Reminder for Friday + doodle for summer

Elizabeth Patitsas

Apr 11, 2012, 1:18:21 PM4/11/12
to ssoc...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

Two things:
1. Reminder that we're meeting this Friday. To mix things up this week,
the reading is a Ted talk:
http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together.html

To supplement it, here's a pertinent article from the NY Times that'd be
worth a read:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/education/edlife/25roommate-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

2. Will Fridays still work for everybody this summer? Fill in the
doodle: http://www.doodle.com/p99wvfctriet8be2#table -- indicate your
weekly availability rather than your availability for the dates I picked :)

Cheers,
Elizabeth

PS. Let me know what topics we should schedule for this summer. I'm
thinking of philosophy of AI for next week.

Wesley May

Apr 11, 2012, 1:59:59 PM4/11/12
to ssoc...@googlegroups.com, ssoc...@googlegroups.com
I'll check out the talk but I'll be away this week. Programming contest in Chicagooooo!

Aditya Bhargava

Apr 11, 2012, 7:59:18 PM4/11/12
to ssoc...@googlegroups.com
I'm OK with philosophy of AI for next week, but not that SEP Logic & AI article. I read into it and it wasn't at all what I was hoping for :\ I think the Turing Test article on the SEP would be a better go from the looks of it.

I like this blog post:

where the guy describes his experience teaching intro to linear algebra at Dartmouth in the mid-90s and he took a rather different approach to what we tend to see these days. The end result was that, while the students may have hated him, they tended to remember the material far better next semester, or even only for the final where they found they didn't need to study as much. This is of course an anecdotal experience but an interesting read nonetheless, especially since we're all educators in some way or another.

Along similar lines I've heard of some people assigning videos from the Khan Academy as homework, and then spending class time not explaining the material but fielding questions on it. But I don't know of any solid descriptions or academic work on this offhand.

Also, I'm going to be gone from June to August so don't put too much stock in my preferences for times. Although I think I did say Yes to all or almost all of them.

Wesley May

Apr 11, 2012, 8:12:02 PM4/11/12
to ssoc...@googlegroups.com, ssoc...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the SEP article was pretty boring.

Aditya Bhargava

Apr 13, 2012, 11:44:31 AM4/13/12
to ssoc...@googlegroups.com
So, after having been up all night marking, I'm pretty exhausted and my brain is fried. I will probably not be able to make it today :(

(But who knows, I've been known to be rather good at staying awake after a certain amount of keeping myself up---"riding the wave")

Elizabeth Patitsas

Apr 19, 2012, 6:45:09 PM4/19/12
to ssoc...@googlegroups.com
Hey folks,

In the absence of other suggestions, how about we read the blog post
Aditya suggested?

http://bentilly.blogspot.ca/2009/09/teaching-linear-algebra.html

See you tomorrow!

Cheers,
Elizabeth

> <pati...@cs.toronto.edu <mailto:pati...@cs.toronto.edu>> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Two things:
> > 1. Reminder that we're meeting this Friday. To mix things up
> this week, the reading is a Ted talk:
> http://www.ted.com/talks/sherry_turkle_alone_together.html
> >
> > To supplement it, here's a pertinent article from the NY Times
> that'd be worth a read:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/education/edlife/25roommate-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/25/education/edlife/25roommate-t.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all>
> >
> > 2. Will Fridays still work for everybody this summer? Fill in
> the doodle: http://www.doodle.com/p99wvfctriet8be2#table --
> indicate your weekly availability rather than your availability
> for the dates I picked :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Elizabeth
> >
> > PS. Let me know what topics we should schedule for this summer.
> I'm thinking of philosophy of AI for next week.
> >
> > --

> <mailto:ssocs-rg%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

> > For more options, visit this group at
> > http://groups.google.com/group/ssocs-rg?hl=en