`stack init` makes the computer unresponsive

EGarrulo

Mar 16, 2016, 8:17:09 AM3/16/16
to Stackage
I am trying to install Stackage.  I have downloaded `stack` and run `stack build`, as instructed by the website.  However, the command failed and `stack` told me that maybe I should have run `stack init` first.  I did so and the PC became unresponsive, with the hard disk spinning like crazy.  The task manager showed `stack init` taking up all the available memory and pushing for more.

I am using Debian GNU/Linux (I know that there is a .deb package, but I would rather do the manual installation).

Any help?  Thanks.

J Boyer

Mar 16, 2016, 9:43:32 AM3/16/16
to EGarrulo, Stackage

On 03/16/2016 08:17 AM, EGarrulo wrote:
> I am trying to install Stackage. I have downloaded `stack` and run
> `stack build`, as instructed by the website. However, the command
> failed and `stack` told me that maybe I should have run `stack init`
> first. I did so and the PC became unresponsive, with the hard disk
> spinning like crazy. The task manager showed `stack init` taking up
> all the available memory and pushing for more.

Are you running `stack build` and `stack init` in your project directory?

EGarrulo

Mar 16, 2016, 9:56:58 AM3/16/16
to Stackage, egar...@gmail.com

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 2:43:32 PM UTC+1, J Boyer wrote:

Are you running `stack build` and `stack init` in your project directory?

I have installed `stack`, put into PATH, and run `stack init` from HOME.

Adam Bergmark

Mar 16, 2016, 10:08:43 AM3/16/16
to EGarrulo, Stackage, egar...@gmail.com
stack init recursively searches subdirectories for haskell projects so if you are running it from $HOME that probably explains your symptoms. Try running stack init for a single project in its directory instead.

Adam Bergmark

EGarrulo

Mar 16, 2016, 10:29:05 AM3/16/16
to Stackage, egar...@gmail.com
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 3:08:43 PM UTC+1, Adam Bergmark wrote:
stack init recursively searches subdirectories for haskell projects so if you are running it from $HOME that probably explains your symptoms. Try running stack init for a single project in its directory instead.

That fixed the issue, thanks.

Dan Burton

Mar 17, 2016, 2:45:27 AM3/17/16
to EGarrulo, Stackage
stack init is for stack-ifying existing projects. If you want to create a new project with stack, try "stack new".

-- Dan Burton