[Next Project] News from Nowhere, by William Morris

ubi...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2021, 10:49:19 AM3/20/21
to Standard Ebooks

For my second production, I'm thinking about William Morris' News from Nowhere.

Gutenberg link (1908 edition): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3261
Internet Archive link (1917 edition, from the same publisher): https://archive.org/details/newsfromnowhere00morriala/

I created a new repository, but haven't done anything about it. Here's the link: https://github.com/crvdgc/william-morris_news-from-nowhere

I saw there are two William Morris books already. Might as well add this one.

The PG version seems fine. Should be an easy work. What do you think?

Yours,
Ubikium

Alex Cabal

Mar 20, 2021, 2:38:15 PM3/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, this should be pretty simple. I see some endnotes and one section
where dialog is presented in a play-like format; but I don't think that
section will need any special formatting or semantics. Note that the
subtitle is "Or, an Epoch of Rest" and that doesn't appear in the cover
or titlepage, but will appear in the metadata. See the manual for how to
represent it in content.opf.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f25d46e2-6655-4e14-9070-56a0a620e088n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f25d46e2-6655-4e14-9070-56a0a620e088n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

ubi...@gmail.com

Apr 4, 2021, 1:08:10 AM4/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
The scanned version I'm using ( https://archive.org/details/newsfromnowhere00morriala/ ) was published in 1917, later than the version of the PG transcription (1908). I noticed a lot of differences between them. Words changed, sentences deleted, and even the built year of the bridge in Chapter 2 is moved from 2003 in PG to 1975. Have a look at the commit of the first two chapters ( https://github.com/crvdgc/william-morris_news-from-nowhere/commit/35d5b5f7447119678ee1fcdc1948f29782829f34 )

Shall I keep using the 1917 version? It will make the book differ in a lot of details from most other sources that people can find online. Or shall I find a version that's closer to the PG version?

Best,
Ubikium

Vince

Apr 4, 2021, 1:43:50 AM4/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
Alex’s decision as always, but it turns out to be an interesting issue.

This edition from 1890, the year it was serialized (and labeled “Author’s edition”) has 1971 for the bridge date.
But this edition, from 1891, the very next year, has 2003.

This article title in JStor, “Major Textual Changes in William Morris’s News from Nowhere,” sounds promising, but I don’t have a way to access it. The preview page talks about minor differences between the three versions running to several hundred. (JStor says that “independent researchers” can sign up for 100 free articles a month, so if you want to label yourself one, you can get access.)
This interview talks about it a little (look for, “I’ve heard that there are are also three versions of the text, is that right?”)

So it appears there are actually three different versions. Did PG pick the “best” one, or is there even a “best” one? I don’t know, you’ll have to do some more research, unless Alex says just go with PG.

Alex Cabal

Apr 4, 2021, 1:33:00 PM4/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Very interesting. The JSTOR article says that Morris printed his own
edition through Kelmscott Press, his own press, in 1892. There was one
more printing in 1895 but it's unclear who the printer was, and he died
in 1896.

The Kelmscott edition thus is probably the one we want to use, as it's
probably the last major edition in his lifetime. However, the JSTOR
article also points out that it was printed in a typeface Morris
designed himself, which was lacking both em dashes and italics. Thus
dashes and italics from earlier editions were not included in the
Kelmscott edition merely as a matter of practicality, not necessarily a
matter of authorship; Morris actually used em dashes very frequently.

The 1917 edition you found appears to be a strict compilation of the
original serialization in the _Commonweal_. It has 30 chapters where
later editions have 32. Even though it says "author's edition" and was
published 20 years after his death, how could it be more of an author's
edition than the edition he printed at his own printing press and at his
own expense?

So I think the solution here is:

- Use the PG edition as a base text, because based on its having 32
chapters and no em dashes it appears to be based on the Kelmscott
edition. You will have to find a different set of page scans as yours
are the Commonweal edition.

- However, it would be extremely interesting to be able to restore the
em dashes from the Commonweal edition. This would be fairly tedious
work, but it would result in what I think would be the most accurate
edition based on the author's intent.

Note that typogrify will replace "comma em-dash" with just "em-dash" so
don't worry about those commas.

On 4/4/21 12:43 AM, Vince wrote:
> Alex’s decision as always, but it turns out to be an interesting issue.
>
> This edition <https://archive.org/details/newsfromnowher00morr> from
> 1890, the year it was serialized (and labeled “Author’s edition”) has
> 1971 for the bridge date.
> But this edition <https://archive.org/details/newsfromnowhe00morr>, from
> 1891, the very next year, has 2003.
>
> This article
> <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiur5-t7ePvAhVCXc0KHWCJBLIQFjAAegQICxAD&url=https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3044931.pdf&usg=AOvVaw014lsa3aBQepijInYCpfq1> title
> in JStor, “Major Textual Changes in William Morris’s News from Nowhere,”
> sounds promising, but I don’t have a way to access it. The preview page
> talks about minor differences between the three versions running to
> several hundred. (JStor says that “independent researchers” can sign up
> for 100 free articles a month, so if you want to label yourself one, you
> can get access.)
> This interview <http://morrisedition.lib.uiowa.edu/NewsIntro.html> talks
> about it a little (look for, “I’ve heard that there are are also three
> versions of the text, is that right?”)
>
> So it appears there are actually /three/ different versions. Did PG pick
> the “best” one, or is there even a “best” one? I don’t know, you’ll have
> to do some more research, unless Alex says just go with PG.
>

>> On Apr 4, 2021, at 12:08 AM, ubi...@gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
>> <ubi...@gmail.com <mailto:ubi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> The scanned version I'm using (
>> https://archive.org/details/newsfromnowhere00morriala/
>> <https://archive.org/details/newsfromnowhere00morriala/>) was
>> published in 1917, later than the version of the PG transcription
>> (1908). I noticed a lot of differences between them. Words changed,
>> sentences deleted, and even the built year of the bridge in Chapter 2
>> is moved from 2003 in PG to 1975. Have a look at the commit of the
>> first two chapters (
>> https://github.com/crvdgc/william-morris_news-from-nowhere/commit/35d5b5f7447119678ee1fcdc1948f29782829f34
>> <https://github.com/crvdgc/william-morris_news-from-nowhere/commit/35d5b5f7447119678ee1fcdc1948f29782829f34>
>> )
>>
>> Shall I keep using the 1917 version? It will make the book differ in a
>> lot of details from most other sources that people can find online. Or
>> shall I find a version that's closer to the PG version?
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/DEB97782-8677-4DC1-A706-9F2272A3D4C2%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/DEB97782-8677-4DC1-A706-9F2272A3D4C2%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Apr 4, 2021, 2:07:34 PM4/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Also, this would be a good thing to make a note of in the long description

Uki Ryuu

Apr 6, 2021, 10:57:40 PM4/6/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> 于 2021年4月5日周一 03:07写道:
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f5eb94e3-e6dc-60a8-c964-a2c5df5d2853%40standardebooks.org.

Uki Ryuu

Apr 6, 2021, 11:12:20 PM4/6/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, sent a draft.

This scan should be the first edition.

It's published in 1892 & by Kelmscott & has 32 chapters.

So I will use it has a base to check the PG version.

The recovery of em-dash & italics from the 1917 edition will be separated in the commits with a tag “1917e” and in the commit messages “[Editorial] [1917e]” for ease of inspection. And I will include how three versions differ (since gitdiff only shows difference between two).

We could also include some guidance of how to choose a suitable edition of scan in the step-by-step guide?

Uki Ryuu <ubi...@gmail.com> 于 2021年4月7日周三 11:57写道:

Alex Cabal

Apr 6, 2021, 11:20:42 PM4/6/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Picking a scan is just a case by case thing. This book in particular has
a unique history. I'm glad you found the Kelmscott edition. That's a
beautiful book! You can list that one and also the 1917 scans as sources
in the metadata.

On 4/6/21 10:12 PM, Uki Ryuu wrote:
> Sorry, sent a draft.
>
> This scan should be the first edition.
>
> https://archive.org/details/Newsfromnowhere00MorrA/mode/2up
> <https://archive.org/details/Newsfromnowhere00MorrA/mode/2up>
>
> It's published in 1892 & by Kelmscott & has 32 chapters.
>
> So I will use it has a base to check the PG version.
>
> The recovery of em-dash & italics from the 1917 edition will be
> separated in the commits with a tag “1917e” and in the commit messages
> “[Editorial] [1917e]” for ease of inspection. And I will include how
> three versions differ (since gitdiff only shows difference between two).
>
> We could also include some guidance of how to choose a suitable edition
> of scan in the step-by-step guide?
>
> Uki Ryuu <ubi...@gmail.com <mailto:ubi...@gmail.com>> 于 2021年4月7日
> 周三 11:57写道:
>
> Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> 于 2021年4月5日周一 03:07写道:
> <mailto:ubi...@gmail.com> <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com>>
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebooks%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/DEB97782-8677-4DC1-A706-9F2272A3D4C2%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/DEB97782-8677-4DC1-A706-9F2272A3D4C2%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f5eb94e3-e6dc-60a8-c964-a2c5df5d2853%40standardebooks.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f5eb94e3-e6dc-60a8-c964-a2c5df5d2853%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAO2pU69OeXOvv2jCjtXumArCOgBg5ZPR9x3yko2bv8p_3u%3DaZQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAO2pU69OeXOvv2jCjtXumArCOgBg5ZPR9x3yko2bv8p_3u%3DaZQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Uki Ryuu

Apr 6, 2021, 11:26:27 PM4/6/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I mean in the case of having more than one sources of scans, how one should organize the commits. But maybe that's not very common.

Anyway, I'll return when it's finished. Cheers.

Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org> 于 2021年4月7日周三 12:20写道:
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6ded10ce-1f70-1257-c83b-87ac2bf08f2d%40standardebooks.org.

Duncan Lock

Sep 15, 2021, 9:58:50 AM9/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
I would very much like to see News from Nowhere as a Standard Ebook.
It looks like this has stalled, as there's been no commits to that repo for 6 months.
How can I help?

Alex Cabal

Sep 15, 2021, 10:12:37 AM9/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Duncan, this has indeed been abandoned. However the unique
publication history means we have to use the PG transcription but
restore em dashes from a different edition, which is a lot of work and
not a good introduction to the SE process for a new producer.

If you really want to work on this, I suggest first producing an entry
level ebook from our wanted list:
https://standardebooks.org/contribute/wanted-ebooks

If you succeed and you're comfortable with the process, you could move
on to News from Nowhere next. We usually ask that abandoned projects get
started fresh by the new producer because it's usually hard or
impossible to know in what state the abandoned repo was left in.
> <http://gmail.com> <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com>>>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAO2pU69OeXOvv2jCjtXumArCOgBg5ZPR9x3yko2bv8p_3u%3DaZQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CAO2pU69OeXOvv2jCjtXumArCOgBg5ZPR9x3yko2bv8p_3u%3DaZQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7effc6c0-da72-4c51-a71f-3da1c03d00b5n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7effc6c0-da72-4c51-a71f-3da1c03d00b5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Duncan Lock

Sep 15, 2021, 10:28:59 AM9/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
> We usually ask that abandoned projects get
> started fresh by the new producer because it's usually hard or
> impossible to know in what state the abandoned repo was left in.

This was my concern.

> If you really want to work on this, I suggest first producing an entry
> level ebook from our wanted list:

Fair enough. I'll give "Search the Sky by C. M. Kornbluth and Frederik Pohl" a go and see
how it goes.

Thanks!

Alex Cabal

Sep 15, 2021, 12:52:40 PM9/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

Cut everything up to the first chapter and the 'about the authors' at
the end. You can pass multiple author argument values to `se
create-draft` to create a draft with multiple authors: `se create draft
-a "author1" "author2" ...`

You'll have to normalize the chapter headers according to the manual.
Also titlecase the first word of each chapter instead of uppercase. I
see a few instances of verse, see the manual for copy and paste styling.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> > <http://gmail.com <http://gmail.com>> <http://gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7effc6c0-da72-4c51-a71f-3da1c03d00b5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/7effc6c0-da72-4c51-a71f-3da1c03d00b5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/27c93169-d52f-4f96-bf6e-be55f335fa88n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/27c93169-d52f-4f96-bf6e-be55f335fa88n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Duncan Lock

Oct 25, 2021, 10:22:51 AM10/25/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK, so I finally started on this - but I'm unable to find online scans any earlier than 1954 - indeed it looks like this was originally published in 1954. The Standard Ebooks manual says:

> Make sure the scans you find are published in 1925 or earlier. You must verify the copyright page in the page scans before proceeding.

1954 is the copyright date on the Gutenburg verson of this: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/52228/pg52228-images.html - which links to this LoC catalog entry: https://lccn.loc.gov/54006478 - which is the earliest LoC entry I could find for this work.

In the PG text it says this:

COPYRIGHT, 1954, BY
FREDERIK POHL AND C. M. KORNBLUTH
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS CATALOGUE CARD NO. 54-6478
PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
BALLANTINE BOOKS, INC.
404 Fifth Avenue, New York 18, N. Y.
TRANSCRIBER'S NOTE
Extensive research did not uncover
any evidence that the U.S. copyright
on this publication was renewed.

So, proceed using the 1954 Ballantine Books scans, or find another book?

B Keith

Oct 25, 2021, 11:20:06 AM10/25/21
to Standard Ebooks
A lot of the mid century books (espcially SF) didnt have their copyrights renewed due to some  odd circumstances. Gutenberg is the gold standard so if it is there than its good to go.
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/ddfea84f-597c-4181-9d2c-e8d84675229dn%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Oct 25, 2021, 2:13:25 PM10/25/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Yes, for older sci fi they get an exception. Hopefully you can find a
1954 edition of the book on archive.org. If not then you can continue
without scans.

maticstric

Oct 25, 2021, 9:12:27 PM10/25/21
to Standard Ebooks