Claverings, Sir Harry Hotspur of Humblethwaite and Dr. Wortle’s School—though there may be an extreme of tranquillity there is not a loose end, not a patch of drowsiness, not a moment of false proportion.” (pp. 374ff.)

... and it goes on from there. :) Anyway, hope you'll enjoy preparing this one! If ever I get stuck into Standard Ebook production, it will be with further Trollopes in mind at some point. There's certainly plenty to choose from!

David [Edinburgh, UK]

Asher Smith

Aug 23, 2021, 4:22:16 AM8/23/21
to Standard Ebooks
Once you've added the series metadata, can you let me know so I can add a link to the collection to wiki? Cheers!

David Grigg

Aug 23, 2021, 6:14:34 AM8/23/21
to Standard Ebooks
Already done!

David Grigg

Sep 18, 2021, 1:00:57 AM9/18/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, I believe this is now ready for review:

Thanks to David of Edinburgh for the link to Michael Sadleir's interesting book on Trollope, from which I've quoted in the long description.

David Grigg

Sep 18, 2021, 1:12:23 AM9/18/21
to Standard Ebooks
Once this is released, I might roll on to Framley Parsonage,  the next book in the Barsetshire collection. I haven't read that one as yet.

Alex Cabal

Sep 18, 2021, 12:37:51 PM9/18/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Is there a better way to break up that quotation? Right now it doesn't
read as a complete sentence, just a series of fragments.

On 9/18/21 12:00 AM, David Grigg wrote:
> [...]
>> an extreme of tranquillity there is not a loose end, not a
>> patch of drowsiness, not a moment of false proportion.” (pp.
>> 374ff.
>> <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.522911/page/n401/mode/2up>)
>>
>> ... and it goes on from there. :) Anyway, hope you'll enjoy
>> preparing this one! If ever I get stuck into Standard Ebook
>> production, it will be with further Trollopes in mind at some
>> point. There's certainly plenty to choose from!
>>
>> David [Edinburgh, UK]
>>
>> On Monday, 23 August 2021 at 02:16:19 UTC+1 david...@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>>
>> This is the next in Trollope's series of the "Barchester
>> Chronicles", following /The Warden/ and /Barchester
>> Towers/, which we've already produced.
>>
>> So I thought I would tackle it next (hopefully taking a
>> good deal less time than /Little Dorrit/.)

David Grigg

Sep 18, 2021, 7:36:49 PM9/18/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I’ll have another look, I think I was being a bit too ambitious. Just the adjectival phrase “sensational perfection” might be enough.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/262134c7-33c3-238d-04fd-8d6da4fc86cb%40standardebooks.org.

David Grigg

Sep 18, 2021, 8:55:13 PM9/18/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, better now, I think. It just reads:

Doctor Thorne is regarded highly among Trollope’s works, with one prominent critic, Michael Sadleir, writing in 1927 of “the sensational perfection of Doctor Thorne.”

Alex Cabal

Sep 19, 2021, 1:49:15 PM9/19/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, great work as always. I've gone ahead and released it, thanks!