[Next Project] The Power of Darkness by Leo Tolstoy (trans. Louise and Aylmer Maude)

Weijia Cheng

Jan 2, 2022, 3:36:49 PM1/2/22
to Standard Ebooks

I'll shake things up a bit by doing a play for my next production. This is only ~30,000 words or so but I assume that's fine since this is a play.

Alex Cabal

Jan 3, 2022, 3:21:10 PM1/3/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK!
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2bf17934-31eb-452a-8324-69f19831f36cn%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2bf17934-31eb-452a-8324-69f19831f36cn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Jan 6, 2022, 6:42:42 PM1/6/22
to Standard Ebooks
The dramatis personae in this play has the names of the characters in small caps followed by the description of the characters in italics: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wau.39352061545638&view=1up&seq=18&skin=2021

Should the character names in the dramatis personae be wrapped in <b epub:type="z3998:persona">? Or should these be changed to be completely in italics?

Alex Cabal

Jan 7, 2022, 11:34:35 AM1/7/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com

Weijia Cheng

Jan 14, 2022, 8:03:27 PM1/14/22
to Standard Ebooks

There is a full-line stage direction with a parenthesis inside on this page: "The neighbour (a woman) passes the hut ..."

This works in the original printing since it's not surrounded by parentheses there, but it looks wrong to have parentheses inside parentheses with our stage direction styling. Should the parentheses around "a woman" be changed to square brackets?

Alex Cabal

Jan 15, 2022, 5:01:04 PM1/15/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Interesting question. Normally you're right, nested parens become square
brackets. However we're adding parens as a matter of CSS style and not
text content. Therefore making the nested ones square brackets wouldn't
make sense from a purely textual perspective.

For now, just leave them as parens. I don't think there's a great
solution here given our stage direction styling and how it's applied.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b4284ab6-554e-4bb1-82ef-fb32a43203d5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b4284ab6-554e-4bb1-82ef-fb32a43203d5n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c6c45b92-4b99-4593-a7eb-e82cf37f8040n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c6c45b92-4b99-4593-a7eb-e82cf37f8040n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Jan 16, 2022, 1:00:27 PM1/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, I'll leave it as is.

For the cover I was thinking of this portrait. The dark colors work with the tragic tone of the play and I think the young woman in the portrait could represent any one of the young female characters (Anisya, Akoulina, and Marina).

Weijia Cheng

Jan 16, 2022, 1:03:08 PM1/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Anisya, in particular, is one of the main characters and is described in the dramatis personae as "fond of dress," which I think comes across in this painting.

Alex Cabal

Jan 16, 2022, 1:07:05 PM1/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, thanks!

On 1/16/22 1:00 PM, Weijia Cheng wrote:
> Ok, I'll leave it as is.
>
> For the cover I was thinking of this portrait
> <https://www.kansallisgalleria.fi/en/object/383541>. The dark colors
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c6c45b92-4b99-4593-a7eb-e82cf37f8040n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/c6c45b92-4b99-4593-a7eb-e82cf37f8040n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6d0259e7-40bc-4656-9c8c-68ca1aa34874n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6d0259e7-40bc-4656-9c8c-68ca1aa34874n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Weijia Cheng

Jan 16, 2022, 1:39:53 PM1/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Cool, here's the crop:

cover.png

Weijia Cheng

Jan 16, 2022, 5:30:49 PM1/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Ok, I've wrapped up proofreading and this is ready for a review: https://github.com/weijia-cheng/leo-tolstoy_the-power-of-darkness_louise-maude_aylmer-maude

Emma Sweeney

Jan 16, 2022, 5:58:00 PM1/16/22
to Standard Ebooks
Alex, I can review this one if you want.

Emma

Alex Cabal

Jan 16, 2022, 8:54:43 PM1/16/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Go ahead, thanks!

On 1/16/22 5:58 PM, Emma Sweeney wrote:
> Alex, I can review this one if you want.
>
> Emma
> On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 5:30:49 PM UTC-5 weijia...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Ok, I've wrapped up proofreading and this is ready for a review:
> https://github.com/weijia-cheng/leo-tolstoy_the-power-of-darkness_louise-maude_aylmer-maude
> <https://github.com/weijia-cheng/leo-tolstoy_the-power-of-darkness_louise-maude_aylmer-maude>
>
> On Sunday, January 16, 2022 at 10:39:53 AM UTC-8 Weijia Cheng wrote:
>
> Cool, here's the crop:
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6d0259e7-40bc-4656-9c8c-68ca1aa34874n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/6d0259e7-40bc-4656-9c8c-68ca1aa34874n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>>.
>

> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b492701e-5f84-45cf-8aa8-0deec2f451f6n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/b492701e-5f84-45cf-8aa8-0deec2f451f6n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Emma Sweeney

Jan 17, 2022, 4:56:17 AM1/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Great work! I logged some minor issues in your repository.

Emma

Weijia Cheng

Jan 17, 2022, 12:34:39 PM1/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
Thanks for the very thorough review Emma! I've incorporated all of the feedback you filed.

Emma Sweeney

Jan 17, 2022, 4:55:22 PM1/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
I logged a few CSS tweaks.

Emma

Weijia Cheng

Jan 17, 2022, 6:05:17 PM1/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
I've updated the repo with the tweaks.

Emma Sweeney

Jan 17, 2022, 6:44:28 PM1/17/22
to Standard Ebooks
I'm not seeing anymore issues. Alex, this one is ready for you.

Emma

Weijia Cheng

Jan 20, 2022, 12:30:02 AM1/20/22
to Standard Ebooks
FYI Alex, I upgraded to the latest tools version and fixed the lint issues.

Alex Cabal

Jan 20, 2022, 2:44:10 PM1/20/22
to standar...@googlegroups.com