Wood Pellet Boilers

Ken Ebbage

Mar 13, 2013, 6:28:35 PM3/13/13
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone in this group have any experience with wood pellet boilers?

I have not heard of any in St Albans diocese yet, but I know of one in Exeter.

Ken

Martin King

Mar 14, 2013, 2:46:30 AM3/14/13
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com
RES in King's Langley are running a bio-fuel boiler.  If I remember rightly, they installed it to burn the crop of the adjacent field.  However they found it was not man enough to handle the ash of that fuel so have to sell the crop for burning in a larger bolier elsewhere and buy in wood pellets.

I have another possible contact who may be able to help.  I'll let you know.

Martin

Jim May

Mar 14, 2013, 2:50:05 AM3/14/13
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com

There are none that have come across my desk.

Kind regards

Jim May
Diocesan Pastoral & Advisory Secretary
Tel: 01727 818138

The St Albans Diocesan Board of Finance.  Company limited by guarantee.
Company Registration: 145227;  Charity Registration (England and Wales): 248887
Registered Office: Holywell Lodge, 41 Holywell Hill, St Albans, Herts. AL1 1HE
Tel: 01727 854532    Fax: 01727 844469
www.stalbans.anglican.org

Crl.higgs

Mar 14, 2013, 3:02:11 AM3/14/13
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com, st-albans-...@googlegroups.com

Ken

I also recall that RES tried to burn the elephant grass but found this unsatisfactory and changed to wood pellets

Carol
St Lawrence Abbots Langley

Shelia Wright

Mar 14, 2013, 5:38:43 AM3/14/13
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com

We were planning to install a wood pellet boiler at St Paul’s but could not get access to deliver the wood pellets.

I think the model we were considering was the one used at Woburn Abbey but I will confirm.

Sheila Wright

Judith Evans

Mar 14, 2013, 2:25:10 PM3/14/13
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com
Two of our local landowners have installed them , in one case to heat a very large house and flats - they say thay have never been so warm and now don't have to wear their hat and coat when watching telly. Strangely they have found it better to buy the wood chip in rather than use their own harvest.
Judith
Mar 14, 2013, 2:41:26 PM3/14/13
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com
Dear All
 First, Re wood chip boilers, as I understand it the main problem at RES with the home grown Miscanthus fuel was that it did not grow as well as expected, RES certainly felt that their Miscanthus did not grow as well as Rothamsted’s biofuel
 crop

Secondly I do think that an email group such as this is useful for the sharing of ideas and certainly started off well after that distantly remembered conference...........

Thirdly I think that there are other broader initiatives  wrt the environment in the diocese that are not on our radar, this group seems to be fairly narrowly focused, and there are many areas eg conservation, ‘land management both here and overseas which are all part of an environmental outlook are not covered well.

As many people have left the group would it be a good idea to see if there are new people with new initiatives in the churches that would like to join the group

I think that we should share good practice but in a broad environmental area.

Avice

On 14/03/2013 18:25, "Judith Evans" <judit...@waitrose.com> wrote:

Two of our local landowners have installed them , in one case to heat a very large house and flats - they say thay have never been so warm and now don't have to wear their hat and coat when watching telly. Strangely they have found it better to buy the wood chip in rather than use their own harvest.
Judith

Does anyone in this group have any experience with wood pellet  boilers?

I have not heard of any in St Albans diocese yet, but I know of  one in Exeter.

Ken

 Dr Avice M Hall
Plant Pathologist
01707 284539