[First Project] An Antarctic Mystery by Jules Verne

Sam Laws

May 11, 2021, 5:47:27 AM5/11/21
to Standard Ebooks

Hi,

I would like to get started on my first Standard eBooks project, I have chosen a Jules Verne book that I read from the Gutenberg EPUB earlier this year. It's on the list of suggested first projects but let me know if you wouldn't recommend it for any reason.

Thanks,
Sam

Alex Cabal

May 11, 2021, 4:13:42 PM5/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

I see there are some footnotes in there that will have to be converted
to endnotes. See the manual for examples.

Cut all of the illustrations. Note that they are not suitable for cover
art as they are black and white and not in a fine-art oil style.

There will be a lot of ship names--when italicizing them, you have to
add the semantic inflection `<i epub:type="se:name.vessel.ship">`

There will be lots of coordinates here--see the manual for typography
requirements. You will probably have to update most if not all of them
to match our standard.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fe729f89-22a0-41f7-84e8-93ba26180074n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/fe729f89-22a0-41f7-84e8-93ba26180074n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sam Laws

May 12, 2021, 11:41:14 AM5/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I have made a start, here is the link to my repo https://github.com/samlaws/jules-verne_an-antarctic-mystery

I think it's been smooth sailing (ha-ha) so far but I'm sure there will be things to change down the line.

Thanks,
Sam

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b6e5a3b6-a180-0ae3-72e9-3998bf4706c2%40standardebooks.org.

Sam Laws

May 13, 2021, 4:07:33 AM5/13/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi all,

Just wanted to check something, these are the scans I have been working from: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015046862747&view=1up&seq=2

In terms of copyright I would appreciate someone double checking for me, I can see "Public Domain, Google-digitized. " on the sidebar and then "PHILADELPHIA J. B. LIPPINCOTT COMPANY 1899" on the title page in the book itself but the actual copyright page is either missing or doesn't exist.

Could someone advise me on whether it is safe to proceed?

Thanks,
Sam

David Grigg

May 13, 2021, 4:10:55 AM5/13/21
to Standard Ebooks
That will be fine. So long as we know the book was printed before 1926, all is well.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/60b85582-5a96-44e8-bd37-a8195faf8706n%40googlegroups.com.

Sam Laws

May 13, 2021, 5:09:18 AM5/13/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thank you David, much appreciated!

Weijia Cheng

May 13, 2021, 10:21:10 AM5/13/21
to Standard Ebooks
Usually (I can't say always but usually) if a book has full-view on HathiTrust it is probably safe to use. I would double-check the scans for a copyright date before 1926 on Internet Archive since we have seen the past that they have miscategorized some books from after the PD cutoff as PD. But Alex can deliver the "official" line.

David Grigg

May 13, 2021, 7:36:27 PM5/13/21
to Standard Ebooks
If there’s a date on the title page of the book itself, that would suffice, I believe.

Sam Laws

May 17, 2021, 6:52:52 AM5/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks both, I am pretty confident the scans are safe to use so continuing with the rest of the production unless I am told otherwise.

I have reached the point where I am trying to find some artwork to use for the front cover and wow it is a lot harder than anything else so far! I am hoping for some tips or to hear someone else's thought process for selecting art.

I have found a painter (William Bradford) and a number of paintings that I believe would make a good cover:
So now I have tried to find some books with these paintings in them but I'm really struggling, not sure if I am going about this the wrong way and instead should focus on finding some books first and then trawling through to find an appropriate painting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

Sam Laws

May 17, 2021, 6:54:02 AM5/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com

David Grigg

May 17, 2021, 7:38:16 AM5/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I used that for South! by Ernest Shackleton.

I personally find it easier to locate an image in a pre-1926 publication, then see if I can find a modern colour reproduction.

Check out the manual, there are also some museums which release their older holdings to the public domain.

Alex Cabal

May 17, 2021, 10:28:53 AM5/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
As David mentioned, the first one is already in use. The 2nd or 3rd
would work, they are very similar. Since the 2nd one is from the Met and
has a CC0 link on the page, you can use that without further research.
If you want to use the other one, a starting point is to search Google
Books or Hathi Trust for the artist's name and the painting name, with a
filter set to books published before in or before 1925. Let me know what
you decide to do.

On 5/17/21 6:52 AM, Sam Laws wrote:
> [...]
>> from after the PD cutoff as PD. But Alex can deliver the
>> "official" line.
>>
>> On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 2:09:18 AM UTC-7 samla...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:samla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you David, much appreciated!
>>
>> On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:10 AM David Grigg
>> <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> That will be fine. So long as we know the book was printed
>> before 1926, all is well.
>> On 13 May 2021, 6:07 PM +1000, Sam Laws
>> <samla...@gmail.com>, wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Just wanted to check something, these are the scans I
>>> have been working from:
>>> https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015046862747&view=1up&seq=2
>>> <https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015046862747&view=1up&seq=2>
>>>
>>> In terms of copyright I would appreciate someone double
>>> checking for me, I can see "Public Domain,

Sam Laws

Jun 15, 2021, 10:59:11 AM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

After a chaotic few weeks of 'real life' I have had some time to make progress with the project, please see the artworks below (in order of most fitting to least, in my opinion) that I have found. I have located page scans of these artworks in a pre-1926 book too.

The Gulf Stream - 1899 - Winslow Homer:

The Shipwreck - exhibited 1805 - Joseph Mallord William Turne

A Galiot in a Gale - John Sell Cotman

Le Transport "la Corrèze" - 1883 -  Frédéric Montenard (It's a watercolour but I think I've seen similar styles on existing covers)

Please let me know if any of these are a good fit and are acceptable to include in the repo.

Thanks,
Sam

Alex Cabal

Jun 15, 2021, 1:51:58 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think the last one works best. The rest don't really say "antarctic"
to me. Thanks!
> [...]
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9bdafcba-9902-4788-9061-58cddf4405f1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9bdafcba-9902-4788-9061-58cddf4405f1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> >     --

> >     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
> email to
> > standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7380892f-0753-4f55-956b-9cd303c93064%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7380892f-0753-4f55-956b-9cd303c93064%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

Alex Cabal

Jun 15, 2021, 1:52:54 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I already have an art entry from the previous producer. What
about using this? https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/13453

On 6/15/21 9:58 AM, Sam Laws wrote:
> [...]
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9bdafcba-9902-4788-9061-58cddf4405f1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9bdafcba-9902-4788-9061-58cddf4405f1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
> >
> >     --

> >     To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an
> email to
> > standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >     <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7380892f-0753-4f55-956b-9cd303c93064%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7380892f-0753-4f55-956b-9cd303c93064%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

Sam Laws

Jun 15, 2021, 5:46:51 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Unless I am mistaken that "previous producer" is me! I found a lot of great artwork but struggled to find the required evidence for them, that's the case for the painting you just linked. I definitely understand the reasoning for going with the last artwork, however he reason I like the first one so much is because of the following passage:

"On the 3rd, the brig foundered in the night, and Arthur Pym and the half-breed,
crouching upon the upturned keel, were reduced to feed upon the barnacles with which the bottom was covered,
in the midst of a crowd of waiting, watching sharks."

Let me know if that changes your mind, if not I will press ahead and finish up production before doing my first proofread.

Thanks,
Sam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/389c4bc1-6aaa-4413-6953-aaa8195b3e22%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jun 15, 2021, 5:50:17 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Paintings from the Met can be used without further proof if the OA-
Public Domain mark under them, which links to a CC0 license.

I prefer the Met painting, because it's what people will think of when
they see "Antartic". The shark painting would be a good choice for
something else, but it's not an obvious selection.
> [...]
> >
> >      >
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FK2RPQQMMraB%3D9wWJ%2B9_Zaf84ErLZreVkncma49P7G-9w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FK2RPQQMMraB%3D9wWJ%2B9_Zaf84ErLZreVkncma49P7G-9w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FK2RPQQMMraB%3D9wWJ%2B9_Zaf84ErLZreVkncma49P7G-9w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FK2RPQQMMraB%3D9wWJ%2B9_Zaf84ErLZreVkncma49P7G-9w%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.

Sam Laws

Jun 15, 2021, 5:58:55 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Scrolling up and actually using my eyes I can see you did mention the Met rule, at least I now have a few books bookmarked that could be used as proof for future projects.

Agreed 100% that "Off Greenland—Whaler Seeking Open Water" is the best fit, I will continue the project using that.

Thanks,
Sam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b4f6b3e3-6318-3283-c2dd-7f6c0e55106a%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

Jun 15, 2021, 6:11:11 PM6/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
Just for future (and others) reference, it’s not a “Met rule,” it’s a CC0 rule. There is a list in the manual of museums that have CC0 paintings, see “Museums with CC0 collections” in section 10.3.3.6.

Sam Laws

Jun 15, 2021, 6:32:05 PM6/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification Vince, those museums will definitely be the first place I look next time.

Sam Laws

Jun 16, 2021, 10:44:05 AM6/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hello again everyone, I'm stuck with two manual reviews after running the linting command. Any input would be appreciated.

1) Dialog tag missing punctuation - obviously I have a dialog tag missing punctuation but there is no punctuation in the scan, do I have the power to add a comma? Here is the relevant text, the comma in red is what I want to add:

“I think there is some need for doubt,” I answered, “the singular character of the hero of those adventures...

2) ‘ missing matching ’ - I have a sentence here where a character is quoting another character, quoting another character so one of my ‘s is being followed by another  ‘. I have checked the scans again and the punctuation is the same, unsure what to suggest here. Again, the relevant text:

“Then, Mr. Jeorling, he added: ‘Did it never occur to you to ask Dirk Peters to enlighten you on the subject?’ ‘Yes, once,’ replied Martin Holt, I questioned the half-breed about it, and never did I see a man so overcome. He replied in so low a voice that I could scarcely understand him, I know not⁠—I know not⁠— and he ran away with his face buried in his hands. ”

Thanks,
Sam

Alex Cabal

Jun 16, 2021, 11:33:47 AM6/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
1. Yes, you can add that. It looks like a printer's typo.

2. Every time dialog gets nested it has to switch between single and
double quotes. "I know not..." needs to be in double quotes because it's
nested two levels deep.
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/single-page#10.3.3.6>.
>

>> On Jun 15, 2021, at 4:58 PM, Sam Laws <samla...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:samla...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Scrolling up and actually using my eyes I can see you did
>> mention the Met rule, at least I now have a few books
>> bookmarked that could be used as proof for future projects.
>>
>> Agreed 100% that "Off Greenland—Whaler Seeking Open Water" is
>> the best fit, I will continue the project using that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sam
>>
>> On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 10:50 PM Alex Cabal
>> <al...@standardebooks.org <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Paintings from the Met can be used without further proof
>> if the OA-
>> Public Domain mark under them, which links to a CC0 license.
>>
>> I prefer the Met painting, because it's what people will
>> think of when
>> they see "Antartic". The shark painting would be a good
>> choice for
>> something else, but it's not an obvious selection.
>
> --
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5F%2Bka1Z777e%3DuqxdR_dV_q0nN9COrRYEbM0Ka8dkxWJEdA%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5F%2Bka1Z777e%3DuqxdR_dV_q0nN9COrRYEbM0Ka8dkxWJEdA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Sam Laws

Jun 16, 2021, 11:36:24 AM6/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That's great, thanks on both accounts!

Cheers,
Sam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/cb61ea3b-18a3-b84e-2e89-b42df0764f78%40standardebooks.org.

Sam Laws

Jun 30, 2021, 8:23:04 AM6/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am coming to the end of my cover-to-cover proofread and have found a few things I need some further clarification on.

Firstly there are two instances of a title being given in the text like in the following screenshot.

image.png

I have replicated this in the reproduction using a blockquote block, as below:

image.png

My question though is should the text be centered as in the scan?  If so, what is the standard way of doing this?

Next up is a temperature given degrees and minutes, I have reproduced this using the same notation as lat. long. coords but that doesn't match the scans. Any suggestions here would be welcome, I scanned through some other Verne projects and couldn't see this being dealt with.

image.png
image.png

Last thing is a break in the text, I believe this signifies a few days of uneventful sailing. In the scans this looks like:

image.png

And in the reproduction a <hr> tag is used to produce this:

image.png
I was wondering if this is the correct way of doing this, and if it is actually meant to be included.

Any help on any of the above would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

David Grigg

Jun 30, 2021, 8:36:49 AM6/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You need to put those titles into a <header> block, and make sure header is styled appropriately in local.css.

I’m not sure about the temperature, other than to point out that you seem to have lost one of the “2”s. Alex can probably advise.

Yes, use a <hr/> for that scene break, that’s our standard way of doing it.
On 30 Jun 2021, 10:23 PM +1000, Sam Laws <samla...@gmail.com>, wrote:
[...]

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FJ8tjBcs9Zyk36JFS6io4MuGn%3Dcz7-CffPkAWoaApsxTw%40mail.gmail.com.

Sam Laws

Jun 30, 2021, 8:50:21 AM6/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David, I'll make those changes to the headers.

Yes in fact many digits are missing from the 'minutes' section of both the coordinates and this temperature measurement. The errors are not present in the Gutenberg HTML so I need to check when that has occurred.

I have been through to correct them all but haven't rebuilt the ebook since, hence you spotting that missing 2!

Thanks again,
Sam

Sam Laws

Jun 30, 2021, 10:04:47 AM6/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hey David, se lint complains a lot with multiple <header> blocks in the same file. I created a new class for it in local.css.

Here's what I'm getting
image.png
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Sam

Sam Laws

Jun 30, 2021, 10:25:20 AM6/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Consulting the manual I can see I was taking you far too literally - problem solved.

Thanks,
Sam

Alex Cabal

Jun 30, 2021, 11:13:36 AM6/30/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Re. temperature, that weird high dot should be a decimal point instead.
36F = 2.22C. Refer to the manual for temperature styling, you should not
be using coordinate styling for temperatures.

On 6/30/21 7:22 AM, Sam Laws wrote:
> [...]
> people will
> >>             think of when
> >>             they see "Antartic". The shark painting would be
> a good
> >>             choice for
> >>             something else, but it's not an obvious selection.
> >
> >         --

> >         To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics,
> send an email
> >         to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >         <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7A8506CB-C141-4750-8019-6ADC80F807BE%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7A8506CB-C141-4750-8019-6ADC80F807BE%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.

Sam Laws

Jul 6, 2021, 11:36:48 AM7/6/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I believe I am ready to submit my repository: https://github.com/samlaws/jules-verne_an-antarctic-mystery

Let me know what the next steps are.

Thanks,
Sam

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6405c5f9-9593-742a-4ecd-1864d06b374a%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jul 6, 2021, 9:00:09 PM7/6/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
David can you review this?

On 7/6/21 10:36 AM, Sam Laws wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >          >
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5F%2Bka1Z777e%3DuqxdR_dV_q0nN9COrRYEbM0Ka8dkxWJEdA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5F%2Bka1Z777e%3DuqxdR_dV_q0nN9COrRYEbM0Ka8dkxWJEdA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
> >
>  <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5F%2Bka1Z777e%3DuqxdR_dV_q0nN9COrRYEbM0Ka8dkxWJEdA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5F%2Bka1Z777e%3DuqxdR_dV_q0nN9COrRYEbM0Ka8dkxWJEdA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>>.

David Grigg

Jul 6, 2021, 9:07:53 PM7/6/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure. As usual, it might take me a day or so.

David Grigg

Jul 7, 2021, 12:58:54 AM7/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
I got to this sooner that I thought.

There are just a few issues which I've logged in the repository. Can you get back to me when you've done those?

Robin Whittleton

Jul 7, 2021, 1:06:38 AM7/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Typically I put the semantics attribute onto the em.

-Robin

On 7 Jul 2021, at 06:59, David Grigg <david...@gmail.com> wrote:

I got to this sooner that I thought.

Sam Laws

Jul 7, 2021, 4:22:13 AM7/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David for taking the time to raise those issues - and thanks Robin for chipping in. I have pushed fixes to all but #3, waiting to hear the official ruling on this.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D0E24AF3-DDEC-4799-8E5C-75C2CDEA8B04%40reala.net.

Sam Laws

Jul 8, 2021, 8:40:48 AM7/8/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Mopped up that last issue, thanks all.

Alex Cabal

Jul 10, 2021, 12:57:01 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
A minor note: For some of the commit messages, the commit message was
saved as the whole git command. For example commit 4505ae9 has its
message as `git commit -am "[Editorial] Modernize hyphenation and
spelling"`. Can you rebase the repo to correct those two commit
messages, and force push to Github?

Something like git rebase -i 4b91bb0723094a4e3e3553c76152ba9a092a095f

and then use the reword command to fix the messages

On 7/8/21 7:40 AM, Sam Laws wrote:
> Mopped up that last issue, thanks all.
>
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:21 AM Sam Laws <samla...@gmail.com
> <mailto:samla...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks David for taking the time to raise those issues - and thanks
> Robin for chipping in. I have pushed fixes to all but #3
> <https://github.com/samlaws/jules-verne_an-antarctic-mystery/issues/3>,
> waiting to hear the official ruling on this.
>
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 6:06 AM Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>
> Typically I put the semantics attribute onto the em.
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 7 Jul 2021, at 06:59, David Grigg <david...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:david...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I got to this sooner that I thought.
>>
>> There are just a few issues which I've logged in the
>> repository. Can you get back to me when you've done those?
>>
>> Alex, one of the issues raises something I've never thought
>> about: what do we do when a phrase requires both italic
>> semantication because it's a ship's name, but that phrase is
>> also emphasised speech? Use both <i> and <em>? Put the
>> semantication inside the <em>?
>>
>> On Wednesday, 7 July 2021 at 11:07:53 UTC+10 David Grigg wrote:
>>
>> Sure. As usual, it might take me a day or so.
>> On 7 Jul 2021, 11:00 AM +1000, Alex Cabal
>> <al...@standardebooks.org>, wrote:
>>
>> David can you review this?
>>

>> --
>> it, send an email to
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d979d0f8-2f37-423c-b775-c156896f9e1an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D0E24AF3-DDEC-4799-8E5C-75C2CDEA8B04%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D0E24AF3-DDEC-4799-8E5C-75C2CDEA8B04%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FJ4Yjc5o7cpF_70%3D77T%3Db%2B7DCkoJ-PinknoenB-cDVYHg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FJ4Yjc5o7cpF_70%3D77T%3Db%2B7DCkoJ-PinknoenB-cDVYHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Jul 10, 2021, 1:06:20 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Textual question: The following sentence appears to be a misprint or typo:

The thermometer registered 53° (11° 67′ <abbr
epub:type="se:temperature">C.</abbr> below zero).

On 7/8/21 7:40 AM, Sam Laws wrote:
> Mopped up that last issue, thanks all.
>
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:21 AM Sam Laws <samla...@gmail.com
> <mailto:samla...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Thanks David for taking the time to raise those issues - and thanks
> Robin for chipping in. I have pushed fixes to all but #3
> <https://github.com/samlaws/jules-verne_an-antarctic-mystery/issues/3>,
> waiting to hear the official ruling on this.
>
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 6:06 AM Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>
> Typically I put the semantics attribute onto the em.
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 7 Jul 2021, at 06:59, David Grigg <david...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:david...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I got to this sooner that I thought.
>>
>> There are just a few issues which I've logged in the
>> repository. Can you get back to me when you've done those?
>>
>> Alex, one of the issues raises something I've never thought
>> about: what do we do when a phrase requires both italic
>> semantication because it's a ship's name, but that phrase is
>> also emphasised speech? Use both <i> and <em>? Put the
>> semantication inside the <em>?
>>
>> On Wednesday, 7 July 2021 at 11:07:53 UTC+10 David Grigg wrote:
>>
>> Sure. As usual, it might take me a day or so.
>> On 7 Jul 2021, 11:00 AM +1000, Alex Cabal
>> <al...@standardebooks.org>, wrote:
>>
>> David can you review this?
>>

>> --
>> it, send an email to
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/d979d0f8-2f37-423c-b775-c156896f9e1an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D0E24AF3-DDEC-4799-8E5C-75C2CDEA8B04%40reala.net
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D0E24AF3-DDEC-4799-8E5C-75C2CDEA8B04%40reala.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FJ4Yjc5o7cpF_70%3D77T%3Db%2B7DCkoJ-PinknoenB-cDVYHg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CADgZ5FJ4Yjc5o7cpF_70%3D77T%3Db%2B7DCkoJ-PinknoenB-cDVYHg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Jul 10, 2021, 1:10:54 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I sent this before I was done. Here's the full message:

Textual question: The following sentence appears to be a misprint or typo:

The thermometer registered 53° (11° 67′ <abbr
epub:type="se:temperature">C.</abbr> below zero).

I don't know what the 67' is doing there? It's there in print but it
doesn't make any sense to me. 11 degrees C is the right conversion from
F and the next sentence says the ice was melting so that makes sense
too. Can we just remove the 67' as an English printer's typo?

Alex Cabal

Jul 10, 2021, 1:11:48 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I was unclear, in print the sentence says 67' but in our transcription
it just says 7' (so it is a transcription error of a possible printer's
typo)

Bob R. Kenyon

Jul 10, 2021, 1:18:20 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
53°F converts to 11.67°C, if that makes any difference…

Bob

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/877cd8c9-4acb-a0fa-0efc-796f7c5cb007%40standardebooks.org.

Alex Cabal

Jul 10, 2021, 1:20:39 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, that makes sense. I'll update it to the modern decimal style then.

On 7/10/21 12:18 PM, Bob R. Kenyon wrote:
> 53°F converts to 11.67°C, if that makes any difference…
>
> Bob
>
>> On Jul 10, 2021, at 10:11, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> I was unclear, in print the sentence says 67' but in our transcription
>> it just says 7' (so it is a transcription error of a possible
>> printer's typo)
>>
>> On 7/10/21 12:10 PM, Alex Cabal wrote:
>>> Sorry I sent this before I was done. Here's the full message:
>>> Textual question: The following sentence appears to be a misprint or
>>> typo:
>>> The thermometer registered 53° (11° 67′ <abbr
>>> epub:type="se:temperature">C.</abbr> below zero).
>>> I don't know what the 67' is doing there? It's there in print but it
>>> doesn't make any sense to me. 11 degrees C is the right conversion
>>> from F and the next sentence says the ice was melting so that makes
>>> sense too. Can we just remove the 67' as an English printer's typo?

>> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/877cd8c9-4acb-a0fa-0efc-796f7c5cb007%40standardebooks.org
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/877cd8c9-4acb-a0fa-0efc-796f7c5cb007%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5E189DAB-F307-460F-A866-EE605D23943F%40bobrk.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5E189DAB-F307-460F-A866-EE605D23943F%40bobrk.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bob R. Kenyon

Jul 10, 2021, 1:22:03 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Whoops, I didn’t notice the below zero part. Hmmmm….
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6768f2f5-c9a1-3ebf-d23c-d0772141c10a%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

Jul 10, 2021, 1:27:27 PM7/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yeah, the whole thing’s off (-53F = -47.22C), but that’s probably an author error, not a printer one. (A French version might confirm.)

And, really, the “below zero” should be outside the parens. As it is, the implication is that 53° is -11.67.

Alex Cabal

Jul 10, 2021, 1:31:35 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I think "below zero" just has to be removed entirely, because the next
sentence is about how the ice is melting into rivulets. So it must be
53F and 11.67C.

David Grigg

Jul 10, 2021, 7:03:52 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
There’s something to be said about spurious accuracy here, pointless to have two decimal places of accuracy for Celsius when the Farenheit is rounded to an integer. But I guess it’s not our place to change such stuff. What does the original French text have?

Sam Laws

Jul 10, 2021, 7:08:29 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex, I have made the changes regarding the temperature.

Onto the git stuff, I've been trying to get this sorted for a little while now and was not getting anywhere. I think the problem was that both commits are doing the same thing, I have no idea how this happened, I must have still been settling into the project environment and done something dumb.

Unfortunately trying to fix this I have done something even dumber, I now have rebased and merged but in the process doubled my number of commits (It has squashed and reworded the offending commit messages however).

Not sure where to go from here, It's getting late where I am and I will probably make it worse if I keep going.

Sam Laws

Jul 10, 2021, 7:27:56 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Back to temperature - here is a screenshot of the section in the french text:

image.png
I don't speak french but from what I can tell 'sur zero' doesn't mean sub zero, the precision is the same as Alex's suggestion and in my opinion fits with the general tone of Verne's work. I have removed 'below zero' as that is incorrect but definitely open to adding 'above zero' in, once I sort out my git related calamities of course.

Vince

Jul 10, 2021, 7:34:53 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I imagine the assumption is the 53° is exact, i.e. 53.00. François or Genevieve can weigh in with authority, but Google translate says that means “over zero,” and that certainly fits with the numbers. And the text—“The temperature that night was one of the highest we had experienced until then.”

On Jul 10, 2021, at 6:27 PM, Sam Laws <samla...@gmail.com> wrote:

Back to temperature - here is a screenshot of the section in the french text:

Vince

Jul 10, 2021, 7:37:06 PM7/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
Is the rebase only in one place, i.e. only local and not pushed to GitHub? If so you can move your local out of the way and clone from GitHub, and try again. If not, one of the experts will have to suggest something.

Sam Laws

Jul 10, 2021, 7:40:04 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately I had pushed it before I realised the extent of the mistake. Today I have learnt a valuable lesson about not working in the master branch!

Genevieve Segol

Jul 10, 2021, 7:40:19 PM7/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
"sur" means above.  So, yes it is a mild 53 degrees F.

Sam Laws

Jul 10, 2021, 7:55:37 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for chipping in guys, will wait for Alex to confirm.

Regarding git, I think I can create a new branch from my last, non duplicated commit and make that branch the default. I could then delete 'main' and rename my new branch to 'main'. Someone please let me know if I'm just digging a deeper hole with that though.

Emma Sweeney

Jul 10, 2021, 8:11:17 PM7/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
This is what I would do but I'm definitely not a GitHub expert.
You could run git rebase -i HEAD~5 and drop the most recent commits, then you run git push --force-with-lease to change you GitHub repository.

Emma

Weijia Cheng

Jul 10, 2021, 8:33:54 PM7/10/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, I second Emma. That is how I would do it too. Learning how git rebase -i works is really helpful! It covers a lot of cases like combining commits (squash) or renaming commits buried in the history.

Matt Chan

Jul 10, 2021, 9:18:45 PM7/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This might also be a case of using a graphical interface to Git like Github desktop or Gitkraken (both free; I love Sublime Merge, but it's shareware.) It might have to figure out exactly what you need to do.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6c752bab-c434-4204-b43b-b8e65e212176n%40googlegroups.com.

Sam Laws

Jul 11, 2021, 7:47:42 AM7/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all the tips everyone, I definitely feel a lot more comfortable with git after this.

Summary of my repo branches:
-main: Dumpster fire, will delete as soon as I'm sure I'm allowed to
-back-up: Taken from my final commit before the rebase disaster
-master: New main, will probably rename to main as soon as I am able to
-development: In this branch I have rebased, reworded the offending commit and skipped the empty commit with the same message.

I want to merge development into master but don't want to end up in the same situation again so will hold off until someone can confirm the method has worked OK. The one thing I'm not sure about is all the future commits have been made today, I was under the impression that in the rebase it would allow me to keep things the same, I knew a new commit id would be created but didn't think the actual timestamps would change.

Weijia Cheng

Jul 11, 2021, 10:30:33 AM7/11/21
to Standard Ebooks
It looks like the difference between master and development has to do with fixing the old commits and rewriting the commit history. I do not think that merging development into master will fix your problem, since that's going to keep the commit history that already exists in master and just add some new commits on top of that. I think what you want to do is take a backup branch of master as it currently stands and then replace master's history with development's. What I'd suggest is something like this:

git branch --copy master master-backup # creates a copy of master called master-backup
git checkout master
git reset --hard development # this essentially turns master into an exact copy of development down to the commit history
git push --force # by force pushing you replace origin/master's commit history with your local master's, which is now the same thing as development

Sam Laws

Jul 11, 2021, 10:56:06 AM7/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Weijia, that sounds like exactly what I want. Appreciate the comments too, I'll give this a go when I have some time.

Sam Laws

Jul 11, 2021, 11:08:40 AM7/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Just hopped onto my PC to try this and it worked a treat, 'master' has the commit history of 'development'. In terms of content I am yet to add 'above zero' to replace the 'below zero' that I removed, so if that is not required then I think I am done, if it is or anything else needs clearing up then let me know.

Alex Cabal

Jul 11, 2021, 10:41:53 PM7/11/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, everything looks good and I've gone ahead and released it.
Great work, thanks!

If you'd like to work on something new, you can check out the wanted
ebooks list for moderate difficulty productions, or pitch something else
that interests you to the mailing list.