[Project] Three Sisters by Anton Chekhov

Asher Bohmer

Mar 14, 2021, 8:29:39 PM3/14/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Some Chekhov this time: Three SistersPG uses the Julius West translation (page scans); this is the Scribner edition, and apparently also used by Dover Thrift paperbacks. Incidentally, this translation calls the play “The Three Sisters;” I would argue that the most common modern title, which is also used on Wikipedia, is without the definite article. As far as I can tell, the only other PD translation is by Jenny Covan. (In fact, there aren’t many PD translations of Chekhov’s major plays.) Modern scholarship about translations seems to focus on the plethora of modern translations (if you want a funny read, check out this scathing review of one such example). West’s translation turns up about 4 times as many Google results. Once I have the translation choice OK’d, I’ll actually start the process.

I have two good options (and a couple backups) for cover art. I’m more of a fan of the first option, I think: it was painted much closer in time to the writing of the play and the people in the painting are actually sisters, though the sisters in question are not Russian. The second option has the advantage of being European, if that matters, and looking more dour, which also feels thematically relevant. For the first, I can’t tell if I like the closer crop that makes the women take up more of the frame, or the farther crop where you can see that it’s the three of them sitting on their own.

Alex Cabal

Mar 14, 2021, 8:51:36 PM3/14/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
The first one is already in use for Zuleika Dobson, but it might be a
better match for this play IF the costume is appropriate. Are the three
sisters aristocrats that would dress that way for a fancy portrait?

If it's a good match then we can use this one for Checkhov provided you
find a replacement for Zuleika Dobson. Zuleika is a highly attractive
young woman who hypnotizes men with her unusual beauty, but she is
ultimately unattainable. So a portrait in a similar vein as the current
one would do.

On 3/14/21 7:29 PM, Asher Bohmer wrote:
> Some Chekhov this time: /Three Sisters/. PG uses the Julius West
> translation <http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7986> (page scans
> <https://archive.org/details/playstchekoff00chek/page/n9/mode/2up?q=>);
> this is the Scribner edition, and apparently also used by Dover Thrift
> paperbacks. Incidentally, this translation calls the play “The Three
> Sisters;” I would argue that the most common modern title, which is also
> used on Wikipedia, is without the definite article. As far as I can
> tell, the only other PD translation is by Jenny Covan. (In fact, there
> aren’t many PD translations of Chekhov’s major plays
> <https://archive.org/search.php?query=(plays)%20AND%20creator:(chekhov)%20AND%20date:%5B1850-01-01%20TO%201925-12-31%5D>.)
> Modern scholarship about translations seems to focus on the plethora of
> modern translations (if you want a funny read, check out this scathing
> review <https://www.euppublishing.com/doi/full/10.3366/tal.2011.0041> of
> one such example). West’s translation turns up about 4 times as many
> Google results. Once I have the translation choice OK’d, I’ll actually
> start the process.
>
> I have two good options (and a couple backups) for cover art. I’m more
> of a fan of the first option, I think: it was painted much closer in
> time to the writing of the play and the people in the painting are
> actually sisters, though the sisters in question are not Russian. The
> second option has the advantage of being European, if that matters, and
> looking more dour, which also feels thematically relevant. For the
> first, I can’t tell if I like the closer crop that makes the women take
> up more of the frame, or the farther crop where you can see that it’s
> the three of them sitting on their own.
>
> Cover art option 1 PD proof
> <https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=pst.000006386115&view=1up&seq=108> |
> Cover art option 2 PD proof
> <https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/435714?searchField=All&amp;sortBy=Relevance&amp;what=Paintings&amp;ao=on&amp;ft=three+women&amp;offset=0&amp;rpp=20&amp;pos=9>
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/13AC690A-2EFA-49D2-A80E-C150F9479901%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/13AC690A-2EFA-49D2-A80E-C150F9479901%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

Mar 15, 2021, 5:41:13 AM3/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
Well, that's a thematic question. The sisters view themselves as that sort of person, and are planning to return to Moscow from the more provincial city where they live. By the end of the play, they are absolutely not: their house has been mortgaged to pay their brother's gambling debts and they are stuck in their city indefinitely.

Asher Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 12:39:02 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I’m going to go ahead with the Julius West translation, and I’m leaning towards the second option for cover art unless anybody else who’s read the play can chip in with an opinion to the contrary.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Standard Ebooks" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/92102885-ad08-44f7-9531-8365a20f20a6n%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Cabal

Mar 16, 2021, 1:50:33 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK!

On 3/16/21 11:38 AM, Asher Smith wrote:
> OK, I’m going to go ahead with the Julius West translation, and I’m
> leaning towards the second option for cover art unless anybody else
> who’s read the play can chip in with an opinion to the contrary.
>
>> On 15 Mar 2021, at 09:41, Asher Smith <forlackofa...@gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/13AC690A-2EFA-49D2-A80E-C150F9479901%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/13AC690A-2EFA-49D2-A80E-C150F9479901%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>>

>> --
>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/92102885-ad08-44f7-9531-8365a20f20a6n%40googlegroups.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/92102885-ad08-44f7-9531-8365a20f20a6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70702D29-095D-4DD6-8490-ABF5C3A193DD%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/70702D29-095D-4DD6-8490-ABF5C3A193DD%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 5:20:24 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
How do I handle stage directions within stage directions? My instinct is just to cut the brackets out entirely in an editorial commit.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/499834d8-fe0d-8f48-92ba-f451df4592bf%40standardebooks.org.

Asher Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 5:26:15 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
At the end of acts it says “Curtain” without the formatting that normally accompanies stage directions. Should I do this differently to other stage directions?

On 16 Mar 2021, at 21:20, Asher Smith <ForLackOfA...@gmail.com> wrote:

How do I handle stage directions within stage directions? My instinct is just to cut the brackets out entirely in an editorial commit.
<PastedGraphic-1.png>

B Keith

Mar 16, 2021, 6:16:11 PM3/16/21
to Standard Ebooks
My instinct is those are just parenthetical comments within the stage directions. I would leave them in parentheses.

And just remove the curtain stage direction.
_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus

On Mar 16, 2021, at 3:20 PM, Asher Smith <forlackofa...@gmail.com> wrote:

How do I handle stage directions within stage directions? My instinct is just to cut the brackets out entirely in an editorial commit.
<PastedGraphic-1.png>
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/4B805C0C-9A2E-4EC8-90C7-46056F18D084%40gmail.com.

Asher Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 6:54:06 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I’ve put them in parentheses (not brackets) and removed the curtain stage directions.

I have a couple questions about the dramatic personae (which I’ve renamed to “Characters):
  • I’ve made an editorial commit to change [Ages are stated in brackets.] to (Ages are stated in parentheses.) given that they are using parentheses
  • Should this note about ages be not-italicised?
  • How do I do the bracket to show that Olga/Masha/Irina are his sisters? Should I try to replicate “together” dialogue-style bars in a table?
  • Ghosts uses italicised text for the names and normal text for the descriptions in lines underneath. I have considered this, but the CSS targeting that’s used there probably won’t work for the sisters and it’s not a clear cut distinction (e.g. Masha name in Kuligin’s description)

Alex Cabal

Mar 16, 2021, 7:26:12 PM3/16/21
On 3/16/21 5:54 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> OK, I’ve put them in parentheses (not brackets) and removed the curtain
> stage directions.
>
> I have a couple questions about the dramatic personae (which I’ve
> renamed to “Characters):

Please keep it Dramatis Personae

> * I’ve made an editorial commit to change [Ages are stated in
> brackets.] to (Ages are stated in parentheses.) given that they are
> using parentheses

OK

> * Should this note about ages be not-italicised?

Sure

> * How do I do the bracket to show that Olga/Masha/Irina are his
> sisters? Should I try to replicate “together” dialogue-style bars in
> a table?

Yes. That kind of big bracket isn't really possible in the general case,
so use a 1px border instead

> * /Ghosts/ uses italicised text for the names and normal text for the
> descriptions in lines underneath. I have considered this, but the
> CSS targeting that’s used there probably won’t work for the sisters
> and it’s not a clear cut distinction (e.g. Masha name in Kuligin’s
> description)

Follow whatever is done in previous dramatis personae. We normalize it
to our style

Asher Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 8:16:20 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I think I’ve replicated it well enough. Here’s my repo: https://github.com/ACBSmith/anton-chekhov_three-sisters_julius-west. Would you mind taking a particular look at the dramatis personae?

I’ve based the formatting on Ghosts. Can I request that if we like this, we formally codify this style of descriptions in the manual?

Alex Cabal

Mar 16, 2021, 8:18:52 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
They already are:
https://standardebooks.org/manual/1.4.0/7-high-level-structural-patterns#7.6.6.4

On 3/16/21 7:16 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> OK, I think I’ve replicated it well enough. Here’s my repo:
> https://github.com/ACBSmith/anton-chekhov_three-sisters_julius-west
> <https://github.com/ACBSmith/anton-chekhov_three-sisters_julius-west>. Would
> you mind taking a particular look at the dramatis personae?
>
> I’ve based the formatting on /Ghosts/. Can I request that if we like
> this, we formally codify this style of descriptions in the manual?
>
>> On 16 Mar 2021, at 23:26, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bdd97cb2-eca0-9b7d-3423-e127b763962c%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/067711BB-32C9-4628-8190-EB7585C1892C%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/067711BB-32C9-4628-8190-EB7585C1892C%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Mar 16, 2021, 8:20:50 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You don't need to put the characters and descriptions in separate <p>s.
They can go on one line, in the same font style. Ghosts should be
updated, I'll do that soon

On 3/16/21 7:16 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> OK, I think I’ve replicated it well enough. Here’s my repo:
> https://github.com/ACBSmith/anton-chekhov_three-sisters_julius-west
> <https://github.com/ACBSmith/anton-chekhov_three-sisters_julius-west>. Would
> you mind taking a particular look at the dramatis personae?
>
> I’ve based the formatting on /Ghosts/. Can I request that if we like
> this, we formally codify this style of descriptions in the manual?
>
>> On 16 Mar 2021, at 23:26, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> standardebook...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:standardebook...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/bdd97cb2-eca0-9b7d-3423-e127b763962c%40standardebooks.org>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/067711BB-32C9-4628-8190-EB7585C1892C%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/067711BB-32C9-4628-8190-EB7585C1892C%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 8:21:52 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I specifically mean the second line with description being not italicised. The CSS that’s been added to Ghosts for this is:

[epub|type~="z3998:dramatis-personae"] li p + p{
font-style: normal;
text-indent: 0;
}

This isn’t in the manual or the examples.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/0715e49b-0545-ac8a-d334-c99ba5b335b0%40standardebooks.org.

Asher Smith

Mar 16, 2021, 8:24:03 PM3/16/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Oh, OK–if Ghosts isn’t right, I’ll undo that.

I would note that I quite like the look of the description of the character being in a different font style. The page scans for the Chekhov do it by making the character names small caps, much like our persona tags. I think it helps delineate the character name nicely.

mgbe...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2021, 1:40:41 PM3/17/21
to Standard Ebooks
Wasn't sure if the cover was settled, but I came across this picture of three women (and titled "At the Play", appropriately enough for a play!) in a 1909 collection of paintings. https://archive.org/details/picturesof1909pa00lond/page/23/mode/1up. I have had absolutely no luck finding a high resolution image, though... John Henry Frederick Bacon isn't the best known of painters, it appears.
Screenshot 2021-03-17 103602.png

Asher Smith

Mar 17, 2021, 7:33:50 PM3/17/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
I suspect not, I’m afraid, if a high-res version doesn’t exist.

On 17 Mar 2021, at 17:40, mgbe...@gmail.com <mgbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wasn't sure if the cover was settled, but I came across this picture of three women (and titled "At the Play", appropriately enough for a play!) in a 1909 collection of paintings. https://archive.org/details/picturesof1909pa00lond/page/23/mode/1up. I have had absolutely no luck finding a high resolution image, though... John Henry Frederick Bacon isn't the best known of painters, it appears.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/8eda6fb2-9e4f-47b9-99e3-e0aa9cd2c4fcn%40googlegroups.com.
<Screenshot 2021-03-17 103602.png>

Asher Smith

Mar 21, 2021, 4:50:55 PM3/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
I'm going to put this on hold. I've realised that I've been putting off proofreading because my pandemic-induced burned-out brain can't handle anything quite so miserable at the moment. I love this play and will come back to it, but I'm going to find myself a nice farce to do first. (Any suggestions would be welcome)

B Keith

Mar 21, 2021, 5:02:09 PM3/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
These still some Wilde, Take a look at Arthur Pinero for 19th century or Goldsmith for 18th century. Brandon’s Chalrey’s Aunt is a favourite but only enough Gutenberg hasn’t  transcribed it yet.

_________

Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to standardebook...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/169dd563-d0f6-4b12-9f64-a9e54119788bn%40googlegroups.com.

Asher Smith

Apr 3, 2021, 7:27:44 PM4/3/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, this is now ready for review. Clean build, no lint, etc.

  • One lingering question I have is about use of <persona> tags. My understanding is that they’re only used for named characters, so I’ve omitted them for “the maid” and some musicians that pass across the stage.
  • I’ve left “thirty-five thousand” left written out. I think because it’s a round number, it’s not precise, and doesn’t need turning into digits

I must say, I’ve not enjoyed this production overmuch. I found the translation much clunkier than the modern one I first read and wanted nothing so much as to go through with an [Editorial] chainsaw and strip what felt to me to be excessive ellipses.

Alex Cabal

Apr 4, 2021, 12:35:34 PM4/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Emma can you review this?

On 4/3/21 6:27 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> OK, this is now ready for review. Clean build, no lint, etc.
>
> * One lingering question I have is about use of <persona> tags. My
> understanding is that they’re only used for named characters, so
> I’ve omitted them for “the maid” and some musicians that pass across
> the stage.
> * I’ve left “thirty-five thousand” left written out. I think because
> it’s a round number, it’s not precise, and doesn’t need turning into
> digits
>

> I must say, I’ve not enjoyed this production overmuch. I found the
> translation much clunkier than the modern one I first read and wanted
> nothing so much as to go through with an [Editorial] chainsaw and strip
> what felt to me to be excessive ellipses.
>
>> On 21 Mar 2021, at 21:02, B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> These still some Wilde, Take a look at Arthur Pinero for
>> 19th century or Goldsmith for 18th century. Brandon’s Chalrey’s Aunt
>> is a favourite but only enough Gutenberg hasn’t  transcribed it yet.
>> _________
>>
>> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>>
>>> On Mar 21, 2021, at 2:50 PM, Asher Smith
>>> <forlackofa...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:forlackofa...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to put this on hold. I've realised that I've been putting
>>> off proofreading because my pandemic-induced burned-out brain can't
>>> handle anything quite so miserable at the moment. I love this play
>>> and will come back to it, but I'm going to find myself a nice farce
>>> to do first. (Any suggestions would be welcome)
>>>
>>> On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 11:33:50 PM UTC Asher Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect not, I’m afraid, if a high-res version doesn’t exist.

>>> --
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/169dd563-d0f6-4b12-9f64-a9e54119788bn%40googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/169dd563-d0f6-4b12-9f64-a9e54119788bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/FC6E4E28-B0EC-45C3-B9A0-9379116C6CAC%40gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/FC6E4E28-B0EC-45C3-B9A0-9379116C6CAC%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CD60B723-09C3-4C93-985B-9D89C4BA8870%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CD60B723-09C3-4C93-985B-9D89C4BA8870%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 4, 2021, 12:42:19 PM4/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sure

Emma

Emma Sweeney

Apr 4, 2021, 3:24:42 PM4/4/21
to Standard Ebooks
Before I review, can you upgrade your toolset and fix the new lint errors?

Emma

Asher Smith

Apr 4, 2021, 3:34:59 PM4/4/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Done. Thanks for pointing that out.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/f94998a6-78b6-46c8-a798-3a3fac8bee48n%40googlegroups.com.

Emma Sweeney

Apr 5, 2021, 2:34:26 PM4/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
Great work! I've listed some issues in your repository. Let me know when you are done or if you have any questions.

Emma

Emma Sweeney

Apr 5, 2021, 4:18:49 PM4/5/21
to Standard Ebooks
The changes have been made and everything looks good. This is ready to go.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Apr 7, 2021, 3:21:55 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, I've gone ahead and released it. Thanks!

Not every book is a winner, unfortunately. But at least you can say
you've read another Chekhov play.

On 4/3/21 6:27 PM, Asher Smith wrote:
> OK, this is now ready for review. Clean build, no lint, etc.
>
> * One lingering question I have is about use of <persona> tags. My
> understanding is that they’re only used for named characters, so
> I’ve omitted them for “the maid” and some musicians that pass across
> the stage.
> * I’ve left “thirty-five thousand” left written out. I think because
> it’s a round number, it’s not precise, and doesn’t need turning into
> digits
>

> I must say, I’ve not enjoyed this production overmuch. I found the
> translation much clunkier than the modern one I first read and wanted
> nothing so much as to go through with an [Editorial] chainsaw and strip
> what felt to me to be excessive ellipses.
>
>> On 21 Mar 2021, at 21:02, B Keith <bois...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:bois...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> These still some Wilde, Take a look at Arthur Pinero for
>> 19th century or Goldsmith for 18th century. Brandon’s Chalrey’s Aunt
>> is a favourite but only enough Gutenberg hasn’t  transcribed it yet.
>> _________
>>
>> Guadeamus igitur iuvenes dum sumus
>>
>>> On Mar 21, 2021, at 2:50 PM, Asher Smith
>>> <forlackofa...@gmail.com
>>> <mailto:forlackofa...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm going to put this on hold. I've realised that I've been putting
>>> off proofreading because my pandemic-induced burned-out brain can't
>>> handle anything quite so miserable at the moment. I love this play
>>> and will come back to it, but I'm going to find myself a nice farce
>>> to do first. (Any suggestions would be welcome)
>>>
>>> On Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 11:33:50 PM UTC Asher Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect not, I’m afraid, if a high-res version doesn’t exist.

>>> --
>>> To view this discussion on the web
>>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/169dd563-d0f6-4b12-9f64-a9e54119788bn%40googlegroups.com
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/169dd563-d0f6-4b12-9f64-a9e54119788bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>>

>> --
>> To view this discussion on the web
>> visithttps://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/FC6E4E28-B0EC-45C3-B9A0-9379116C6CAC%40gmail.com
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/FC6E4E28-B0EC-45C3-B9A0-9379116C6CAC%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CD60B723-09C3-4C93-985B-9D89C4BA8870%40gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CD60B723-09C3-4C93-985B-9D89C4BA8870%40gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Asher Smith

Apr 7, 2021, 3:49:49 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Brilliant!

I'm afraid I can't even say that - It's a reread for me.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/82e91ace-0000-43e6-3f03-7999e28a8815%40standardebooks.org.