Exercise and the Bible

1 view

socrtwo

Oct 6, 2008, 12:25:12 AM10/6/08
to Towards a New Synthesis of Evangelical Christianity and Science
Some may say that they don't believe in the Bible because exercise is
good for you and the Bible doesn't mention as such. I certainly was
feeling that ways as especially with the passage from one of Paul's
letters that exercise benefit a little but righteousness benefit
greatly. Or maybe exercise benefits little, but holiness beneifits
greatly.

This quote from Paul would seem to suggest one could eschew exercise
altogethor if one is holy.

So instead of this conclusion, after almost succumbing to aches and
pains and cabin fever induced by sitting in front of a computer and
interpreting St. Paul in light of today's life, I went for a 45 minute
walk, being determined to do a Biblical search when I got back.

So I did and found the word "walk" is mentioned 343 times in the
Young's Literal translation of the Bible. See this at the Bible
Gateway here: http://tinyurl.com/3pch8o. Interestingly sit is
mentioned 318 times. See http://tinyurl.com/545434. Sat is mentioned
59 times when you remove satiated and satisfied from the results. See
http://tinyurl.com/3np6xx.

So walking and sitting are about equal. Interestingly 74 of those
times Walk is mentioned in a verse, God is also mentioned. See:
http://tinyurl.com/walkgod. Another 53 mention Jehova. See
http://tinyurl.com/walkJehova. Another 19 are associated with the word
statue. See http://tinyurl.com/walkstatute. Another 28 are associated
with walk and way. See:http://tinyurl.com/3osnxb. An additional 7
are associated with command. See http://tinyurl.com/walkcommand. 7
more are associated with upright. See http://tinyurl.com/walkupright.
None of these overlap, because in the series, I minused out the
precedingly associated word in the search.

The words sit and sat are more often just incidental to righteousness
and walking with God and are more often associated with an action in a
story. Although sit and throne have 75 assocaitions (see http://tinyurl.com/53aqqj)
and sat and throne have 11 associations. See http://tinyurl.com/satthrone.

So the question is, if we want to be upright, it looks like we can't
do it just by sitting, we must be walking in it and God's ways alot.
The Bible seems to be saying that there is no other path to
righteousness then spending some time walking with God, sitting with
him is not enough.

socrtwo

Oct 6, 2008, 12:25:12 AM10/6/08
to Towards a New Synthesis of Evangelical Christianity and Science