Welcome to the St Pete Red Light Cameras Google Group!

MFmoderator

Nov 28, 2010, 7:57:02 PM11/28/10
to st pete cameras
This is the discussion group of the St Petersburg, FL Red Light Camera
group website.

Here is the link to our website:
http://www.stpetecameras.org

sheaon...@gmail.com

Jan 29, 2014, 10:30:59 AM1/29/14
to st-pete...@googlegroups.com
Red light cameras, good bad or ugly? My take… ugly! According to a new study by USF research study, red light cameras are not effective in reducing crashes. But in the study, it does say before they became popular, but after they were invented, there was a very big reduction in red light running. It could be that their presence alone has scared people into running less red lights. But how do we even know if less people are running red lights? From the accidents… not the cameras… and that is the big thing… are the accidents lessening? According to an opinion article from the St. Petersburg Times today, they are effective in altering people’s driving habits and can do the job of hundreds of cops. It could be that people just do not know where they are at so they assume all intersections have them or could have them and because of the publicity of the cameras and accidents they are more cautious. At least that is how I am. But, how does it alter our driving behaviors? Are we all people in a big rush who try to purposefully run red lights at our own risk? I do not think so. I think there are times when it is safer to run red lights. That is why it is good to have cops watching at problem areas, not cameras. For instance, when we know there is a camera there, we may force a stop that we would not have and cause an accident. When there is no camera, we usually try to make the best choice. Who is behind us? How fast are we going? How long is a yellow light.. why do they all seem to be different lengths of time? At least with a cop we can explain ourselves, and thus even if we see him we probably wouldn’t slam the breaks. But there is no explaining to a camera picture. Not everything is black and white. And we need to create jobs here… we need our police out there watching for red lights… they see other stuff too. It isn’t like they are just sitting there to catch red light runners. They catch speeders, reckless drivers… things cameras can’t catch. Oh my gosh, don’t you watch the movies, this is how they catch people who aren’t supposed to be driving or have warrants out for their arrests too! The police will do a better job than a camera, in judgment, variety of function, and eliciting safe choices. The cameras are costing money in legal battles, that often aren’t worth fighting for the price of the ticket, they are causing distrust and anxiety and anger about red light running… perhaps scaring us not into running a red light… but not for the right reason. It is best to make the safest decision, and most people want to. But you put the extra thought of knowing a camera is there, and the question isn’t just about what’s safer, slamming on the breaks or checking the intersection and coasting through, no. It makes us think about the ticket, the insurance, the inability to fight and win… and SLAM…. This is why fatal crashes at intersections with red light cameras have increased (according to the usf study). That is why my take is red light cameras are UGLY. let's just get rid of them. speeding cameras would be more appropriate as it is a black and white issue.. and they would bring in more money, and there really is no arguing about that.. no well it was yellow or it was safer to go fast... maybe you can reusue the cameras there...