Reason Flowers Make Themselves Attractive

socrtwo

Jun 6, 2007, 10:13:23 PM6/6/07
to Towards a New Synthesis of Evangelical Christianity and Science
I think scientists say that flowers make themselves colorful to
attract bees, with the idea that the bees are somehow mesmerized by
the beauty and it's a selfish ploy on the part of the flowers, like a
seduction.

What if instead we view color and attractiveness of flowers as
attempts by at least some plants to do God's Will and make the World a
more beautiful place. A bee too would be interested maybe in doing
God's will too and reward flowers that make the orld a beautiful
place, by visiting them. Therefroe the real motivation for the flower
would be selfless virtue and the bee would reward this virtue.

Again the theme is this, within life there is a community of organisms
that are selfless. These organisms are highly cooperative and they
generally survive upheavals that occur at the end of geological ages.
In fact the selfless virtuous organisms are the foundation of life,
all the rest of the organisms ultimately are slaves of the selfless
even though they may appear to prevail on the short run. Matthew 5:5,
John 8:35

Nora22

Jun 7, 2007, 12:30:45 PM6/7/07
to Towards a New Synthesis of Evangelical Christianity and Science
When you insert "God's will" into a natural process, it ruins the
whole thing. From a scientific perspective, weren't all the flowering
species that went extinct doing "God's will" too? How do you explain
that they are no longer here?

The survival reason simply explains a lot more and makes sense, rather
than creating a fuzzy story with arbitrary features and
'humanization' (the idea that flowers think about being 'selfish' or
'unselfish' is ludicrous) that sound like fairy tales.

On Jun 6, 7:13 pm, socrtwo <socr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think scientists say that flowers make themselves colorful to
> attract bees, with the idea that the bees are somehow mesmerized by
> the beauty and it's a selfish ploy on the part of the flowers, like a
> seduction.
>
> What if instead we view color and attractiveness of flowers as
> attempts by at least some plants to do God's Will and make the World a
> more beautiful place. A bee too would be interested maybe in doing

> God's will too and reward flowers that make the world a beautiful

> place, by visiting them. Therefroe the real motivation for the flower

> would be selfless virtue and the bee would reward this virtue. . . . .

socrtwo

Jun 7, 2007, 10:45:34 PM6/7/07
to Towards a New Synthesis of Evangelical Christianity and Science
We all are taught not to anthropomorphize, yet we can't extract
ourselves from life. We are a part of it. I think it's more
ludicrous not to anthropomorphize. The same processes and principals
that govern our lives, govern the rest of life. Isn't that what
science has taught us? The more we guard against anthropomorphizing
the more we find other organisms behave the same way as we do. Let's
take a shortcut and start hypothesizing back the way we used to before
the middle of the 19 th century and see if we can instead understand
things that have eluded us for 150 years in our attempts to be
"objective observers".

Let me not play the green card, but there is always that option to
suggest that the destruction of the environment in our time comes from
thinking it is unhumanly selfish and different from us.