Interim Rector Margaret Schwarzer

St. Mary's Church

May 22, 2009, 5:53:24 PM5/22/09
to Saint Mary's Episcopal Church, Newton Massachusetts
The Wardens and Vestry of St. Mary's announce that Margaret Schwarzer
has accepted our call to be our Interim Priest, starting June 1.

The Reverend Margaret K. Schwarzer describes herself as “an
entrepreneurial and innovative priest with two decades of experience
in congregations and college chaplaincies.” Her life and work point
to a priest who fosters communities of spiritual depth, vibrant
community, and meaningful liturgy.

For ten years, Margaret served as the founder and director of The
Micah Project, a domestic internship program of Christian community
and vocational discernment in our diocese. During that time, she led
36 young adult interns into urban parishes, peace and justice
programs, and chaplaincies where they contributed over 2,560 hours of
service per year. Over 15 of these young people have pursued
ordination in our Episcopal Church as a result of their experiences in
that program, and others have gone on to important work as lay people
who are active in their churches and passionate about their work,
which includes Seminary professors, medical doctors, librarians, and
social workers. Margaret has also served five Episcopal parishes
during her ordained life. These parishes include Trinity Church,
Princeton, St. Margaret’s Church, Washington, D.C., the campus of
Boston University, and, most recently, Christ Church, Andover, where
she is serving as the Sabbatical Interim Priest while the Rector
travels in Japan. At each of these parishes, she has had a special
interest in fostering excellent Adult Education programs.

Additional information will be mailed to the entire parish next week.