Manual 1.6.1 released

Alex Cabal

Jun 15, 2021, 3:06:32 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This is a minor version number change but an important release,
especially for our long-time contributors.

This release removes the last vestiges of unsemantic classes in favor of
z3998/se semantic vocabulary.

Of note:

- `<abbr class="time">` has been removed. Time abbreviations now have no
class or semantics.

- The little-used `<abbr class="state">` and `<abbr class="timezone">`
have been removed. You can use `z3998:place` instead of `state`.

- `<abbr class="postal">` has been replaced with `<abbr
epub:type="z3998:place">`.

- `<abbr class="degree">` has been replaced with `<abbr
epub:type="z3998:name-title">`.

- `<abbr class="initialism">` and `<abbr class="acronym">` have been
replaced with `<abbr epub:type="z3998:initialism">` and `<abbr
epub:type="z3998:acronym">`.

- `<abbr class="name">` has been replaced with the corresponding z3998
vocabulary items. `z3998:personal-name` is the high-level semantic for
all names of people. More specifically, `z3998:given-name` is for first
names. There are several other options but those are the ones you'll be
using most often. Examples:

<abbr epub:type="z3998:given-name">H. P.</abbr> Lovecraft

Sincerely, <abbr epub:type="z3998:personal-name">J. K. R.</abbr>

Your friend, <abbr epub:type="z3998:surname">D.</abbr>

- `<abbr class="temperature">`, `<abbr class="era">`, and "<abbr
class="compass">` have been replaced with the corresponding SE
vocabulary items. E.g., `<abbr epub:type='se:temperature">C</abbr>`

The only remaining use for classes is for unsemantic SE styles, like
`together`, `elision`, `full-page`, etc.

Vince

Jun 15, 2021, 3:28:45 PM6/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
Very timely, as I’m finalizing An American Tragedy.

I made the various changes, but lint now complains about almost all of the abbreviations with either a s-045 and/or t-032. The t-032’s are on postals that end a sentence, “John Doe, Franklin, TN.”

Alex Cabal

Jun 15, 2021, 3:31:11 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can ignore that for now. The new version of the tools, not yet
released, will deal with those correctly.

On 6/15/21 2:28 PM, Vince wrote:
> Very timely, as I’m finalizing /An American Tragedy/.
>
> I made the various changes, but lint now complains about almost all of
> the abbreviations with either a s-045 and/or t-032. The t-032’s are on
> postals that end a sentence, “John Doe, Franklin, TN.”
>

>> On Jun 15, 2021, at 2:06 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1D773ED5-1FC4-4B75-BFC2-5BF77CDA876C%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1D773ED5-1FC4-4B75-BFC2-5BF77CDA876C%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Jun 15, 2021, 3:42:12 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This all makes sense. How about class=“eoc”?

> On 15 Jun 2021, at 21:31, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> You can ignore that for now. The new version of the tools, not yet released, will deal with those correctly.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/79a96e87-21c4-0adb-4382-386f83705e02%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jun 15, 2021, 6:09:07 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think we'll leave that as a class, as it's more of a functional
internal label and I don't know if it's meaningful enough to call it a
semantic. Maybe TEI has some semantic label for them, but we aren't
including TEI-style semantics like for nouns, verbs, phrases, etc.