May 5, 2009, 11:47:41 AM5/5/09
to Towards a New Synthesis of Evangelical Christianity and Science
The seven deadly sins are lust, gluttony, greed, sloth, wrath, envy
and pride. It seems that some have already been shown to shorten the
life of test animals like lab rats. Why not fashion experiments to
look at all the sins?
* Gluttony _ it has been shown that rats who eat as much as they want,
become overweight and live a reduced life span compared to rats who
are only given enough food to survive.
* Sloth - certainly there are numerous studies with humans that show
that lack of exercise kills. maybe there are some with laboratory
* It would be interesting to see if male lab rats given as many mating
opportunities as they can handle, will live for shorter lifespans.
* Also if rats or Betta fish are forced to live with each other, or
see each other and this obviously causes anger between the
individuals, does this shorten their lifespan...
* Maybe envy could be tested by keeping rats in visual and maybe smell
contact but separated by a screen. One male rat then could be given
access to a lot of females and as much food as he wants and the other,
on a starvation diet and living all alone. Would that shorten the
starved loner's lifespan?
I'm not sure how to use lab rats to test for greed and pride, but I'm
sure a clever researcher could do this...