[Next project] From the Earth to the Moon by Jules Verne

Genevieve Segol

Aug 2, 2021, 3:03:53 PM8/2/21
to Standard Ebooks
Off to a great start.
I get an error when creating the draft.  The message is:

Couldn’t parse Project Gutenberg ebook source. This is usually due to invalid HTML in the ebook.

(Source: pg-id = 12901)

How can I fix this?

Thank you.

Vince

Aug 2, 2021, 3:28:02 PM8/2/21
to Standard Ebooks
Nothing; as the message says, the PG HTML is bad. You’ll have to manually download the HTML (page source) and save it as body.xhtml, then go from there as usual; the tools should let you know what the problems are from there.

Genevieve Segol

Aug 2, 2021, 5:46:51 PM8/2/21
to Standard Ebooks

Genevieve Segol

Aug 4, 2021, 4:50:57 PM8/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
I get an error while adding the markers to split the file:
perl -pi -e 's|<h5|<!--se:split--><h5|g' src/epub/text/body.xhtml

The error is :
 perl -pi: command not found

I am still using SE version 2.1.0 and MacOS 11.4
Thanks

Robin Whittleton

Aug 4, 2021, 4:54:04 PM8/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
Have you accidentally put an underscore before perl? That’d cause a command not found error in Bash.

(I’m also on 11.4 and it has, for now, a system version of Perl installed that should understand the SE commends without problem)

-Robin

Genevieve Segol

Aug 5, 2021, 5:07:13 AM8/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
I probably did even though I can't see it.  I retyped the command and now it works.

Thank you!

Genevieve Segol

Aug 5, 2021, 5:31:34 AM8/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
Each <p> and <h#> element includes a unique identifier, e.g., <h5 id="id00075">, , <p id="id00077">
The id values are incremented regularly throughout the text,
Question:
Are these id= * useful or is this clutter that should be removed?

Thank you.

Emma Sweeney

Aug 5, 2021, 6:08:29 AM8/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
You can get rid of the those.

Emma

Genevieve Segol

Aug 15, 2021, 5:50:13 AM8/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
Suggested cover image:

From the National Gallery of Art.
"This image is in the public domain"

Alex Cabal

Aug 16, 2021, 12:42:30 PM8/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That works, thanks!

On 8/15/21 4:50 AM, Genevieve Segol wrote:
> Suggested cover image:
> https://www.nga.gov/collection/art-object-page.1225.html
>
> From the National Gallery of Art.
> "This image is in the public domain"
>
> On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 12:08:29 PM UTC+2 Emma Sweeney wrote:
>
> You can get rid of the those.
>
> Emma
> On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 5:31:34 AM UTC-4 genevie...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> Each <p> and <h#> element includes a unique identifier,
> e.g., <h5 id="id00075">, , <p id="id00077">
> The id values are incremented regularly throughout the text,
> _Question:_
> Are these id= * useful or is this clutter that should be removed?
>
> Thank you.
>
> On Thursday, August 5, 2021 at 11:07:13 AM UTC+2 Genevieve Segol
> wrote:
>
> I probably did even though I can't see it.  I retyped the
> command and now it works.
>
> Thank you!
>
> On Wednesday, August 4, 2021 at 10:54:04 PM UTC+2 robin wrote:
>
> Have you accidentally put an underscore before perl?
> That’d cause a command not found error in Bash.
>
> (I’m also on 11.4 and it has, for now, a system version
> of Perl installed that should understand the SE commends
> without problem)
>
> -Robin
>
>> On 4 Aug 2021, at 22:50, Genevieve Segol
>> <genevie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I get an error while adding the markers to split the file:
>> perl -pi -e 's|<h5|<!--se:split--><h5|g'
>> _src/epub/text/body.xhtml_
>> _
>> _
>> The error is :
>> __perl -pi: command not found
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/373a1aa7-cd7f-4015-bc4c-b7ee8b576618n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5c1e3fd4-4651-4643-9bbc-d005c53567cfn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5c1e3fd4-4651-4643-9bbc-d005c53567cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Genevieve Segol

Aug 20, 2021, 5:25:56 PM8/20/21
to Standard Ebooks
I need help with css.

When I ran lint, I got an error pointing to a missing style:

Semantic found, but missing corresponding style in local.css.

<abbr epub:type="se:era">

So, I added this style, which I found in an example of the Standard Manual (#8.9.5):

abbr.era{

font-variant: all-small-caps;

}

But that did not do the trick:  I now have two errors instead of one: 1) the original error is still there and 2) "Unused CSS selector abbr.era"

So, what is the right spec in local.css?
Thanks!

Vince

Aug 20, 2021, 5:30:46 PM8/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Oh dear, it looks like the example wasn’t updated when it was changed to use epub:type instead a class.

It should look like the other CSS entries that use the epub:type for selector; see, e.g., 8.10.1. Substitute the se:era for the z3998:acronym.

Alex Cabal

Aug 20, 2021, 5:30:50 PM8/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The manual is out of date, use abbr[epub|type~="se:era"]

On 8/20/21 4:25 PM, Genevieve Segol wrote:
> *I need help with css.*
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/373a1aa7-cd7f-4015-bc4c-b7ee8b576618n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/373a1aa7-cd7f-4015-bc4c-b7ee8b576618n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> > --
> send
> > an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com
> > <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> >
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5c1e3fd4-4651-4643-9bbc-d005c53567cfn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5c1e3fd4-4651-4643-9bbc-d005c53567cfn%40googlegroups.com>
>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5c1e3fd4-4651-4643-9bbc-d005c53567cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5c1e3fd4-4651-4643-9bbc-d005c53567cfn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e1add0e-9be4-4377-b561-6e27a8eb3f12n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e1add0e-9be4-4377-b561-6e27a8eb3f12n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Genevieve Segol

Aug 22, 2021, 6:39:27 AM8/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
Should a theatrical work be called a book or a play, i.e.,
epub:type="se:name.publication.book" or
epub:type="se:name.publication.play" ?

Thanks.

B Keith

Aug 22, 2021, 10:14:28 AM8/22/21
to Standard Ebooks
epub:type="se:name.publication.play

:-). Bruce
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

On Aug 22, 2021, at 4:39 AM, Genevieve Segol <genevie...@gmail.com> wrote:

epub:type="se:name.publication.play

Genevieve Segol

Aug 28, 2021, 9:29:14 AM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Error s-022: The <title> element of titlepage.svg does not match the attribute text in titlepage.xhtml.
Can someone please help me find the mismatch?  It may have something to do with the translator's name (Ward, Lock &Co.), which gave me headaches, but I cannot find what is wrong.

Thank you!

titlepage.xhtml
titlepage.svg

maticstric

Aug 28, 2021, 12:00:31 PM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hard to say without the whole repo but my guess is that you're looking at the wrong titlepage.svg. There's two! One in ./image/titlepage.svg (the one you attached. I think it defines how the titlepage should look and then build-images makes a svg with only <path> tags and puts it into ./src/epub/images/titlepage.svg ?) and another in ./src/epub/images/titlepage.svg (this is the one that's actually in the final ebook afaik) Make sure both of them have the same <title> tag (cover.svg also needs to have the same one).

You should also capitalize "jules verne" in all of these. Right now it says "...edition of From the Earth to the Moon, by jules verne. Translated..."

Do you remember how you got into this mess? Because it should be working automatically. It might be worth redoing the "Create the cover image" step and running se build-images again. If it's still not working there might be some bug in the tools.

Genevieve Segol

Aug 28, 2021, 2:44:28 PM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the feedback.
I did not know there are two titlepage.svg.  I will look into that.

I think I  "got into this mess" initially because of the repo name, which has to include the translator's name.  So, I started with "jules-verne_from-the-earth-to-the-moon_ward-lock-co" as directory name.  From this (I assume), se create-draft interpreted the translator as 'ward loc co'; so, I manually changed that name to the correct appellation--Ward, Lock & Co.--in several locations. The additional catch is that some files accept the ampersand as  & while others want &amp;.  I am finding out by trial and error :-)

I don't see how I could have replicated exactly the translator's name in the repo name--with ampersand and comma.

Robin Whittleton

Aug 28, 2021, 3:12:49 PM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
I assumed that create-draft should have handled that correctly, but just in case I ran a test and found out that it’s broken:

$ se create-draft --author "Test" --title "Test" --translator "Ward, Lock & Co."
 Error  Couldn’t parse SVG file: /Users/robin/Code/standardebooks/corpus/test_test_ward-lock-co/images/cover.svg.

I’ll fix this now.

-Robin

Genevieve Segol

Aug 28, 2021, 3:14:13 PM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
@maticstric

Now that I have reconciled the two titlepage.svg, it works (i.e., no complaint from lint).  Thanks again.

Genevieve Segol

Aug 28, 2021, 4:01:51 PM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
Submitted for review:

Notes:
1. The translation used both plurals of "cannon":  "cannon" and "cannons"; I standardized all occurrences to "cannons."
2.  In Ch2, we find: "“About 1835, a pamphlet, translated from the New-York American, related that . . . ”  I could not find what the "New-York American" is.  There was an American newspaper by that name, but it started in the 1900s.  Consequently, i did not add any epub info to the <i> tag.
3.  I am not sure how the title of Ch 12, which is latin, should be formatted. the title is "Urbi et Orbi."
From the manual of style (8.5.1) "Titles or subtitles that are entirely non-English-language are not italicized. However, they do have an xml:lang attribute."  But, because of the following spec in local.css, the title turns out to have the h2 small cap (for titles) in italics.
body [xml|lang]{
font-style: italic;
}

Furthermore,  se lint returns an error if 'et' is not capitalized. I think it should not be capitalized since 'and' would not be.  I left it as "Urbi Et Orbi" (including the quotes which were in the scans) until you tell me to do otherwise.
4. I left the reviewer's name (Producer-2) TBD

Thank you.

Robin Whittleton

Aug 28, 2021, 4:45:40 PM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
I tried to patch this but the complexity was running away from me, so I’ve just filed https://github.com/standardebooks/tools/issues/474 instead.

Alex Cabal

Aug 28, 2021, 6:13:21 PM8/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Bruce can you review this? Make sure to double check instances of the
translator in SVGs, metadata, titlepage alt, etc., because there was a
bug during create-draft.

On 8/28/21 3:01 PM, Genevieve Segol wrote:
> [...]
> name, which has to include the translator's name.  So, I started
> with "jules-verne_from-the-earth-to-the-moon_ward-lock-co" as
> directory name.  From this (I assume), se create-draft
> interpreted the translator as 'ward loc co'; so, I manually
> changed that name to the correct appellation--Ward, Lock &
> Co.--in several locations. The additional catch is that some
> files accept the ampersand as & while others want&amp;.  I am
> finding out by trial and error :-)
>
> I don't see how I could have replicated exactly the translator's
> name in the repo name--with ampersand and comma.
>
> On Saturday, August 28, 2021 at 6:00:31 PM UTC+2 maticstric wrote:
>
> Hard to say without the whole repo but my guess is that
> you're looking at the wrong titlepage.svg. There's two! One
> in ./image/titlepage.svg (the one you attached. I /think/ it

BTK

Aug 28, 2021, 7:04:04 PM8/28/21
to Standard Ebooks
I can do that. Probably not until Monday though.

Alex Cabal

Aug 28, 2021, 7:30:23 PM8/28/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
On 8/28/21 3:01 PM, Genevieve Segol wrote:> 2.  In Ch2, we find: "“About
1835, a pamphlet, translated from the
> /New-York American,/ related that . . . ”  I could not find what the
> "New-York American" is.  There was an American newspaper by that name,
> but it started in the 1900s.  Consequently, i did not add any epub info
> to the <i> tag.

That just sounds like a journal or newspaper to me, you can add those
semantics.

> 3.  I am not sure how the title of Ch 12, which is latin, should be
> formatted. the title is *"Urbi et Orbi."*
> From the manual of style (8.5.1) "Titles or subtitles that are
> /entirely/ non-English-language are not italicized. However, they do
> have an xml:lang attribute."  But, because of the following spec in
> local.css, the title turns out to have the h2 small cap (for titles) in
> italics.
> body [xml|lang]{
> font-style: italic;
> }

If that selector is selecting the wrong things, then you can change the
selector. Change it to be more specific, so that it only selects what
you wanted italicized to begin with.

Once you add xml:lang to the Latin title, lint will no longer complain
because it ignores titles with xml:lang.

B Keith

Aug 30, 2021, 12:17:24 PM8/30/21
to Standard Ebooks
I’ve logged a lot small issues that need attention. Let me know when you are done and I can do a quick double check.

Bruce
_________

On Aug 28, 2021, at 2:01 PM, Genevieve Segol <genevie...@gmail.com> wrote:

Submitted for review:

Notes:
1. The translation used both plurals of "cannon":  "cannon" and "cannons"; I standardized all occurrences to "cannons."
2.  In Ch2, we find: "“About 1835, a pamphlet, translated from the New-York American, related that . . . ”  I could not find what the "New-York American" is.  There was an American newspaper by that name, but it started in the 1900s.  Consequently, i did not add any epub info to the <i> tag.
3.  I am not sure how the title of Ch 12, which is latin, should be formatted. the title is "Urbi et Orbi."
From the manual of style (8.5.1) "Titles or subtitles that are entirely non-English-language are not italicized. However, they do have an xml:lang attribute."  But, because of the following spec in local.css, the title turns out to have the h2 small cap (for titles) in italics.
body [xml|lang]{
font-style: italic;
}

On Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 4:14:28 PM UTC+2 BTK wrote:
epub:type="se:name.publication.play

:-). Bruce
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

On Aug 22, 2021, at 4:39 AM, Genevieve Segol <genevie...@gmail.com> wrote:

epub:type="se:name.publication.play

Genevieve Segol

Aug 31, 2021, 6:19:15 AM8/31/21
to Standard Ebooks
Thank you, Bruce.
I see that most of the issues concern foreign terms that do NOT need an xml:lang decoration because they are in the MW dictionary.  I these cases, do I still need italics (which were in the scans)?

B Keith

Aug 31, 2021, 9:27:17 AM8/31/21
to Standard Ebooks
No. If it is in MW then go ahead and “modernize” the terms and remove the italics — unless they are there for emphasis… which IIRC most of these aren’t

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Genevieve Segol

Sep 1, 2021, 7:38:41 AM9/1/21
to Standard Ebooks
Question for Bruce:
You marked "mismatched diacritics" for Léon /Leon and Crédit/Credit.  But I don't think they are mismatched; they refer to different things.
It is Ponce de Leon vs. Léon Foucault -- a Spanish name vs. a French name.  (Actually, it should be Ponce de León.).
Ditto for
Netherlands Credit vs. Crédit Mobilier - English name vs. French name.

What do I do with this?  Do I leave the "mismatch" and add a <span xml: lang="xx"> like in 8.2.9.2 for non-english names?

Many thanks.

B Keith

Sep 1, 2021, 9:49:05 AM9/1/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sorry I hand actually checked them all… just the aerial one :-). You can leave them as-is since they are proper nouns (and both in Merriam Webster btw).

Bruce
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

Genevieve Segol

Sep 2, 2021, 5:28:50 PM9/2/21
to Standard Ebooks
Bruce,
I have made all the required corrections.  I made a new build and will resubmit shortly after proofreading.
Thank you.

Genevieve Segol

Sep 5, 2021, 6:51:11 AM9/5/21
to Standard Ebooks

B Keith

Sep 5, 2021, 11:27:27 AM9/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
Hi Genenvieve,

Could you run clean, typogrify, sematicate and lint one more time and fix the errors.

Note: it was recently pointed out tome that the Manual of Style has changed in regard to ad hominem and a priori
and those italics need to be put back in. https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.2/single-page#8.9.1.1

I logged a few other small issues as well
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c9132312-c469-40e3-b9bd-d0b9b7c59b91n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Sep 5, 2021, 10:56:53 PM9/5/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Make sure to update the toolset to the latest version, which was just
released the other day.

pipx upgrade standardebooks

On 9/5/21 10:27 AM, B Keith wrote:
> Hi Genenvieve,
>
> Could you run clean, typogrify, sematicate and lint one more time and
> fix the errors.
>
> Note: it was recently pointed out tome that the Manual of Style has
> changed in regard to /ad hominem /and /a priori/
> and those italics need to be put back in.
> https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.2/single-page#8.9.1.1
> <https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.6.2/single-page#8.9.1.1>
>
> I logged a few other small issues as well
> _________
>
> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>
>> On Sep 5, 2021, at 4:51 AM, Genevieve Segol <genevie...@gmail.com
>> <https://github.com/gsegol/jules-verne_from-the-earth-to-the-moon_ward-lock-co>
>> https://www.pgdp.org/ols/tools/display.php?page=002.png&id=projectID405b09afa31c6
>> <https://www.pgdp.org/ols/tools/display.php?page=002.png&id=projectID405b09afa31c6>
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> On Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 11:28:50 PM UTC+2 Genevieve Segol wrote:
>>
>> Bruce,
>> I have made all the required corrections.  I made a new build and
>> will resubmit shortly after proofreading.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 3:49:05 PM UTC+2 BTK wrote:
>>
>> Sorry I hand actually checked them all… just the aerial one
>> :-). You can leave them as-is since they are proper nouns (and
>> both in Merriam Webster btw).
>>
>> Bruce
>> _________
>>
>> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>>> On Sep 1, 2021, at 5:38 AM, Genevieve Segol
>>> <genevie...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Question for Bruce:
>>> You marked "mismatched diacritics" for Léon /Leon and
>>> Crédit/Credit.  But I don't think they are mismatched; they
>>> refer to different things.
>>> It is*Ponce de Leon vs. Léon Foucault*-- a Spanish name vs. a
>>> French name.  (Actually, it should be Ponce de León.).
>>> Ditto for
>>> *Netherlands Credit vs. Crédit Mobilier*- English name vs.

>>> --
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e47af03-f8af-4574-9e11-cfbd3f372d62n%40googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8e47af03-f8af-4574-9e11-cfbd3f372d62n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c9132312-c469-40e3-b9bd-d0b9b7c59b91n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c9132312-c469-40e3-b9bd-d0b9b7c59b91n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/46793B40-C214-48B2-8D0B-2124E1B50D3C%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/46793B40-C214-48B2-8D0B-2124E1B50D3C%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Genevieve Segol

Sep 7, 2021, 6:39:09 AM9/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
re-resubmitted.

Ran pip upgrade.
Added back italics to "ad hominem" and "a priori";  lint t-063 error otherwise..

B Keith

Sep 7, 2021, 9:46:50 AM9/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
OK Alex,

This looks good to go.

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
To unsubscribe from this topic, visit https://groups.google.com/d/topic/standardebooks/3N4u8iYnuFg/unsubscribe.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/64c4515e-9817-4e7f-8e85-ba1140eed350n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Sep 7, 2021, 12:54:02 PM9/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Excellent, I've gone ahead and released it. Great work Genevieve.

Remember to carefully review the changes modernize-spelling makes. There
were two errors that almost slipped past:

`skilful diverse sank under water` should have been left as `divers`

and

`it was impossible to give anybody a velocity of 12,000 yards a second.`
should have been left as `any body` because we're referring to a body in
physics and not `anybody` as in people.

Let me know what your next project will be!