[Next Project] The American Crisis by Thomas Paine

Emma Sweeney

Apr 8, 2021, 5:36:46 PM4/8/21
to Standard Ebooks

Emma Sweeney

Apr 9, 2021, 11:53:41 AM4/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
I found two paintings by Childe Hassam that could work:

1.
cover1.jpg

2.
cover2.jpg

Emma

Alex Cabal

Apr 9, 2021, 4:42:19 PM4/9/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The first one is in use for Main Street. The 2nd one works. Thanks!

On 4/9/21 10:53 AM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> I found two paintings by Childe Hassam that could work:
>
> 1.
> cover1.jpg
> PD proof (2nd painting)
> <https://www.google.com/books/edition/CHILDE_HASSAM/M3v7wmDE170C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22Childe+Hassam%22&printsec=frontcover>
>
> 2.
> cover2.jpg
> PD proof (4th painting)
> <https://www.google.com/books/edition/CHILDE_HASSAM/M3v7wmDE170C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22Childe+Hassam%22&printsec=frontcover>
> <https://github.com/EmmaSweeney/thomas-paine_the-american-crisis>
>

> Emma
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e9c870d4-d1b8-4831-94cc-bfad91a91905n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e9c870d4-d1b8-4831-94cc-bfad91a91905n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 10, 2021, 8:39:55 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
What is the best way to add manicules/pointing hands? There is one at the end of Crisis 9.

Emma

David Grigg

Apr 10, 2021, 8:54:59 PM4/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
There’s some (in fact a lot) in Clarissa, and CSS supplied by Robin which handles them in a margin. Letter 229.

Regards,

David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0279b32f-f08b-4a15-8c41-b149b92b92a4n%40googlegroups.com.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 10, 2021, 9:03:01 PM4/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks!

Emma

Emma Sweeney

Apr 11, 2021, 1:58:05 PM4/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
There are two sets of footnotes in the page scans: the author's footnotes (stars) and the editor's footnotes (numbers). The PG transcription only includes the author's. Do I need to add the editor's footnotes?

Emma

Alex Cabal

Apr 11, 2021, 2:00:42 PM4/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'm adding them back in to Age of Reason. In Age of Reason at
least, *some* of the editor's notes are in the transcription.

Instead of citing him as "--Editor" in the notes themselves I cited him
as "--Conway" to make sure people don't think the SE editor added the notes.

Age of Reason also has some of Conway's notes attached inside of Paine's
notes. Those have to be pulled out into endnotes-within-endnotes and
numbered starting from the last endnote in endnotes.xhtml. So an endnote
that is within endnote 25 might be numbered at 80 for example.

On 4/11/21 12:58 PM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> There are two sets of footnotes in the page scans: the author's
> footnotes (stars) and the editor's footnotes (numbers). The PG
> transcription only includes the author's. Do I need to add the editor's
> footnotes?
>
> Emma
> On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 9:03:01 PM UTC-4 Emma Sweeney wrote:
>
> Thanks!
>
> Emma
> On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 8:54:59 PM UTC-4 david...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> There’s some (in fact a lot) in Clarissa, and CSS supplied by
> Robin which handles them in a margin. Letter 229.
>
> Regards,
>
> David
> On 11 Apr 2021, 10:39 AM +1000, Emma Sweeney
> <sween...@gmail.com>, wrote:
>> What is the best way to add manicules/pointing hands? There is
>> one at the end of Crisis 9
>> <https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.32044011378387&view=1up&seq=326>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e9c870d4-d1b8-4831-94cc-bfad91a91905n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/e9c870d4-d1b8-4831-94cc-bfad91a91905n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>
>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0279b32f-f08b-4a15-8c41-b149b92b92a4n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0279b32f-f08b-4a15-8c41-b149b92b92a4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b95366d1-0642-448e-9efc-fb78dd5e0b26n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b95366d1-0642-448e-9efc-fb78dd5e0b26n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 11, 2021, 2:14:10 PM4/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Ok, I’ll follow suit with Essays.

On 11 Apr 2021, at 20:00, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:

Yes, I'm adding them back in to Age of Reason. In Age of Reason at least, *some* of the editor's notes are in the transcription.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 11, 2021, 2:15:50 PM4/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Will do.
If we are converting "--Editor" to "--Conway." Can I also convert "--Author" to "--Paine"?

Emma

Alex Cabal

Apr 11, 2021, 2:17:23 PM4/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I just removed those entirely
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0279b32f-f08b-4a15-8c41-b149b92b92a4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0279b32f-f08b-4a15-8c41-b149b92b92a4n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b95366d1-0642-448e-9efc-fb78dd5e0b26n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b95366d1-0642-448e-9efc-fb78dd5e0b26n%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b95366d1-0642-448e-9efc-fb78dd5e0b26n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b95366d1-0642-448e-9efc-fb78dd5e0b26n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dede16d3-8e40-4e7e-a1b6-f948e2b4051fn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dede16d3-8e40-4e7e-a1b6-f948e2b4051fn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 11, 2021, 2:18:50 PM4/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sound good!

Emma

David Grigg

Apr 11, 2021, 7:32:46 PM4/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Same here with Rights of Man, then. I’m adding in all the missing Editor footnoted, but I’ll now flag them with the Editor’s surname.

One thing which is very helpful is that I discovered HathiTrust has a pretty clean OCR transcript of this work behind the “Text Only” version (maybe all of their publications?)

Robin Whittleton

Apr 12, 2021, 12:01:32 AM4/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I’ve used Hathi’s OCR a bunch with Short Fiction compilations. It’s pretty good in general, but it does still need shepherding.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 12, 2021, 5:25:16 PM4/12/21
to Standard Ebooks
Just a note for the others working on Paine:
I'm finding out that some of the paragraphs are merged in the PG transcription. I've separated them, like how they appear in the page scans.

Emma

Vince

Apr 12, 2021, 5:34:14 PM4/12/21
to Standard Ebooks
PG does that a lot. More often, I find they’ve created two paragraphs where there was only one originally. (Admittedly, sometimes the original paragraphs are a page or more in length, so breaking them up can make sense.)

Emma Sweeney

Apr 26, 2021, 2:06:02 PM4/26/21
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

Apr 26, 2021, 7:12:58 PM4/26/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, I've gone ahead and released it, great work!

Two notes for future reference: editors aren't dc:contributors and thus
don't appear in the identifier string/URL. Same for Twain (but leave
Twain alone for now, I've already fixed it in my local repo).

Secondly, tables that are tabulations of sums need font-variant:
tabular-nums; and totals go in a <tfoot> element.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c172bb06-071b-46ba-a55d-3b08a7e24b52n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c172bb06-071b-46ba-a55d-3b08a7e24b52n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 26, 2021, 7:23:45 PM4/26/21
to Standard Ebooks
> On Apr 26, 2021, at 6:12 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> wrote:
>
> Two notes for future reference: editors aren't dc:contributors and thus don't appear in the identifier string/URL. Same for Twain (but leave Twain alone for now, I've already fixed it in my local repo).

?? I’ve always added editors as dc:contributors, and they’ve never been part of the URL, and lint has never complained (including currently in Thoreau).
If they’re not dc:contributors, how should we include them?

Alex Cabal

Apr 26, 2021, 7:29:38 PM4/26/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I miswrote that. I meant that editors shouldn't be dc:creators,
but they SHOULD be dc:contributor

Vince

Apr 26, 2021, 7:32:26 PM4/26/21
to Standard Ebooks