[Next project] Liberalism by L. T. Hobhouse

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 8, 2022, 3:17:40 PM6/8/22
to Standard Ebooks

Alex Cabal

Jun 8, 2022, 3:19:13 PM6/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great! David, can you manage this one, with Vince reviewing?
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/06c8e81c-a1bc-4adc-b8e3-a0cf751cb390n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/06c8e81c-a1bc-4adc-b8e3-a0cf751cb390n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David Grigg

Jun 8, 2022, 7:35:12 PM6/8/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sure, will do.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0a4c93ec-f409-2f2d-6d8b-c4c394399723%40standardebooks.org.

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 12, 2022, 11:24:09 AM6/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, finished the proofreading.

A few minor questions. First, possible modernizations:
Muammadan -> Mohammedan
primâ faci -> prima facie (drop italics)
public-house -> public house
motor 'bus -> motor bus

I also have some formatting questions.
1) This book contains a bibliography. Presumably we want to keep it?
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.00.12 PM.png

I've tried to format it as in the scans (below), is that right or do we have some standard bibliography template?
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.22.10 PM.png
2) Regarding the Bentham entry, there's a question mark after 1789. It looks like that's the correct date, so can I remove that?

3)  I've formatted this as a definition list, is that right?
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.04.20 PM.png
It looks like this
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.19.01 PM.png
4) Should I leave the letters in this list as unsemanticted italics, or convert to an ordered list?
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.06.31 PM.png

5) Here Hobhouse is talking about John Stuart Mills Autobiography. Should it be semanticated? Since it's capitalized, I'm leaning towards yes.
Screen Shot 2022-06-12 at 5.08.34 PM.png

David Grigg

David Grigg

Jun 12, 2022, 7:50:05 PM6/12/22
to Standard Ebooks
Lucas:

Yes to all the modernizations, but in an [Editorial] commit.

1) We don’t generally include bibliographies as such (though we might use a bibliography as reference to expand references in endnotes). I would drop it.

2) see above

3) Since this isn’t semantically a definition list, I wouldn’t tag it that way. You could treat it it as a series of headings and following text, but I think I would just match the scans with unsemanticated italics around the Article N parts.

4) I would make this an ordered list, with CSS to give it the letters rather than numbers. (list-style-type: lower-alpha;)

5) Yes, treat it with italics and the appropriate semantics.

[...]

Alex Cabal

Jun 13, 2022, 2:32:10 PM6/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Note that `'bus` should have already been fixed by `se
modernize-spelling`. Did it not catch that?

On 6/12/22 6:49 PM, David Grigg wrote:
> [...]
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prima%20facie> (drop
> italics)
> public-house -> public house
> <https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/public%20house>motor
> <https://mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dee504b0-6dd0-4b93-9e9a-77089d4df8d1n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dee504b0-6dd0-4b93-9e9a-77089d4df8d1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> On Thursday, June 9, 2022 at 1:35:12 AM UTC+2 david...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Sure, will do.
> On 9 Jun 2022, 5:19 AM +1000, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org>,
> wrote:
>> Great! David, can you manage this one, with Vince reviewing?
>>
>> On 6/8/22 2:17 PM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
>>> I'd like to make this my next production.

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 13, 2022, 3:58:59 PM6/13/22
to Standard Ebooks

I think that originally the quote had been in the wrong direction.

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 13, 2022, 4:03:16 PM6/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
I went with an allegorical route for the cover. Is that ok?

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 9.56.59 PM.png

It's called "Peace bringing back Prosperity" by Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun.

PD proof (page 42).

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 13, 2022, 5:15:40 PM6/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
If the cover is ok, then I think I only have one final question before review. For the title of one of the chapters, Hobhouse puts quotes around Laissez-faire.

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 11.07.04 PM.png

I've changed them to American quotes for now, but I think it looks a bit strange. He's not quoting anything, so presumably he's using the quotes to indicate that it's a foreign phrase. Since it's not a foreign phrase for our purposes would it be ok to remove them?

David Grigg

Jun 13, 2022, 7:30:08 PM6/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
The cover looks good, but I can’t assess the PD proof, Google Books is blocking me (probably because I live in Australia). Could you maybe send me a screenshot of the relevant page in the book?
On 14 Jun 2022, 6:03 AM +1000, Lukas Bystricky <lukasby...@gmail.com>, wrote:
I went with an allegorical route for the cover. Is that ok?

David Grigg

Jun 13, 2022, 7:31:01 PM6/13/22
to Standard Ebooks
Yes, remove those quotes.
On 14 Jun 2022, 7:15 AM +1000, Lukas Bystricky <lukasby...@gmail.com>, wrote:
If the cover is ok, then I think I only have one final question before review. For the title of one of the chapters, Hobhouse puts quotes around Laissez-faire.

Alex Cabal

Jun 13, 2022, 8:36:18 PM6/13/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting an HTTP 403 from your link, can you send another one?

On 6/13/22 3:03 PM, Lukas Bystricky wrote:
> I went with an allegorical route for the cover. Is that ok?
>
> Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 9.56.59 PM.png
>
> It's called "Peace bringing back Prosperity" by Élisabeth Vigée Le Brun.
>
> PD proof
> <https://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5Qaen15Tl89FXCQMzb8ez726RuJy4cWQ7ONoPl7rOUXOs7coOB4P69nbBGMzOqckOP018K_XnXSAXyvIXVcuI2CXLUjZwg8DZBrNoPysQwVHmvyGhTzl8pqMCNL0nkcnePIIKC_AHiTppNMQ2mqhqwPYWsD4th4wpzkFb-E1tU0WVdyfsURWqD5MwGDAPhOrhFywvISecgvuGuSZscc7VVnUCwfRQBdf1_WXsqUX1rTb68IUe7JUDJ06N_u5QWbw4DJ7Z4h9oCfECrtD2gluiIacZ_dzbag>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/dee504b0-6dd0-4b93-9e9a-77089d4df8d1n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b4eea32b-25ec-40b0-9c02-193893e1350c%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b4eea32b-25ec-40b0-9c02-193893e1350c%40Spark?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5dbdf853-8f2f-40e6-91d1-bce94a320659n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5dbdf853-8f2f-40e6-91d1-bce94a320659n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 14, 2022, 12:01:09 AM6/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
Hmm very strange.

Try this link instead: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Vigée_Lebrun_1755_1842/r0RGAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0

Here's the screenshot.
Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 6.00.10 AM.png

Vince

Jun 14, 2022, 12:07:04 AM6/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That one worked for me, but the link doesn’t go to the page. This one should.

On Jun 13, 2022, at 11:01 PM, Lukas Bystricky <lukasby...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hmm very strange.

Here's the screenshot.

David Grigg

Jun 14, 2022, 12:09:29 AM6/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I'm still geographically blocked. but if Vince has been able to find it, that's proof enough.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 14, 2022, 1:09:47 AM6/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Weird, my post keeps getting deleted for some reason.

Anyways, it's ready for review.

Alex Cabal

Jun 14, 2022, 10:39:48 AM6/14/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That proof works, thanks!

On 6/13/22 11:06 PM, Vince wrote:
> That one worked for me, but the link doesn’t go to the page. This
> <https://books.google.com/books?id=r0RGAQAAIAAJ&newbks=1&newbks_redir=0&pg=PA42-IA3#v=onepage&q&f=false> one
> should.
>
>> On Jun 13, 2022, at 11:01 PM, Lukas Bystricky
>> <lukasby...@gmail.com <mailto:lukasby...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Hmm very strange.
>>
>> Try this link instead:
>> https://www.google.com/books/edition/Vigée_Lebrun_1755_1842/r0RGAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0
>> <https://www.google.com/books/edition/Vig%C3%A9e_Lebrun_1755_1842/r0RGAQAAIAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0>
>>
>> Here's the screenshot.
>> <Screen Shot 2022-06-14 at 6.00.10 AM.png>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/76DE862F-D9E2-45BF-A816-C233ED566839%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/76DE862F-D9E2-45BF-A816-C233ED566839%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Jun 14, 2022, 11:09:58 AM6/14/22
to Standard Ebooks
All right, I’ll look at it in the next day or two.

Vince

Jun 15, 2022, 12:37:03 AM6/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Good work, Lucas! I added a few trivial items to a GitHub issue, but everything looked great as usual.

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 15, 2022, 2:03:24 AM6/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the review Vince. I think I took care of everything there. Still find it strange to write "buses" as the plural of buss.

Vince

Jun 15, 2022, 10:53:57 AM6/15/22
to Standard Ebooks
That would be strange. But it’s the plural of bus. :) Admittedly, busses seems the logical choice for the plural of bus, too, but buss is a separate word with a completely separate meaning, so busses was confusing (was it the plural of bus or buss?). Over time buses became the preferred choice for the former. Welcome to the melting pot that is the English language.

I’ll note that changing Liberalisme to Libéralisme is an editorial change, but the tagging of it is not. I’ll leave it with Alex to determine whether that single commit needs to be two, but I suspect he might.

Alex, there is a separate issue you’re tagged on, and once that is answered/resolved, this is ready for you.

Lukas Bystricky

Jun 19, 2022, 4:32:05 PM6/19/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, not sure if you saw this, but I made that editorial change.

Alex Cabal

Jun 22, 2022, 2:26:59 PM6/22/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK great. Sorry for the delay. This all looks very good and I've gone
ahead and released it. Thanks!