Concatenation of process_radtags output sample files

Paulo Buckup

Nov 21, 2022, 1:15:04 PM11/21/22
to Stacks
I have double-digested paired-end Illumina reads. The library was prepared so that R1 contains one enzyme cut site, and R2 contains the other enzyme cut site. I have been running the denovo_map.pl script (with the--paired option) without concatenating the four files produced by process_radtags.pl for each sample.
However, step 11 in the protocol published by Rochette & Catchen (2017) states that these four files should be concatenated:
% cp sample_name.1.fq.gz sample_name.fq.gz
% cat sample_name.2.fq.gz > sample_name.fq.gz
% cat sample_name.rem.1.fq.gz > sample_name.fq.gz
% cat sample_name.rem.2.fq.gz > sample_name.fq.gz"

So, here are my questions:
1. Why is this concatenation necessary?
2. What happens to my catalog if these files are not concateneted?
Thanks,
Paulo Buckup

Catchen, Julian

Nov 30, 2022, 5:17:26 PM11/30/22
to stacks...@googlegroups.com

Hi Paulo,

You don’t need to concatenate those files together if working with Stacks v2. Stacks v1 did not understand paired-end data natively, but v2 does. You might consider our newer protocol which covers similar ground but is written around v2:

https://link.springer.com/protocol/10.1007/978-1-0716-2313-8_7

Best,

julian

Paulo Buckup