New Consulting Firm in Town - looking for project resources

1 view

Brad Simard

Jan 15, 2009, 4:48:55 PM1/15/09
to SSM Remote Workers
Hey Guys,

I just got wind last week that I'll be starting my management
consulting firm. It's happening a little quicker than I thought it
would, but being "laid off due to shortage of work" kind of pushed me
into it. I will be having strategy sessions in the next week (while
trying to mine real opportunities that will feed my family).

An element we will be exploring is putting together a team of
resources to bid on larger projects (as applicable to the project),
that would usually command bids from the bigger guys (e.g., Deloitte,
IBM, Accenture, etc.), in the management consulting-ish space.

I will be building a database (excel sheet) of local resources who
would be interested to come out and play. If you are, or know of
people (not necessarily locals) who would be interested, let them
know. If you are interested, you can forward me your name, contact,
and description of your skillset (e.g., cv, summary, etc,). Of
course, they will probably need to be willing to travel. Happy to
discuss more (but thats about the jist of it at this point).

We have been through and played with these big consulting machines.
We can take the good and leave the bad from their practices. We feel
a team of bright, motivated, and collegial independants with the right
skillsets can succesfully compete for these larger projects, and
command comparable (and often more attractive) rates. It's about
people, and the sum of their parts as a team, and not about the
corporate logo.

Brad.

ps. getting back to that "feed the family" thing, below is a summary
of my skillset, if you hear / know of anything that may fit. I can
also lay floor and hang drywall :).

Brad is a Management Consultant and Certified Management Accountant
(CMA) with experience working on high profile and international
engagements, consulting to executives and senior management to develop
and agree on solutions to complex problems. Much of Brad’s work has
been with clients where he has forged long standing relationship and
has gained a strong understanding of the industry. As a result, these
clients have engaged Brad on different occasions, to solve a multitude
of business problems across the organization.

Specifically, his career focus has been on analyzing business problems
to find creative solutions and implementing or utilizing information
technology solutions as a result. He often acts as conduit to
transform management’s business needs into technical solutions. His
consulting skills include process reengineering; performance
measurement and management; change management; business requirements
definition; developing financial and operational recommendations; gap-
fit analysis; financial management design; report design; process
implementation support; custom application design and development;
client support through proposal development; and project management in
various environments.

Gerry Kirk

Jan 19, 2009, 10:39:52 AM1/19/09
to ssm-remot...@googlegroups.com
Seems to be a trend lately, seeing this with a few other friends of mine. I'm in a similar situation, having lost full time work with an Atlanta-based company start of Dec.

It's been an exciting time, though, making lots of new connections and a variety of opps coming my way, some through creative effort, others not through my own means. It is possible to thrive in a recession, but takes some creative, persistent effort!

Interestingly, Twitter.com has been invaluable in my networking efforts. Anyone who is self-employed or considering that ought to be engaged on Twitter. My Twitter friend @remarkk said it best: "Twitter is the water cooler for connected free agents."

I have a strong interest in managing a team of freelancers who want to work on projects that matter, and by that I mean projects that are geared to social change, to making some improvements in our world. One reason I am going to http://www.changecamp.ca this weekend is to meet talented people of similar mindset, many who are working to create http://thmvmnt.com.

Brad, perhaps we can chat tomorrow over lunch? Tomorrow is supposed to be the remote workers gathering.

- Gerry
--
skype: gerry.kirk and more ways to connect @ http://gerrykirk.net/about
blog: http://gerrykirk.net

My Diary

Jan 26, 2009, 2:38:52 PM1/26/09
to ssm-remot...@googlegroups.com
Hi Brad

Congratulations on your new company, nothing like adversity to focus ones vision. Attached is a summary of my resume.

I would like to meet and share notes..What is your schedule like this week?

Regards
Gil Meier
246.7019

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Brad Simard <brad....@confluence.ca> wrote: