[New Project] The Cossacks by Leo Tolstoy

52 views
Skip to first unread message

Bhuvanesh Tomar

unread,
Nov 25, 2022, 7:03:18 PM11/25/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Alex,

I would like to work on The Cossacks by Leo Tolstoy


Let me know if better sources should be used for reference.

Thanks,
Bhuvanesh

Alex Cabal

unread,
Nov 25, 2022, 11:13:50 PM11/25/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great, that one would be a good start.

However you can't use the scans you found, because they are by a
different translator.

The PG transcription is translated by the Maudes, who were Tolstoy's
official translators. You should find page scans of the same
translation. Shouldn't be too hard.

Make sure to read the Standard Ebooks Manual of Style before starting,
as you won't know what to fix if you haven't read the standards. In
particular, please closely review the semantics, high level patterns,
and typography sections:

https://standardebooks.org/manual

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/4-semantics

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/7-high-level-structural-patterns

https://standardebooks.org/manual/latest/8-typography

The step by step guide will take you from start to finish:

https://standardebooks.org/contribute/producing-an-ebook-step-by-step

Please email often if you have any questions at all. Our standards are
well-established so there is probably already a standard for formatting
whatever problem you've encountered.

When you're ready, email back with a link to your Github repository so
that I can mark you as having started.

Have fun! :)
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/871174a9-6ae3-4715-9c7b-0482d9d03a45n%40googlegroups.com <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/871174a9-6ae3-4715-9c7b-0482d9d03a45n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bhuvanesh Tomar

unread,
Nov 27, 2022, 4:35:24 PM11/27/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I am still trying to find the right scans which match PG.


You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/3fWzlZEeMOI/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c46287be-f6f4-594e-8904-7313723a8027%40standardebooks.org.

Vince

unread,
Nov 27, 2022, 6:28:47 PM11/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Here is a Hathitrust record with two copies of the (a?) Maude translation, titled The Cossacks and other Tales of the Caucasus. However, the text does not match PG.

Here is an IA link to Tales of Army Life, the later version of the above that has some additional stories. It also says it’s translated by the Maude’s (and has an Editor’s note from Aylmer). The copyright page says
… The Cossacks and other Tales of the Caucasus was first published in The World Classics in 1916, and reprinted in 1924 and 1929. The enlarged volume, under the title of Tales of Army Life, was first issued in this series in 1935, and reprinted in 1943 and 1946.”
The editor’s note from Aylmer in this edition is dated 1935, which makes sense. The Hathitrust is of the 1916 edition being referred to, and the IA is of the 1935 “enlarged volume."

It seems odd to me that one or both of the Maude’s would have re-translated The Cossacks between the initial publication in 1916 and the “enlarged volume” in 1935. (The two translations are, at least in the first few pages, very different—this wasn’t just a touch-up.) It further seems odd that if that happened, that PG would publish the 1935 version. How could they do so?

Vince

unread,
Nov 27, 2022, 6:30:34 PM11/27/22
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry, I realized I didn’t explicitly say—the IA link (the 1935 version) matches the PG text.

Alex Cabal

unread,
Nov 28, 2022, 2:48:10 PM11/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That is a very unusual situation. I'm not sure what happened here. Maybe
the PG transcriber didn't realize the difference or mixed up the
copyright pages when submitting clearance?

In any case I think we can't work on this right now. The 1935 version is
too different, so in my view we should assume it's still copyrighted.

Since we do want the 1935 version and an earlier version, we should set
this one aside for now.

On 11/27/22 5:30 PM, Vince wrote:
> Sorry, I realized I didn’t explicitly say—the IA link (the 1935 version)
> matches the PG text.
>
>> On Nov 27, 2022, at 5:28 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Here <https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/100853170> is a Hathitrust
>> record with two copies of the (/a/?) Maude translation, titled The
>> Cossacks/and other Tales of the Caucasus/. However, the text does not
>> match PG.
>>
>> Here <https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.76583> is an IA
>> link to /Tales of Army Life/, the later version of the above that has
>> some additional stories. It also says it’s translated by the Maude’s
>> (and has an Editor’s note from Aylmer). The copyright page says
>>
>> “/… The Cossacks and other Tales of the Caucasus/ was first
>> published in /The World Classics/ in 1916, and reprinted in 1924
>> and 1929. The enlarged volume, under the title of /Tales of Army
>> Life/, was first issued in this series in 1935, and reprinted in
>> 1943 and 1946.”
>>
>> The editor’s note from Aylmer in this edition is dated 1935, which
>> makes sense. The Hathitrust is of the 1916 edition being referred to,
>> and the IA is of the 1935 “enlarged volume."
>>
>> It seems odd to me that one or both of the Maude’s would have
>> re-translated/ The Cossacks/ between the initial publication in 1916
>> and the “enlarged volume” in 1935. (The two translations are, at least
>> in the first few pages, /very/ different—this wasn’t just a touch-up.)
>> It further seems odd that if that happened, that PG would publish the
>> 1935 version. How could they do so?
>>
>>
>>> On Nov 27, 2022, at 3:35 PM, Bhuvanesh Tomar
>>> <bhuvane...@gmail.com <mailto:bhuvane...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, I am still trying to find the right scans which match PG.
>>>
>>> Here is a link to my repository
>>> https://github.com/btomar/leo-tolstoy_the-cossacks_aylmer-maude_louise-maude <https://github.com/btomar/leo-tolstoy_the-cossacks_aylmer-maude_louise-maude>
>>>
>>> On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 11:13 PM Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great, that one would be a good start.
>>>
>>> However you can't use the scans you found, because they are by a
>>> different translator.
>>>
>>> The PG transcription is translated by the Maudes, who were Tolstoy's
>>> official translators. You should find page scans of the same
>>> translation. Shouldn't be too hard.
>>
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9FFDA8E3-968F-49C4-B0AB-82B0F0A1A75E%40letterboxes.org <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/9FFDA8E3-968F-49C4-B0AB-82B0F0A1A75E%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Bhuvanesh Tomar

unread,
Nov 28, 2022, 8:54:52 PM11/28/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, I will pick something else then.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/3fWzlZEeMOI/unsubscribe.
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages