How to Chant Nama

ShastriX

May 22, 2012, 5:43:26 AM5/22/12
to ggSriBrahmaChaitanya

There was a very nice pointer on how to chant nama in yesterday'spravachan of Sri Brahmachaitanya Maharaj:
Exert Yourself to Remember Nama

There is no sadhana so subtle and yet so gross as nama. One who wants to say anything most earnestly, says, "I tell you this from the bottom of my heart (or, literally 'the navel'.)". So nama, too, should be taken from the bottom of the heart, or the navel, because all desires spring from there. When it is made the seat of nama, it will gradually dislodge desire and totally extinguish it in the end. Nama should be practised not superficially, casually, but sincerely and insistently. Let us not worry as to how we shall respond to sensuous pleasures when all desire becomes extinct.
The navel (solar plexus, to be exact) is, of course, the location of theManipura chakra.

In his masterly TravelsCrichton says that this chakra is highly developed in Westerners.

I tend to think of it as the chakra of rajas, and the seat of desires.  Annihilate them through nama and experience what happens.

Message has been deleted