An invitation to change the way government and citizens engage each other

Gerry Kirk

Jan 8, 2009, 11:52:36 AM1/8/09
to ssm-remot...@googlegroups.com
Through Twitter, I've become connected with some very talented and inspired people eager to bring some of the open online engagement approach of Obama to our nation. The germ of this idea is here:

http://remarkk.com/2008/12/06/changegovca-what-and-who-is-the-change-we-need/

Since then, progress has been made, the next step being an open, collaborative session called ChangeCamp, to be held in Toronto, Jan 24. I'm interested in going because of

a) the kinds of people who will participate
b) I want to learn more about BarCamp /  OpenSpace types of events, with the hopes of organizing some here in the Sault
c) I'm passionate about what ChangeCamp is trying to achieve:

"ChangeCamp addresses the demand for a renewed relationship among citizens and government.  We seek to create connections, knowledge, tools and policies that drive transparency, civic engagement and democratic empowerment."

I'm looking for at least one other person to go down with me for a road trip, preferably someone who has wheels. :) I'll happily pay all the gas, and can arrange a place to crash.

If this movement inspires you as well, please get in touch.

And if you are not on Twitter yet, what are you waiting for? It's the water cooler for the connected free agent. :)

- Gerry
--
skype: gerry.kirk and more ways to connect @ http://gerrykirk.net/about
blog: http://gerrykirk.net

Rick Scott

Jan 8, 2009, 12:25:35 PM1/8/09
to ssm-remot...@googlegroups.com
(Gerry Kirk:)

> Through Twitter, I've become connected with some very talented and
> inspired people eager to bring some of the open online engagement
> approach of Obama to our nation. The germ of this idea is here:
>
> http://remarkk.com/2008/12/06/changegovca-what-and-who-is-the-change-we-need/
>
> Since then, progress has been made, the next step being an
> open, collaborative session called ChangeCamp, to be held in
> Toronto, Jan 24.

This sounds pretty cool...it's too bad I'm not going to get a chance to go.

> b) I want to learn more about BarCamp / OpenSpace types of
> events, with the hopes of organizing some here in the Sault

At Socialtext, we run our face-to-face sessions in OpenSpace style.
There are usually a few all-hands "keynotes", but other than that,
what's on the agenda is whatever we feel is most important to deal
with.

I'd be interested in seeing some BarCamp / OpenSpace stuff here in
the Sault too.

Cheers,
Rick
--
QA and Tools Engineer rick....@socialtext.com
Socialtext +1(650)323-0800 x344

Cooking is feeling, common sense, and imagination. :Martin Yan