Ragged array model less efficient, converges with different lp__ than non-ragged version?

David Manheim

May 23, 2017, 10:58:23 AM5/23/17
to Stan users mailing list

I'm using the same data in both models, and get (almost) the same results - but the lp__ is very different.

I understand why the ragged version is slower; I'm confused by the different lp__.

The attached are the models, data, and script to run them in R. (It should work out of the box if they are all in the current R directory.)
Run_Models.R
Physics Model Individual Throws.stan
large_grouped_inputs.RData
large_ragged_inputs.RData
small_grouped_inputs.RData
small_ragged_inputs.RData
Physics Model Group.stan

David Manheim

May 23, 2017, 11:23:16 AM5/23/17
to Stan users mailing list
Based on the conclusion of a twitter discussion with Krzysztof Sakrejda...

I'm silly - I excluded part of the model in the ragged version.

Nevermind.