Re: [stacki] Newbie questions - VirtualBox Install Problems

David Li

Dec 1, 2015, 7:22:28 PM12/1/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
I have been trying to install 2.0 in VirtualBox but failed repeatedly.
The best I can guess from the Vbox log is some kind of memory issues.
My laptop has 8G RAM and I have provisioned the Stacki VM to have 4G
and 70G HD. At the time of install, my laptop has about 4G free. This
still doesn't work. Can anyone help to take a look at the following
log?

Thanks.

------------ Vbox log -------------------

00:04:00.504117 GUI: UIFrameBufferPrivate::performResize:
Size=1024x768, Directly using source bitmap content
00:04:27.381205 PGM: Failed to procure handy pages; rc=VERR_NO_MEMORY
rcAlloc=VINF_SUCCESS rcSeed=VINF_SUCCESS cHandyPages=0x8
00:04:27.381212 cAllPages=0x106448 cPrivatePages=0xea780
cSharedPages=0x0 cZeroPages=0x1bca2
00:04:27.381415 GMM: Statistics:
00:04:27.381416 Allocated pages: e4384
00:04:27.381418 Maximum pages: 10009e
00:04:27.381419 Ballooned pages: 0
00:04:27.384240 PGM: Failed to procure handy pages; rc=VERR_NO_MEMORY
rcAlloc=VINF_SUCCESS rcSeed=VINF_SUCCESS cHandyPages=0x7
00:04:27.384247 cAllPages=0x106448 cPrivatePages=0xea781
cSharedPages=0x0 cZeroPages=0x1bca1
00:04:27.384437 GMM: Statistics:
00:04:27.384438 Allocated pages: e4384
00:04:27.384440 Maximum pages: 10009e
00:04:27.384441 Ballooned pages: 0
00:04:27.385082 VM: Raising runtime error 'HostMemoryLow' (fFlags=0x2)
00:04:27.385704 AssertLogRel
F:\tinderbox\win-rel\src\VBox\VMM\VMMR3\VMM.cpp(1770) int __cdecl
VMMR3EmtRendezvous(struct VM *,unsigned int,int (__cdecl *)(struct VM
*,struct VMCPU *,void *),void *): !pVCpu->vmm.s.fInRendezvous
00:04:27.386387 Console: VM runtime error: fatal=false,
errorID=HostMemoryLow message="Unable to allocate and lock memory. The
virtual machine will be paused. Please close applications to free up
memory or close the VM"
00:04:27.392232 Changing the VM state from 'RUNNING' to 'GURU_MEDITATION'
00:04:27.393218 Console: Machine state changed to 'GuruMeditation'
00:04:27.572338 AioMgr0-N: Request 0x000000056c0c50 failed with
rc=VERR_NO_MEMORY, migrating endpoint C:\Users\weili\VirtualBox
VMs\stacki2.0-install-2\stacki2.0-install-2.vdi to failsafe manager.
00:10:21.563931 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80bb0002)
aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap}
aText={Invalid machine state GuruMeditation when checking if the guest
entered the ACPI mode)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:10:31.966675 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE (0x80bb0002)
aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap}
aText={Invalid machine state GuruMeditation when checking if the guest
entered the ACPI mode)}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:10:33.513152 ERROR [COM]: aRC=VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80bb0005)
aIID={872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed} aComponent={ConsoleWrap}
aText={The VBoxGuestPropSvc service call failed with the error
VERR_COM_INVALID_VM_STATE}, preserve=false aResultDetail=0
00:10:33.529476 Console: Machine state changed to 'Stopping'

On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:35 PM, Joe Kaiser <jlka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're more than welcome to try a customization, but as it stands now,
> it'spretty RH/CentOS based. In the early days though, it was possible to
> install Solaris. So it can be done. There is an ongoing internal discussion
> with regard to Ubuntu as well but it's only a discussion at this point.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 5:38 PM, David Li <dlip...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> HI Joe,
>>
>> Sounds good. I will give it a try in VirtualBox with legacy BIOS PXEboot
>>
>> Another question:
>>
>> Is Stacki only for Centos/RH install? Is it possible to install others
>> like FreeBSD with my own customization?
>>
>> David

>> > It says it's capable as long as you check the Enable EFI under the
>> > System
>> > Menu.
>> >
>> > I've tried it and it does attempt to boot into UEFI via PXE. I wasn't
>> > successful but I also don't think I had have my frontend setup
>> > correctly.

>> > Start here:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/StackIQ/stacki/wiki
>> >
>> > Specifically for the frontend:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/StackIQ/stacki/wiki/Frontend-Installation
>> >
>> > You can do it on an already running CentOS VM or install directly from
>> > the
>> > stacki-os ISO. Use 2.0 not 1.0.
>> >
>> > Then do this for a backend:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/StackIQ/stacki/wiki/Backend-Installation
>> >

>> > On a 16G MacBook Pro, I can do one frontend and a couple of backends and
>> > still do other things on my laptop. With 32G or more, I can do a VBox
>> > frontend and 4-5 backend nodes.
>> >
>> > I've also used a VBox frontend to install bare-metal machines.
>> >
>> > When developing/testing, I usually start with one frontend and one
>> > backend
>> > node.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Joe
>> >

>> > --
>>
>> --

Joe Kaiser

Dec 1, 2015, 7:36:40 PM12/1/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
Is that for the frontend or the backend?

Are you working with a 7 or 6 Centos/RHEL distro?

Thanks,

Joe

David Li

Dec 2, 2015, 11:28:22 AM12/2/15
to stacki
Hi Joe,

This is the frontend install. I downloaded the ISO from here and tried to install it as a VM in the Vbox.

David

Joe Kaiser

Dec 2, 2015, 11:56:45 AM12/2/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
Okay, can you send screen shots of where the install fails? Or does the ISO not even boot up?

Thanks,

Joe

David Li

Dec 2, 2015, 12:57:27 PM12/2/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Joe,

Just did it again and I attached the screen shot where it fails during
the install.
Thanks.

David
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/stacki/02XeYORkxp8/unsubscribe.
Install-screen1.png

Joe Kaiser

Dec 2, 2015, 1:03:45 PM12/2/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I've never run into this before. Have you been able to successfully run any VBox vm. What happens if you just try to install RHEL/CentOS 6 straight from the iso?

Thanks,

Joe

David Li

Dec 2, 2015, 1:06:59 PM12/2/15
to stacki
I have no problem installing Centos 7 in this vbox - did it many times by hand.

David

Anoop Rajendra

Dec 2, 2015, 1:50:18 PM12/2/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

here are a few things you can try.

1. Install CentOS 7 by hand on this virtual box machine.
2. Bring down the StackI ISO, and do an install using the documentation here - https://github.com/StackIQ/stacki/wiki/Frontend-Installation#existing
3. See if you can complete the installation successfully.

From everything you've mentioned, this still seems like a virtualbox issue, and not a StackI issue
The "Guru Meditation Error" you get looks like your VirtualBox service is running out of memory.

Another thing you can try is - reduce the size of the memory from 4 GB down to 2 GB. Reboot your laptop to clear out any errant / zombie processes, and then try to re-run the StackI Install.

-Anoop

David Li

Dec 2, 2015, 4:20:29 PM12/2/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anoop,

Sure I can try install on top of existing. I have a minimal Centos 7
VM. Can I use that to install Stacki2.0?

David

Anoop Rajendra

Dec 2, 2015, 4:25:19 PM12/2/15
to sta...@googlegroups.com
Yes, you should be able to. Make sure you have a full CentOS installation ISO stored on the VM

-Anoop