Engaging Communities on Climate Change (London)

Talk Action

Nov 15, 2011, 9:58:15 AM11/15/11
to St Albans Environment
Engaging Communities on Climate Change, 1st December (London)

Organisations and individuals need to take energy and climate change
issues into account when planning their work. Delivering climate goals
will require the engagement of a wide range of stakeholders, including
community organisations.
This course will teach you the skills and information needed to
develop long-term engagement of civil society organisations, groups
and individuals in work on climate change and low-carbon living.

The new Localism Bill stresses the need for better community
engagement: the question is how to make that engagement happen on this
complex issue. While some groups are active on limiting and adapting
to climate change, this poses unique challenges to the majority who
may have other interests and priorities.

This course outlines why climate change can be a particularly
problematic issue for communities, how to overcome this and how this
links to issues around the new Localism Bill and the ‘Big Society’.

People attending this course will:
• Learn the ways in which community engagement can deliver lasting
change on climate and energy issues and how to make this happen.
• Understand why community engagement on climate change can be
problematic.
• Be clear on the best ways to start a dialogue around climate change.
• Learn to lead a discussion on the positive aspects of low carbon
living.
• Learn to support and work with communities.
• Be able to offer guidance to any community group on reducing their
own foot print.
• Receive guidance on how to develop an action
plan.

Who should attend the training?
The course will benefit anyone working with or seeking to work with
community organisations on behaviour change, projects or local action
planning. It will include a review of the new moves towards localism
and how these impact on climate and sustainability work.
It is designed for climate and energy staff, community workers,
organisers and activists. It covers approaches to work with both
enthusiastic and less engaged communities. All participants will have
time to work on developing their own actions plans for work after the
course.

A course manual will be available to all participants, along with a
copy of ‘Better Places, Better Planet’, a book written by Chris Church
for the Community Development Foundation.

Facilitated by:

Chris Church

Chris Church has worked in the voluntary sector and as a consultant
for over 25 years. He is an experienced advisor on community and
sustainable development issues, with a wide range of experience at
international, national, and community level. He is an associate of
the Community Development Foundation and a member of the London
Sustainable Development Commission. Chris is chair of the UK Local
Carbon Communities Network.

Chris has previously worked with the Community Sector Coalition, the
National Trust, BTCV, Defra, Groundwork, the European Union TACIS
programme, Surfers Against Sewage and many local councils. He is
trained as a teacher and has been developing and running training
programmes for 22 years

Costs

£288: Large charities, public sector and businesses
£130: Smaller charities (under 15 staff) and individuals.
Concessionary rates of £20 are available for students, pensioners and
the unemployed. Please contact us at in...@talkaction.org for further
details.

Tailored courses can be arranged for groups at a date and location to
suit you.
Prices include a hot Mediterranean buffet lunch, Fair Trade
refreshments and networking time.

For bookings and information please contact Jonathan on:
Tel: 0207 324 4774
Email: in...@talkaction.org

Paul and Gylyan Boielle

Nov 15, 2011, 10:44:42 AM11/15/11
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com
Where is this being held?

Peter Willcox

Nov 16, 2011, 3:49:14 AM11/16/11
to st-albans-...@googlegroups.com
Hi All
I attended this course in the summer. I negotiated a reduced fee, which was shared between myself, the Diocese, and Transition Town Letchworth, of whom I am an active member.
The course is excelent. I thoroughly recommend it.
REgards
Peter

Talk Action

Jan 13, 2012, 9:00:29 AM1/13/12
to St Albans Environment
Thanks Peter.

Our next course has just been arranged for 30th March. Full details on
our website http://www.talkaction.org/training/engaging-communities/

Talk Action