[First Project] Charlotte Temple by Susanna Rowson

Josh Lund

Jul 26, 2022, 6:12:21 PM7/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
I looked through the list of Wanted Ebooks, and this was one of the first titles I came across that didn't appear to already have a thread on the mailing list. Is it OK for me to give this a try?

Alex Cabal

Jul 26, 2022, 6:18:43 PM7/26/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Our Wanted list is up to date, so you can work on any first-production
book on there. Previous discussions on the list just means it was abandoned.

This would be a good start if you want to work on it.

There's a preface, so you'll have to include a half title. Since it's
divided into volumes, make sure to add a `data-parent` attribute to each
chapter's containing section - see the manual for patterns.

It looks like PG replaced italics with all caps, so you'll have to
restore italics and eyeball each page of the page scans to restore
italics on "I".

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9be68f90-5f0e-45a9-a23d-6a5e1d544769n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9be68f90-5f0e-45a9-a23d-6a5e1d544769n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Josh Lund

Jul 27, 2022, 4:14:47 AM7/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'm on step 3 of the step-by-step guide ("Locate page scans of your book online") and I wanted to share some early thoughts and questions about the "best" available edition to consult. There are three decent candidates from my perspective. Here they are in my loose order of preference:
  • Funk & Wagnalls Co. (1905)
    • Pros:
      • This looks like the newest pre-1926 edition that is available on archive.org.
      • It's clear from the 136(!) pages of preamble (and the exhaustive bibliography) that the producers of this volume had an enormous amount of respect for the source material.
      • Correcting errors in previous publications was listed as their primary justification for pursuing a "new edition."
    • Cons:
      • The reverential treatment of the original text can lead to some stilted phrasing and preserved typos that other editions just went ahead and corrected. For example:
        • Page 14: "As he was universally known to be the friend of the unfortunate, his advice and bounty was [sic] frequently solicited..."
          • Some editions (not Project Gutenberg) have corrected this to "...his advice and bounty were frequently solicited...
          • F&W obviously noticed the error (they added the sic!) but decided to keep it anyway.
        • Page 11: "I must of necessity leave England in a few days, and probably may never return; why, then, should I endeavor to engage the affections of this lovely girl,"
          • Some editions made the editorial change to remove the commas, which feels more natural: "...probably may never return; why then should I endeavor..."
      • There's a whole lot of extraneous text, including character biographies, footnotes calling out misquotes of Romeo and Juliet, etc.
        • This has already been a little distracting, albeit interesting!
  • H. Altemus Company (1900)
    • Pros:
      • My first impression of this edition was that it felt a bit more "modern" than the others.
        • For example, compare the segment of dialog beginning with "Did you not notice her?" here and here.
          • This edition skips the weird mid-phrase colon and instead opts for a new sentence, which arguably flows better?
    • Cons:
      • The aged yellow paper is in worse shape, and harder to skim.
      • "Altemus" is specifically listed in the 1905 "Funk & Wagnalls Co." edition bibliography as one of the editions that simply wasn't good enough.
        • As an aside, F&W's diss of other editions is so hilariously petty that it has to be shared:
          • "Of the cheap paper editions here named as published during the period 1875-1905, all but two seem now to be out of print. The others, in well-worn condition, may from time to time be picked up in the little shops of tenement districts."
  • W. A. Leary & Co (1883)
    • Pros:
      • Really nice layout that is clean and easy to skim.
      • Modernizes some of the stilted usage of commas, colons, and semicolons.
    • Cons:
      • Older than the rest. Potentially missing out on 17-22 years of corrections.
This is turning into a lot of text, but I guess my two primary questions are...
  1. Does the Funk & Wagnalls edition seem like a good choice for the "authoritative" scan?
  2. How should I be thinking about all of these commas, semicolons, and colons?
    • There are so many of them (and so quickly!) at the beginning of the book, and I've already noticed that the Project Gutenberg edition gets quite a few of them wrong. I think these three pieces of punctuation are going to consume a surprising amount of time.
    • I realize that I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here, already mulling over future '[Editorial]' commits -- but the question is related to these scans because each edition treats them a little differently.
Thanks for your help. Definitely having fun so far.

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2022, 12:18:46 PM7/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Very good research Josh, thanks.

Generally we prefer to use the latest possible PD edition on the
assumption that it has the most corrections. That isn't always the
actual case, but in this case, it looks like it is.

Books that are this old and this popular frequently went through many
editions in which punctuation and other things were shuffled about by
editors and typesetters. So it's not uncommon to find different editions
that vary wildly. There isn't really a "right" answer.

Let's go with the F&W edition. We typically like to include editor's
endnotes if they're interesting, and it looks like they are in this
case. Since PG's edition doesn't appear to be the F&W edition, you could
use a different transcription source, like here:
https://www.bartleby.com/154/

It's going to be a little more tedious to download 35 separate files but
much less tedious than transcribing hundreds of endnotes. And, we don't
have to try to normalize the PG text against the F&W edition, which
would be very error prone.

As far as punctuation goes, we leave that alone in almost all cases. So
correct the text to match the page scans but don't tweak things for your
own ear.

(That is a very, very good burn you found! Old literary burns are some
of the most satisfying...)

On 7/27/22 3:14 AM, Josh Lund wrote:
> [...]
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography>
>
> The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:
>
> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>
>

> Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
> well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
> whatever problem you've encountered.
>
> When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
> that I can mark you as having started.
>
> Have fun! :)
>

> On 7/26/22 5:12 PM, Josh Lund wrote:
> > I looked through the list of Wanted Ebooks, and this was one of the
> > first titles I came across that didn't appear to already have a
> thread
> > on the mailing list. Is it OK for me to give this a try?

Alex Cabal

Jul 27, 2022, 12:18:56 PM7/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
David, can you manage this ebook with Emma reviewing?

> [...]
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography>
>
> The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:
>
> https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step <https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step>
>

> Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
> well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
> whatever problem you've encountered.
>
> When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
> that I can mark you as having started.
>
> Have fun! :)
>

> On 7/26/22 5:12 PM, Josh Lund wrote:
> > I looked through the list of Wanted Ebooks, and this was one of the
> > first titles I came across that didn't appear to already have a
> thread
> > on the mailing list. Is it OK for me to give this a try?

David Grigg

Jul 27, 2022, 8:20:25 PM7/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK. Josh, feel free to ask me about anything you're unsure about.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/27157b76-7ff1-4358-090a-abaec0ed0b62%40standardebooks.org.

Josh Lund

Jul 28, 2022, 3:58:56 AM7/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'm now on step 8 of the step-by-step guide, and the third commit is in the books. Here's a link to my GitHub repo:
--

I used Bartleby as the transcription source, as suggested. Downloading 30+ files was easy, but what proved to be a fun challenge was trying to parse Bartleby's HTML. It's a real blast-from-the-past experience (e.g. image maps for navigation, tables, inline JavaScript, Google tracking code, tons of HTML comments, etc.). Here's what I did:
  1. Created a new `body.md` Markdown file.

There's obviously still a lot of work left here, but it would be great to get feedback on the first three commits so far. I want to make sure things are looking good before I keep moving forward, and while it's still easy to rewrite (git) history :)

Thanks!

Josh

David Grigg

Jul 28, 2022, 7:36:23 AM7/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Josh,

It all looks fine to me so far. You’ve documented your steps very thoroughly here. If you keep following the step by step guide you’ll be fine, but I’m happy to keep looking at it as you go.

David Grigg

Jul 28, 2022, 7:08:02 PM7/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Josh: you do need, as you note, to renumber the chapter files and structure the headings of each chapter as indicated in the manual,  but I’m assuming those processes will be in a separate commit.

Vince

Jul 28, 2022, 7:13:19 PM7/28/22
to Standard Ebooks
Josh, note that you can save yourself some time by cutting the preface to a separate file (e.g. preface.xhtml), then rerunning split-file; the chapter files should then be numbered correctly.

Josh Lund

Jul 29, 2022, 4:03:58 PM7/29/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the tips, David and Vince! It's really nice that the split-file tool will automatically do that.

Josh Lund

Jul 29, 2022, 5:54:57 PM7/29/22
to Standard Ebooks
OK, I rewrote the git history and the files are now numbered correctly.

There are quoted lines from Romeo and Juliet along with some additional prose on the page before the Author's Preface. You can see this in the book scan here:
https://archive.org/details/cu31924031169752/page/n139/mode/2up

Questions:
  1. Should this page be treated as part of the preface, or as a separate preface?
  2. Should the bracketed comments from the publisher be treated as endnotes?
    • These comments would make sense as two separate endnotes -- one for the R&J quote, and one for "the second bit of verse."
    • Or should these publisher comments be displayed on the same "page" as they were in the original print?

Vince Rice

Jul 29, 2022, 6:03:35 PM7/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Those are epigraphs; see that section in the manual. Alex is the final word, but I would certainly think the comments should be endnotes. I don’t know if it’s worth splitting in two, though.

David Grigg

Jul 29, 2022, 7:13:20 PM7/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for stepping in with advice, Vince. The problem with me managing projects is that, living in Australia, I’m 10 to 12 hours out of phase with most producers! Which makes it hard to give timely advice.

Vince

Jul 29, 2022, 7:25:15 PM7/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Oh, gosh, I’m so sorry! I actually looked back to see if there was someone managing this, and I must have missed the assignment email. My apologies! I will go back to my corner now. :)

David Grigg

Jul 29, 2022, 8:04:04 PM7/29/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
No, no! On the contrary, I’m pleased you can help Josh. As I say, it’s all but impossible for me to get back on a question in less than 12 to 16 hours.

Josh Lund

Aug 2, 2022, 6:49:59 PM8/2/22
to Standard Ebooks
Just to give an update, I'm now on the "Build and proofread" step and making decent progress:

Josh Lund

Aug 8, 2022, 10:19:48 PM8/8/22
to Standard Ebooks
"Portsmouth then as now was the chief naval arsenal of England, its fortifications being the most important in Great Britain..."

I fixed a transcription error in the endnote above, but I was also temporarily perplexed about how it began. When the endnote was originally written, now meant somewhere around 1905. Surely that couldn't still be the case today, right?

So I jumped over to the Royal Navy's website to see if there was even still a naval base at Portsmouth. Lo and behold...

"Portsmouth Naval Base has been an integral part of the city since 1194. It is home to almost two-thirds of the Royal Navy's surface ships, including the new aircraft carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth, the formidable Type 45 destroyers, Type 23 frigates and mine countermeasures and fishery protection squadrons."

I guess a good spot on the ocean in 1194, 1791, and 1905 is still a good spot on the ocean in 2022. Some endnotes are apparently timeless.

Still making progress!

Josh Lund

Aug 9, 2022, 2:25:09 AM8/9/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alright, I have a few new questions:
  1. At the end of Chapter 17, in both the page scans and the Bartleby transcription, there is bracketed "[END OF THE FIRST VOLUME]" text.
    • How should this be handled?
      • It seems redundant given that it's located at the end of the chapter and the next page says "Volume II" in large text.
      • My instinct is to remove it in an editorial commit, but I wanted to check first.
  2. The "Volume II" page scan includes "CHARLOTTE TEMPLE" (title), "A TALE OF TRUTH" (subtitle), "IN TWO VOLUMES" (???), and "VOLUME II" (volume number).
    • The transcription omits the "IN TWO VOLUMES" text, so it isn't currently in my repo either.
      • Should it be included?
      • Should the other text (specifically the repeated title and repeated subtitle) also be included?
        • Glancing at other repos in completed books with multiple volumes, it seems like the answer is probably not?
        • I currently just have very simple "Volume I" and "Volume 2" pages in place that only include the volume number. Is this enough?
      • If all of this text should be on each volume page, how should the titles be structured (<h2>, <h3>, <hgroup>, etc.)?
        • Also, what would the "IN TWO VOLUMES" text be considered?
  3. Before the first chapter of Volume II starts in the page scans, the text that is currently in the epigraph in my repo is repeated along with the endnotes.
    • It isn't included/repeated in the Bartleby transcript, but should this mid-book, post-volume-break, duplicate epigraph also be included again?
      • If so, how should it be formatted?
        • Can I just put the same epigraph.xhtml reference in the spine prior to volume-2.xhtml?
          • This would throw off the endnote number sequence, at least as far as the reader experiences it, and I don't even know if it would build or render properly :)
      • This seems potentially important because the endnote specifically mentions that "The above lines, in the original American edition, are given on the title-pages of both volumes [emphasis added]."
      • My instinct here is to skip it, because the text is identical to the epigraph at the beginning, and the endnote provides context about how the book was originally formatted.
I can continue proofreading and fixing transcription errors from here, so there's no rush on these questions!

Josh

Alex Cabal

Aug 11, 2022, 12:46:48 PM8/11/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
David, thoughts?

On 8/9/22 1:25 AM, Josh Lund wrote:
> [...]
> should this mid-book, post-volume-break, duplicate epigraph also
> be included again?
> o If so, how should it be formatted?
> + Can I just put the same epigraph.xhtml reference in the
> spine prior to volume-2.xhtml?
> # This would throw off the endnote number sequence, at
> least as far as the reader experiences it, and I
> don't even know if it would build or render properly :)
> o This seems potentially important because the endnote
> specifically mentions that "The above lines, in the original
> American edition, are /given on the title-pages of both
> volumes/ [emphasis added]."
> o My instinct here is to skip it, because the text is
> identical to the epigraph at the beginning, and the endnote
> provides context about how the book was originally formatted.
>
> I can continue proofreading and fixing transcription errors from here,

David Grigg

Aug 11, 2022, 10:38:51 PM8/11/22
to Standard Ebooks
Josh: Sorry once more for the delay in replying.

(1) Just remove it. You can make it an editorial commit but I don't believe that it needs to be so marked.
(2) Same here, just remove all that. It's not a part of the work itself.
(3) So, the epigraph shouldn't be repeated.

My way of thinking about this is that the breaking of the book into two volumes isn't anything to do with the work itself, and has no semantic meaning, it's just a convenience for the printer. Another edition might be all in one volume, or broken into three, for example.

Josh Lund

Aug 12, 2022, 11:11:58 PM8/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
No problem, David! Thanks for your help. I'll make those adjustments.

I should have some more time this weekend to continue proofreading.

Josh Lund

Aug 23, 2022, 2:38:40 AM8/23/22
to Standard Ebooks
OK, I just finished the proofreading step. Latest commits are here:

I would like to propose "Lady with a Glove" as the cover image (public domain proof) (high-res source). The subject of this painting reminds me of Mademoiselle La Rue in the story. The funereal black dress, exposed hand, and fallen white glove are also thematically on point.

Assuming this selection looks OK, I should be able to finish up the final steps and submit this for review soon.

possible-cover.jpg

David Grigg

Aug 23, 2022, 3:59:33 AM8/23/22
to Standard Ebooks
Josh, the painting looks great. Unfortunately I can’t check the PD status easily as HathiTrust is blocking my geographical area (Australia). I’ll try using a VPN to get to it later this evening.
<possible-cover.jpg>

David Grigg

Aug 23, 2022, 4:23:06 AM8/23/22
to Standard Ebooks
OK, I was able to check your PD proof using a VPN. All looks good, that's a fine choice.

Josh Lund

Aug 23, 2022, 10:15:43 PM8/23/22
to Standard Ebooks

Emma Sweeney

Aug 24, 2022, 12:36:35 AM8/24/22
to Standard Ebooks
Great work! I filed some minor issues in your repository. Let me know when you are done or if you have any questions.

Emma
On Tuesday, August 23, 2022 at 10:15:43 PM UTC-4 josh...@gmail.com wrote:
Ready for review!

Josh Lund

Aug 24, 2022, 6:29:37 PM8/24/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks, Emma! I just added some new commits that should (hopefully) address everything that you found. If nothing else, all 12 of the tasks you added have moved at least a little closer to being correct :)

I was only able to find an exact match for the text in the epigraph of Chapter 20 (which is cited as being from "Chapter of Accidents") within copies of Charlotte Temple itself. I found a copy of the original text for that play, and I added it to the list of reference sources in content.opf. It seems as though Rowson adapted and modified one of the lines that's spoken by the "Governor Harcourt" character.

Original
"...virtue never looks so lovely as when she stretches out her hand to the fallen."

Rowson's Variation
"Virtue never appears so amiable as when reaching forth her hand to raise a fallen sister."

Because the original text is a line of spoken dialog, I followed SEMOS 5.8.2 for Rowson's variation in the Chapter 20 epigraph. The endnote in the main epigraph (before the book begins) indicates that the lines attributed to "Romeo and Juliet" may have similarly been modified or adapted. I also added the play tag to that R&J citation as well. Does that all seem OK?

I also rebased and left "Add cover image" as the final commit again, just to make it easier if any adjustments to the cover image are necessary. The rest of today's commits are new.

Thanks again for your thorough review. I appreciate your help and expertise!

Josh

Emma Sweeney

Aug 25, 2022, 1:39:01 AM8/25/22
to Standard Ebooks
Because the original text is a line of spoken dialog, I followed SEMOS 5.8.2 for Rowson's variation in the Chapter 20 epigraph. The endnote in the main epigraph (before the book begins) indicates that the lines attributed to "Romeo and Juliet" may have similarly been modified or adapted. I also added the play tag to that R&J citation as well. Does that all seem OK?

That sounds fine.

You have the epigraphs formatted correctly.

I filed two tiny issues I missed during the first review.

Emma

Josh Lund

Aug 25, 2022, 1:58:00 AM8/25/22
to Standard Ebooks
Awesome! Those are both fixed now too.

Emma Sweeney

Aug 25, 2022, 3:03:03 AM8/25/22
to Standard Ebooks
I don't see any other issues. Alex, this one is ready for you.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Aug 25, 2022, 4:53:41 PM8/25/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, very good work Josh. The only thing missing was CSS for full-page
epigraphs which I added for you. Otherwise great attention to detail in
the production and in correcting against newer editions!

I've gone ahead and released it. If you'd like to work on something more
complex, check out our Wanted list for some options, or pitch us
something else that might interest you.
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f5fc64a8-7f12-403f-b74e-d839b50a4dafn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f5fc64a8-7f12-403f-b74e-d839b50a4dafn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Josh Lund

Aug 26, 2022, 3:45:14 AM8/26/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the epigraph assist and positive feedback, and thanks to Emma, David, and Vince as well. It's exciting to see this get released. I had a lot of fun working on this production, and I would definitely like to help with more.

Josh