changes to math that require changes to stan?

Bob Carpenter

Sep 18, 2016, 1:57:42 PM9/18/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
My failing pull request for stan-dev/math:

https://github.com/stan-dev/math/pull/392

requires an upstream modification to stan-dev/stan
to add namespace qualifications to C++11 functions
defined in math.h.

I created an issue for the matching change on stan-dev/stan:

https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/issues/2072

But how do I stage such an update so that tests will pass?
Neither will pass without the other. And what do I do with the
math library link for the stan-dev/stan issue?

Also, hope it's OK if I take the three function update in
the original stan-dev/math pull request and roll in the other
dozen or so functions that need to be fixed for math.h.

- Bob

P.S. Is there an email way to send new questions like this to discourse?

Daniel Lee

Sep 18, 2016, 3:23:42 PM9/18/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 18, 2016, at 7:56 PM, Bob Carpenter <ca...@alias-i.com> wrote:

My failing pull request for stan-dev/math:

 https://github.com/stan-dev/math/pull/392

requires an upstream modification to stan-dev/stan
to add namespace qualifications to C++11 functions
defined in math.h.

I created an issue for the matching change on stan-dev/stan:

 https://github.com/stan-dev/stan/issues/2072

But how do I stage such an update so that tests will pass?
Neither will pass without the other.  And what do I do with the
math library link for the stan-dev/stan issue?

I've been managing it by hand. When we first split up the libraries, I tried bringing it up and figuring out a general solution, but we really didn't have a good enough of a use case.

So, for now, know that it fails and submit another failing pull request to Stan. And we check by hand that the two work.

Then math gets updated, Stan retested cause it should pass at that point, then we merge Stan.

A solution would be to mark that each pull request goes along with an upstream branch that would default to develop. But then we'll have to make sure there's a lull request for that branch, etc.

Also, hope it's OK if I take the three function update in
the original stan-dev/math pull request and roll in the other
dozen or so functions that need to be fixed for math.h.

- Bob

P.S.  Is there an email way to send new questions like this to discourse?

Yes. Email stan...@mc-stan.org. That'll get put on the dev category.

Bob Carpenter

Sep 18, 2016, 3:31:42 PM9/18/16
to stan...@googlegroups.com
Thanks---will do. It'll take me a few days probably to get
the rest of the math.h and MSVC stuff sorted out with all
the boundary tests and doc.

- Bob