[Next Project] Smoky, the Cow Horse by Will James

Jason DeCock

May 7, 2022, 5:45:15 PM5/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
I figured I'd tackle some of the early Newbery Medal winners.

PG doesn't have a copy of it and the one on Faded Page is based on the 1929 version with color illustrations. I assume that it's ok to use that as long as we drop those illustrations before doing a commit.

As for the black and white illustrations, they don't seem to be important to the story so I assume I should remove them as well. However, they were done by the author specifically for the book, so I'm not sure.

There are a few inline images (cattle brands and the like) that will need to be turned into SVGs. Do you want me to convert Will Jame's signature that is included in the Preface or just convert that to text?

Vince

May 7, 2022, 8:07:17 PM5/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
Since the transcription is not PD, you’ll need to do a very careful proof to make sure the transcription matches the scans.

No illustrations that are not integral to the story, author-illustrated or not.

I would not think the actual signature is needed, but that’s Alex’s call.

Alex Cabal

May 7, 2022, 10:57:02 PM5/7/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Vince is right, you need to find pre-1927 page scans to proof against,
otherwise we can't do this right now. We don't know if the 1929 edition
is significantly different. Without scans to proof against, this will
have to wait a few years.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3e46ee74-97ba-445b-96ac-517d842ec54bn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3e46ee74-97ba-445b-96ac-517d842ec54bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

May 7, 2022, 11:46:33 PM5/7/22
to Standard Ebooks
The scans are pre-1927 (1926), it’s just the transcription that isn’t. So if he proofs against the scans, he should be OK, he just needs to a closer proof than normal.

Jason DeCock

May 8, 2022, 12:01:38 AM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
Right. I'll do a very close proof against the scans.

Jason DeCock

May 8, 2022, 12:05:33 AM5/8/22
to Standard Ebooks

Jason DeCock

May 12, 2022, 4:09:28 PM5/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
For the cover I'm thinking "Wild Horse Hunters" by Charles Russell. PD proof: https://books.google.com/books?id=Pngkk6Npwx0C&pg=RA14-PP3
cover-sample.jpg

Regarding the potential differences between versions that was talked about earlier, the only difference I spotted (that wasn't an obvious transcription error) between the source and the scans, is that the transcription broke the following into two sentences between "first year" and "the big buckskin" which seems like a good change:

It was there that Smoky took the lead and headed for the winter range where his mammy had put him thru that first year, the big buckskin followed till, glancing back over his withers he noticed that the mares and colts had left off and branched out another direction.

Should I keep that change? If so, is there anything that needs to be done other than include the transcriber's note ("Misspelled words and printer errors have been corrected. Where multiple spellings occur, majority use has been employed.") in the production notes?

A few other things I noticed:
  • Jerky is always wrapped in double quotes (eg. Rice and "jerky" was cooked in a small lard bucket). Should that be left as or removed like when italics are removed on modern words?
  • The em dash in the following sentence seems like it should be a comma: "The little horse realized somehow as he sized up the contraption that the end had come to all he’d enjoyed with the freedom he’d had, cool shades⁠—clear streams, and grassy ranges to all roam on as he pleased had been took away from him;"
  • The following punctuation is found throughout the book:
    • Semicolons followed by an em dash. Example: A hind hoof came up and caught that wolf right under a front leg close to the body and took that leg off of him like it’d been a tooth pick;⁠—another horse that’d come up from behind and hadn’t been reckoned with.
      These read like they should just be an em dash.
    • Periods followed by an em dash. Example: That hoof connected with his lower jaw as he made the turn and left that jaw hanging limp and plum useless.⁠—When the old pony looked back for the other wolves there was long grey hairs sticking between his teeth.
      These read like they should just be a period.

Alex Cabal

May 12, 2022, 10:34:36 PM5/12/22
On 5/12/22 3:09 PM, Jason DeCock wrote:
> For the cover I'm thinking "Wild Horse Hunters" by Charles Russell. PD
> proof:https://books.google.com/books?id=Pngkk6Npwx0C&pg=RA14-PP3
> cover-sample.jpg

That work!

> Should I keep that change?

Sure, that's fine.

> done other than include the transcriber's note ("Misspelled words and
> printer errors have been corrected. Where multiple spellings occur,
> majority use has been employed.") in the production notes?

You don't have to include that in the production notes. That's only for
our own notes.

> * Jerky is always wrapped in double quotes (eg. /Rice and "jerky" was
> cooked in a small lard bucket/). Should that be left as or removed
> like when italics are removed on modern words?

You can remove quotes

> * The em dash in the following sentence seems like it should be a
> comma: "The little horse realized somehow as he sized up the
> contraption that the end had come to all he’d enjoyed with the
> freedom he’d had, cool shades⁠—clear streams, and grassy ranges to
> all roam on as he pleased had been took away from him;"

I think the em dash should come after "had" and a comma should come
after "shades". Are all of the scans like the transcription?

> * The following punctuation is found throughout the book:
> o Semicolons followed by an em dash. Example:/A hind hoof came up
> and caught that wolf right under a front leg close to the body
> and took that leg off of him like it’d been a tooth
> pick;⁠—another horse that’d come up from behind and hadn’t been
> reckoned with.
> /These read like they should just be an em dash.
> //
> o Periods followed by an em dash. Example:/That hoof connected
> with his lower jaw as he made the turn and left that jaw hanging
> limp and plum useless.⁠—When the old pony looked back for the
> other wolves there was long grey hairs sticking between his teeth.
> /These read like they should just be a period.

At the moment we only change comma-em-dash. Everything else you can
leave as is.

Jason DeCock

May 13, 2022, 11:17:37 AM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
> > * The em dash in the following sentence seems like it should be a
> > comma: "The little horse realized somehow as he sized up the
> > contraption that the end had come to all he’d enjoyed with the
> > freedom he’d had, cool shades⁠—clear streams, and grassy ranges to
> > all roam on as he pleased had been took away from him;"
>
> I think the em dash should come after "had" and a comma should come
> after "shades". Are all of the scans like the transcription? https://github.com/jdecock/will-james_smoky-the-cowhorse

Yes, all the scans are like the transcription. I went ahead and made the change but I'm unclear as to whether this should be labelled as an [Editorial] change.

Alex Cabal

May 13, 2022, 11:18:33 AM5/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, make it editorial and the commit message should be something like
"fix probable printer's typo"
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ca3086ab-d46d-41b7-bb4e-566096321bf6n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ca3086ab-d46d-41b7-bb4e-566096321bf6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

May 13, 2022, 11:25:11 AM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

May 13, 2022, 5:22:02 PM5/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great work, nothing major to report. I changed the title to remove the
comma, and you need a <footer> element to wrap the signature in the
preface. When you do that, the lint complaint disappears so the ignore
file is no longer necessary.

Thanks!
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ca3086ab-d46d-41b7-bb4e-566096321bf6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ca3086ab-d46d-41b7-bb4e-566096321bf6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/56454ec7-e72e-4511-9bac-32e680e6dfa3n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/56454ec7-e72e-4511-9bac-32e680e6dfa3n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Jason DeCock

May 13, 2022, 5:32:29 PM5/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind in the future.