Why didn't Sixth Sense took off?

Rémi Mexia

Jan 24, 2019, 5:10:54 AM1/24/19
to SixthSense Developers
Hello everyone.

I was really wondering why the technology hasn't really been used and heard a lot about.
I mean, I just heard about it and the technology seems very proming, but it looks like it didn't really work out.
Sixth Sense has been presented in 2009 and the code has been made open souce at the end 2011 (google code) / early 2012 (github) and then this forum had a bit of activity, but then it became less and less and now we have in one year as much posts as we had in 3-4 days in 2012.
Also we have very few informations on it on the web : the wikipedia page, the Pranav Mistry page on his website, the github and Google Code.
Every project has a reason to be given up by its community but why did this one? It seemed so promising and has so much potential uses but it looks like no project has really been launched and people just downloaded it and thought like "okay, nice" and then forgot about it.
I do work on it for my final school project but it looks like pretty much nobody cares about it for years.

vasanth kumar

Jan 24, 2019, 5:20:07 AM1/24/19
to Rémi Mexia, SixthSense Developers
Nice Remi to see the mail in this forum.

In my opinion the complexity of building the device.. what Pranav showcased it was a proof.. when the community started working on it, thats where people realized the complexity of the project.

and not everyone has a fully functional code.. few got the app working and wasnt able to get the device interfaced properly or some or the other issues.

putting it all together on a single device and the cost involved to build a device should be considered.

for a school project, yes it can be demoed, but think how you can make it into a product.. which you can carry like a phone.

--
Code: https://github.com/sixthsense
Discussion: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ss_dev?hl=en

thanks and regards

R.Vasanth kumar
http://plexydev.tumblr.com/

Rémi Mexia

Jan 24, 2019, 5:47:22 AM1/24/19
to SixthSense Developers
Thank you for being so fast to answer. I though I was going to wait for quite a while.
By the way I don't know if I did use the right way to answer because I never used Google Groups before and I don't know how it works.

I was going to use it on a laptop I would carry in a bag (It seems complicated eough and my technical abilities aren't very high. Then I'll probably try another device like a phone (but I would need to port the program on Android) or a Rasperry Pi.

Still I don't understand how come that a big company didn't used it yet since they can handle some high costs and can have some technical experts to handle the technical difficulties.

vasanth kumar

Jan 24, 2019, 6:12:07 AM1/24/19
to Rémi Mexia, SixthSense Developers
I was going to use it on a laptop I would carry in a bag (It seems complicated eough and my technical abilities aren't very high. Then I'll probably try another device like a phone (but I would need to port the program on Android) or a Rasperry Pi.
Vasanth>> Exactly, thats how all the people here were trying to get this up and running. app running on the laptop and have a camera in the hat.
the markers on hand. Once that works, RasberryPi or any single board computers are tried. port the apps, i think someone already did that.. but i am not sure about the code being available in public.

Still I don't understand how come that a big company didn't used it yet since they can handle some high costs and can have some technical experts to handle the technical difficulties.
Vasanth>> Might be they didnt see any return on investment. or they lack vision :)

--
Code: https://github.com/sixthsense
Discussion: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/ss_dev?hl=en
---